How else can I possibly spoil my horse??

Ellietotz

Visit site
Obviously horses don't care what colour they wear, but I too like my girl to look smart. I have an obsession with trying to find a turnout that really fits her as she is so narrow.

A leather bridle would be top of my list. This could also be considered a treat for him as a good quality leather bridle will be comfier. Also think about yourself. I have a lot of problems with back and joints and recently splashed out on some expensive stirrups. They have made such a difference and I think she notices too.

My last horse would have died for those gloves! If he likes a scratch then I would definitely get some.

I recently bought the 'magic brush' and he loves that for his scratchy spots, plus it was only £3! I do want to try those gloves though...

What stirrups did you get? I find my back is starting to hurt a little bit but mostly my knees! I don't really know how stirrups change this though, I haven't looked into it in all honesty!

Morgan123

Visit site
I love doing things like that but not sure where I would find them?

Have to say I agreed with Planete when I read your post - I volunteer at an independent sanctuary and it's kind of sad reading something about horses not having enough matchy sets when we've got them coming in skin and bone because their owners can't afford to feed them (or whatever). Obviously you could say that about any situation in the world because there's always someone less fortunate than you, but it does sound like you're struggling to spend your disposable income! Personally I'd put it in a pot and save for vets bills ;-). But it's nice that you love your horse so much, he's obviously very lucky.

If you're interested in seeing the sorts of things that go on and how small donations can help add Herbert Pirie on facebook (Horse Sense Wirral) or Putting In the Magic (Ireland). Or the Horse Trust have a very active facebook feed too with their rescues coming in. That's not a plug for you to spend your money, but it is interesting to see the other side of the coin.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It's interesting how many people seem to think Megmoo is being frivolous with her money and think she should spend it on good causes. There are plenty of people on here with umpteen horses, big houses with lots of land and buying brand new horse boxes worth tens of thousands of pounds. I don't see anyone telling them to not spend that money, not have a Horsebox or sell off some of their horses so they can give money to charity.

Apparently buying a couple of matching saddle pad sets means that you're loaded and therefore you're money could be better spent elsewhere! Mind boggling.

jokadoka

Visit site
It's interesting how many people seem to think Megmoo is being frivolous with her money and think she should spend it on good causes. There are plenty of people on here with umpteen horses, big houses with lots of land and buying brand new horse boxes worth tens of thousands of pounds. I don't see anyone telling them to not spend that money, not have a Horsebox or sell off some of their horses so they can give money to charity.

Apparently buying a couple of matching saddle pad sets means that you're loaded and therefore you're money could be better spent elsewhere! Mind boggling.

^^^ This absolutely!!!

SaddleUpSin

Visit site

Horses are a luxury, they are a hobby and an enjoyment. If someone said they were getting their hair done nicely and going out shopping because they like treating themselves, you wouldn't tell them not to go and instead donate their money to charity. Treating our horses to nice things is the equivalent of spoiling ourselves. Just because it's in their wardrobe not ours doesn't meant we should feel guilty for buying nice things instead of giving money away. Yes donate to charity, yes give your horse lots of top class care and attention and correct riding, but these things do not have to be INSTEAD of pretty matching sets and blingy browbands.

Morgan123

Visit site

Well I don't remember posts from other people asking how to spend their money ;-). Nobody's said she's loaded or is telling her what to do, she asked for people's opinions. Personally, I can't think of a bigger waste of money than numerous matchy sets, but that's my choice and she has hers.

She asked and people are giving their opinions, I think that's what this forum is for....

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
What stirrups did you get? I find my back is starting to hurt a little bit but mostly my knees! I don't really know how stirrups change this though, I haven't looked into it in all honesty!

I got MDC S classic stirrups
http://***********.com/s_classic.html postage is free to the UK
I have arthritis in the facet joints in my spine and problems with numbness in my left leg. I tried my friends Jins which have a wider tread and they helped, but I got these after extensive online research. They have the wide grippy tread and the way they hang is much easier for my numb leg.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Well I don't remember posts from other people asking how to spend their money ;-). Nobody's said she's loaded or is telling her what to do, she asked for people's opinions. Personally, I can't think of a bigger waste of money than numerous matchy sets, but that's my choice and she has hers.

She asked and people are giving their opinions, I think that's what this forum is for....

She asked how she could spoil her horse not how she should spend her money.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
megmoo it's your money you enjoy it how you feel fit you only live once, I like my horses to look nice but they always seem to look like rat bags they love being dirty, my treat to mine is a long groom massage with a rubber curry brush or rubber dog groomer they love it, one of mine lifts his back legs up so you can get to the inside of them and then he almost sits on the floor, mine also like the carrot stretches I know it's the carrot that's the appeal but at least they benefit from it too.

I just thought of something I can really recommend I had a photographer visit me in may I found her on here she wanted horse subjects to practice with, I took one of my horses in the woods and some are ridden some are on the ground and they are amazing, the photographer did put some of them on here a while back for everyone to see I will see if I can find them.

Last edited:

Ellietotz

Visit site
megmoo it's your money you enjoy it how you feel fit you only live once, I like my horses to look nice but they always seem to look like rat bags they love being dirty, my treat to mine is a long groom massage with a rubber curry brush or rubber dog groomer they love it, one of mine lifts his back legs up so you can get to the inside of them and then he almost sits on the floor, mine also like the carrot stretches I know it's the carrot that's the appeal but at least they benefit from it too.

I just thought of something I can really recommend I had a photographer visit me in may I found her on here she wanted horse subjects to practice with, I took one of my horses in the woods and some are ridden some are on the ground and they are amazing, the photographer did put some of them on here a while back for everyone to see I will see if I can find them.

A photoshoot sounds fun!
Mine does that same thing, he will lift up his back leg and put it down almost doing the splits so he can get a scratch on the crease! He looks so goofy but I love how much he enjoys it! I was watching youtube videos of different stretches, I might try those. He is 16 so I like him to feel well stretched and comfortable.

Ellietotz

Visit site

I agree with this. It has made me laugh a little bit though so it's been entertaining. I don't mind what my money goes on but like you said, it wasn't actually about spending money, it was about just spoiling my horse lol! Stretches, massages, field games, none of that has to cost if you didn't want it to. I should rewrite the post as 'I have loads of money, what can I spend it on?' ( I don't! ) Nothing wrong with giving money to charity, I would much rather actually physically help than just transfer money to places that I'll never see. I like to get hands on... like those gloves.... I need those gloves.

Ellietotz

Visit site

I do appreciate your idea, thank you. Although, I was more aiming towards things I can do for my horse that didn't necessarily have to cost anything! :) I like making him happy as he makes me happy!

Morgan123

Visit site
Fair enough, I think maybe the 'all I want is to buy things for him' in your first post and examples of all the things you've bought, and ideas for more, may have been where the money thing came into it :).

Anyway, nice that you care for your horse so much and it's been an interesting thread!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Fair enough, I think maybe the 'all I want is to buy things for him' in your first post and examples of all the things you've bought, and ideas for more, may have been where the money thing came into it :).

Anyway, nice that you care for your horse so much and it's been an interesting thread!

True... I forgot about that! Interesting it has been! Thanks

stormox

Visit site
All I want to do is buy things for him and spoil him with treats! I can't help it, I just love him to bits and want him to have everything! I just don't know what to get for him anymore! He has 3 matching sets, about 6 numnahs, his bridle is only about a year old and it's synthetic (excuse to get a leather one? Probably) just got him a leather saddle too and he has a new rug or two every year! I am out of ideas but I just want to spoil him. I've bought new brushes and things to try so I can pamper him. I like making him up a nice feed with veggies and garlic granules etc. What else can I treat him with? (He is laminitic so nothing that can kick this off) I'm all out of ideas!

The one thing a horse likes and needs is consistant fair handling, a sensitive and consistant rider, an owner who feeds sensibly and doesnt let him get too fat or too thin, regular exercise - mixing hacks with schoolwork, shelter from bad weather, a field with decent fencing......... he doesnt care about material things.

Ellietotz

Visit site
The one thing a horse likes and needs is consistant fair handling, a sensitive and consistant rider, an owner who feeds sensibly and doesnt let him get too fat or too thin, regular exercise - mixing hacks with schoolwork, shelter from bad weather, a field with decent fencing......... he doesnt care about material things.

I know, we have established this. Thank you though :)

Pie's mum

Visit site
I confess I am one of those who likes matchy - and when my boy is extra good it makes me want to buy him a prezzie - I know he doesn't really understand and he is happiest with a stud muffin and a cuddle to tell him how much he is appreciated, then being turned out with his girlfriend to roll and just be a horse. However it makes me happy - I don't have pots of money but I love spending bits on him as a treat now and then.

Did you know Lemieux are releasing new colours for the Autumn? I am a fan of blingy browbands too and he has one to match his jumping saddlecloth.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I confess I am one of those who likes matchy - and when my boy is extra good it makes me want to buy him a prezzie - I know he doesn't really understand and he is happiest with a stud muffin and a cuddle to tell him how much he is appreciated, then being turned out with his girlfriend to roll and just be a horse. However it makes me happy - I don't have pots of money but I love spending bits on him as a treat now and then.

Did you know Lemieux are releasing new colours for the Autumn? I am a fan of blingy browbands too and he has one to match his jumping saddlecloth.

I'm so glad you said that, I couldn't explain how I felt but that's it. We enjoy it, we love them and want to smother them!
Are they? This is how we end up with no money! He ends up with more outfits than me! I'm in love with the Lemieux denim matching set.

I feel the need to make a shamballa browband for every outfit he has but tell myself I can't use the stock!

www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bonnybridles they're all on there! The front picture on the double row browband is my boys one. Only a shot of his forehead but it looks great over his dark green ear bonnet, of course!

pixie27

Visit site
I love doing things like that but not sure where I would find them?

RE the charity thing - check out Prince Fluffy Kareem on Facebook. They do INCREDIBLE work over in Egypt. Obviously there's a lot of good charities in the UK, but it's pretty unrelenting over there - not sure how they stay sane. You can make one off donations or sponsor their foster horses - they've got loads that they keep on,

And with regards to spoiling ponies, check out all the different kind of herbs you can get. Ours love it - everything from dandelion to peppermint to mixed hedgerow. I'll try to find the name of the website my friend orders off. Basically it's things that horses would naturally forage for in the wild. They know what they need and it changes from day to day - one of ours went through a period of LOVING these berry things, literally scoffing them. Then two weeks later he couldn't care less. All depends on what they need at the time, and it's really nice seeing them 'satisfy' themselves once they've had what they need.

Turned out the berries related to itchy skin, and he stopped wanting them at the same time his skin got better.

On a purely superficial level, you can never have too much matchy matchy :p and don't forget matching clothes for you!

Ellietotz

Visit site
RE the charity thing - check out Prince Fluffy Kareem on Facebook. They do INCREDIBLE work over in Egypt. Obviously there's a lot of good charities in the UK, but it's pretty unrelenting over there - not sure how they stay sane. You can make one off donations or sponsor their foster horses - they've got loads that they keep on,

And with regards to spoiling ponies, check out all the different kind of herbs you can get. Ours love it - everything from dandelion to peppermint to mixed hedgerow. I'll try to find the name of the website my friend orders off. Basically it's things that horses would naturally forage for in the wild. They know what they need and it changes from day to day - one of ours went through a period of LOVING these berry things, literally scoffing them. Then two weeks later he couldn't care less. All depends on what they need at the time, and it's really nice seeing them 'satisfy' themselves once they've had what they need.

Turned out the berries related to itchy skin, and he stopped wanting them at the same time his skin got better.

On a purely superficial level, you can never have too much matchy matchy :p and don't forget matching clothes for you!

I really like the sound of the herbs and mixed hedgerow etc! Please let me know the site when you can! :)

dollyanna

Visit site
I forage for my ponies, whether they are in the field or in the stable. In the field I just scatter around for them to hunt out, stable I tend to hang things in big bunches from the rafters and let them help themselves. Things to look out for are beech branches, raspberry canes (discovered this this year!!), nettles (might need 24hrs to wilt before they eat them), thistles (again, might be left hanging for a few hours before they tuck in), cow parsley, hawthorn, mint, rosehips.

Equi

Visit site
I don't know whether I'm going through an early midlife crisis or what but I genuinely begeudge buying anything these days. I bought a dressage saddle (just wintec) and had a numnah from last horse. Then when I started using a friends gp I was switching the numnah every other ride cause I was too tight to buy a new cloth Hahaa. Just bought one in a sale though - and I did treat myself to a micklem but everything else is just no. I refuse.

I used to have a new numnah for every day and a rug for every occasion! He's lucky if he gets a rain sheet that's not broken and I'm pretty sure the heavy rug was stolen but I don't know from who. It's just known as mine now lol the head collar is the one he came in and is about to fall apart and I win the leadrope in a show haha. Frugile is my new name.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I spoil mine by just trying to give them the most basic things that they thrive on - living out 24/7 with permanent access to open stables, decent food and decent turnout rugs. I never buy anything colour-coordinated or anything just for the hell of it, I dont really see the point but I will spend money where I think its necessary like on a decent saddle etc. I just want my horses to be as mentally and physically happy as possible. They get things like "treats" obviously like veg and fruit from my garden and two of them have just spent the afternoon grazing in my back garden - natural lawnmowers and they love it... (shhh don't tell OH!).

peanut

Visit site
I spoil mine by just trying to give them the most basic things that they thrive on - living out 24/7 with permanent access to open stables, decent food and decent turnout rugs. I never buy anything colour-coordinated or anything just for the hell of it, I dont really see the point but I will spend money where I think its necessary like on a decent saddle etc. I just want my horses to be as mentally and physically happy as possible. They get things like "treats" obviously like veg and fruit from my garden and two of them have just spent the afternoon grazing in my back garden - natural lawnmowers and they love it... (shhh don't tell OH!).

This ^^.

I am always aware and respectful that my horse is an equine and not a human. I do everything I can to make her feel happy, comfortable, content and loved as a horse.

atropa

Visit site
OP you sound just like me, I love to spoil my girls and trust me, just because they have a wardrobe bigger than mine does not mean that I scrimp on their basic day to day care. They have big stables, thick EVA mats,big beds,ad lib forage and appropriate feeding, farrier every 6 weeks,dentist twice yearly, saddle fitter twice yearly, 24/7 turnout in summer and 11 hours in winter, physio every couple of months, lessons fortnightly and a mixed workload including lovely off road hacking. There seems to be this trend that anyone who dresses their horses in nice rugs/match sets is considered frivolous and idiotic, when that doesn't have to be the case. I go without new clothes and nights out because I like to dress my horses nicely on top of what I already pay for their lifestyle. I didn't have horses growing up and I work extremely hard to pay for them both myself, so sue me if they look like the spawn of Barbie and My Little Pony. I also give to charity and volunteer when I'm able.
OP I suggest a nice quality grooming kit such as HAAS, a massage, some hand grazing or a clinic, maybe cavaletti as that seems quite popular round our way right now!

Ellietotz

Visit site
OP you sound just like me, I love to spoil my girls and trust me, just because they have a wardrobe bigger than mine does not mean that I scrimp on their basic day to day care. They have big stables, thick EVA mats,big beds,ad lib forage and appropriate feeding, farrier every 6 weeks,dentist twice yearly, saddle fitter twice yearly, 24/7 turnout in summer and 11 hours in winter, physio every couple of months, lessons fortnightly and a mixed workload including lovely off road hacking. There seems to be this trend that anyone who dresses their horses in nice rugs/match sets is considered frivolous and idiotic, when that doesn't have to be the case. I go without new clothes and nights out because I like to dress my horses nicely on top of what I already pay for their lifestyle. I didn't have horses growing up and I work extremely hard to pay for them both myself, so sue me if they look like the spawn of Barbie and My Little Pony. I also give to charity and volunteer when I'm able.
OP I suggest a nice quality grooming kit such as HAAS, a massage, some hand grazing or a clinic, maybe cavaletti as that seems quite popular round our way right now!

Completely with you there. I love to spoil him and show him off. He lives out all year round which he loves, he has good rugs, good shelter and his friends. He is very well looked after, I always make sure he gets the very best! He gets to have a couple of hours wandering around the forest every week and a good gallop. I've just bought him a massive swede, I can't wait to give it to him. He's going to be so happy!