Horse had rotational fall with daughter today, opinions please .

joycec

Visit site
She came to be as an abused 6 yr old who had 4 foals, was extremely underweight and been driven, yes she was worked incorrectly ... I fact she's 8... Uh oh .. You're hacking your 4 yr old ... Big strong slow growing breed.... Spines fuse last... Wait to your slaughter .. Poor lamb

So, she's eight, you've had her over two years, she still has a weak hind leg after two years and she is not fit to school or to jump and yet you hunt her and take her on three hour moorland hacks?

My constructive advice. Change your vet and your physio and stop putting your daughters life at risk until the horse is fixed.

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
It is a very ignorant person who thinks they can help someone by attacking them.

You should all use your knowledge to educate and encourage others. Not slate them.

You would gain so much more.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This is from your post just over a year ago:

:(. Foxy is very green, and doesn't always pick her feet up, I wally think I need to do some schooling with her, she trips. Good trip on most hacks on the way home, farrier has really helped with shoes, left the front clip off, but today She today she tripped, and face planted the Tarmac, I stayed on , but was close to coming off, poor love has a really sore nose.
Have asked saddle lady to come again just in case it's her saddle as she's gained condition, but suspect its a cob thing! she doesn't Amble along but guess I didn't have her up together enough!! does anyone have Any tips? I really don't want that to happen again!

_GG_

Visit site
It is a very ignorant person who thinks they can help someone by attacking them.

You should all use your knowledge to educate and encourage others. Not slate them.

You would gain so much more.

Sometimes things are not as they first appear. I do understand your point and agree with it to an extent, but as Amymay has just very clearly shown...sometimes people can see past the story given and realise there is more to it.

Further to that, everyone that is not understanding of the OP's decisions regarding this horse only has the horses welfare in mind...and that's never a bad thing.

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
Constructive as ever, yet only 30 posts. Are you a former member?

Anyway, that is beside the point. OP, I wouldn't work the horse until she has had a full work up. I don't agree with the way you have handled things and I have read all of your posts well. I still conclude that you had opportunities to recognise a problem before this fall happened. But, that's done now, so it's where you go from here and I would suggest speaking with your farrier as Amymay has suggested and with your vet and physio. For whatever reason, the horse has been struggling and kept in continued work...they can't keep it up forever and I'm only glad the fall wasn't worse, for the mare and your daughter.

I would also be very inclined to ask the vet about nerve damage as someone else has said. She's been an immature dam and the chances of damage are quite high from what you have said, so I would bear that in mind. It could be fixable, it could be permanent, but you'll only find out through thorough investigation.

Good luck and please...the comments you are making about other posters may make you feel better, but they are just as likely, if not more so, to make others steer clear of sharing their advice or wanting to join in a discussion. It's just not necessary when it is so much easier to ignore that which you don't like.

Should never assume....

You were very quick to jump on the bandwagon.

It's not my mare. I am just astonished at the reception of people when others post here asking for advice. It's utterly incredible.

Spilletta

Visit site
In that case may I suggest you write your posts with a little more clarity so people can get a true picture.

Agree with this.

I was confused by opening statement as it sounded like OP got a 6 year old mare in February (who has already had 4 foals by the age of 6), then had a season's hunting where she tripped all over the place.

Some things have since been clarified but it's still a bit hard to follow.

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
Sometimes things are not as they first appear. I do understand your point and agree with it to an extent, but as Amymay has just very clearly shown...sometimes people can see past the story given and realise there is more to it.

Further to that, everyone that is not understanding of the OP's decisions regarding this horse only has the horses welfare in mind...and that's never a bad thing.

I agree that there is always a 'bigger picture' which is hard for anyone to condense into a quickly typed post, looking eagerly for a helpful response. I also agree that the horses welfare is paramount and have no doubt that op has demonstrated that she has her mare under the care of numerous professionals. But, my point is, that to assist both owner find the right conclusion and horse the correct help required for issue, constructive advice would be far more effective than accusations and a witch hunt.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am just astonished at the reception of people when others post here asking for advice. It's utterly incredible.

It's a fair comment. But - these sorts of threads usually have the same pattern, unfortunately. Usually because responders are concerned, confused or just down right frustrated.

_GG_

Visit site
Should never assume....

You were very quick to jump on the bandwagon.

It's not my mare. I am just astonished at the reception of people when others post here asking for advice. It's utterly incredible.

Making a point. You accused someone as being "constructive as ever". That is quite an assumption in itself is it not? That's the point. Too much assumption and not enough actual thought going into it. My first post on this thread was aimed not at condemning the OP, but being honest and offering advice. If that's wrong, so be it, but people can't be blamed for getting emotionally charged when reading posts like the OP. It sets a tone.

_GG_

Visit site
I agree that there is always a 'bigger picture' which is hard for anyone to condense into a quickly typed post, looking eagerly for a helpful response. I also agree that the horses welfare is paramount and have no doubt that op has demonstrated that she has her mare under the care of numerous professionals. But, my point is, that to assist both owner find the right conclusion and horse the correct help required for issue, constructive advice would be far more effective than accusations and a witch hunt.

Absolutely....and an OP making assumptions, accusations and being rude in response is as much a hindrance to receiving good advice as the bluntness of other posters is. Shame....as others could learn lots from threads like these.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
But it shows knowledge of a history of tripping for this mare. I definitely wouldn't work her until after a full vet work up, diagnosis and completion of treatment.

Yes because she was green and on her he forehand that went with good shoeing and working correctly, I am having a full work up, and have no intention of riding her after today.... I came here not for advice on her trip today, bit to find out if anyone else has a horse with a rotational fall in canter and to find out what the medical outcome was , I am not interested in ppls opinions on my mares workload or how I work her,I pay people to help me with that.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
What I find incredible is how, when the welfare of a horse (and incidentaly a 14 year old child) appears to be being compramised, some posters STILL expect to be patted on the back and be told that everything they are doing is correct!
Would I take this mare on three hour fast rides? No, plenty of walk and trot transitions aand transitions within the paces, and try and build up the correct muscle tone. I would also have brought her back into work slowly.

Moomin1

Visit site
Yes because she was green and on her he forehand that went with good shoeing and working correctly, I am having a full work up, and have no intention of riding her after today.... I came here not for advice on her trip today, bit to find out if anyone else has a horse with a rotational fall in canter and to find out what the medical outcome was , I am not interested in ppls opinions on my mares workload or how I work her,I pay people to help me with that.

If you wanted a medical opinion on your horse after the rotational fall, you should have had a vet out straight away. How can anyone here remotely give you any opinion or advice on a 'medical' outcome of a rotational fall?

Moomin1

Visit site
What I find incredible is how, when the welfare of a horse (and incidentaly a 14 year old child) appears to be being compramised, some posters STILL expect to be patted on the back and be told that everything they are doing is correct!
Would I take this mare on three hour fast rides? No, plenty of walk and trot transitions aand transitions within the paces, and try and build up the correct muscle tone. I would also have brought her back into work slowly.

Quite.

_GG_

Visit site

Ok, then may I suggest an opening post that just says, "Horse had a rotational fall in canter on a hack...anyone else got experience of this, any medical outcomes?"

You didn't. You gave a lot of information in an unclear way and yes, you've had some blunt answers and people could have worded things better, but so could you and you have been far more rude than anyone else on the thread. I came on to post constructively, that was ignored and instead, you've been somewhat strange and argumentative. I just don't get it?

Leo Walker

Visit site
She came to be as an abused 6 yr old who had 4 foals, was extremely underweight and been driven, yes she was worked incorrectly ... I fact she's 8... Uh oh .. You're hacking your 4 yr old ... Big strong slow growing breed.... Spines fuse last... Wait to your slaughter .. Poor lamb

I'm hacking my 4 yr old for 40 mins at a time mainly in walk with a 7 stone rider. He weighs approx 500kgs so his rider is well within his capablilites. The reason I'm not riding him is because I'm a big fatty and far too heavy :( So other lighter riders get the benefit of him :) Hes been in "work" since June of this year. Slow steady work appropriate to his age and breed. He still lacks top line, mainly as hes not doing any school work. Hes worked into a loose contact out hacking and is muscling up and developing nicely. If 2 years down the line hes incorrectly developed, despite appropriate and correct work he would have already had a full lameness work up :)

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
Absolutely....and an OP making assumptions, accusations and being rude in response is as much a hindrance to receiving good advice as the bluntness of other posters is. Shame....as others could learn lots from threads like these.

Looking from OPs perspective from the onset attack seemed the best form of defence since she was rather set upon instantly when simply asking for help and advice.

Intimidation is a form of bullying and really very unlikely to be assistive.

I would hope people would learn from this how to treat others properly, with respect and compassion. Far too lacking in this world sadly.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I want to hear people experiences, I've contacted my professionals , it's not an emergency, they will come when they are ready, she's not in pain, she tripped over, seriously.... First time, I don't think it's right hence why I have asked for help from the professionals in her he mean time I was interested in stories and outcomes, shoot me!! Please

paddi22

Visit site
i would switch physio. I have never seen a physio sign off a horse as fine for work when it is obviously showing discomfort on the lunge. I like getting crocks of horses and fixing them up so have worked with physios on a couple of horses that had tripping issues. Recently had one horse showing discomfort turning left and physio advised to avoid riding and start doing bending and physio work from ground. Then increasing to inhand work and then lunging. All a gradual, slow process working and watching to see how horse reacts. I find it bizarre that a physio would advise you to keep working a horse and doing long hikes over difficult terrain when its obviously struggling on a leg. I would definitely change physio.

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
My god, I can't keep up, my remote internet is way too slow!

I hope you can all be nice to each other and helpful!

Or at least try... Arguing is so futile!

Goodnight...