Horse acting different to when I viewed her...

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
If it was new and uncharacteristic behaviour surely the old owner would be concerned and try to help even if they did not want her back. Owners attitude is highly suspect and screams 'not my problem anymore'.

Can you do a social media search and try and find more out about the horse. There is often a surprising amount out there if you look hard enough.
I’ll have a look but she isn’t bothered about helping me or giving any advice all I have had is
‘You bought her as is’
‘Never unseated me’
‘Sorry she doesn’t behave as well for you as she did for me’

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Hi,

I understand what you’re saying, however she was having minimal schooling before she came to me and minimal hacking. But I’ll cut the feed back and see if there’s a difference and see what the vets say

Upthecreek

Visit site
PLUS seller keeps saying sold as seen go away blah blah. If this horse was behaving out of character the seller would probably try to help!

Totally agree. A genuine seller who cared for the horse would be more helpful. She owned the horse for two years, not two months, so you would reasonably expect her to be concerned about the sudden change in behaviour you have described. Instead she is acting as though she is happy to have got rid of a problem and wants nothing more to do with it. Also, I don’t mean to be patronising at all, but I would not sell a 6 year old TB to a first time owner. If I was you I would be going down the mid-sold route because you could spend an awful lot of time and money getting to the bottom of the problem and even then, it is unlikely you will feel confident with the horse after what has happened.

Orangehorse

Visit site
When people are selling a horse they do lots to make it sellable, very often by a lot of hard work and very little feed, so it is quiet and well behaved. There are also short acting drugs that can make a horse quiet, which is what you saw in the video and what you experienced when you tried the horse.

The way the contract "sold as is" makes me thing she is a small time dealer. Is this in the UK? You can ring up the BHS helpline for legal advice.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Totally agree. A genuine seller who cared for the horse would be more helpful. She owned the horse for two years, not two months, so you would reasonably expect her to be concerned about the sudden change in behaviour you have described. Instead she is acting as though she is happy to have got rid of a problem and wants nothing more to do with it. Also, I don’t mean to be patronising at all, but I would not sell a 6 year old TB to a first time owner. If I was you I would be going down the mid-sold route because you could spend an awful lot of time and money getting to the bottom of the problem and even then, it is unlikely you will feel confident with the horse after what has happened.

thank you so much. Honestly your help means the world. The seller just does not seem interested at all, it’s quite hurtful to be honest as she knows my horse more than me. She’s sort of disregarding all of the issues I’m raising, ‘She wasn’t like that with me sorry she isn’t behaving the same for you’ ‘you bought her as is and I’m not liable for anything after the purchase date’ honestly I’m mind blown!

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
When people are selling a horse they do lots to make it sellable, very often by a lot of hard work and very little feed, so it is quiet and well behaved. There are also short acting drugs that can make a horse quiet, which is what you saw in the video and what you experienced when you tried the horse.

The way the contract "sold as is" makes me thing she is a small time dealer. Is this in the UK? You can ring up the BHS helpline for legal advice.

hi yes she is a small private seller in the Uk, I’ve obviously been very stupid and gullible and I honestly feel like kicking myself! I’ve just purchased my gold membership with the BHS so I’m going to give them a ring x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
thank you so much. Honestly your help means the world. The seller just does not seem interested at all, it’s quite hurtful to be honest as she knows my horse more than me. She’s sort of disregarding all of the issues I’m raising, ‘She wasn’t like that with me sorry she isn’t behaving the same for you’ ‘you bought her as is and I’m not liable for anything after the purchase date’ honestly I’m mind blown!

I think there may be more than a little perception twist in this - the "it was all right when it left here" response is nothing if not blunt, but can also be 100% truthful, so there is no need for your mind to be blown. A six year old, off the track TB would not ever be my recommendation for a first time horse owner, if you have over-horsed yourself the first place to go is to a really experienced instructor (not just someone on your yard who you think knows more than you do), this could save you a lot of expense, time and needless vet "explorations".

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Hi,

I do have an experienced instructor on the yard, and he has also expressed that her behaviour isn’t the same as the videos etc and that there is either a medical problem and if that is ruled out it’s behavioural. I am blown away by how the seller was lovely to begin with but now I have her she doesn’t seem to be bothered about the way she is behaving when being ridden. As for off the track, this was never relayed to me by the seller and she said ‘she didn’t make the times as she was too laid back’ the ad never stated she was OTT.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I really, really feel for you and I hope you can get something sorted out for you (and the horse, who I also feel sorry for), but I think you should be prepared to put your hands up and consider selling the horse on to a more suitable home if you cannot find a solution. Whatever the reason for the horse's behavior, it doesn't sound like the kind of horse a novice should have.

PurBee

Visit site
i wonder if she was sedated/pain injections for the videos and buyer inspections? Would explain why seller isnt interested (i sure as hell would be if my horse turned satanic in a new home)...and certainly explains why she had you sign a contract ‘sold as is’....who does that? A receipt sure...but a contract For a private sale? Dealer maybe a contract but private sale?

ive learnt anyone who actually specifies ‘sold as seen’ on an advert or receipt, knows there’s something wrong with the ‘goods’ that theyre not alerting the buyer to. It gives them legal protection.

Could also be a dealer masquerading as a private seller? Have you dug into seller history?

Other thing highly likely, if horse was at previous home for many years, not moved about much, then suddenly is rehomed, they take a good while to settle in to new homes and could explain the behaviour issues. Although her being sweet to you on the ground, but dangerous only when ridden negates this possibility.

so im more inclined to reason the seller masked a pain issue with drugs to sell the horse.
a considerate genuine horse owner would be interested in looking at this ‘golden horse turned demon’, out of curiosity if no help could be offered. Her cutting you off communication-wise is a red flag for me.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
I really, really feel for you and I hope you can get something sorted out for you (and the horse, who I also feel sorry for), but I think you should be prepared to put your hands up and consider selling the horse on to a more suitable home if you cannot find a solution. Whatever the reason for the horse's behavior, it doesn't sound like the kind of horse a novice should have.

Thanks so much, and yes of course I’m going to get her checked over and most likely back up for sale so I know for her and for me that if there are any issues they don’t go unnoticed again and can be resolved. I feel awful she is a lovely girl but she will be better off with someone who
i wonder if she was sedated/pain injections for the videos and buyer inspections? Would explain why seller isnt interested (i sure as hell would be if my horse turned satanic in a new home)...and certainly explains why she had you sign a contract ‘sold as is’....who does that? A receipt sure...but a contract For a private sale? Dealer maybe a contract but private sale?

ive learnt anyone who actually specifies ‘sold as seen’ on an advert or receipt, knows there’s something wrong with the ‘goods’ that theyre not alerting the buyer to. It gives them legal protection.

Could also be a dealer masquerading as a private seller? Have you dug into seller history?

Other thing highly likely, if horse was at previous home for many years, not moved about much, then suddenly is rehomed, they take a good while to settle in to new homes and could explain the behaviour issues. Although her being sweet to you on the ground, but dangerous only when ridden negates this possibility.

so im more inclined to reason the seller masked a pain issue with drugs to sell the horse.
a considerate genuine horse owner would be interested in looking at this ‘golden horse turned demon’, out of curiosity if no help could be offered. Her cutting you off communication-wise is a red flag for me.

Thanks so much for this. I feel so stupid now looking back. I was obviously too excited to get her. But she seemed absolutely amazing no issues at all! I honestly thought she was so chilled out great to ride and now it’s just consolatory different! A lady at the farm mentioned sedatives and my heart sank. It’s not the horses fault but I thought the previous owner would be more Invested into finding out what’s going on. Thanks again x

honetpot

Visit site
Hi,

I do have an experienced instructor on the yard, and he has also expressed that her behaviour isn’t the same as the videos etc and that there is either a medical problem and if that is ruled out it’s behavioural. I am blown away by how the seller was lovely to begin with but now I have her she doesn’t seem to be bothered about the way she is behaving when being ridden. As for off the track, this was never relayed to me by the seller and she said ‘she didn’t make the times as she was too laid back’ the ad never stated she was OTT.

Somewhere there is a thread om here titled something like nightmare buyer, have a look and see the other side.
You usually sell a horse for a reason , I have bought more than I have sold over the years, and as a buyer, apart from the the obvious have it vetted, try it out on the road, you have to work out why someone is selling. With children and ponies they have either got too big, or they want to go up a level, or its a little devil, with adults its a lot harder to find out the reason, and if they are an experienced rider of that horse they should know how to present at its best. Its a bit like buying a house and expecting the seller to show you all its bad bits, its what they do not say that is often is the most revealing.
The previous owner may have had no problems with their management, although it seems a lot of a mixture of food for something thats not in a lot of work. If you didn't have it vetted and blood taken there is no use thinking its been doped because you have no evidence and if someone even suggested that to me as a seller I would cut comunication because it spells trouble and I would rather have it sorted out in court, and its up to you to prove that she has misdiscribed it. You might just be really unlucky and moving yards has triggered hormonal problems, she is a young mare and it the breeding season, and some mare get really funny with their back end, and have pain in their loins. I like mares but they can be cows, and the sillyest of creatures, think Mean Girls, and if you want predictable a gelding is always a better bet.
If was mine I would turn it out and just bring it in to give it a token feed and brush until the vet has examined it. I would be watching how it behaves in the field, how much time it spends standing, how it interacts with its field mates.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Somewhere there is a thread om here titled something like nightmare buyer, have a look and see the other side.
You usually sell a horse for a reason , I have bought more than I have sold over the years, and as a buyer, apart from the the obvious have it vetted, try it out on the road, you have to work out why someone is selling. With children and ponies they have either got too big, or they want to go up a level, or its a little devil, with adults its a lot harder to find out the reason, and if they are an experienced rider of that horse they should know how to present at its best. Its a bit like buying a house and expecting the seller to show you all its bad bits, its what they do not say that is often is the most revealing.
The previous owner may have had no problems with their management, although it seems a lot of a mixture of food for something thats not in a lot of work. If you didn't have it vetted and blood taken there is no use thinking its been doped because you have no evidence and if someone even suggested that to me as a seller I would cut comunication because it spells trouble and I would rather have it sorted out in court, and its up to you to prove that she has misdiscribed it. You might just be really unlucky and moving yards has triggered hormonal problems, she is a young mare and it the breeding season, and some mare get really funny with their back end, and have pain in their loins. I like mares but they can be cows, and the sillyest of creatures, think Mean Girls, and if you want predictable a gelding is always a better bet.
If was mine I would turn it out and just bring it in to give it a token feed and brush until the vet has examined it. I would be watching how it behaves in the field, how much time it spends standing, how it interacts with its field mates.
Thanks so much

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I do feel for you and for the poor horse. But as for the seller marking the receipt 'sold as seen' why do people find that suspicious? I have done this in the past anytime someone has bought without a vetting. I have always let the buyers decide if they want to vet or not.

But if they don't vet then I jolly well want to cover myself if they come back in a month complaining it has x y and z wrong with it when you know damn well it was fine when it left you and the new owner has either broken it or cant ride it or is not keeping it in an appropriate way. The seller also has to protect themselves from disreputable buyers (they do exist not only dodgy bad sellers and dealers by a long chalk) and surely that is justified.

I am not saying for one moment you are one of those awkward buyers OP - I think you sound to me like you may have been very naive not to get a vetting but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have been duped in some way. A decent seller would want to help you if it was a genuine settling in case, I fear they know damn well it is more than that going on. :( .

Visit site
I' m going to go against the grain on this one and it isnt intended to be cruel or accusatory. However, we see it so often when someone that isnt experienced buys a horse that isnt suitable as a first horse, they don't own them for very long before issues start to arise and it immediately goes back to the seller lied/horse was drugged/etc etc.

It is very easy to lay blame at the sellers door when things arent working out. Horses are sentient beings, they're hugely affected by new home moves (or just yard moves), fitness changes, weight changes, changes in routine, changes in level of exercise, etc etc. Even the smallest change can affect a horse.

You've had the horse a very short time, hardly ridden it and you are now frightened of it (which i totally understand), yet the saddle hasnt been checked, theres been no vetting. From the seller's point of view you could be an absolute nightmare and she feels she is being accused of lying about the horse and a lot of people (especially with the current stress levels going on) could easily feel they can't cope trying to discuss anything with you anymore.

I have noticed that I think you've pretty much made your mind up that the seller is at fault, as you have pretty much only replied to posts that agree with you.

Please just stop for a minute and have a good think. There is nothing wrong with admitting you have made a huge mistake buying a horse that isnt suitable but it shouldnt automatically be the sellers fault (in some cases obviously it is). What you need to do is carry out all the checks and get professional help with the horse and give the horse time to settle with you. I really feel for you and for the horse by the way, I'm not saying this to sound cruel but the horse has had its world turned upside down and perhaps focus on what you can do to help make the horse feel more settled, you may well find out you have the horse you originally tried.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m a first time buyer, I’ve previously ridden for 12 years and also part loaned.

I purchased my now TB mare 6 years old the end of last month.
Needless to say, she is acting completely different in my care to how she was when I viewed her.
I saw her owner mount her and ride no issues. I mounted from the floor and rode with no issues. Would pick her feet up no problem to be picked out.

I have now ridden her twice, both times she has threw me off by no fault of my own. I mounted her, she bronked and I fell onto concrete taking all the pressure on my back. She kick out her back feet when trying to pick them out, she also bronks / rears when being lunged.

She also reversed and bucked and I ended up again falling on my back. I’ve changed her bit, checked her saddle no issues at all.

I’m in Absolute shock at how she is because she was not like this on the videos and when I went to view her.

I really do not know what to do, I’ve approached the seller about this and she’s said she’s never been unseated by her and no issues at
Backing up when mounted, and refusing to pick up her back feet are both red flags if you ask me. It could be back/SI/stifle/hock pain - I'd get a vet out asap for a lameness work-up.

I'd also call the BHS legal service (free if you are a gold member) and ask where you stand with getting a refund from the previous owners, as it sounds like she was sold with known problems. How long did they own her?

Good luck.

[QUOTE="Charlotteclarke,

AUB

Visit site
I think you’re wise to have a vet check your horse. Just to be on the safe side.

But as others have said, some horses just change behaviour when moving yards. I bought my mare from a friend who backed her and had her for 2 years. I rode her at my friends place for 2 months before moving her. So I knew the horse quite well. Never had seperation issues, I was almost always alone in the stable when grooming and saddling. I’m quite experienced and have owned horses for the last 25 years. But on the new yard my mare developed seperation anxiety very quickly and two years later is still not that happy about being alone in the stable.

Long stort short, it‘s not impossible that your horse just needs time to settle in. Some horses do.

neddy man

Visit site
#67 " she is a small private private seller" please explain what you mean by this, (sells a few but not a dealer ?) PERSONAL MESSAGE Amymay and Leo Walker all details of seller, name address f/bk page etc, copy of advert, they are on your side and very experienced to help you. Click their profile click start conversation, it's only between you and them, not visible to other readers.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
#67 " she is a small private private seller" please explain what you mean by this, (sells a few but not a dealer ?) PERSONAL MESSAGE Amymay and Leo Walker all details of seller, name address f/bk page etc, copy of advert, they are on your side and very experienced to help you. Click their profile click start conversation, it's only between you and them, not visible to other readers.
Hi this is the only horse I’m aware of that she’s ever sold and I will do thank you

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
I think you’re wise to have a vet check your horse. Just to be on the safe side.

But as others have said, some horses just change behaviour when moving yards. I bought my mare from a friend who backed her and had her for 2 years. I rode her at my friends place for 2 months before moving her. So I knew the horse quite well. Never had seperation issues, I was almost always alone in the stable when grooming and saddling. I’m quite experienced and have owned horses for the last 25 years. But on the new yard my mare developed seperation anxiety very quickly and two years later is still not that happy about being alone in the stable.

Long stort short, it‘s not impossible that your horse just needs time to settle in. Some horses do.
Thanks so much x

SBJT

Visit site
I’d get the vet out to check over for ulcers, back / joint / SI problem, and also teeth. I’d check when she last had her teeth done as this caught me off guard a few years ago with a horse that wouldn’t pick up back feet and was in pain being ridden. Also I have to agree with the others and a 6 yo TB isn’t a great first horse unless you’re really experienced. They’re sensitive at the best of times and a new owner, new yard and different hay or food wouldn’t help. The fact that the old owner doesn’t want to help makes me question if they had doped the horse before being ridden, however Ownedby4horses has a point and I see blame on both sides. Moving forward I’d start with the vet visit and see where you are with that.