Gordon Elliott

meleeka

Visit site
Caroline Flack, anyone?
I think he needed to be punished for bringing the sport into disrepute. It seems the norm these days for justice not to be served unless there is an outcry on social media. If there wasnt a fuss yesterday, would he have a ban now? Probably not. I’m sure when he allowed himself to be photographed he didn’t expect it to get into the public domain, but things do and he probably should have thought about that at the time. He isn’t some young and stupid boy like the ones on the video above.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I'm assuming that's directed at me.

I believe if you do the crime you deserve the time, but that the judgement and punishment should be dished out by the appropriate authority, not a load of increasingly vicious keyboard warriors (who clearly have never done anything stupid or inappropriate in their entire lives).

Agreed - None of us are perfect but then most of us don't represent a sport/industry in a professional capacity, where there are standards and an image to be maintained.

Gordon's level of stupid and inappropriate is off the scale and he will pay a heavy price for letting his ego get the better of him.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think he needed to be punished for bringing the sport into disrepute. It seems the norm these days for justice not to be served unless there is an outcry on social media. If there wasnt a fuss yesterday, would he have a ban now? Probably not. I’m sure when he allowed himself to be photographed he didn’t expect it to get into the public domain, but things do and he probably should have thought about that at the time. He isn’t some young and stupid boy like the ones on the video above.

I agree, he should be punished by the relevant authority. I never said he shouldn't be.

Caroline Flack wasn't "young and stupid" either. Her case never got to court to be judged by the appropriate authority because she killed herself first. Short memories.

Gingerwitch

Visit site

I believe if you do the crime you deserve the time, but that the judgement and punishment should be dished out by the appropriate authority, not a load of increasingly vicious keyboard warriors (who clearly have never done anything stupid or inappropriate in their entire lives).
We have all done stupid things, usually in our teenage years but then we grow up and realise that actions have consequences both good and bad.
But whatever I did in my youth I would never have been as arrogant as this man, to be photographed on the very sentient beings that give him his livelyhood. Sitting on a dead animal, smirking then when caught out he does not have a backbone and say, I was an idiot and I am sorry. No it was I sat to take a phone call, I did not think. Well I bet your thinking now.

meleeka

Visit site
I agree, he should be punished by the relevant authority. I never said he shouldn't be.

Caroline Flack wasn't "young and stupid" either. Her case never got to court to be judged by the appropriate authority because she killed herself first. Short memories.
Caroline Flack was tried by speculation, rather than facts. It should never have been in the public domain (via police) until she was proven to be guilty. This isn’t the same at all, his guilt is already proven (unless you believe he mistook the horse for a chair).

Apizz2019

Visit site
Caroline Flack, anyone?

I know what you're getting at, the whole trial by social media and the effect this can have, however, in the case of Gordon Elliott, the evidence is irrefutable, it's there in black and white, no matter what his excuse.

Sadly for Caroline, her case never got to trial because she was hounded by many keyboard warriors who took it upon themselves to pass verdict with no evidence whatsoever, aside from what had been reported in the gutter press.

I don't think parallels can be drawn between Caroline and Gordon. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's a tad disrespectful to compare them.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Says the woman who has a whole thread running on the basis of people not being judged by others :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That thread was created specifically because of the problem you are pointing out, that everyone has the right to an opinion. It was created as a place where people were asked not to make judgements, for people in the HHO community who needed a pressure release that day during the hugely stressful time we are all having over Covid.

The thread, if anyone needs it today:

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/the-safe-place-to-feel-down-thread.787475/

Last edited:

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The BBC has reported the British racing authority has issued a ban so he won’t be presenting horses at Cheltenham but as Elf advised the horses can be transferred to another trainer. The Irish press has been pretty damning in their condemnation.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
That thread was created specifically because of the problem you are pointing out, that everyone has the right to an opinion. It was created as a place where people were asked not to make judgements, for people who needed a pressure release that day during the hugely stressful time we are all having over Covid.

The thread, if anyone needs it today:

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/the-safe-place-to-feel-down-thread.787475/

Oh I see you edited your previous post ...

dogatemysalad

Visit site

I agree with this. Trial by media is a worrying trend.

Having seen the photo, I felt it was a vile and disrespectful thing to do. Other than that, I cannot comment on the man. It maybe that he is a wonderful trainer who cares for the wellbeing of his horses.
Was the photo just a foolish and rather nasty moment in an otherwise decent career, or was it an indication that the man has no integrity at all ? If it's the latter, I'd expect more investigations to follow.
If it's the former, then surely it's enough for a temporary ban, a fine etc and sincere apology, without cancelling every aspect of his life and work permanently?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Caroline Flack was tried by speculation, rather than facts. It should never have been in the public domain (via police) until she was proven to be guilty. This isn’t the same at all, his guilt is already proven (unless you believe he mistook the horse for a chair).

But that entirely proves my point that people are making their own judgments and trialling others on SM before the relevant and appropriate authorities get to do it.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Oh I see you edited your previous post ...

I'm not sure this is relevant to this thread or have I missed something?

I asked a few weeks ago on a thread, after I was shot down over a comment, that isn't the purpose of forums to have an open discussion and give your opinion.

Apparently, it's seems not so if your comment doesn't fit the agenda or the general concensus.

I'm of the opinion that it's healthy to have differing views and as humans, we all form opinions and make judgements every day - its how we're wired!

And judge Gordon we will, rightly so imo, as the evidence is irrefutable and the excuse given is something I'd expect my 6 year old to say......not a professional sportsperson at the top of his game!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
But that entirely proves my point that people are making their own judgments and trialling others on SM before the relevant and appropriate authorities get to do it.

The verdict isn't in doubt, though, is it? The trial is over, he's guilty. Only the sentence is still to be decided.

We could have a whole thread about the evils of social media but it is what it is, it's here, it's not going away.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, do you want the thread locked or something?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
This is a thread about George Elliot.
He is a middle aged man.
His livelihood is from the blood and sweat of animals.
He is in an industry that already has a cloud over it.
He thought it clever to gloat at the death of an animal.
Its now affecting him directly.
So now he is squirming.
If he had been a man and owned up and said he realised what a distasteful thing to do, rather than offer up I sat down without thinking. I would have had more respect for him.
Bet if you called those silly boys out on that video they would cry with embarrassment.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I would say he finally has someone help him with PR. I think his initially response was lacking in the extreme and he needed to say sorry at the very least.

I don't want a social media witch hunt but its good to see the authorities acting...as they should.....and in the very least it will give others pause as well - including young jockeys on the gallops.

Clodagh

Visit site
The BBC has reported the British racing authority has issued a ban so he won’t be presenting horses at Cheltenham but as Elf advised the horses can be transferred to another trainer. The Irish press has been pretty damning in their condemnation.

I believe that ban is not a final decision, if the BHA think the Irish have punished him enough then they may lift it. I obviously have no idea what they would consuder enough.
I'm not sure he should get a permanent ban, but a suspension would be a good result and hopefully some owners removing their horses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would say he finally has someone help him with PR. I think his initially response was lacking in the extreme and he needed to say sorry at the very least.

I don't want a social media witch hunt but its good to see the authorities acting...as they should.....and in the very least it will give others pause as well - including young jockeys on the gallops.

I doubt that a SM witch hunt will be needed to severely curtail his career. Unless his owners are extremely well satisfied with his performance over time, they *will* move their horses. As I understand it, making a living from training can be quite precarious because owners become dissatisfied on the basis of all sorts of things that are not necessarily reasonable, or even horse-related. And tbh, a social media discussion only becomes a witch hunt, if the person under discussion gets involved, at least by reading it, and cares about what is being said. I don't know the man at all but I would doubt that he will care about the opinions of strangers.

Clodagh

Visit site
I doubt that a SM witch hunt will be needed to severely curtail his career. Unless his owners are extremely well satisfied with his performance over time, they *will* move their horses. As I understand it, making a living from training can be quite precarious because owners become dissatisfied on the basis of all sorts of things that are not necessarily reasonable, or even horse-related. And tbh, a social media discussion only becomes a witch hunt, if the person under discussion gets involved, at least by reading it, and cares about what is being said. I don't know the man at all but I would doubt that he will care about the opinions of strangers.

Thing is he is a good trainer who gets good results. I don't particulary like him as an indivudual, solely based on how he comes across on tv, but I imagine on the whole his owners are pleased with his racving results.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Thing is he is a good trainer who gets good results. I don't particulary like him as an indivudual, solely based on how he comes across on tv, but I imagine on the whole his owners are pleased with his racving results.

The general public don't often see the harsh reality of the racing industry - the general concensus will sway owners opinions vey quickly.

The owners may be happy with the results he gets but if the general public were to be less that supportive of this trainer, that will likely change what they actually do about their horses under Gordon's care.

I doubt many owners would want to or can afford to lose money to remain loyal if public opinion is such that race enthusiasts veto this trainer and the horses he runs.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Says the woman who has a whole thread running on the basis of people not being judged by others :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I find it almost impressive (and sad) how you and a few others manage to turn a thread of any topic into an opportunity to bully/belittle/pick on YCBM. If you don't like what she has to say then be a grown up about it and put her on UI.

doodle

Visit site
Yes I think they get the best care when alive. But as soon as dead, injured or just not winning they are discarded without a second thought.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Yes I think they get the best care when alive. But as soon as dead, injured or just not winning they are discarded without a second thought.

One only has to look at equine advertising to say that for a lot of horses sadly. The 20 + yr olds looking for companion homes etc. Racing actually does a lot to aid the rehoming of ex racehorses.