Happy Days For ISH Breeders

Irishlife

Visit site
Good luck to all the Irish horses at Hickstead this weekend. Satisfying to see some true Irish Breeding in the International classes.

The guy who trains my young un's has two through to the Speed Derby final and also Derby on Sunday. Fair play to him, a jobbing rider who is just under the radar and works bloody hard.

Which leads on to the young horse production question which to my mind is every bit as important as the breeding in the first place. We need more good producers and educated riders to make a job of the horses we have, then I do think we will see more traditional breds making a mark again. There are those riders who can get every ounce out of a horse and those that make a disaster of a horse so what is the point of breeding if the production is not right?

Irishlife

Visit site
Yes, he is on LCD (Billy). 16 faults last time. also Kilrush Road (Diamond Serpent). Good few others in the start lists with some ISH breeding.

Did not mention names as never sure if people like it though I am sure he won't mind the compliments.

btw - Diamond Serpent has no breeding recorded yet someone must know - any clues???

Where you jumping this weekend E? We are at Corandulla then couple of leagues in the week, just with the young ones and also got a couple of show hunters out (yawn!!!)

Irishlife

Visit site
I take it all back, he didn't start in the Derby trial so no Derby this year. Hope he does well in the Speed Derby though. Olive has two in the Derby, Alex has Courtown. Will look forward to CM Finn's round!!!!

Interesting for Will Funnell, if he pulls it off on Mondriann then he equals Eddie - 4 on the same horse, but he also has Billy Congo in.........

Eothain

Visit site
No where this weekend. Will have an expensive weekend next week with Blessington. So while I was going to try and get out a Touchdown/Cruising youngster today to the Saturday league in Mullingar, I'll wait until Friday because they're having a three day show. So I'll jump him on friday and off to Coilog for Blessington on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm sure he won't mind. Nothing like a bit of publicity!

Billy Congo ... What a horse! I love him. Scanned my Jasmine mare in foal to Vechta on thursday, for those not in the know, Vechta is Billy Congo's sire. The mare went in foal with twins but thankfully lost one for the day 33 scan. I'll be honest, fingers crossed for a filly!

Off to Lancelot for her then next year.

Last edited:

Irishlife

Visit site
Congrats on Jasmine. Would love to use Lancelot with my non Irish hat on but he is too closely related to the mare. Terrific horse though.

As for me I am STILL waiting for positive scans I am getting sick of it at this stage

Eothain

Visit site
It's funny. This year I used Vechta on her. A successful jumping stallion already with Internationally competing progeny including Billy Congo for GB and Billy Bianca for the US. He is sired by Voltaire.

Next year I hope to use Lancelot on her. A successful jumping stallion already with Internationally competing progeny including Rosinus for GB and Tristan for the US. He is sired by Voltaire.

See a pattern?

My Duca Di Busted mare is scanned in foal to Puissance and my Classic Vision was covered for the second time on thursday to Sirillo. I didn't use Watermill Swatch in the end.

Two mares in foal, one to go. One foal left to arrive out of a mare who's coming back into work and will hopefully compete next year in foal to Condios.

At least thats Plan A!!!

rebel mountain

Visit site
Yes, he is on LCD (Billy). 16 faults last time. also Kilrush Road (Diamond Serpent). Good few others in the start lists with some ISH breeding.

Did not mention names as never sure if people like it though I am sure he won't mind the compliments.

btw - Diamond Serpent has no breeding recorded yet someone must know - any clues???

Where you jumping this weekend E? We are at Corandulla then couple of leagues in the week, just with the young ones and also got a couple of show hunters out (yawn!!!)

think diamond serpant is by king of diamonds out of a water serpant mare called serp or vice versa
just going by what it says in the 2006 field directory

ewf

Visit site
Poking my head in from lurkdom...ewf, are you talking about Prescott's Diamond (Flagmount King ex The Blarney Rose/Holycross)? Saw him jump at his inspections and thought he had more than a bit of talent over poles (free-jumping anyway). Quite good mover for an RID as well, and ID-typey.

Would be interested to see pics of the 3/4 brother if this is the horse you mean.

Liz in America

Got it in one :p

Charlies owner also bred Paddy(Prescotts Diamonds) and Rosie was in foal to Carrabawn view when she was sold.

Also to criticise the inspection process, Paddy was inspected and approved in the US and was inspected and graded S1 by the same(exact same) judges in Ireland

I'll see what I have of Charlie here and PM you Liz :)

Simsar

Visit site
Billy who?? Sorry you mean the black horse I pass every day YUK. Sorry only joking, Will was on him the other day when I stopped to have a chat about our colt, its alright I suppose.:p

Eothain

Visit site
And as I lay this thread down to sleep, the info in it I hope readers keep!

Folks, I think this thread has run it's course and as the song says, it's time to say goodbye.

Breeding in Ireland is almost as divisive as politics. In my mind, the horses named in my original post last march have plenty to offer the ISH going forward. The choice is there, if you want to use warmblood stallions like Cornet Obolensky and co then work away. They go out and compete week after week after week. They must be doing something right. I still say the 1970s brigade have their heads shoved up their backsides and no longer can see reality but hey, let them off to try and salvage glory days we'll never see again.

The tb x id cross has, like this thread, run it's course on the world stage and now we need something more.

To the American posters, I'd like to thank you for your contributions but I'd like you to understand that we're sick of seeing your showjumpers buying horses from the continent. If our horses were good enough, you wouldn't have to travel so far. It's a pity that there isn't another couple of hundred horses like Flexible in this country for sale.

Flexible ... Who's he by again?

To our British colleagues, I'd like to thank you for bravely trying to get us to not breed just another warmblood. I'm sure many in this country will be only too happy to agree with you and once they produce the happy hacker bread and butter horse that will hunt and play away as an all rounder, they'll be happy. It is a pity however that few of our showjumping horses are making it on to your Nations Cup teams. The GIG Amai's and Peppermill's of this world have outclassed what we have to offer. Only through use of what's available from continental breeding will we reverse the downward trend. We must fight fire with fire. There's not too many horses like Fresh Direct Kalico Bay coming through our ranks. We must change that!!!

Kalico Bay ... What's his mother by?

To my fellow Irish, it's been fun and yes we are divided but I wish you the best of luck in your breeding programs and if any of you can breed a future superstar showjumper from only using tb and id horses, I can assure, I'll be first to tip my hat! Good luck in salvaging our sullied reputation. At least we can say we had plenty of ISHs in the Hickstead Derby. Horses like the Puissance sired Highpark Lad and the Harlequin Du Carel sired Dorada and also Kellswater Crimson, Cruising's Mickey Finn and Mo Chroi. We need more of them please!

Mo Chroi, Cruising's Mickey Finn and Kellswater Crimson ... Who's their sire?

You see I'll finish with this and when I say finish, I mean I'll finish as a regular post on this forum, I haven't much enjoyed it these past few weeks. This place is changing and not necessarily for the better.

The ID people can keep their King Of Diamonds and Clover Hills, the Warmblood fans can have their Landgrafs and Cavalier Royales, the Thoroughbred people can hold on to their Master Imps and Sea The Stars because when all is said and done, there can only ever be one absolute very best horse, of any breed, of any type, of any discipline, of any size, of any shape. There can be only one absolute very best horse of all time, one absolute very best horse to have ever lived. I leave you now with my conviction even firmer than when I joined this forum. The Warmbloods may be whooping our back sides at the moment but one horse kicked tail when he was in the ring himself and that same horse kicks tail through the achievements of his progeny and his progeny's progeny in the ring today. No one can ever take that away from us. Never ever forget that. It's a pity traditional Irish breeding hasn't given us more like him. Truly he was mana from heaven. Truly if God were a horse he would choose to be this one.

Firmly, I do believe that he is greater than all others.

Ladies and Gentlemen make sure you live out all your days knowing that the absolute very best of all time, is indeed The Great; Cruising!

My friends, it's been fun. I'm sure I'll drop in from time to time.
I bid you now farewell and think it's time we bid farewell to this thread. If an admin is reading this, I think it's time to lock this up once and for all.

Goodbye my friends

Alec Swan

Visit site
Eothain,

history alone, will decide whether you're right, or not. For myself, I believe that you are. When I next visit your delightful homeland, then I may well seek you out.

I've learnt a great deal, from the collective thoughts of all the contributors, for which I'm truly grateful.

Alec.

Irishlife

Visit site
That's true, I will sneak up behind him at a Grand Prix somewhere and tell him someone has been slating the Cruise Meister on H&H!!!

It has without question been a great few months of opinions and useful, thoughtful and interesting dialogue and everyone has made a fantastic contribution. Everything moves on and everything changes so it will be interesting to see where we are moving to given a few years. I vote for an annual reunion every March at the beginning of the breeding season entitled

"Happy Days for ISH Breeders 2011".

Thanks all and best of fortune in the future whatever your path xxxx:)

gadetra

Visit site
Here here. RIP thread too, it has to have been the most informative and interesting thread on this forum.
I like Irishlife's idea of an annual 'Happy Days for ISH Breeders' reunion thread-or would that be a comemerative thread?
Anyway, good luck everyone on what ever side of teh ISH fence you are on. Onwards and upwards!!