Horse acting different to when I viewed her...

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m a first time buyer, I’ve previously ridden for 12 years and also part loaned.

I purchased my now TB mare 6 years old the end of last month.
Needless to say, she is acting completely different in my care to how she was when I viewed her.
I saw her owner mount her and ride no issues. I mounted from the floor and rode with no issues. Would pick her feet up no problem to be picked out.

I have now ridden her twice, both times she has threw me off by no fault of my own. I mounted her, she bronked and I fell onto concrete taking all the pressure on my back. She kick out her back feet when trying to pick them out, she also bronks / rears when being lunged.

She also reversed and bucked and I ended up again falling on my back. I’ve changed her bit, checked her saddle no issues at all.

I’m in Absolute shock at how she is because she was not like this on the videos and when I went to view her.

I really do not know what to do, I’ve approached the seller about this and she’s said she’s never been unseated by her and no issues at all. ( I find it hard to believe that she’s all of a sudden acting like this)

does anyone have any advice on what I can do???

IrishMilo

Visit site
If you bought from a dealer you have 30 days to return her and get a full refund - usually easier said than done.

Second option - sell her.

Third option - get a pro to ride her for you to see what happens with consistent schooling and someone with a sticky bum.

Whatever you do, don't get back on her yourself again - it sounds like you're very close to seriously hurting yourself.

Is she an ex-racer? They are usually funny about getting on from the floor as they've only ever had someone chucked up.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Thanks so much!
And she didn’t make the times so she didn’t have a racing career.
I’m just completely baffled because I mounted her from the floor so did the seller with no issues at all. I’ve seen her on videos being jumped / hacked out and she isn’t bothered at all.
she constantly backs up now when being mounted, I can’t distract her with anything.
I’m trying to get a physio therapist to come and check her over, because I can’t understand why she’s doing it.
It’s becoming so dangerous the way she’s being, it’s knocked my confidence so much.
I’m so stuck on what to do, I won’t get back on her until she’s been checked but the seller was private and she won’t accept her back.
Like I said I don’t get how she’s gone From a chilled, happy TB to now being so dangerous when being lunged and ridden

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Did you have her vetted and did you have bloods taken? If so have the bloods run ASAP.
Hi,
No I didn’t get her vetted as the seller provided me with all her vet records and I was so happy with the way she was on the ground, stable manners and being ridden. There’s just been a huge change in her but everything’s been kept the same, her feed and turnout.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
As I said above, you need to get someone to help you, whether that's a professional horse trainer or a riding instructor, they will be able to asses what the problem is before you go down the route of expensive medical investigations / tack refits, etc. It rather sounds to me that she is getting too much feed & not enough exercise, and possibly unclear boundaries. You do sound rather inexperienced, please get some help before you get seriously hurt.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
You need to talk to someone who can asses what is going on. It is not at all unusual for horses to act differently when they move to a new home and different management, everything has changed, from feed to exercise level to riding style.
Thank you, I’ve contacted a physiotherapist to come and have a look at her. I’ve kept her feed / exercise / turnout the same for her, she’s lovely in her stable but as soon as I try to ride or mount she’s really dangerous nothing at all like she was before I bought her :(

PSD

Visit site
Might be worth having her checked for ulcers especially if she’s from a racing background. The stress of moving/selling new environment etc could have given her a flare up. They act bizarrely when they have ulcers

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with all the above but are your sure the saddle is ok? Has her routine changed much compared to her previous owner? Things like feed and turnout can have a massive impact as can the disruption of a new home.

I do find it a bit odd that the seller has not even offered to help, if it were me I would have wanted to see what the horse was doing unless of course they are trying to hide something.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Agree with all the above but are your sure the saddle is ok? Has her routine changed much compared to her previous owner? Things like feed and turnout can have a massive impact as can the disruption of a new home.

I do find it a bit odd that the seller has not even offered to help, if it were me I would have wanted to see what the horse was doing unless of course they are trying to hide something.

hi,

yeah her saddle is absolutely fine and was fitted to her, I’ve also seen the Videos of her being ridden in this saddle, jumped and backed out and she was fine.

Im shocked at how the sellers being with me, she’s not asked to come and look / help she’s being very defensive and not interested. She also keeps mentioning the contract I signed when I bought her, saying I bought her ‘as is’ which I did, but she is not behaving the same as she did when viewed and on the videos. I’ve had witnesses each time I’ve fallen and I’m not doing anything to provoke the behaviour. I’m just shocked!

TheMule

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m a first time buyer, I’ve previously ridden for 12 years and also part loaned.

I purchased my now TB mare 6 years old the end of last month.
Needless to say, she is acting completely different in my care to how she was when I viewed her.
I saw her owner mount her and ride no issues. I mounted from the floor and rode with no issues. Would pick her feet up no problem to be picked out.

I have now ridden her twice, both times she has threw me off by no fault of my own. I mounted her, she bronked and I fell onto concrete taking all the pressure on my back. She kick out her back feet when trying to pick them out, she also bronks / rears when being lunged.

She also reversed and bucked and I ended up again falling on my back. I’ve changed her bit, checked her saddle no issues at all.

I’m in Absolute shock at how she is because she was not like this on the videos and when I went to view her.

I really do not know what to do, I’ve approached the seller about this and she’s said she’s never been unseated by her and no issues at all. ( I find it hard to believe that she’s all of a sudden acting like this)

does anyone have any advice on what I can do???

You say her exercise hasn't changed but you've only ridden her twice and both times you fell off?
She needs a vet, not a physiotherapist (who shouldn’t treat her without vet permission anyway)
Did you buy the saddle with her?

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
You say her exercise hasn't changed but you've only ridden her twice and both times you fell off?
She needs a vet, not a physiotherapist (who shouldn’t treat her without vet treatment anyway)
Did you buy the saddle with her?
Hi, she was only taken on a hack and lunged, that’s all I’ve tried to do with her and it’s just completely back fired. Yes the saddle came with her which was fitted to her

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Did the saddle come with the horse? Even taking in to account moving to a new home and change in routine that's a very dramatic change to me. Now coupled with the info of no vetting, owner unwilling to help and a contract saying sold as seen I'm wondering if there is more going on here.

Visit site
It is not a long time for a new horse to settle, she could be very sensitive and dont forget that a change of home is very unsettling. All of a sudden the horse has lost everything that is familiar to them.

Get the saddle checked by a professional asap, dont just rely on the fact that it came with her and youve seen her ridden in with no issues.

You sound inexperienced and you need help asap. Don't ride until the saddle is checked and I would also get the vet out to give the horse a full workover, to see if they can find anything.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Did the saddle come with the horse? Even taking in to account moving to a new home and change in routine that's a very dramatic change to me. Now coupled with the info of no vetting, owner unwilling to help and a contract saying sold as seen I'm wondering if there is more going on here.

Hi, she has moved to a new stable however she is settled as she’s calm in her stable and when being turned out. It’s when trying to mount and ride her behaviour is completely different to when I viewed and rode her. She was perfectly capable of being ridden and mounted. I’m petrified of trying to ride her again in case I’m seriously hurt. I’ve booked a physio appointment to see whether there’s any indication of pain to her spine / hocks. I’m just really concerned that there is a Medical Issue underlying with her as I can’t pin point anything else that would provoke her to act the way she is x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So if her behaviour has changed since you rode her in her previous home, what else has changed? Have you bought a new saddle? If so get a different saddle fitter to check it. There are all sorts of things that could be causing the problem but saddle fit is the first thing I would check.

If you bought her tack with her, are you certain that you have the saddle you rode her in at the viewing? This wouldn't be the first time a swap had been done. If you are sure that it is the same saddle please get a vet to check her, no point messing about with a physio who should need a vet referral anyway.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
She won’t allow me to pick out her hind feet, she kicks out. I put this down to me being new to her and her trying it on but I honestly cannot pick out her back feet. I’ve not purchased a new saddle as the one she came with was fitted to her. I’ll definitely get the saddle checked. I was sent videos 2 weeks prior to picking her up being hacked out in the same saddle and she was calm and rode nicely. This is why I’m so confused as to what’s going on

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
She won’t allow me to pick out her hind feet, she kicks out. I put this down to me being new to her and her trying it on but I honestly cannot pick out her back feet. I’ve not purchased a new saddle as the one she came with was fitted to her. I’ll definitely get the saddle checked. I was sent videos 2 weeks prior to picking her up being hacked out in the same saddle and she was calm and rode nicely. This is why I’m so confused as to what’s going on

her feed has stayed the same, same brand etc. Same amount each day as the previous owner gave her. Her temperament is completely different but in the stable / when being turned out she is lovely!

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Yes I wonder to whether the previous owner has had problems, the referring to the sold as seen contract you've signed and not offering to help does suggest that.
Please, please for your own safety get the vet out and the saddle checked ASAP.

Thank you very much, I’m going to get everything checked before I try again. I do appreciate your help

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
So if her behaviour has changed since you rode her in her previous home, what else has changed? Have you bought a new saddle? If so get a different saddle fitter to check it. There are all sorts of things that could be causing the problem but saddle fit is the first thing I would check.

If you bought her tack with her, are you certain that you have the saddle you rode her in at the viewing? This wouldn't be the first time a swap had been done. If you are sure that it is the same saddle please get a vet to check her, no point messing about with a physio who should need a vet referral anyway.

Hi yes the saddle is 110% the same on as I rode her in and in all the videos x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
her feed has stayed the same, same brand etc. Same amount each day as the previous owner gave her. Her temperament is completely different but in the stable / when being turned out she is lovely!

Is she getting the same amount of feed? If so, cut it right back as she isn't being worked much now. What feed is she having?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Being "calm" in the stable / field isn't the same as being "settled" - often the contrary can be true, to an extent.

The feed being the same is irrelevant if the horse gets less work. The saddle being the same is irrelevant if you've changed other aspects of her tack - thicker saddle pad - or if it's never really fitted her in the first place.

The poor animal may be buggered, but for that you'll need a vet. It would have been cheaper and safer to have her vetted before purchase, but it's a bit late for that. The physio shouldn't treat her without the OK from the vet - if they don't ask for that, I'd be suspicious of their credentials.