Healing vibes needed

fankino04

Visit site
Well she still doesn't want to move but now I don't know if that's the stronger drugs making her drowsy or pain stopping her from moving. I guess a few days of absolute total rest will be good for the injured tendon and a few days after the jab tomorrow if she is still sleepy will try weening her off the others, might be making the dreaded call sooner than 2 weeks at this rate though ?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Resting is as you said @fankino04 , probably just good for her injury at the moment. With that medicine cocktail, in my amateur opinion, I would expect her to be more drowsy than interested in moving around. Even though really bad pain levels can make you tired, they usually also makes it difficult to relax, and be truly drowsy. So I doubt that she's still in pain.

It's understandable if you worry that this might be it, but to put it bluntly, as long as she's drowsy, sleepy, and not in pain, it doesn't do her any harm to be alive to give the medication a chance to help her.

fankino04

Visit site
It's so
Resting is as you said @fankino04 , probably just good for her injury at the moment. With that medicine cocktail, in my amateur opinion, I would expect her to be more drowsy than interested in moving around. Even though really bad pain levels can make you tired, they usually also makes it difficult to relax, and be truly drowsy. So I doubt that she's still in pain.

It's understandable if you worry that this might be it, but to put it bluntly, as long as she's drowsy, sleepy, and not in pain, it doesn't do her any harm to be alive to give the medication a chance to help her.
Thanks for those wise words, I'm a terrible doom mongerer and hate doing nothing even if the plan is do nothing

Bellasophia

Visit site
Do read the link I gave on other thread..all the meds have side effects..including drowsiness..the injection also has info stating the immediate results can be spectacular but maybe not long lasting,so do take things a day at a time.I’d let her have a go with the meds..potter in the garden etc..and see how it goes.In the meantime don’t overthink things,it will change,nothing.You have to also take care of yourself too…this is hard I know,but what will be will be….you are doing your very best ,if not more ,for her.

fankino04

Visit site
I'm the same as you when it comes to mine, it's much easier to remember to be optimistic when you hear about other people's pets.
The stories I'm hearing about librella for arthritis are amazing, just wish I'd known about it sooner. I don't actually feel that the arthritis is something she can't overcome, it's the injury plus arthritis that makes me question keeping her going but I guess that's why she has a deadline. Some stories say dog was improving after s few days, others say 6 weeks so I know I'm going to feel bad saying PTS in a few weeks if no better when others have held out longer in order to get the right result.

fankino04

Visit site
Do read the link I gave on other thread..all the meds have side effects..including drowsiness..the injection also has info stating the immediate results can be spectacular but maybe not long lasting,so do take things a day at a time.I’d let her have a go with the meds..potter in the garden etc..and see how it goes.In the meantime don’t overthink things,it will change,nothing.You have to also take care of yourself too…this is hard I know,but what will be will be….you are doing your very best ,if not more ,for her.
Thanks, if we could get back to pottering in the garden is be happy it's that when got up with a sling she is refusing to even try to use her legs now ( won't / can't get up without sling) but maybe that's the gaba side effects, previous Malamute also lost control of his legs on it, will discuss with vet tonight and maybe take that one away.

fankino04

Visit site
I just stood on her tail, she didn't even flinch, safe to say the pain meds work! Vet says her not moving her legs when we get her up is the gabapentin so to just give her 1 at supper rather than the twice per day previously prescribed but she's really pleased with her response to the pain meds.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I just stood on her tail, she didn't even flinch, safe to say the pain meds work! Vet says her not moving her legs when we get her up is the gabapentin so to just give her 1 at supper rather than the twice per day previously prescribed but she's really pleased with her response to the pain meds.

That stepping mishap had an unusually fortunate outcome, since you thereby know that she's definitely pain free. :)

Fingers crossed that adjusting the medication, and the injection she's getting tomorrow/later today, helps.

fankino04

Visit site
Well not sure if this is the librella or gabapentin but at 9 pm last night she started whining if we left her. She is still fine if you move any of her limbs, isn't panting and stressing when you go to her like she was on Monday ( obviously expecting me to get her on her feet for breakfast and anxious about the pain then), so think the pain meds are still working, there are a few posts on librella site saying it made their dog unwell (bad tummy, grumpy etc) in first few days, and gaba can make them anxious if they are effected by it and can't control their limbs. Thermal camera is looking much much better but I'm never sure how much I can trust that due to the large number of factors that can effect it.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}
It's probably only a small comfort now, but you've given her a good life together with you, you know you tried your best to fix her, and that the medicine cocktail has been keeping her pain free.
I presume you've booked the veterinarian that do home visits, and hope it goes as easily as possible tonight.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Last edited:

fankino04

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}
It's probably only a small comfort now, but you've given her a good life together with you, you know you tried your best to fix her, and that the medicine cocktail has been keeping her pain free.
I presume you've booked the veterinarian that do home visits, and hope it goes as easily as possible tomorrow.

Again, I'm so sorry.
Thanks, this afternoon it appears that the gaba left her system and even upping the tramadol hasn't managed her pain. She's bright and alert and wants to be up doing things but can't manage it and even without looking like she's moving much she is randomly crying in pain, vet coming at the end of her shift tonight so now she is alternating between cheese, chicken and peanut butter and nick is off to buy more sardines as she loves them so much. It's a blessing and a curse that she got so bad so quick, good coz she hasn't suffered much, bad because we haven't had the time to try new things. Can't believe on Saturday she was still pouncing on her toys and enjoying meeting friends in the park ?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
... Can't believe on Saturday she was still pouncing on her toys and enjoying meeting friends in the park ?

It's such an abrupt emptional rollercoaster for you, but from my outside point of view, it sounds quite close to the type of ending most of us hopes for. On Saturday she was fully able to do the things she enjoys, then a short illness, lots of yummy favourite treats, surrounded by the people she loves, and then it will be over.

I'm sure she'll leave a huge hole in your heart, together with loads of precious memories.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Having been in a similar situation just a few months ago (previously bright active dog struggling to walk) I think you are absolutely doing the right thing. Much as we would like to give them every chance it's not fair to keep an old dog suffering just in the hope things might improve a bit. I will be thinking of you this evening.

fankino04

Visit site
Oh cripes, I wasn't expecting that. I hope you feel she decided and you just did what she needed. I am so sorry xxx
I'd allowed myself to get a bit hopeful yesterday when the vet was out and saying how much better her pain levels were but the gabapentin was having awful side effects, without it the pain was back so couldn't keep her in pain or spend days trying different doses and hoping the librella would work, it wouldn't have been right.

SAujla

Visit site
I hope you are doing as well as can be expected today, and that Noodle got all the delicious treats she deserves.

fankino04

Visit site
I hope you are doing as well as can be expected today, and that Noodle got all the delicious treats she deserves.
I think I fed her so many treats yesterday that I actually managed to get her so full she didn't want anymore, never thought that would be possible with her lol. I'm currently feeling guilty about being so ok, then I burst into tears, then am ok again. Mostly I feel bad for coping so well but I know that's because it was the right decision at the right time.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
So sorry for your loss. After we lost our old dog, I found looking at photos of him helped. Sending you hugs xx