Horse being hit around the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What on earth did she expect to achieve? And if she was angry, she should have been angry with the girl who dropped the lead-rope, not the horse who politely allowed himself to be caught.
While it is hardly a case for RSPCA, she certainly didn't cover herself in glory, did she? If she is prepared to behave like that in public and on camera, you have to wonder how she carries on at home.

palo1

Visit site
I went to buy a horse a few years ago; a 3 year old that had seen a bit of the world out showing. It sounded and looked like a lovely youngster. When I got to the yard I was told not to go into the stables (any of them) on my own. I wouldn't have done that in any case on someone's yard but didn't think much of it till the owners/producers told me that all of their horses would kick or bite if approached in the stable. I was feeling very uncomfortable at that point and about to walk away when one of the owners went to a stable, whacked the horse in it with a plastic bucket (to move him away from the door apparantly - due to the 'biting problem'). At that point I did walk away.

Some people with horses/some people are just grim and should not be allowed anywhere near animals.

Chianti

Visit site
I would also want to know the source of the video, and the date an time an possibly context.
Hertfordshire Hunt Saboteurs posted it on Twitter. They say it was yesterday. It looks someone was trying to load the horse and it got away. Would any context make it acceptable behaviour? I can't think of any context in which kicking and hitting a horse about the head is seen as appropriate animal management.

Peglo

Visit site
Does anyone else think that the horses reaction seemed used to that behaviour?

if someone did that to mine they would not have taken it that well.
Poor horse. Hope it was just a one off but it’s worrying they would ever think that was ok, never mind in public.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Hertfordshire Hunt Saboteurs posted it on Twitter. They say it was yesterday. It looks someone was trying to load the horse and it got away. Would any context make it acceptable behaviour? I can't think of any context in which kicking and hitting a horse about the head is seen as appropriate animal management.
No I do not think her behaviour is acceptable, but I do find the posting of such things, with no attribution, highly suspect. It is impossible to tell if this was a genuine situation, or possibly one set up just for the camera

Parrotperson

Visit site
I would also want to know the source of the video, and the date an time an possibly context.

context?!!!!! What context !

move eotked with horses for 40 odd years in yards inc hunting. This is NEVER justified!!!
Disgusting. But there are people old hunting that follow the ‘beat ‘em’ bible even these days.

Chianti

Visit site
No I do not think her behaviour is acceptable, but I do find the posting of such things, with no attribution, highly suspect. It is impossible to tell if this was a genuine situation, or possibly one set up just for the camera

I'm sorry - are you suggesting that these are multiple hunt sabs who have got dressed up as hunters, got hold of lorries, horses, a quad bike and staged the incident? Really? If so then the woman doing the abuse deserves an Oscar because the expression on her face seems to indicate that she's rather enjoying what she's doing.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Set up for the camera??? Any suggestions how, and why? Was she forced to kick and strike the horse? Her expression shows pure fury.

It is posted by, and attributed to, a sab group. You may well not approve of sabs, but that doesn't necessarily that this footage is not just what it seems - a woman dressed in hunting attire losing her temper with a horse and abusing it.

Just when hunting is already at its lowest ebb...

palo1

Visit site
Set up for the camera??? Any suggestions how, and why? Was she forced to kick and strike the horse?

It is posted by, and attributed to, a sab group. You may well not approve of sabs, but that doesn't necessarily that this footage is not just what it seems - a woman losing her temper with a horse and abusing it.

Just when hunting is already at its lowest ebb...

Yes but it would be equally easy for anyone to find something similar on any livery yard, at any competition or any private yard - this is just the most basic form of anti-hunting propaganda. It's not, sadly, unusual to see horses being abused - there is no excuse for it but this behaviour is a very long way from being directly related to any hunting activity. CP comes across as being spiteful in this particular incident tbh. I know he hates hunting but this is a low, and not very effective blow.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Yes but it would be equally easy for anyone to find something similar on any livery yard, at any competition or any private yard - this is just the most basic form of anti-hunting propaganda. It's not, sadly, unusual to see horses being abused - there is no excuse for it but this behaviour is a very long way from being directly related to any hunting activity. CP comes across as being spiteful in this particular incident tbh. I know he hates hunting but this is a low, and not very effective blow.

That's not really the point though is it - these actions were caught on camera and shared with the public, and they were part of a hunt activity at the time so it is going to reflect badly on hunting.

Probably not one for the RSPCA but the hunt concerned seriously need to think about how this reflects on them and take action. I hope there are consequences for the individual involved (i.e. no more hunting for a start).

Perhaps there should be more filming at other events, I've seen some pretty shoddy behaviour at competitions myself and a friend reported someone for abusing a pony in a warm up ring (I'd argue a child protection issue as well given how they described what was going on but that's a separate issue) but nothing was done because the steward/no officials saw it.

Clodagh

Visit site
That's not really the point though is it - these actions were caught on camera and shared with the public, and they were part of a hunt activity at the time so it is going to reflect badly on hunting.

Probably not one for the RSPCA but the hunt concerned seriously need to think about how this reflects on them and take action. I hope there are consequences for the individual involved (i.e. no more hunting for a start).

Perhaps there should be more filming at other events, I've seen some pretty shoddy behaviour at competitions myself and a friend reported someone for abusing a pony in a warm up ring (I'd argue a child protection issue as well given how they described what was going on but that's a separate issue) but nothing was done because the steward/no officials saw it.
If they had then no doubt someone would have been related to someone who knew someone. Nothing ever seems to get done about public abuse.
Tbh the woman here is probably having enough punishment right now. May make her think in future.
Perhaps she shouldn’t have left an incompetent child to load the pony in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.