How else can I possibly spoil my horse??

Ellietotz

Visit site
All I want to do is buy things for him and spoil him with treats! I can't help it, I just love him to bits and want him to have everything! I just don't know what to get for him anymore! He has 3 matching sets, about 6 numnahs, his bridle is only about a year old and it's synthetic (excuse to get a leather one? Probably) just got him a leather saddle too and he has a new rug or two every year! I am out of ideas but I just want to spoil him. I've bought new brushes and things to try so I can pamper him. I like making him up a nice feed with veggies and garlic granules etc. What else can I treat him with? (He is laminitic so nothing that can kick this off) I'm all out of ideas!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think his ideas on what would be a treat may differ from yours, as in numerous saddle cloths etc.

Why not have a look at what clinics are available, such as straightness training, that would give you something fun to do together?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I think his ideas on what would be a treat may differ from yours, as in numerous saddle cloths etc.

Why not have a look at what clinics are available, such as straightness training, that would give you something fun to do together?

Yes, I didn't mean the numnahs etc would benefit him, just makes him look nice. Just wondered if there is anything I can get/give that will be nice for him.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com

This, 100%! Your horse won't care about fancy numnahs, he just cares that they fit and are clean. Same with rugs. I don't see the point in spending a fortune on fancy stuff (but if that's what people want to do, it's their money so up to them) but I do spend a lot on my training. Sorry to be a bit twee but I think correct, sympathetic training is the best gift you can give your horse!

Ellietotz

Visit site
This, 100%! Your horse won't care about fancy numnahs, he just cares that they fit and are clean. Same with rugs. I don't see the point in spending a fortune on fancy stuff (but if that's what people want to do, it's their money so up to them) but I do spend a lot on my training. Sorry to be a bit twee but I think correct, sympathetic training is the best gift you can give your horse!

I know he doesn't care what he wears, I just like making him look nice. This post was just to get ideas on what other people spoil their horses with.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I know he doesn't care what he wears, I just like making him look nice. This post was just to get ideas on what other people spoil their horses with.

Horses don't care what they look like, in fact judging by the amount of muck they like to plaster all over themselves "looking nice" would be the opposite of what they like. I spoil my horses by training and riding them as well as I possibly can and not letting them become unfit and overweight. Try that.

hannahlow

Visit site
I spoil my horse by having 2 lessons a week getting him to work properly and teaching him lots of things. He doesn't care what colour saddle cloth he has on only that it fits him and its comfortable

A treat in his eyes would be going XC!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Okay, I feel like most people have responded to this post quite negatively and just assuming that I don't ride him. I spend a lot of time having nice relaxing long hacks which he loves and schooling to make sure he is fit and healthy. Was actually just wanting responses of people that like to spoil their horses and what they do for them, not crit. If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't comment. This was just meant to be a fun post.

Mrs B

Visit site
I spoil my horse by recognising that he loathes being groomed for longer than about 5 mins ... so when the saddle and bridle areas are clean enough to tack up, we're off, even if we do look like we've been though a hedge backwards on occasion ...

On a serious note: he also is at his happiest and most confident in a routine. Not all horses are like this, but he certainly is. Therefore, even if I might like an extra half an hour in bed occasionally, I still get to the yard at the same time as normal i.e. 7am, 365 days a year.

Ellietotz

Visit site
This isn't what the post is about. Of course I ride him and keep him fit, I don't spend all my time and money on things that make him look pretty. I put a lot of effort and work into keeping him healthy. This was a fun post just for ideas of treats I could give him as I enjoy spoiling him.

Visit site
I don't know why people are against having lots of things for your horse, I spend all my money on my horses and if I had more money then I'd spend more on them :eek: I'd have matching sets and tonnes of rugs :eek:
I like to find things my horse likes so i'll pick fruits and berries and leaves and see which ones he likes best :) he likes ash leaves and marmalade sandwiches :D
You could tie up vegetables in the stable for him to eat like swede and parsnips or you could take him for little walks to eat from the hedgerows.
Trying new things like going cross country schooling or doing 'scary' things on hacks like looking at spooky things. Just spending quality time together :)

Mrs B

Visit site
This isn't what the post is about. Of course I ride him and keep him fit, I don't spend all my time and money on things that make him look pretty. I put a lot of effort and work into keeping him healthy. This was a fun post just for ideas of treats I could give him as I enjoy spoiling him.

If that was aimed at me, I don't see your point? I gave you an honest answer.

My 'treats' are understanding & working with his behavioural likes and dislikes, even if they're an inconvenience to me. I don't buy stuff to 'treat' him as you would a human, because horses simply don't work that way ...

Sorry if my response upset you: it wasn't intended that way in the slightest.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I don't know why people are against having lots of things for your horse, I spend all my money on my horses and if I had more money then I'd spend more on them :eek: I'd have matching sets and tonnes of rugs :eek:
I like to find things my horse likes so i'll pick fruits and berries and leaves and see which ones he likes best :) he likes ash leaves and marmalade sandwiches :D
You could tie up vegetables in the stable for him to eat like swede and parsnips or you could take him for little walks to eat from the hedgerows.
Trying new things like going cross country schooling or doing 'scary' things on hacks like looking at spooky things. Just spending quality time together :)

I love this!! I might take him for a wander, he loves fern plants. I always try and pick some for him when I go past them and I always save veggie cuttings and fruit!

Ellietotz

Visit site
defo a nice new leather bridle, to go with his posh new saddle and a nice sparkly brow band to go with it

Agree with a trip to the beach

I have my eye on one but just can't justify spending the money on it since his other one is fairly new! Unless it just happened to break... I make shamballa browbands so he has a lovely sparkly double row dark green and white one!

oldie48

Visit site
Both my horses really enjoy spending time out in the field without rugs so they can groom each other but they both react badly to flies so when I have time I turn them out without rugs, let them have a good scratch and roll then pop their fly rugs on. They also both like to be scratched in places they struggle to reach. Mr B had a massage/stretch session with Richard Maxwell last May and he clearly loved it and helped himn release tension so he's having another next month. He also came to me with rubbish shoeing, so I make sure I have a brilliant farrier and I don't scrimp on his shoeing. Both horses love plums/ apples/ blackberries so I give them stretches with those as they try extra hard to reach them. I do a bit of matchy matchy but that's for me, not the horse and I try to always have well fitting tack that is clean. I do understand that it's nice to buy things for our horses but in common with others on here, it's us that get the pleasure from seeing them look "nice". I also spend loads of money on training, for me it's one of the most important thing I can do for him.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I buy my horse lots of goodies, he also has a great life. He goes out in a nice field all day every day, has teeth checks, back checks, saddle checks etc. I make his work as much fun for him as possible. I put carrots and apples in his feed. I scratch his itchy bits to order etc. etc. etc. Buying loads of saddle cloths, nice bridles etc make me feel happy. Yes I know he couldn't care less of it's a nice Teal LM or a cheapo dull brown cotton thing from amazon but I care. I'm proud of my horse and I like him to look smart.

Just because people like to spend money on 'things' for' their horses doesn't mean they don't do all the other stuff to make their horse's life the best it can possibly be.

OP, I think some people haven't taken your opening post in the intended spirit :)

Bernster

Visit site
Honestly, I think it's just the people read the title and were expecting something a bit different, so you're getting some replies which perhaps weren't what you expected. I'd agree that those things aren't really what I'd call a treat for my horse, he'd much rather not be ridden, to stuff his face and spend his days in the field.

That said, I think it's fun to buy stuff that's a treat for us, and there are some other things you can buy to treat him too, some which cost, some which don't e.g. equine massage, physio session, a fun trip out, non-sugary treats as yours is lami prone, spending fun time together doing ground work or grooming if he likes that, giving him a selection of horse/lami friendly herbs and plants, even an aromatherapy session!

I'd def be looking for a nice leather bridle too. And some matchy never goes astray in my book.

Not all treats for him, but who cares, sometimes it's nice to treat ourselves !

pennyturner

Visit site
Our 'treat' is to allow the ponies to graze the area outside of their field (or on the lawn at home) for a while after a ride. There are conditions - any mis-behaviour, grumpies or attempt to leave will result in being tied up short to the rail whilst the others graze.

The result is ponies who look forward to being caught and ridden, associating it with a jolly followed by a bite of better grass. They have an expectation of good manners whilst at liberty (which, whilst a bonus for us too, actually reduces stress in the herd, as they don't like fights either!), and we have a virtual guarantee that should any pony come loose unintentionally, they'll stay put.

This has worked well for every pony we've ever had, including stallions and youngsters.

... oh, and we sometimes give them a couple of chips if they're tied up outside a pub. :D

Ellietotz

Visit site
If that was aimed at me, I don't see your point? I gave you an honest answer.

My 'treats' are understanding & working with his behavioural likes and dislikes, even if they're an inconvenience to me. I don't buy stuff to 'treat' him as you would a human, because horses simply don't work that way ...

Sorry if my response upset you: it wasn't intended that way in the slightest.

No, it wasn't to your post, yours wasn't a problem at all!

Ellietotz

Visit site
I buy my horse lots of goodies, he also has a great life. He goes out in a nice field all day every day, has teeth checks, back checks, saddle checks etc. I make his work as much fun for him as possible. I put carrots and apples in his feed. I scratch his itchy bits to order etc. etc. etc. Buying loads of saddle cloths, nice bridles etc make me feel happy. Yes I know he couldn't care less of it's a nice Teal LM or a cheapo dull brown cotton thing from amazon but I care. I'm proud of my horse and I like him to look smart.

Just because people like to spend money on 'things' for' their horses doesn't mean they don't do all the other stuff to make their horse's life the best it can possibly be.

OP, I think some people haven't taken your opening post in the intended spirit :)

Thank you! Yes, when someone said why don't I try riding him... gee, that didn't occur to me!
I am very proud of him, I like him to look good and I like giving him treats and scratches to show my appreciation! Haven't tried blackberries, he is very fussy though. Most of the time, he will refuse a fresh juicy apple. God knows why!