HHO's "Bear" project pony...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Do you think it is extra muscle though rather than he just has more weight on him than norm? I don’t feel like I’ve done enough targeted muscle building stuff in the school yet to have warranted any significant gain! But, there is no doubt he has in the last few weeks in particular started using himself and moving better. So many really all that was ever needed was some regular schooling ?‍♀️

I am completely useless at looking at a horse and knowing if I’m looking at a nicely muscled horse or if the horse just has good coverage but is actually weak still.

I'd need hands on to know if he was fat. He doesn't look fat, it's only the comparison with his previous herring gut look that would make anyone think he was.

My mare has done less work than ever, but has more back muscle. When her feet were sore because I'd let her get fat, she lost an alarming amount of muscle on her back and held herself very differently.

The latest picture just says everything is going well, to me.

Michen

Visit site
I think you are seeing a mixture of things - weight gain (I suspect there is some fat there ?), posture/stance change, more comfortable etc. He obviously hasn’t been buzzing around out hunting which whilst keeps them lean and fit doesn’t always lay muscle in the optimum places.

I think you have the basis of shape and condition to now fine tune and tighten up with more constructive work.

That makes sense. Thank you. I have been feeding him up, this was him 3rd Dec and I felt like he still had a long way to to get through winter and keep condition. Knowing how hard it is to get weight on him I doubled his equerry conditioning mash ?. I didn’t really expect it to actually add condition tbh!

5F6F7106-FF6C-493C-8422-CB9B61181F22.jpeg076178F2-4E5C-40CF-8B9F-058A3C85A1F5.jpeg

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Omg matching dun connies would be very dreamy. I’ll have to imagine it with my boring bays ?

Ps Sybil is very happy in her new home and she has even been spotted driving around the county over the last 6 months by various friends!

They are lovely, the one that's not Bogs blonde double is a more pony type who even when hunting fit has a little chubby belly ? Both are awesome

Ps I hope Sybils new owner is aware that she may one day be confronted by a small chubby blonde person randomly sobbing all over her bonnet. I feel much more affection to her now my beloved ginger pony is no long with us as it really was her lorry while with me :(

Michen

Visit site
Four years ago this day I picked up Boggle from the M4 Chievely services. And 1 year ago this day I picked up Bear from the M25 Chobham services!

I cant believe it was a year ago that there was a huge thread as you all helped me choose which Connemara pony to buy as a project stand in for Boggle. I think a few of you asked whether I’d really be able to sell him.. well the answer is a definite no ? We are just in the process of sorting some raised liver enzymes but, irrespective of that, he isn’t and can’t really be for sale because.. well... he’s pretty awesome and Bog loves him and blah blah blah...so now plans for him to go anywhere for now though my friend is going to part loan him from the yard.

So happy 4 year anniversary to Boggle, who I utterly adore beyond belief. It’s been a pretty up and down last year but he looks and feels better than ever.

And 1 year of Bear! The shaking, nervous wreck who could barely walk off the lorry when he was collected and spent several months in various states of emotional turmoil. He’s not “finished” by a long stretch in terms of schooling, jumping education etc but he is a reliable, sensible, cheeky and happy young chap who I think will be a pretty special all rounder a year from now. I have had loads of fun teaching him about hunting and taking him in various trips and holidays.

Here’s hoping for many more fun years with the two of them. Hopefully starting with 65cm pairs at munstead next month. What anyone with matching ponies dreams of ?

9E50E92A-1233-48AF-BBCB-E154BE33645A.jpegBCCB795D-1F13-4436-ADA2-AF8F1FC1DD41.jpeg261E5889-A901-4B32-8B89-8EAE07D8290B.jpegB054CF4E-233D-49CE-A654-0A0B55E2669B.jpegFABD011A-F9F2-4B36-8CD1-505EB6D40332.jpegF2C084B9-EE44-4C1F-B368-A03D50BA9283.jpeg6760D240-7324-439F-A301-EF38DA90E28B.jpeg61711D19-A0EB-4AC9-8569-EA0F81752088.jpegEFF53286-5F89-407D-B966-9B79483E9EE3.jpeg

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
You and one other person I know have a knack for finding the 0.1% of connies that are bay and it's really very annoying for us mere mortals that get stuck with the greys. Here's me trying to make my bog pony resemble a smart working hunter and not a poobald coloured whale.

Can't believe it has been a year! I loved following your thread when you were picking your next connie. Looking forward to following both of their progress for years to come.

Michen

Visit site
You and one other person I know have a knack for finding the 0.1% of connies that are bay and it's really very annoying for us mere mortals that get stuck with the greys. Here's me trying to make my bog pony resemble a smart working hunter and not a poobald coloured whale.

Can't believe it has been a year! I loved following your thread when you were picking your next connie. Looking forward to following both of their progress for years to come.

Hahaha! That wasn’t why I bought him though honest ?‍♀️ I knew the second I saw the videos what a cut above the other, very pony (quite rightly) type connies I had been seeing he was and remember being so desperate to post on the thread because I knew he was the one.

Bog gave me that feeling because of his sharp piercing snort and the intelligent way he eyed up the camera man ?

I would have a grey Connie but I am inherently late and disorganised I’d end up never being able to go hunting as I’d never have a reasonably clean one.

pixie27

Visit site
I've just read this start to finish (the perks of WFH haha) and oh boy, what a journey!! I remember reading your early posts with Boggle and it's hard to believe it's the same horse, looks-wise. Bear is a gorgeous character too. Like a few others have said, please can you pick my next horse when I start shopping haha.

Wish you all the best for this year and can't wait to follow your journey!

Michen

Visit site
Probably the last before and after worth doing with Bog as aged 9 I think he’s finally, finally finished growing and filling out. Looking the best he ever has with more to come muscle wise I think. And building up the jumping, no disuniting, which is such a good sign so far injury wise.

I think a 70cm ODE may be required in the near future..

B9C46193-0E8E-4A3B-A7A3-EBDE0917305E.jpeg90AF6879-FE81-42E3-8F8E-3D613E3A220A.jpeg