How else can I possibly spoil my horse??

Ellietotz

Visit site
Honestly, I think it's just the people read the title and were expecting something a bit different, so you're getting some replies which perhaps weren't what you expected. I'd agree that those things aren't really what I'd call a treat for my horse, he'd much rather not be ridden, to stuff his face and spend his days in the field.

That said, I think it's fun to buy stuff that's a treat for us, and there are some other things you can buy to treat him too, some which cost, some which don't e.g. equine massage, physio session, a fun trip out, non-sugary treats as yours is lami prone, spending fun time together doing ground work or grooming if he likes that, giving him a selection of horse/lami friendly herbs and plants, even an aromatherapy session!

I'd def be looking for a nice leather bridle too. And some matchy never goes astray in my book.

Not all treats for him, but who cares, sometimes it's nice to treat ourselves !

I agree with the ridden part. I just didn't want to say anything though. Of course I keep him fit and healthy but like you said, I'm sure if he had a choice between being worked or getting fat in the field, I know what one he'd choose! He's obsessed with his scratchy spots, so much so that once you've started, that's it, forget about any other chore! I enjoy spending money on him but ran out of ideas! I may see if there are non-sugary treats you can make as well.

cobsandbassets

Visit site
Just googled fern and it's not that, so don't know. Can only imagine this will cause more crit though, may see if they can delete post.

If it's the one that's out in May/June could be cow parsley which we pick for ours. They love it. Wasn't criticism just advice. We love our two. Think people are saying there's more to it than matchy matchy but you seem to have everything covered

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Have to admit to being a horse-spoiler, stuff they neither want, need or care about in the slightest! Fleece lined headcollars! Horzehoods have a really nice turquoise one! Its something I enjoy doing and if its not detrimental to their health then whats the harm! :)

Ellietotz

Visit site
Have to admit to being a horse-spoiler, stuff they neither want, need or care about in the slightest! Fleece lined headcollars! Horzehoods have a really nice turquoise one! Its something I enjoy doing and if its not detrimental to their health then whats the harm! :)

Thank you!! He actually has three fleece lined headcollars, black, blue and a new market style one with a matching cooling fleece rug to go with it... literally can't help it!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I am very proud of him, I like him to look good and I like giving him treats and scratches to show my appreciation! Haven't tried blackberries, he is very fussy though. Most of the time, he will refuse a fresh juicy apple. God knows why!

Sounds like me and mine - he won't eat apples as he knows I've tried to hide meds in them in the past 😄

I also love to Pimp my ride, he's 21 and I no longer compete but I've recently bought two le mieux sets (teal and terracotta) and I've got matching tops to go with them. He's a people horse and loves to be admired - laps it up and I love for people to admire him. Out on our hacks people often tell me how pretty he is and I've had some nice comments about our full regalia.

One thing he really enjoys is a good rub over with a "jelly scrubber" brush. I do this before almost every ride and he pulls all sorts of contorted faces in ecstasy. Both of us get pleasure from that.

Charlie007

Visit site
Sounds like me and mine - he won't eat apples as he knows I've tried to hide meds in them in the past ��

I also love to Pimp my ride, he's 21 and I no longer compete but I've recently bought two le mieux sets (teal and terracotta) and I've got matching tops to go with them. He's a people horse and loves to be admired - laps it up and I love for people to admire him. Out on our hacks people often tell me how pretty he is and I've had some nice comments about our full regalia.

One thing he really enjoys is a good rub over with a "jelly scrubber" brush. I do this before almost every ride and he pulls all sorts of contorted faces in ecstasy. Both of us get pleasure from that.

Sorry to hijack but where did you get your matching teal top?! Of course I don't spoil mine at all...never buy them anything......:)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Ellietotz

Visit site
Sounds like me and mine - he won't eat apples as he knows I've tried to hide meds in them in the past 😄

You can get matching clothes? ... why don't I know about this?!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
What about trying some different dried or fresh herbs...let him choose to see what he likes??
I know someone who used to use aromatherapy oils and let the horse smell the ones it liked etc?? :)

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Get him a friend! Ideally one without a wardrobe (so you can start over). I'm personally a bit too old school - my horse has everything he needs, but only one of it (and everything is decent quality). My best friend however has 20 bridles, 30 bandage/saddle cloth matchy sets, God knows how many boots and rugs she has too (just for one horse). The best was when she bought a dressage saddle made to measure, and has never used it since the day it was fitted - absolutely nuts! OP try chucking some apples in a water bucket, or hide carrots in a Haynet - my boy loves that.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Get him a friend! Ideally one without a wardrobe (so you can start over). I'm personally a bit too old school - my horse has everything he needs, but only one of it (and everything is decent quality). My best friend however has 20 bridles, 30 bandage/saddle cloth matchy sets, God knows how many boots and rugs she has too (just for one horse). The best was when she bought a dressage saddle made to measure, and has never used it since the day it was fitted - absolutely nuts! OP try chucking some apples in a water bucket, or hide carrots in a Haynet - my boy loves that.

I love that idea! He does enjoy a hanging swede too. Lots of ideas :)

planete

Visit site
I can understand wanting your horse to look nice but once he has everything he needs, could you spare a thought, and some of the money you are eager to spend, on helping less fortunate horses? Try it, it will make you feel at least as good as buying a new numnah and you will help less fortunate animals.

And yes, i know I am a spoilsport. Can't help it!

Micropony

Visit site
Or a bottle of stout.

Mine has never been offered either of those things, but I am embarrassed to admit he does like a drop of lager. Carlsberg, to be specific. I do not drink lager and am accepting no responsibility for this.

My last horse was very fussy about what he would eat, and was deeply suspicious of anything that wasn't hay, haylage, proper horse feed, an apple, a carrot, a pear or a mint. Not interested in other fruit and veg, horse treats, including likits, or other human food. Except for the occasional pickled onion monster munch. Go figure.

Seriously though, those gloves from horse health that Annagain was talking about, they are the business. Horse's eyes light up when he sees them coming out of the grooming box, and they are great for getting mud off and coat out.

Seriously though, my horse's idea of a treat would be time with his mates eating lush grass. He gets all the other stuff (sports massages, nice well fitting tack, nice rugs that fit well, generally nice STUFF) too but I am under no illusion that it's not for my benefit at least as much as his!

wiglet

Visit site
I buy my horse lots of goodies, he also has a great life. He goes out in a nice field all day every day, has teeth checks, back checks, saddle checks etc. I make his work as much fun for him as possible. I put carrots and apples in his feed. I scratch his itchy bits to order etc. etc. etc. Buying loads of saddle cloths, nice bridles etc make me feel happy. Yes I know he couldn't care less of it's a nice Teal LM or a cheapo dull brown cotton thing from amazon but I care. I'm proud of my horse and I like him to look smart.

I agree with this, these are my thoughts too.
Probably the nicest thing I've done this year is move my horse from individual grazing, which she seemed fine with... to paired grazing which she totally loves - I cannot believe the change in her, it's so good to see her mutually grooming with her friend.

saddlesore

Visit site
A zilco endurance bridle sbd breastplate in funky colours. I love them and you can wash them in the sink with fairy liquid! If I was loaded then a fairfax bridle and bates saddle 😁

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Obviously horses don't care what colour they wear, but I too like my girl to look smart. I have an obsession with trying to find a turnout that really fits her as she is so narrow.

A leather bridle would be top of my list. This could also be considered a treat for him as a good quality leather bridle will be comfier. Also think about yourself. I have a lot of problems with back and joints and recently splashed out on some expensive stirrups. They have made such a difference and I think she notices too.

My last horse would have died for those gloves! If he likes a scratch then I would definitely get some.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I can understand wanting your horse to look nice but once he has everything he needs, could you spare a thought, and some of the money you are eager to spend, on helping less fortunate horses? Try it, it will make you feel at least as good as buying a new numnah and you will help less fortunate animals.

And yes, i know I am a spoilsport. Can't help it!

I love doing things like that but not sure where I would find them?