Horse being hit around the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
If we’re talking about the same person, I think just describing her views as feminist omits some fairly crucial details. I’m against people being hounded, but equally I don’t think that people necessarily deserve a platform, or to keep their jobs if a majority of students don’t think their values align with the university. There’s a difference between having views and disagreement, and actively campaigning for the removal/reduction of the rights of a group of people.

Maybe we’re talking about different people though.
Possibly, I'm not talking about Maya F. The university did support her and it was only a few students that campaigned but it was enough. Whether you agree with her views or not she wasn't breaking the law. Whether people agree with hunting in general they were also not breaking the law.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
Possibly, I'm not talking about Maya F. The university did support her and it was only a few students that campaigned but it was enough. Whether you agree with her views or not she wasn't breaking the law. Whether people agree with hunting in general they were also not breaking the law.

I was talking about Kathleen S, so maybe we aren’t. People are removed from their job every day for doing things which aren’t illegal - there is no obligation to continue someone’s employment. I think if you campaign for certain things, especially those which intend to take away people’s rights, you should be aware that it may not be favourable either to students or employers.

But I’m only discussing for interest, not really in relation to hunting. I think if trail hunting is legal, people should be allowed to trail hunt.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'm sorry, I can't agree with you there. She did not deserve what is happening to her now. What she did was a very minor piece of animal abuse, which was inexcusable, but if it had gone to the normal way of prosecutions it would probably not have been deemed worth of taking to court and the Police would simply have cautioned her.

Her life and that of her family are being ripped to shreds today. This is not right.

I absolutely agree. The majority of us if we are truthful have done things we’re not proud of at sometime during our lives. Fortunately no-one was recording it. I don’t mean necessarily animal abuse.

The humans baying for blood are IMO no better than the hunt or this woman. Action does need to be taken but not a witch hunt. I feel sick for her family. The outcry is disproportionate when you compare to the case of Kate Greenhalgh who deliberately starved a horse to death.

mustardsmum

Visit site
I absolutely agree. The majority of us if we are truthful have done things we’re not proud of at sometime during our lives. Fortunately no-one was recording it. I don’t mean necessarily animal abuse.

The humans baying for blood are IMO no better than the hunt or this woman. Action does need to be taken but not a witch hunt. I feel sick for her family. The outcry is disproportionate when you compare to the case of Kate Greenhalgh who deliberately starved a horse to death.

Personally I am not “baying for blood” but that’s an interesting term to use given the circumstances, but I digress…
I would not want a person who behaved like this teaching my children. I would not want my child at PC to witness this behaviour - it teaches them it is ok to loose your temper with your pony. I would not want some who cannot control their temper around my kids. If holding someone accountable for their behaviour looses them their job, because there is evidence they are unable to remain measured in stressful situations, so be it. I would be talking to the school - but having said that - only if my child was a pupil there. But I would feel totally within my rights to raise the issue to ensure the teachers of my children are trustworthy and my children would be safe with them. It is not a witch hunt - as I said in my post earlier, we all have choices in the way we behave.

stormox

Visit site
I was in agreement until you said snobbery. That just belittles everything else you've written.

The reason is she was filmed beating up a horse with no cause at all. The film was then shared. It has nothing to do with her presumed "class" and everything to do with her behaviour.

Heck even the tory loving DM readers have managed to tear her to shreds without mentioning social class at all. Where's their snobbery?

Sabs are often calling hunters 'toffs' 'snobs' 'upper class twits' etc..... that is surely snobbery - or maybe anti-snobbery. It was sabs posted the video.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It most certainly is a witch hunt! Started by packham, quite deliberately imo. This is a self styled expert, who has avoided censure by the BBC, by being "self employed", while using nepotism to push forward members of his household into lucrative broadcasting work. This mans morals are at best questionable imo

TPO

Visit site
I was talking about Kathleen S, so maybe we aren’t. People are removed from their job every day for doing things which aren’t illegal - there is no obligation to continue someone’s employment. I think if you campaign for certain things, especially those which intend to take away people’s rights, you should be aware that it may not be favourable either to students or employers.

But I’m only discussing for interest, not really in relation to hunting. I think if trail hunting is legal, people should be allowed to trail hunt.

I was thinking Kathleen S too. I agree with SS sentiments with KS in mind. The university supported KS too. How she has been treated and harassed by certain students and social media warriors is disgusting. These people didn't care about KS human rights, or womans rights, during their campaigns against her.

This is similar. This woman still has rights, as do her family, and whilst her actions against that horse were despicable I don't think it merits losing her job and ruining her life.

J.Tiernan

Visit site
This metro article does quite a good job of tying in the webinars with the pony punching, long quote from Hankinson at the end. He was also named at the time the webinars came out, lots of hunting people did comment saying what he'd said was "taken out of context" he event tried to blame sabs as his defence in court. Didn't work though..

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/09/foxh...ing-horse-is-primary-school-teacher-15567946/

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Personally I am not “baying for blood” but that’s an interesting term to use given the circumstances, but I digress…
I would not want a person who behaved like this teaching my children. I would not want my child at PC to witness this behaviour - it teaches them it is ok to loose your temper with your pony. I would not want some who cannot control their temper around my kids. If holding someone accountable for their behaviour looses them their job, because there is evidence they are unable to remain measured in stressful situations, so be it. I would be talking to the school - but having said that - only if my child was a pupil there. But I would feel totally within my rights to raise the issue to ensure the teachers of my children are trustworthy and my children would be safe with them. It is not a witch hunt - as I said in my post earlier, we all have choices in the way we behave.

“Baying for blood” was deliberately used because that’s how a lot of people are reacting to this. I’m not excusing her actions in any way in fact I’ve stood up to people like her in the moment. I’ve never hunted and certainly don’t condone animal abuse or any abuse for that matter.

smolmaus

Visit site
This is similar. This woman still has rights, as do her family, and whilst her actions against that horse were despicable I don't think it merits losing her job and ruining her life.
What is the solution though? It isn't like she didn't do what she did, people are judging her for her own actions and her employers and people who know her in real life are free to decide they don't want to be associated with her. Barring some absolute weirdos on SM who will spam hashtags with insults, the only "real" consequences she will face are from people she knows in real life.

Say there was no social media involvement at all. Someone else present could have caught this on video and shared it person by person locally. If it had been sent direct to the RSPCA, her employers and social circle she may still have lost friends and her job. The only consequence she perhaps doesn't "deserve" is being in the papers and they will lose interest by the end of the week.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I was thinking Kathleen S too. I agree with SS sentiments with KS in mind. The university supported KS too. How she has been treated and harassed by certain students and social media warriors is disgusting. These people didn't care about KS human rights, or womans rights, during their campaigns against her.

Well, yes, KS still has human rights. I don’t support anyone being sent horrid messages/verbally attacked etc. But retention of your job isn’t a human right, and is dependent on a number of factors, including, to a certain extent, your behaviour outside of your job. We may differ in where we’d draw the line as to what is and isn’t acceptable, but I’d be surprised if you didn’t draw a line at all.

I obviously disagree with social media lynch mobs in any context, but equally don’t think that you should keep your job just because what you have done is legal.

mustardsmum

Visit site
It most certainly is a witch hunt! Started by packham, quite deliberately imo. This is a self styled expert, who has avoided censure by the BBC, by being "self employed", while using nepotism to push forward members of his household into lucrative broadcasting work. This mans morals are at best questionable imo

Packham didn't start this, he merely retweeted a post. Its not about his morals. Your anger at Packham is misplaced- he wasn't even there. It wasn't Packham who hit the horse. It wasn't a sab. It isn't about hunting and the people who seem enraged about sabs and Packham are really missing point here. Forget Packham, forget the sab. What do you actually feel when you watch that video?

Landcruiser

Visit site
No I am not saying that it’s just that it’s just another social media witch hunt of course it’s bad behaviour .
Did the horse suffer long term harm no I would get more indignant about people work horses with shoes that have been on for eight weeks .

It's not a social media witch hunt, it's people genuinely appalled by such backwards thinking, aggressive, none sensical treatment of a horse that has done nothing wrong and everything right. And I would also dispute your statement about the horse suffering long-term. Not physically, no, but they don't forget being slapped around like that - that treatment can cause behaviours that take a long time, if ever, to overcome. That treatment just isn't FAIR, and is definitely abusive. And whatever have 8 week shoeing cycles got to do with the price of fish?

Sorry, I've come to this thread late and maybe all this has been addressed, but come on....!

TPO

Visit site
Well, yes, KS still has human rights. I don’t support anyone being sent horrid messages/verbally attacked etc. But retention of your job isn’t a human right, and is dependent on a number of factors, including, to a certain extent, your behaviour outside of your job. We may differ in where we’d draw the line as to what is and isn’t acceptable, but I’d be surprised if you didn’t draw a line at all.

I obviously disagree with social media lynch mobs in any context, but equally don’t think that you should keep your job just because what you have done is legal.

She, KS, did retain her job though because she didn't do anything wrong. She left because these people had destroyed a place that was a second home to her for the previous 18yrs. Fresh in my mind because she was on Lorraine yesterday morning.

It's a totally different subject. KS didn't attack anyone verbally or physically. She was trying to protect safe places for women. No comparison to physically attacking an animal.

If this woman is deemed to have done something illegal then it should be dealt with through the relevant processes be it RSPCA, police and/or her employers.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
She, KS, did retain her job though because she didn't do anything wrong. She left because these people had destroyed a place that was a second home to her for the previous 18yrs. Fresh in my mind because she was on Lorraine yesterday morning.

It's a totally different subject. KS didn't attack anyone verbally or physically. She was trying to protect safe places for women. No comparison to physically attacking an animal.

If this woman is deemed to have done something illegal then it should be dealt with through the relevant processes be it RSPCA, police and/or her employers.

I don’t want to derail the thread any more, but personally I do consider KS’ behaviour appalling. She was trying to remove people’s legal rights. Obviously we differ on our perspectives, which is fine, but just because you may consider her actions to be acceptable, doesn’t mean that view is correct/shared by a majority.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This metro article does quite a good job of tying in the webinars with the pony punching, long quote from Hankinson at the end. He was also named at the time the webinars came out, lots of hunting people did comment saying what he'd said was "taken out of context" he event tried to blame sabs as his defence in court. Didn't work though..

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/09/foxh...ing-horse-is-primary-school-teacher-15567946/
Do you believe that people should abide by court rulings, which enforce statute?

Status
Not open for further replies.