Gordon Elliott

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the thing is he is supposed to be at the top of his game and his public exposure means he needs to consider the sports image in every small thing he does, he is the top irish trainer single handedly in charge of the image, the power is in his hand at this moment in time to raise or crash down the sports image in the eyes of the world

i have been to so many international sj competitions all over and i have never seen a rider beat a horse in the ring or before and after, at lower levels maybe
there is a post on the news page about someone beating their horse in the ring, and not at the lower level... if he does that in full view, what does he do in private?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
It's not just that photo- it's the fact that another video showing similar has come out showing someone also involved in his set up. I think this suggests a culture towards the horses that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I also think it's made people aware of the fact that horses do die during training, which I think is something some people weren't aware of/didn't consider.

Only because bad eggs exists, I don't label all other eggs as probably inedible.

I've only heard about the jockey video, not seen it, so I won't talk about that, but I've seen the photo, and read an explanation where G.E. was quoted saying his phone rang, and he sat down automatically, because he usually sits down when talking on his phone.
I find it very hard to believe that he would have sat down on the grass verge if the horse hadn't been there. Added to that, I thought it looked as if he did the V sign while the photo was taken. I think the photo looks despicable, but if it actually shows his true attitude towards horses, or if he had a spectacularly stupid moment, I don't know.

But even if it does show his true attitude to horses, I don't know of any foolproof profession, which is 100% safeguarded from that unsuitable persons can't get into the profession. I think it's better that the idiots/unsuitable persons are found out, so that they hopefully can change profession, and like with the eggs I mentioned first, only because some are idiots, usually I still presume that the majority is not.

As for horses dying during training, since anything living sadly can die, at any moment, I hope people realise that it would be more strange if it never happened.
Sometimes it turns out the death is related to what they was doing at the moment (which doesn't need to be under rider related), sometimes it turns out they would have died regardless if they'd been out eating grass in a field, standing in a stable, or something else.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Gordon Elliot has not been videoed beating the cr*p out of a live (or dead) horse. The two things do not equate. Sitting on a dead horse is not cruel. Being photographed sitting on one is stupid, but not cruel.

Lydia Hislop wrote a good piece about the vitriol he has experienced v Davy Russell punching the horse in the head last year, (or year before) which was barely mentioned. Also other situations where cruelty had been carried out on live horses with barely any comment at all.

tristar

Visit site
Gordon Elliot has not been videoed beating the cr*p out of a live (or dead) horse. The two things do not equate. Sitting on a dead horse is not cruel. Being photographed sitting on one is stupid, but not cruel.

was referring to the what goes on in private no one knows

not putting the two things in the same perspective, ie beating and sitting on horses obviously

Visit site
Gordon Elliott has been banned for a year with the last 6 months suspended and has been given a €15,000 fine. The ban starts on March 9th.

He can appeal and I certainly hope he does. This will allow his string to run at Cheltenham and Aintree.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
was referring to the what goes on in private no one knows

not putting the two things in the same perspective, ie beating and sitting on horses obviously
The people who work there know, I know people who know people who work there. The stable is known for good standards of care, and the people who work there are some of the best.

fankino04

Visit site
So if he's suspended for 12 months does that just mean his assistant trainer steps up and the yard continues as before under different name or the yard is shut down? I suspect the former with him probably heavily involved in overseeing??

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
So if he's suspended for 12 months does that just mean his assistant trainer steps up and the yard continues as before under different name or the yard is shut down? I suspect the former with him probably heavily involved in overseeing??

Surely if that happens GE can just train as normal, as no one will know, he then just can't physically attend meetings?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I cannot get my head around people being so vitriolic over a picture of a horse that died in training (sadly all sorts of horses drop dead sometimes) and less worked up about the blatant cruelty to living breathing ones (like showjumpers beating the sh1t out of a horse in the ring, or showing producers leaving horses standing in tight draw reins, or rollkur or people who starve their animals.
of us have ever met, if that.

This forum has always reacted in outrage to rolkur, beatings and the other examples of mistreatment and cruelty you mention.

The vitriol over Gordon Elliott is simply down to the lack of respect shown to a good servant who died doing what it was asked to do.

Last edited:

Parrotperson

Visit site
Gordon Elliott has been banned for a year with the last 6 months suspended and has been given a €15,000 fine. The ban starts on March 9th.

He can appeal and I certainly hope he does. This will allow his string to run at Cheltenham and Aintree.

Elf. I bow to your superior knowledge. Can his horses run under another trainer's name at Cheltenham and Aintree?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
This forum has always reacted in outrage to rolkur, beatings and the other examples of mistreatment and cruelty you mention.

The vitriol over Gordon Elliott is simply down to the lack of respect shown to a good servant who died doing what it was asked to do.

I'm not seeing that much outrage on here about the whip wielding showjumper (who is sitting on a living breathing horse while he physically abuses it).