Horses with "human" names

gingernut81

Visit site
I, too, have known lots: Polly, Charlie, Arthur, Craig, Jimmy, Caerad (?), Bronwyn, Elaine (my favourite lol!), Simon, Tom, John, Tammy, Lola, Pip, Ron, Flyn, Lulu, Pearl, Jack, Sydney, Basil, Bertie .... loads more too

Liz H

Visit site
I have an Arthur, April, Megan and Benson....Benson is the only one I named ( bit stuck, looking round for inspiration, cig packet.....) just to add I have a Molly, Millie and Denis dogs :)

Merlod

Visit site
I prefer human names for animals :) in fact one of the reasons we bought my sister's pony was because of his name - Greg!

littleshetland

Visit site
I had a lovely show jumping mare many years ago called 'Jane' I've had loads with human names - Percy and Ivor most recently........and now I also have Gregory the greyhound and Jeremy the Jack russel..

LittleGinger

Visit site
I used to know a lovely mare called Phoebe, and one called Lily. I think both were very sweet names for absolutely gorgeous horses. Also nearly bought a horse called Liz - I would have changed her name I'm afraid. She needed something more suitable for her flighty Arab nature!
Have known plenty of Henrys - probably 9 or 10 - and a William, a Toby, a Ben, several Archies... Nothing unusual that I can recall.

MargotC

Visit site
Both mine had human names. First one was registered as something else but went by his stable name and even though I usually called him 'Boy' as a shortened version of his registered name, anywhere we went people still called him by the other, human name. I thought that was kind of nice as he had obviously left an impression! I personally avoided his stable name as men in my immediate family shared it and I thought I had better avoid the confusion.

Second horse was registered with a female name, though one not much used in the last hundred years. A traditional Norwegian name for a traditional Norwegian breed. Have to admit I shortened it to the male version when chatting away to her as the other got a little bit longwinded to say. Though for onlookers it must have sounded a little weird... referring to a female horse with a male name. Oops.

windand rain

Visit site
I dont like human names for animals but my animals names are now human names Willow, Amber, Sunny, are all getting to be common girls names, Mine are name for trees Willow, Ash, Hazel, Oak. Puppies had the names of rivers Lossie, Spey, Dee, Don, Deveron, etc

mattydog

Visit site
I have had a Sophie. My 2nd horse was called George when I bought him. He was not a George so I changed his name to Hadleigh (popular drama series at the time) He was 4 when I bought him and lived til he was 31. So not an unlucky name change for him. I now have an Oliver and a William. If they are naughty, when they behave they are Olly and Will.

my bfg

Visit site
My girls original Belgium name was generally pronounced as a-meal, as she was once destined for the meat market this seemed a very cruel name! So I Englishified it to Emily.
Have also known a Jim, Brian, Kevin, Jessica, Prudence and Molly, all of which really did suit them! Still think Dave would be a great name tho x

Kikke

Visit site
One of ours is names Belle so I suppose that is a human name, but then the other two are muffin and turnip..... who is to say you can't name your son or daughter that :D

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I changed lotties name when I got her. She was fleur (but had only been for a month) but that's too close to my daughters name so I changed it.

Turns out my best friend, whose dsughter is due this week, had chosen Lottie as her new dsughters name, but obviously hadn't told anyone yet.

I felt guilty!!!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
i have changed all of my horses names! I didn't like any of their previous names. I like to call them human names as they seem like people to me, not sure if that makes sense. I don't mean they seem human at all, but it sort of adds to their personality (ok i'm not making sense but I know what i mean ! )

I have had..

Sinta, renamed Summer
Harvey renamed Finnegan (he is actually Seaview Finnigan on his passport. I already know two Harveys, so three was too much)
Frostie renamed Owen
Rocco renamed Ronan
Hippo renamed Bronte

they are all irish (apart from Summer) so tend to pick irish names :)
Frostie

ihatework

Visit site
I have had the following:
Zack, Arnie, Jack, Roddy, Alfie

Weirdly all geldings. None of my own mares have had human names although I did compete a Rosie for someone

I like human names for horses generally

JJS

Visit site
I had an Alice and loaned a Bess, and I've known lots of others too: Pippa, Ginny, Logan, Brigid, Norman, Barry, Sophia, Boris, Fred, Monty, Dante (a mare), Daisy, Mildred, Rory, Cher (a gelding), Crystal, Holly, Peggy, Belle, Arthur, Charlie, Oliver, Bonnie, Maddy, Joe, Heather, Quentin, Queenie, Ellie, Oscar, Megan, Lily, Thomas and Rosie.

muckypony

Visit site
I'm not adverse to human names, like Ben, Tom, Joey etc. But why oh why would someone call a horse Pete or Victor!??

Surely you dont see a foal and think 'oh how cute, let's call her Deirdre!'

Feival

Visit site
We have at ours, Winnie, Millie, Del, Leo, Kayleigh, George and JJ. We also have a 18.2hh Percheron called 'Bluebell'!!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I absolutely loathe human names for animals - I feel like its such a lack of imagination. Neither of my horses have human names though I know plenty of horses at my yard that do.