hats off to ellen

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It was a very good ride by her. I still hate her for her figure though
wink.gif
- no one should look that good in jods lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I wish everyone looked that good in jods.
tongue.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
Kayleigh, I have also commented on this in a past post. She really does pull at their mouths quite a lot, last time i saw her jump in a puissance (think it was on a vid of last years olympia i cannot remember) Locarno knocked it down and when he landed she smacked him. I admit she rides him quite quietly but he is the only one, she can be so rough with her hands. When i mentioned this before a lot of people were saying i was wrong, she rides larry well, and that they are big horses and she is a young girl.

Yes they are big horses but her cousin Louise is much much MUCH smaller than she is and she rides soooo quietly on every horse, if the horses afre big and strong then put a better suited bit in after all you will get more from a horse with a slightly stronger bit in and quite hands than having hands like..well i don't know how to describe it.

Found a video of the the (2001 i think) Speed Derby at Hickstead when she had Colour of Life and Great Love, granted it is a speed class so the horses had to be going flat out but the way she brought Colour of Life back before a gate was horrible
frown.gif

So Kayleigh I am 100% behind your comments.

I also agree....someone get her a hair net please.

I ride with my belly peirced (twice) so i cannot be judgmental there apart from mine don't have 4 inches of dangles on the end of them.

Rambo

Visit site
I saw her interviewed before the Puissance (along with a few other riders) and thought she came across as a genuinely nice person. She was clearly embarrassed that she had been 'made' to show off her belly button on national television......but I for one enjoyed it
tongue.gif

I did get the impression that all the riders had been given a crash course on what to say and how to say it beforehand though, as a lot of the interviews felt a little staged
shocked.gif

Overall, I think the coverage (only saw the BBC stuff) has been very good, and can only be positive for our sport
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lol you didnt sound moody, yeah she's a good rider but i could do that if i'd been given the oppurtinies she's had, doesn't make her less of a rider, i just don't give her as much praise as someone who's struggled and done it by thereselves out of natural ability
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Tim Stockdale!
smile.gif
I have lots of respect for him! I mean how many girls under 20 get given a million pound horse....not even Zara did! The press are moaning about 23k.

severnmiles

Visit site
"Opportunities or not, if you have talent then you have it."

I can't remember who now but one of the jumpers, might have been Graham Fletcher said these days you don't need much talent to get to the top in showjumping, he said you need serious dedication, world class horses, a decent trainer and very deep pockets.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Mmmm not a massive fan tbh. She does seem like a lovely girl - and is certainly gutsy and fearless.

Now Jessica Kurten - that's a different story all together. What a class act.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*Dermiut.....you're an eeeejit*
wink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Dermiut.....you're an eeeejit*

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooooopppppsssss
blush.gif

Gawd I'm stupid
frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember who now but one of the jumpers, might have been Graham Fletcher said these days you don't need much talent to get to the top in showjumping, he said you need serious dedication, world class horses, a decent trainer and very deep pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need guts....in abundance....those WCQ tracks are horrendous
shocked.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tbh i dont think that much talent is needed

[/ QUOTE ]

I could go off on one here very easily but won't
mad.gif

And I thought it was just the uninformed at the Sports Personality Awards that thought horses were push button....

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Well im sorry but like i said with the oppurtunities ellen has been given you'd think she could learn to ride a bit better
so shes learnt how to play the cameras, and....have any of you seen her backstage? not quite so sweet then

People i think are talented riders who have earnt their status....tim gredly....ben maher....nicole pavitt.....(sp) and of course leading riders like nick skelton...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tbh i dont think that much talent is needed,

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't agree with you there. I think a huge amount of talent is needed to reach the top in any sphere. How many of us could ride those horses over those fences - not many. But talent can mean many different things. You may have the 'talent' to be a great technician, but have no empathy. There's no doubt that she is a very skilled horsewoman - I really don't think that you can argue that to the contrary.

Like all things we all have our favourites for various reasons - and can establish why we like and dislike certain people.

However, to say that she is talentless is a little niaive and silly really. You may not like her and her style - but that doesn't mean she doesn't have skill.

severnmiles

Visit site
Nobody is saying horses are pushbutton, but is it talent that rides them? Or training, and we're talking the best in the UK and heaps of it!

Yes she rides Locarno nicely but we'll see what happens when he retires, the talented people can get a tune out of anything, like JW or Andrew Nicholson in eventing.

EllieBeast

Visit site
I am of the opinion that talent, guts and bravado are all needed to get to this level of sj. Are you saying that ANY rider could reach this level if they had the money she does? I think not.

kayleigh_and_rocky

Hm well that was a sweeping statement and i didnt mean it in general, but i've seen far better riders than her and they havnt made it that far, shes made it that far because she has the name to showcase herself and im sorry you cant deny that. She may be able to ride, but like i said there are FAR better riders i see out competing that cant get to that level because they cant get the funding etc etc.

Sorry i just dont like this obsession with 'omg ellens so great' its like a pack of zombies (not you amymay in general i mean) when really actually shes not as good as people say.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well im sorry but like i said with the oppurtunities ellen has been given you'd think she could learn to ride a bit better
so shes learnt how to play the cameras, and....have any of you seen her backstage? not quite so sweet then

People i think are talented riders who have earnt their status....tim gredly....ben maher....nicole pavitt.....(sp) and of course leading riders like nick skelton...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kind of contradicting yourself there....you said not much talent was required then listed a load of talented riders
crazy.gif

BTW...Tim has the biggest budget for SJ'ers in the country, and the biggest backup team too. Were you aware that his horses are produced by someone else upto the level where he can take them over ?

kayleigh_and_rocky

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is saying horses are pushbutton, but is it talent that rides them? Or training, and we're talking the best in the UK and heaps of it!

Yes she rides Locarno nicely but we'll see what happens when he retires, the talented people can get a tune out of anything, like JW or Andrew Nicholson in eventing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!! Thats what i was trying to get at. She can get a tune out of him but not many others and i've never seen a rider as unsympathetic and heavy handed as ellen (not to mention spoilt and brattish as she came across on friday) yeh she can work the cameras but just remember that backstage things are a lot different.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She may be able to ride, but like i said there are FAR better riders i see out competing that cant get to that level because they cant get the funding etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
And there is the story of all things equestrian. If you don't have the money - end of story!
tongue.gif

Weezy

Visit site
You have to have talent - sure anyone could get on a horse and point and jump over ONE fence or a straight grid, to keep a good rhythm round 14 jumping efforts, hitting each fence correctly and preparing for all the turns and having the info in your head about where you need to collect and extend, push on and take a chance or sit and wait - THAT is a skill and it is required even on the most straight forward horse - you cannot sit and hope round too many courses of that size!

However I am not a fan of her attitude, but that doesnt take anything away from the fact she CAN guide her horses round the biggest tracks in the world

severnmiles

Visit site
But JJ, Completely dismissing talent for a minute do you think someone with her dedication, her horses (millions of pounds worth) her training, her support team e.t.c couldn't reach Grand Prix level?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You have to have talent - sure anyone could get on a horse and point and jump over ONE fence or a straight grid, to keep a good rhythm round 14 jumping efforts, hitting each fence correctly and preparing for all the turns and having the info in your head about where you need to collect and extend, push on and take a chance or sit and wait - THAT is a skill and it is required even on the most straight forward horse - you cannot sit and hope round too many courses of that size!

[/ QUOTE ]

But Weezy don't you think thats training and not talent?