Horse acting different to when I viewed her...

HeyMich

Visit site
Backing up when mounted, and refusing to pick up her back feet are both red flags if you ask me. It could be back/SI/stifle/hock pain - I'd get a vet out asap for a lameness work-up.

I'd also call the BHS legal service (free if you are a gold member) and ask where you stand with getting a refund from the previous owners, as it sounds like she was sold with known problems. How long did they own her?

Good luck.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Being "calm" in the stable / field isn't the same as being "settled" - often the contrary can be true, to an extent.

The feed being the same is irrelevant if the horse gets less work. The saddle being the same is irrelevant if you've changed other aspects of her tack - thicker saddle pad - or if it's never really fitted her in the first place.

The poor animal may be buggered, but for that you'll need a vet. It would have been cheaper and safer to have her vetted before purchase, but it's a bit late for that. The physio shouldn't treat her without the OK from the vet - if they don't ask for that, I'd be suspicious of their credentials.
thanks so much I appreciate your help. I’ll contact the vet today and arrange a visit

PSD

Visit site
Yeah I’d definitely mention scoping her to the vet. Previous owner could have been managing ulcers (if she had them) and not told so not to put you off buying and now obviously this will have changed with you...just screams ulcers to me sorry!

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Backing up when mounted, and refusing to pick up her back feet are both red flags if you ask me. It could be back/SI/stifle/hock pain - I'd get a vet out asap for a lameness work-up.

I'd also call the BHS legal service (free if you are a gold member) and ask where you stand with getting a refund from the previous owners, as it sounds like she was sold with known problems. How long did they own her?

Good luck.

Hello,

they had her for 2 years and stated she has never had any issues except mud rash due to bad turnout conditions. No issues with anything I’ve said I’ve had issues with. I’ll give them a ring but she’s refusing to acknowledge any issues I have and keeps mentioning ‘you signed for the horse as is’ I did and she was rideable etc and that’s not how she is now I can’t even mount her. Thank you

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Yeah I’d definitely mention scoping her to the vet. Previous owner could have been managing ulcers (if she had them) and not told so not to put you off buying and now obviously this will have changed with you...just screams ulcers to me sorry!
Thanks so much, don’t be sorry I appreciate your help x

Reactions: PSD

PSD

Visit site
Good luck, I hope it’s something you can fix and you can start enjoying your new mare.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine undergoes a personality change when moving yards, he goes from calm and sedate to everything being on high alert and everything at the most excited pace he can manage. Exactly as you describe, he wouldn't let me pick his feet up, he was strong to lead and when I'd go to mount he'd turn and face me.

The first time it happened I lost my confidence a bit and he was even worse with me. I got a trainer to work with me on groundwork, pony changed after 3 or 4 sessions, back to his normal self. The second time we moved it took just one training session but this time I booked it for soon after our move. This third move I was able to do it myself with what I'd learnt previously.

Don't underestimate the impact of moving yards on your horse.

As others have said, you need to get the saddle checked and get a vet check.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
So sorry you are going through this - echo everything previously said re vet saddle check etc.

I would def cut hard feed back asap and check what % protein the Pegasus nuts are also.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
hi, yes she’s on the exact same. She’s on baileys high fibre nuggets, Pegasus nuts, bro chop herbi mix and solution mash

And you have ridden her twice in the time you have had her? Take her off all that feed, give her a *tiny* amount of one of those, if you must and you will probably see a vast difference soon

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Mine undergoes a personality change when moving yards, he goes from calm and sedate to everything being on high alert and everything at the most excited pace he can manage. Exactly as you describe, he wouldn't let me pick his feet up, he was strong to lead and when I'd go to mount he'd turn and face me.

The first time it happened I lost my confidence a bit and he was even worse with me. I got a trainer to work with me on groundwork, pony changed after 3 or 4 sessions, back to his normal self. The second time we moved it took just one training session but this time I booked it for soon after our move. This third move I was able to do it myself with what I'd learnt previously.

Don't underestimate the impact of moving yards on your horse.

As others have said, you need to get the saddle checked and get a vet check.

hi, thanks so much for this. I’ve booked the vet to come and check her over for lameness etc. Hopefully I’ll get an answer soon. I’ll keep everyone updated x

Upthecreek

Visit site
Is she getting plenty of turnout with other horses? Have you tried mounting from a block? Is she in season? There could be many reasons for her change in behaviour. Some horses are extremely sensitive to change and it could be that she is overwhelmed, particularly if her new environment is very different to her previous home. The behaviour is obviously fairly extreme and has happened more than once so as others have said, getting the vet out would be the best place to start. I would also suggest ringing the BHS legal helpline sooner rather than later for advice on your rights as a buyer. It’s a shame you didn’t have her vetted and get bloods taken because if the vet finds an issue you will struggle to prove that the seller was aware.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
to Me it sounds like the previous owners new the horses had problems. I would get the vet to check her out there could be underlying health problem.
Hi,

thanks so much I’ve booked the vet to come out and assess her next week. I’ll keep everyone updated because I really do appreciate everyone helping x

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Is she getting plenty of turnout with other horses? Have you tried mounting from a block? Is she in season? There could be many reasons for her change in behaviour. Some horses are extremely sensitive to change and it could be that she is overwhelmed, particularly if her new environment is very different to her previous home. The behaviour is obviously fairly extreme and has happened more than once so as others have said, getting the vet out would be the best place to start. I would also suggest ringing the BHS legal helpline sooner rather than later for advice on your rights as a buyer. It’s a shame you didn’t have her vetted and get bloods taken because if the vet finds an issue you will struggle to prove that the seller was aware.
Hi yes I’ve booked the vet to come and assess her next week. I’ll give them a ring, I feel like kicking myself now about the PPE. I was really happy with her and her vet records but now I know I should have got it done. Thank you again

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
And you have ridden her twice in the time you have had her? Take her off all that feed, give her a *tiny* amount of those, if you must and you will probably see a vast difference soon

I’ll try this and keep you updated once again thanks so much for your help. Yes I’ve tried twice in 2/3 weeks as the first fall scared me I got back on for 5 mins and then took her back to the stable. Then 2 days ago she bronked as I mounted her and I fell onto the concrete on my back so I won’t be getting back on until the vet has checked her over x

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If you are within 30 days, send her back. She may or may not have been missold but she is unsuitable and you have a right to return her. You may only get a credit note from the dealer not a refund but surely that is better than immediately launching into a vet work up up, scopes and goodness knows what else.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
If you are within 30 days, send her back. She may or may not have been missold but she is unsuitable and you have a right to return her. You may only get a credit note from the dealer not a refund but surely that is better than immediately launching into a vet work up up, scopes and goodness knows what else.
Hi amber, she is a private seller am I still able to do that? X

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ah no you have fewer rights in that case. A dealer has to take back regardless. A private seller only has to take back if she was missold. However you may have a case if you can evidence that she was sold as a horse who was easy to deal with and dd not buck/bronc. I assume you have texts, the ad etc.

I personally would write to say she was not as described and you are sending her back as soon as possible as missold and you would rather avoid a court case. Then see what happens. If she refuses obviously then you have to do right by the horse but I don't think horses should do what this horse is doing regardless of saddle/change/etc. Most well mannered and genuine horses do not attempt to kick people who pick their feet out or bronc the second soneone's bum hits the saddle even if something is uncomfortable. They generally warn first and have a bit more tolerance. I would not want a horse like that and you did not think you were buying a horse like that.

Too many sellers just lie and people don't hold them accountable because they feel responsible for the horse and so it goes on.

I'm all for letting horses settle, giving them time etc but you have found yourself with a horse you can't ride and who needs a vet and a pro! That is not fair on you and I don't believe for a second that this horse has never been difficult before.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
I think vet is the way to go please let us know how you get on.

I would also get a good saddle fitter recommendation and get it checked again, I have seen new horses come with saddles that really don't fit, my own included was sold to me with a saddle that had a twisted tree.

I’ll definitely update everyone. Thank you all once again so much for your help x

IrishMilo

Visit site
It sounds like your horse has gone from someone quite experienced and capable, where it felt secure and in charge of, to a new, much more novice rider. I know LOTS of horses who would turn into a nightmare without really firm and confident handling/riding.

Get someone with more experience to come and see what's going on before you spend what is going to be a lot of money investigating everything and hoping something sticks.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
Ah no you have fewer rights in that case. A dealer has to take back regardless. A private seller only has to take back if she was missold. However you may have a case if you can evidence that she was sold as a horse who was easy to deal with and dd not buck/bronc. I assume you have texts, the ad etc.

I personally would write to say she was not as described and you are sending her back as soon as possible as missold and you would rather avoid a court case. Then see what happens. If she refuses obviously then you have to do right by the horse but I don't think horses should do what this horse is doing regardless of saddle/change/etc. Most well mannered and genuine horses do not attempt to kick people who pick their feet out or bronc the second soneone's bum hits the saddle even if something is uncomfortable. They generally warn first and have a bit more tolerance. I would not want a horse like that and you did not think you were buying a horse like that.

Too many sellers just lie and people don't hold them accountable because they feel responsible for the horse and so it goes on.

I'm all for letting horses settle, giving them time etc but you have found yourself with a horse you can't ride and who needs a vet and a pro! That is not fair on you and I don't believe for a second that this horse has never been difficult before.

Thank you so much for this.

i completely agree it’s such a hard one. The seller is not interested and keeps saying your bought as is and I cannot be held liable for anything after the sale’

honetpot

Visit site

I can not agree with all of this, I bought a pony from a friend and I have seen him in a variety of situations, uncluding travelling him to PC. Once I got him home I quickly realised he had some seperation anxiety issues and would sometimes mow you over in an effort not to be alone. When we moved yards two years later it he became upset about it all again, it took a month for me to get him in to a stable without wanting him to climb out. He had shown none of this behavoir with my friend. My other friend would not have anything to do with him, as he frightened her and he knew it, and would play up even more to get his own way.
My old pony that I bought back as learned to bully people over the last 17 years from when I sold him as a three year old, his last owner could not wait to see the back of him, but he is no trouble for me, but he will sometimes see if he can push his luck.
I am not saying that is not anything wrong with the horse, but unless you know the competance of the new owner its harsh critising the previous owners honesty, and why take back a problem not of your making if you do not have to? I have just sold a horse and the competance of the home to a degree was more importance than the price paid, and knowledgable homes with realistic expectations are becoming even harder to find.

Charlotteclarke

Visit site
It sounds like your horse has gone from someone quite experienced and capable, where it felt secure and in charge of, to a new, much more novice rider. I know LOTS of horses who would turn into a nightmare without really firm and confident handling/riding.

Get someone with more experience to come and see what's going on before you spend what is going to be a lot of money investigating everything and hoping something sticks.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I have had quite a few people on the yard with experience where she’s stabled to have a look at her and they’ve said I haven’t put a foot wrong with anything I’ve done or how I’ve rode her. I’ve rang BHS so hopefully get something sorted soon

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If it was new and uncharacteristic behaviour surely the old owner would be concerned and try to help even if they did not want her back. Owners attitude is highly suspect and screams 'not my problem anymore'.

Can you do a social media search and try and find more out about the horse. There is often a surprising amount out there if you look hard enough.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’ll try this and keep you updated once again thanks so much for your help. Yes I’ve tried twice in 2/3 weeks as the first fall scared me I got back on for 5 mins and then took her back to the stable. Then 2 days ago she bronked as I mounted her and I fell onto the concrete on my back so I won’t be getting back on until the vet has checked her over x

I wouldn't advise riding her until your vet has said there is nothing physically wrong but what I meant was that she is probably having far more feed than she needs, because her workload has been cut.