Horse collapsing under saddle - any experiences...?

samleigh

Visit site
My horse used to lose her back legs, she'd be in work for 20mins and depending which rein, the leg would just go..She was diagnosed with PSD, which in turn had cause SI issues.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I'm keeping everything crossed for you for a 'simple,' fix - whatever it may be. I really hope the vet pulls it out the bag for you.

FWIW my horse had wobblers, and he didn't present like this at all.

catembi

Visit site
Well, we are off to the vets for 9 tomorrow morning. I really hope we get some answers. Even if I have to retire him, or god forbid, PTS, I would rather know that I was doing it because of < whatever > rather than some vague 'not right'.

That's interesting re PSD. And re wobblers. I read thru the wobblers tests/symptoms & have observed him, & really can't see a correlation. My best guess atm is SI injury.

**sighs** I will report back.

timbobs

Visit site
Well, we are off to the vets for 9 tomorrow morning. I really hope we get some answers. Even if I have to retire him, or god forbid, PTS, I would rather know that I was doing it because of < whatever > rather than some vague 'not right'.

That's interesting re PSD. And re wobblers. I read thru the wobblers tests/symptoms & have observed him, & really can't see a correlation. My best guess atm is SI injury.

Fingers crossed you know more about what’s going on after your vet visit tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Ed used to lose his back legs, it was like they’d just disappear from under him and he had big issues with his hind suspensories. We never got round to checking his SI because of all the other problems, but I do think there were problems there too.

Mule

Visit site

I'll have fingers and toes crossed. I really hope everything works out x

catembi

Visit site
Abscess in foot! A ton of pus. Draining video very ???. This is why he collapsed. It isn’t why he has been jolly difficult for the last several months. I have had him on magnesium and he has been significantly less sharp, so we shall see where we are once the foot has cleared up.

V relieved as I really thought I would be coming home with an empty lorry.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Brilliant :D Hopefully when the weather improves and everything is less awful he will be easier to manage.

catembi

Visit site
Yeah, and I should have my arena within a month or two... We can start v regular and consistent work and see what happens.

Just sat here crying in the lorry (waiting for sedation to wear off a bit more before loading) as I really thought this would be a day of awful decisions.

Thank you everyone for your support! ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Well, that is better news although it doesn't fully explain everything. I know you say it's not like your previous experience of EPSM but I'd be inclined to bung him on a good dose of vitamin E and see if it makes any difference - there seem to be many different types with different symptoms and it's a relatively cheap thing to try.
It could possibly be that he's had a grumbling abcess for a while - my dental ones flared up and went for years before I plucked up courage to go to the dentist