Horses with "human" names

Spit That Out

Visit site
I've just seen this article on the BBC News website and it got me wondering, how many horses have "Human" names like Dave, Bob, Sue...although I have never heard a horse called Sue?!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-31446635

I know there is a big superstition thing about changing a horses name *rolls eyes* but have you ever changed your horses name because it didn't suit them?

Not because you didn't like their name but because their name wasn't right from them?

Who's bought a Daisy and is now called "Destroyer" or owned a Steve and is now "Thunder"

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with animals with human names but why (if you did choose) did you pick a traditionally "human" name for your horse and not Bracken?

I appreciate that these days humans have very non traditional names so naming your horse with a non traditional name is getting harder!

dollymix

Visit site
I've known a lot!

Josh
Harry
Walter
Edward
Benny
Trevor
Zara

The Walter above was a little fell yearling I took pity on at an auction. He turned into a grand lad though and was definitely a Walter! Name suited him down to the ground!

Grinchmass

Visit site
My girl has a human name, although one I've known of many horses also. I left her with her name, she was 10 when I bought her, knew her name so who am I to change it :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My mare is called Betty on her passport. She is not a Betty! She had already had her name changed to Daisy and I love that. I would always change a name I don't like. Done it many times with no problem.

starsky

Visit site
All 3 of mine have human names. I named one of them, the other two came with theirs. I wouldn't change them. I like it 😄

AandK

Visit site
One of my horses is called Andy, he came with that name and it rather suits him!
I have also known of horses called, Dave, Brian, Nana, Kevin, Ben, Sam, Katie, Bertie and Hannah.

Holly B

Visit site
I have a 'Lisa'! Nice name for a person, bizarre choice for a pony, but I kept the name. My first pony was Anna.

There's a Clint at the yard my sister's at which makes me laugh! I also know a horse called Garry, which also makes me smile.

Spit That Out

Visit site
Like I said, there is nothing wrong with horses with human names, I've owned several myself...I've even had a horse called Paul :)

It was just a pondering how or why people look at a horse and think..."he's a Steve" or "she looks like a Carol"

By the way, I think Brian is a great name and he should keep it!

wench

Visit site
I know and have ridden a horse called sue.

All of my horses have had human names, barring one. They have all come with human names, apart from one I named. They suited the name they came with so have left it with them!

flaxen

Visit site
My ponys stable name is monty. A friend has 2 called jack. At college we had:
Brian
Jim
Dora
Jessie
George 1
George 1
Sam
Fliss and im sure there were others I cant remember.

Greylegs

Visit site
Over the years I've know a Fred, Oliver, Harry, Bill, Jack, Dougal, Sammy, Edgar, Harvey ... why not choose a "human" name? Somehow, the horses sort of fit their names generally speaking .... Go Brian ...!!!

miss_c

Visit site
I knew a polo pony called Bob... you'd have all these ponies with lovely Spanish names, and then Bob... It didn't suit him at all!

I've also known some like Suzie and Stacey, then the more common Milly/Millie, Harry and Kelly (a gelding).

Mind you I can't talk, one of my dogs is called Bradley....

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Out of the 6 of our mares we own, 5 of them have human names: My pony's stable name is Sunny, and the others are called Hanna, Lilly, Maria, and Rowan (stable name).

Their names suits them all, so we've kept them.

Last edited:

lilacjackie

Visit site
Fifty years ago when I first started to learn to ride at the local riding school there was a Sue, Peter, Charlie, Crutch, Cob, Cheers and many others which I can't just recall so not a new thing. On my yard now there is a Shirley, 2 Jack's, Kizzy, Izzy, Libby, Lola, Byron, Cara so seems human names for horses have been around for many years.....mine are Secret & Rumour lol

nianya

Visit site
I bought a horse named "Ginger", which is also a human name. But it was such a terrible fit for her that I changed it. One of my mother's horses is "Sully" which I heard used in an old Western movie as a person's name once I think. I've known a few that had crazy long ridiculous registered names but their barn name was "Bob" or "Dave" or something similar.

Kadastorm

Visit site
On our yard we have
Ben
Millie
Molly
Ruby
Stanley
Finley
Luke
Jasmine

And we did have a Bob until a couple of weeks ago. They all suit their names. I had one that was called Kevin when he came. A big chestnut TB but then my stepdad is a tall red head also named Kevin so thought that was weird. so I shortened his reg name to Kaddy.

sychnant

Visit site
I have a Casper, a Rex and an Alice! None named by me, all came with those names. I also have an Eris who I named - I wouldn't choose a human name myself, but I don't bother to change them :)