Go on then, what do we think of the lace show jacket?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm all for a bit if non conformity and sticking it to tradition but I think aesthetically this particular get up just looks a bit bleurgh. Even a long sleeve shirt under the jacket would reduce the busy-ness and make it all hang together better. And I'd have gone for monochrome feathers as well.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think she's inspirational as well as being a bloody good rider. Would I wear it - no. I am a traditionalist and old but realise that in order to move with the times, we have to change.

Who would have thought 10 or 20 years ago we would be wearing tights to ride in? Colourful long boots with bling, blingy browbands?

She always looks amazing and I admire her hugely for her non-conformism.

But why do you think she is inspirational? there are a zillion extremely good junior riders out there who could and might equally have achieved what this young lady has done (and more!) - had they the same privileged and sporting background that this young person has had to give her a leg up on the way to Equestrian stardom and competitive success (excuse the pun ;) )

In my mind, a young rider who is inspirational and worthy of other young would be competitive riders emulation, is one who has risen through the ranks with exemplary riding skill, damn hard work and determination to succeed despite their origins being far removed from the giddy heights of sporting family and sponsors only too happy to jump on the affluent band wagon. Give me the youngster who has to fight for a decent ride and prove themselves time and again on their hard slog up that invisible ladder any day of the week - those young riders I have huge respect for.

yup I agree and I also think she's spoken out about anti-bullying and promoting kindness and diversity too

And why the mention of her supporting, or perhaps more a case of uttering a brief nod towards the current hot potato of bullying in the equestrian world ( and a hugely popular flag to pin to your mast to in the popularity stakes when you are building your public persona ) makes her noteworthy as a would be role model I really dont get?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Why are people so upset by someone's different personal style? Its possible to be an accomplished rider and a person who chooses not to blend in. The 2 are not incompatible. I'm not sure why you'd pick holes in someone for supporting anti-bullying. To me that can only be a good thing.

On the thread about what have you learned as you've got older, many people said that being nice costs nothing or words to that effect.
Yeah.
I believe in that. 🤷🏼‍♀️

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't like the lace, or the feathers, but I don't dispute her right to wear them, or like them, or the fact she's probably better than many out there as a role model (tbh I know bugger all about her other than the feathers and the lace). It's no more her fault that she's had a privileged upbringing than it is the fault of the unprivileged who haven't, I don't think it's fair to hold either of those things against someone.

catkin

Visit site
I think it's only one step away from a string vest... And it's hideously impractical - mine would've nibbled the polos out of the pocket and ripped it, and I'd be shivering in the wet British weather, which would look tremendous...

I think it does have a practical use, niche undoubtedly, but still a use......
For those of us who 'run hot' that jacket would be the perfect riposte to that stuffy rule of 'jackets must be worn' when the weather's warm ;) ;) ;)

TPO

Visit site
I couldnt care less what anyone else does or doesnt wear. Yes we can all have individual opinions about something but we dont have to share every thought especially if its unpleasant.

However (!), I do find it ironic that the ethos of "being kind" and anti bullying is to stand up for and give a voice to those that dont have one. Yet it is always the one without a voice in equestrian sports that is strapped up, held down, forced in, spurred on, hauled back and whipped "encouragingly"...

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I'm not sure why you'd pick holes in someone for supporting anti-bullying

Where have I picked holes in someone for supporting anti bullying? I simply question why if someone jumps on that bandwagon do you assume that makes them a nice person, I know of one such individual who has spouted all over the internet of how much they and we should do all we can to support the anti bullying in the Equestrian world...she is actually the biggest bitch going and runs a livery yard where she is big chief pot stirrer and trouble maker if any livery isnt actually her current favourite!

The original post asked our opinion of this person's jacket, I gave mine - I hate it and think she looks ridiculous in it. Why should I sugar coat that and be 'nice' as you seem to think we all should be? Would be a very dull old forum if we all simpered out how lovely we all are and how everything is just gorgeous and how we agree with anything and everything that is written on here.

I would far rather have honest and real opinion even if it is not the same as mine. Yeah. I believe in that.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think it does have a practical use, niche undoubtedly, but still a use......
For those of us who 'run hot' that jacket would be the perfect riposte to that stuffy rule of 'jackets must be worn' when the weather's warm ;););)

It's been such a miserable end of summer / autumn that I'd actually forgotten it was possible to be "warm" :(

Reactions: TPO

sarahann1

Visit site
Yuck, not my cup of tea at all, cheapens the sport and disrespectful to the organisers and the other competitors.

I don’t like the feathers either, she’s putting herself at an increased risk of being scalped if she comes off and they get caught or the horse stands on them. Which sort of serves her right from a ‘you should know better’ point of view, but it’s really not fair on the folk who’ve got to mop up the mess and sort her out afterwards.

My tolerance for nonsense and stupidity get less every day I get older!

milliepops

Visit site
Where have I picked holes in someone for supporting anti bullying? I simply question why if someone jumps on that bandwagon do you assume that makes them a nice person, I know of one such individual who has spouted all over the internet of how much they and we should do all we can to support the anti bullying in the Equestrian world...she is actually the biggest bitch going and runs a livery yard where she is big chief pot stirrer and trouble maker if any livery isnt actually her current favourite!

The original post asked our opinion of this person's jacket, I gave mine - I hate it and think she looks ridiculous in it. Why should I sugar coat that and be 'nice' as you seem to think we all should be? Would be a very dull old forum if we all simpered out how lovely we all are and how everything is just gorgeous and how we agree with anything and everything that is written on here.

I would far rather have honest and real opinion even if it is not the same as mine. Yeah. I believe in that.

righto. Well if you know someone like that then perhaps address your cynical concerns to them instead of some random pro rider that actually comes across as a genuinely nice person.

JFTD has already addressed the point about her background. Yeah she's had a leg up from her upbringing (lots of pros have) but anyone who knows horses knows how hard you have to work to get to the top of any equestrian sport, and for someone to be seriously eyeing up the olympics I reckon that reflects talent and effort and I can admire that.
There may be other young less privileged hard working riders out there, making it or trying to. great stuff, that doesn't take anything away from anyone else IMO. You can admire and find inspiration in both. I expect the struggling riders find those at the top inspirational... or aspirational at least.

I just don't understand the need to tear someone down just for doing their best and having a bit of fun along the way? That's not simpering, I don't think her style is gorgeous (I've already said it's not for me) , I just am not going to shoot her down for being different, or look for any other ways to tear strips off her or her achievements.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like lace jackets, rather than a cardigan for work, as imo it looks smarter and rather more 'formal' but I wouldn't wear one for riding, it would give no more protection in the event of a fall than a t-shirt, which I had drilled into me as a child 'is not suitable for riding, because your arms are uncovered'.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I just don't understand the need to tear someone down just for doing their best and having a bit of fun along the way? That's not simpering, I don't think her style is gorgeous (I've already said it's not for me) , I just am not going to shoot her down for being different, or look for any other ways to tear strips off her or her achievements.

where have I or anyone else torn her down? where have I shot her down for being different? where have I attacked her for being from a privileged background? You do tend to read far more into comments and opinions than was originally written dont you?

Really millipops for someone who strongly advocates "if you cant say something nice etc. etc". you do have rather a tendency to jump on particular member's posts and twist up any of their comments to present them in a totally different and negative light than the original intention and meaning. But I am sure it is purely coincidental and you wouldn't deliberately set out to do that would you? After all that could be misconstrued as bullying and being just a little bit of a not very nice person?

JFTDWS

Visit site
She's fairly damned if she does and damned if she doesn't - if she supports the anti-bullying campaign, and speaks out, she's just jumping on a bandwagon. If she doesn't, I guess she must think bullying is fair game, by tacit implication. She can't help her upbringing any more than the rest of us.

So there really is no way she could please some folk... It's one thing not to like her style, or not to like her tack / riding (I haven't seen any more than the photos upthread - I'm not commenting), but to assume that you know her motives are base and dismiss her for that? It's a bit unnecessary and bizarre.

milliepops

Visit site
my instincts are not to engage with this MrsJ because it always seems to descend to you name calling and accusing people of bullying YOU,
but it's a slow day so
a few snippets from your own posts that illustrate why I think you're tearing her down in a negative way - if I've misinterpreted them then I'm sorry but perhaps you may find the feedback useful to see why it is taken that way?

Firstly you described her as looking "feffing ridiculous", and being a "circus",
then in your reply to nicnac remarking that she found her inspirational, you used condescending language about her family background & "affluent bandwagon"
then in your reply to me a cynical remark about her "uttering a brief nod" to an antibullying stance in order to further her career
next there was an irrelevant rant about someone totally unconnected and their antibullying comments which seemed hypocritical to you, yet there is no evidence that Dani Goldstein is remotely similar
finishing with a hostile barb about a comment I made about kindless costing nothing.

Can you see why your tone comes across as "attacking", as you've put it, and negative?

i'm not likely to ever meet Dani Goldstein, I don't follow SJ with any great interest, I don't really care one way or the other about lace jackets or feathers, I just think it's better to take someone who clearly works really hard and tries to be a positive voice in horse sport at face value.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
In my mind, a young rider who is inspirational and worthy of other young would be competitive riders emulation, is one who has risen through the ranks with exemplary riding skill, damn hard work and determination to succeed despite their origins being far removed from the giddy heights of sporting family and sponsors only too happy to jump on the affluent band wagon. Give me the youngster who has to fight for a decent ride and prove themselves time and again on their hard slog up that invisible ladder any day of the week - those young riders I have huge respect for.

if you've not come to the realisation that being successful in equestrian sports mostly means coming from money, hard work, varying levels of talent and quite a lot of luck then you've not being paying attention. It has always been that we all know very talented riders who've never had the lucky break or enough money to really make it to the top. life isn't always fair and the days of builder's sons making the top on a horse they bought for 40 guineas are long gone.
But where do you draw the line? Fox Pitt, comes from money?All of the extended Whitaker family?

JFTDWS

Visit site
if you've not come to the realisation that being successful in equestrian sports mostly means coming from money, hard work, varying levels of talent and quite a lot of luck then you've not being paying attention. It has always been that we all know very talented riders who've never had the lucky break or enough money to really make it to the top. life isn't always fair and the days of builder's sons making the top on a horse they bought for 40 guineas are long gone.
But where do you draw the line? Fox Pitt, comes from money?All of the extended Whitaker family?

Jock Paget did OK for an ex-bricky... Can't think of many others!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
millipops as always you are determined to carry things on to ensure you end up with the last word, so work away you are getting very repetitive and boring now and if you are really so obtuse that you truly read all that gumph into my opinion on this thread then perhaps it would be better if you went with your instinct and ignored my input - perhaps put me on user ignore might be sensible, but then if your day is so slow that it amuses you then feel free to carry on.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
'I wanted to design something ultra feminine'

No you have browsed ebay. Plenty of choice of jacket on there if you want to be different.
I wear what I want to, but I don't need a lot of instagram followers and publicity to 'get my brand' out there.
I can be an idiot in private.:D