Helgstrand…

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Welfare within the worse world is going to become a massive, massive issue within the next few years. Unless horse sport and horse ownership cleans up its act we are going to find our events and our participation on horse ownership increasingly targeted and criticised. We all need to grow a pair and start/continue calling out obvious abuse. This extends from racing, through dressage, eventing and showjumping right down to those of us who are happy hackers or just enjoy equestrianism as a spectator. We can't stand by and be that person who says nothing.

This goes right down to grass roots level. I have said it before and I will say it many times again, the abuse seen in this yard is just as bad as the abuse seen when a 2 year old is ragged down an A road with a trap, an owner lets their horse get so overweight it suffers badly from laminitis, or when a grossly obsese rider clambers onto the back of a horse.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Helgstrand has filed an injunction against TV2 to ban the broadcast of the episode. Makes you wonder what it has on it, if he has done nothing he wouldn't care what was shown surely?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Helgstrand has filed an injunction against TV2 to ban the broadcast of the episode. Makes you wonder what it has on it, if he has done nothing he wouldn't care what was shown surely?

Well now we know he's got things to hide.

equinerebel

Visit site

Nothing says guilt like trying to silence people.

I have worked on one semi pro SJ yard and one semi-pro dressage yard in my lifetime - both were horrific and broke my heart. The SJ yard thought it suitable to leave horses in their stables tied up to side reins. The dressage yard rode with heavy hands and encouraged all staff to do the same. I did not last more than one week in either and reported what I saw to the college (they were apprenticeships). Considering both yards are still very active, I don't think anything was done.

tristar

Visit site
The psychology fascinates me.

Obviously I don’t condone it and it’s awful for the horse!

But the combination of upbringing, commercial pressure, historical training influence, IQ, personality traits etc etc … all wrapped up and leads to a situation where they either believe it’s acceptable, or deep down know it’s not but are stuck in a system and can’t find a way out

yes, but there is something deeper i am looking for, its like he has a self destruct thing, to ride like that destroys the horse, perhaps he just does not have the skill to create a partnership, or is it further proof that modern dressage is failing in its attempts to dominate training

blue hors matinee`s 2006 freestyle is quoted as the best ever, i was not impressed, i watched it again today the mare was turning her tail like a windmill on a windy day, the whole thing looked disengaged

then ride on the blooded one looked awful

the sport has lost its way

eahotson

Visit site
I recently got pulled up by HHO for mentioning the very shocking practises carried out by a UK rider. I was very disappointed about their response but not surprised. It brings it home why people like Jimmy Saville were able to do what they did because no one would put their head above the parapet.

I remember once my unhorsey dad watching GP dressage and him saying it was grotesque (early totilas days) I rolled my eyes and told him he didn’t understand. But he did understand, it was I who was lacking.
Yes everything is covered up
yes, but there is something deeper i am looking for, its like he has a self destruct thing, to ride like that destroys the horse, perhaps he just does not have the skill to create a partnership, or is it further proof that modern dressage is failing in its attempts to dominate training

blue hors matinee`s 2006 freestyle is quoted as the best ever, i was not impressed, i watched it again today the mare was turning her tail like a windmill on a windy day, the whole thing looked disengaged

then ride on the blooded one looked awful

the sport has lost its way
I agree

Burnttoast

Visit site
More on this. The decision re the injunction is on Monday

A bit awkward for Annabella Pidgley who is dating the son.
Unfortunately none of the stuff mentioned in the article surprises me. 🙁

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
More on this. The decision re the injunction is on Monday

A bit awkward for Annabella Pidgley who is dating the son.
Yes well there are rumours about what her trainer also gets up to out of site of others...

The Helgstrand doesn't surprise me, we all knew it was going to be bad which is why he is fighting it so much.

j1ffy

Visit site
Yes well there are rumours about what her trainer also gets up to out of site of others...

The Helgstrand doesn't surprise me, we all knew it was going to be bad which is why he is fighting it so much.

Her Danish or English trainer? TBH neither would surprise me.

It sounds like Operation X are a pretty experienced team, hopefully they'll prevent the injunction - it needs exposing though it won't do our social licence to operate any good.

j1ffy

Visit site
The English one....

There seems to be a strong correlation between desire to win and dodgy training techniques in all the Olympic disciplines sadly. Back to social licence again - unless things change it's a matter of time before equestrianism isn't at the Olympics and it's a slippery slope after that (though I think it will be a long time before it died entirely - e.g. UAE endurance horrors still go on but they continue openly, it's just not as well publicised outside the horse world).

millitiger

Visit site

Pretty horrific reading and sounds irrefutable.

I wonder at what point you forget that you started riding in the first place because you loved horses...