horse just bolted 5 miles down the road

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Well done DA, at least you are prepared and can put things in place for both your safety, things will never be as bad as yesterday again. I would not be in too much of a hurry to turn him out, get him on your side a bit more. Lets face it you both had a trauma yesterday and you both need to get your levels of anxiety down. He is taking no harm at the moment, just take one step at a time. I am sure you are more than able to manage this horse and give him a chance, the achievement to get him to settle will be huge and this test for you will go even further to making you into an even better horsewoman. We learn nothing of much value from easy. Good luck.

These are wise words.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thanks for everyones replies. Have had a nice cup of tea with the neighbour and talked it over with her. Shes come to basically the same conclusion as me. Try my best to return as he can be worked on his issues in a place where he is safe and comfortable. Shes also going to pop around later and have a look at him with me and give me her opinion with him in the flesh.

its very easy to blame me for being overhorsed or naive or whatever, but not being in the situation i was in yesterday i dont think anyone can judge. But im not interested in a fight on an internet forum, i have bigger things to worry about right now. If some people want to have their opinion then theyre welcome to that, i dont mind. I am glad i have posted because i have recieved some very good advice and had some good ideas and perspectives about things i hadnt thought about, re bloods etc. So thank you to those who have been supportive and those that have made me consider other reasons for this behavior. Even those that think that its all my fault and things just went too fast for him. but hindsight is always 2020 and i had no idea he was going to react to that extreme. Im not interesting in aportioning blame just want to do the right thing by him. He is in one piece, i am in one piece, one way or another i must secure his future.

What a kind, sensible approach. Best of luck with him :).

P

yaffsimone1

Visit site
Well done DA, at least you are prepared and can put things in place for both your safety, things will never be as bad as yesterday again. I would not be in too much of a hurry to turn him out, get him on your side a bit more. Lets face it you both had a trauma yesterday and you both need to get your levels of anxiety down. He is taking no harm at the moment, just take one step at a time. I am sure you are more than able to manage this horse and give him a chance, the achievement to get him to settle will be huge and this test for you will go even further to making you into an even better horsewoman. We learn nothing of much value from easy. Good luck.
Ive only read some of the responses but I would agree with this. There is no rush, baby steps, if it means him being in his stable for a few days where he feels safe and comfortable then so be it. I wouldn't let too many people handle him at this stage either, you work on building the relationship. Lead him round the yard in hand, grooming, talking, just general TLC. I'm sure he will come round, it may just take time. Like Justabob says just getting him to settle will be a massive step forward. You know what to do, your just still shaken which I can understand. Good luck

doriangrey

Visit site

I agree with justabob. It would be an advantage if he starts regarding his stable as a place where he feels safe and relaxed. Of course if he goes stir crazy that's different! Good luck OP, sounds like you have a plan :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
My only thought with taking Blood would be that it wasn't done at the breeders yard before being taken away (I know he wasn't vetted) Yes, if anything has been administered then hopefully the results would show this but the breeder will argue to the hills and back that it was administered after the horse left his / her yard.

Hope it's a positive outcome all round - I mean the situation being resolved, not the blood tests !

digitalangel

Visit site
Thanks everyone. My neighbour came and walked him around thr school ( i am still limping quite badly so felt if was safer ) in a bridle. She had some very good advice also. Plan is tokeep him in thr stable for a couple of days as its obvious that is wherre he feels safest and walk him around the school so he can be used tobeing led and hes not stuck in the stable for so long. He may settle. I hope he does. I would still prefer he went back ( neighbour agrees ) but hes here now..

Spring Feather

Visit site
To be quite frank, you're young I suspect so will probably try to make the best of this situation. Are you going to be able to overcome your fear that this could happen again? Do you think you'll ever be able to put this episode out of your mind and move forward? Will what's happened taint how you bring this horse on? Do you think you'll feel comfortable riding out the horse? If these answers are yes then go with it and I hope the progress is steady. If not then you should seriously consider taking the horse back to the breeder.

For what it's worth, I've sold two horses, similar age to yours, bred or raised here for all of their lives, and there have been problems moving them to new premises. Both of these youngsters were bought and boarded at my farm for at least a year and the owners had no problems at all with them, but once they moved them to their own farms, trouble did brew. The horses were very unsettled and fence ran and had the fencing not been good enough then it's highly possible they would have been experiencing the same as you did yesterday. The way I remedied the problem for both horses was to go and ride these horses at their new homes for a month (2 or 3 times a week) so that they had their familiar handler/rider at the new place. This did work and both horses settled, however in the first week or so they were very upset with their owners and did exhibit real stress ie. biting and barging their owners. They didn't ever do this with me, more they wanted to kind of snuggle in to me. I don't know whether all useful communication is over between you and the breeder but maybe it's worth a shot asking them to come over and help this horse settle.

I wouldn't be considering PTS for a horse who is just seriously unsettled and well out of his comfort zone, however I would not blame you if you made the previous owner take him back. It can be very disconcerting for a new owner to experience what you've experienced.

Goldenstar

Visit site
That sounds more positive at least your in a place where you have a bit of breathing space so you can take advise re returning him.

Jenna1406

Visit site
Couldnt just read and run.

It must have been terrifying what happened yesterday for you and i am glad that no one came to any harm apart from your knee. In this situation, you have to do what is right for you.

It is great that you are taking baby steps with him and trying to make light of a bad situation, I take my hat off to you.

Hope he comes right for you and maybe he will turn into a cracker.

Keep us informed of his progress and you progress with the previous owners.

Good Luck and Stay Safe xx

zigzag

Visit site
Hope it all goes well with you, give him a few days to settle before trying him out again and I would sedate him as well on first turn out.

If it goes badly wrong again you could always send him to Beeston for Roofy to buy :p (p.s this is a joke!)

Also it doesn't mean a breeder is dishonest if a 7 year old hasn't done much, my old boss bred a few horses, things went wrong one year and nothing was done with them, following year she was in hospital for a few months, year after husband died, ended up with 4 6 year olds who had nothing done to them apart from basic handling

TrasaM

Visit site
You've had a terrible start to a new relationship. I'm sure that no one anticipates that something like this could happen. From the horses viewpoint he was in a strange place with strange people and all his normal points of reference and security had gone. Running away does not then seem so reckless when you consider all this. He was trying to find safety from all this strange new scariness. I does seem like you've made a brand new beginning today and so good that you hAve some support on hand to help you through this. Go slowly, keep safe and give him time to settle and trust you. Best wishes and stay positive.

Fellewell

Visit site
Glad to hear he's settled a bit. Was it the first time he'd been turned out with a rug on? He does seem to have been trying to escape something rather than looking for comfort (sorry if this has already been covered).
We've all bought 'fire-eating dragons' over the years and it's not unusual for dealers to off-load horses they consider not worth feeding for the winter.
Hope you can sort this out. All the best.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thank you, no, not particularly young.. old enough andugly enough to have a mortgage and a job and responsibilities ;)

Dont know who roofy is... im not very good with keeping up with the dramas on here ;)

cambrica

Visit site
So sorry to read about your experience yesterday... You must have been shook up to the core!
Sounds promising that you are prepared to give him another chance and that you have some hands on support. You never know but he may turn out to be that horse of a lifetime. If not at least you have tried.
My only experience of this type of situation is when I brought my Sec d back from Wales. He was 3 and had been born and raised on the stud. Following a five hour trip home he was scared and bewildered but stuck to me like glue. It was over the Xmas period so I was at the yard most of the time. I let him in a small paddock next to the yard and he just stood at the gate watching me and calling to me, then would venture a bit further, then come trotting back. I left him there for an hour or so, came back to find he had panicked and run straight through the post and rail fencing. He was in a state, bewildered and scared. The next few days he went out when I was there and stabled when I wasn't. It took time but he did settle in and was introduced to the other horses and I made sure I spent a great deal of time grooming and just being with him.
Looking back now it took several months to really feel that this was his home. The bond I have with him is like no other - my mum is always saying 'oh FGS that horse is like a love sick puppy!'
Good luck, I really hope it all goes well for you x

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm glad he is a bit more settled, and you are ok too.
I had a 7 year old who had stayed with his breeder all his life and I did not know just how stressed and miserable a horse could be, before we had him. Luckily we didn't have any added extra stresses in his first week, or I think he would have experienced the "tipping point" too. He took a year to feel at home, his behaviour was fine. but he wasn't happy, for a long time.
Roll on 10 years, my daughter had loads of fun with him,and he is still here.

I would avoid anything but routine and a buddy for yours, and let him settle in. No rugs!
I really hope it all works out for you - too early to jump to conclusions about him at the moment.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Op, sorry if this has been said elsewhere - but have you actually spoken to the breeder on the phone - or anyone who works for them??

digitalangel

Visit site
Amymay i was unable to due to broken phone. its now been fixed but ive lost the number. i spoke to one half of the operation via facebook and told them everything. I got a one line we reply ' we wont have him back '

Just wanted to update. hes calmer this evening. hes been groomed top to tail to get the mud off where he fell so i can see what kind of state he was in. He has a large haemotoma under his belly where i think he took the post out. his legs seem a touch puffy but he walked out sound which was surprising. no heat or signs of lammi. picked up all 4 feet OK. took it very slowly but able to touch him all over. Even managed to brush out his mane which had lots of knots in it and very long. he accepted belly and legs being touched and didnt turn his bottom. I think he feels safe in his stable so will work with him there for the time being. He also the had beginnings of being tied up, but the rope was only put through the ring with a friend holding the other end. a positive evening.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
If I were OP I think I would be trying to find out where either Princ33sSp4rkle or Lizbet lived & working out how best to get the horse to them.

Absolutely, these are the guys who can make it all better for you and the horse, they obviously have horsey super powers!

Lambkins

Visit site
So sorry about all that has happened :/ sounds like a nightmare !!
I would call them .. Beg borrow or steal a phone .. Borrow ur friends .. Or turn up at the stud ( not with the horse ) and talk to them face to face ..and sort it adult to adult .. try and keep ur cool.. as nobody wants to deal with a screaming wild beast ( not saying u would scream and shout but its easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment ;) ) just be factual and to the point .. And try and call the ASAP don't let the grass grow :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
OP it sounds like he is settling down. If he was newly rugged I think you may be able to put it down to that as others have said. He's probably scared for his life and doesn't realise the drama he caused. I do wish you well and hope things progress positively.

Lots of sellers refuse horses back; I admit it is odd they are not engaging with you to help, but without a phone and via fb is also a bit weird and public for them too no doubt.

justabob

Visit site
What a difference a day makes, lets hope more steps will be taken tomorrow. Sleep easy tonight as he needs to do no more than to recover, and so do you.