How did you find the most recent horse you bought? Word of mouth, online ad, etc?

How did you find the most recent horse you bought?

• Total voters

Sleipnir

Visit site
Wanted something very specific, and, to my luck, a colt that fit my every wish to a T, was born at a small stud farm owned by a close friend. I saw the announcement about the colt on the FB time line of the stud, followed his development closely for a few months, and then finally bought him when he was roughly a year old.

First horse - bought him from the RS I was attending for lessons back then. That turned out to be a vile place, so the purchase felt more like a rescue of sorts.

PSD

Visit site
Online advert however I knew of the breeder as I had shown interest in a foal shed previously bred but that sale fell through. I wasn’t even looking for another at the time but there was something about ebony’s advert that I couldn’t ignore

Steerpike

Visit site
On a friends FB page, he gets a few in from abroad now and again, wasn't actually an advert just saw the photo and thought wow, took a month or so to haggle the price and persuade hubby to stump up some of the money ?

Bambelina

Visit site
I wasn’t even really looking. I’d decided I wanted to buy again after spending a couple of years loaning, but hadn’t consciously started looking. A friend had seen my mare advertised, gone to visit, decided she would be perfect for me and dragged me there the next day. I didn’t see her ridden or try her etc. Just paid a low price for her which for some could be a huge error but I was willing to take a chance. We’ve had a couple of issues but we are getting there, and she is the best purchase I’ve ever made.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
B came via online ad from breeder directly. Never left her breeder, never seen a tree till she arrived with me aged 8. I didn't try her as over 12 hrs non stop drive away from me each way, just a wobbly video and some photos, but I knew the bloodlines very well and had handled her dam as a yearling at a show.

Little A Fuzzy also came mail order from her breeder, 2 photos, then a 10 hr drive on a Gillie bus to arrive down south. (Ok, not 10 hrs at once but over a weekend and rest stops, but her breeder is 10 hrs each way, if I'd driven direct)

little_critter

Visit site
Word of mouth. I’d found a horse that ticked all my boxes on paper. I didn’t love him but he was the sensible purchase. Luckily for me he badly failed the vet.
I posted about it on a forum, another member said she wasn’t far from me and her YO had just got a horse in to sell for a friend who might be what I’m looking for. I nearly didn’t view because he was a hand taller than I wanted but she persuaded me to try because he was a poppet.
I LOVED him (and still do). I feel so lucky to have been in the right place at the right time. And eternally grateful to the forum friend for putting us in touch.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Word of mouth:

My friend had backed a pony at her yard; it had been sent back to the owner to be ridden-on - and she had decided as she was overstocked, to sell it. Friend who had backed it suggested I take a look as she'd liked it during backing and thought I might be interested, and there was another horse for sale anyway if this one didn't suit.

I went along to view; and saw this little piebald pony in the field. It was everything but everything I'd said I didn't want: coloured, cob, mare, youngster, pony, hairy legs, lots of mane and tail, the lot!

So anyway I walked across the field where she was and this hairy little beastie looking at me under a mop of mane just came across to me, sniffed at me and blew down my neck; I somehow knew that I had been "chosen" - and knew I'd be taking her home......... which I did (profile pic).

Best thing I ever did. I gave peanuts for her - and she'd be worth seriously stoopid money now (if she were for sale, which she never will be).

texenstar

Visit site
1) Lusitano mare from Portugal - Word of mouth/through a friend
2) Failed 'Project' Pony - Already knew him as my friend owned him (failed project as I still have him after 5 years cause he is too awesome!)
3) Companion Pony - Word of mouth through a friend

So I have been pretty fortunate. I have only ever bought a horse through an ad once and it didn't work out :(

For one of my childhood ponies my grandma and I saw him at our local PC show (his rider looked like she had outgrown him) and we stalked the girl's mum around the show till it was mentioned to someone else that he was for sale and we pounced :eek:

Snowfilly

Visit site
Last one was an auction. Just wanted a cheap youngster that hadn’t been overproduced and grabbed the 3yr old gelding that went through early on because he had cracking action and was kind in the pen.

He’s done nothing but grow and eat this year, although he’s wearing all his tack and walking around now.

Mum brought a colt in utero at a county show one year, as she was admiring the mare who took the open class, got chatting with the handler and that was that. Put £20 shopping money down as a deposit. Got a phone call a few months later saying it was a colt!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I went to Ballinasloe Horse Fair just for a day out and there was a small chestnut colt foal and a larger iron grey colt foal that kept drawing my attention. The chestnut was extremely attractive and a bit full of himself and the grey was a bit workmanlike and very placid. Well, before I knew it I had done a deal on the pair. Came home and castigated myself for being such an impulsive fool - 61 years old - what am I going to do with two foals for pity’s sake? Adore them of course.?

buddylove

Visit site
Current herd:
1 - word of mouth
2 - wanted ad on PC FB page
3 - wanted something specific so got in touch with breeders until I found what I wanted.
I have also bought previously from online sites. I like to explore all options and see what comes up.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Word of mouth - I went to try a chaser from a local racing trainer, he was nice but not quite right for me (flexed a bit sore and was fairly high mileage, having one broken one I had to apologise and leave him).
Around a month later they phoned me to ask if I was still looking, as a hurdler they'd sold on ~6 months previously was back up for sale and they thought she'd be perfect for me, and wanted her to go to someone nice. Wouldn't have gone if it had been an advert alone - but I did and she is everything they said she would be!

Hexx

Visit site
First one was from an ad in Horse and Hound - one without a pic. He was a fabulous horse who is very sadly missed.

Second was from a dealer who took her in part exchange for a cob. She was a spottyxTB and bought as a project to sell on.

Next one from Reading Market - ex-police horse - to sell on.

Current one was a scrawny little yearling off preloved - now a strapping 4 year-old who has been backed this year and turning out to be a smashing young horse.

Spotherisk

Visit site
The two in my avatar... the one on the left was bought in 1997 from the local paper, I still have the clipping, there were no photos back then. The one on the right came from David Stephens in Cornwall, I’d seen in his website that he had youngsters for sale, we rocketed around Cornwall in his pick up looking at random fields and barns of youngsters.

millikins

Visit site
1) Last purchase was 2 Shetlands bought unseen from Dragon Driving, (from a breeder), delighted with them.
2) Word of mouth, wanted something specific, a Dales mare.
3) Pity buy, again from DD, he does little other than amuse me daily and he's grown into real eye candy. He's a useful companion because he gets on with anything.
4) On line, sadly she suffered a field injury and was PTS.
There are others but the ones from private sellers have been more problematic than the ones from dealers.