How much did you pay for your horse?

CastleMouse

Visit site
I paid €1700 (about £1,100) for Castle
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Paid £3000 for Sky. Price wasn't really an issue for us though, we wanted her for who she was (Sid's half sister) - not what she was. If that makes sense?

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Off topic rather but I think Sky is lovely
laugh.gif
And in your position, id have done exactly the same to get hold of Sid's sister!

p.s. how are you getting on with her now? I read at one point you were considering selling her?

Bri

Visit site
Thank you!! She is fairly easy on the eye - although not the most photogenic of horses - will never pose!

Much much better. She's moved stables so she's now on the back yard and as yet has no neighbours. She's completely changed. Stopped all her threatening behaviour, and loves cuddles again. Her behaviour around other horses and whilst ridden has completely changed too. Think she must have been really insecure in her old stable - she used to lunge at anything or anyone who went past!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Paid £1,800 for Chancer as a 13 month colt - yes a stupid price, but you try finding a nice well bred gypsy cob for less at the moment. His field mate was the same age but piebald and a bit more feather and was £15,000 (though was by Nobby).

He was priced at £2,500 but I got a discount as I did a database and some legal research for the owner.

_daisy_

Visit site
We paid £1300 for Sasha 11 years ago - inc her tack and rugs. She was just a fat cob in everyone elses eyes but shes been the best pony ever & safe as houses.
We paid £2000 for Ebi as a 3yo just backed - lovely breeding. Friend told us to buy her so we did!!!! yes silly thinking about it now but again turned into a brill horse. She came with a head collar and a rug oh yes and a bit.
I paid £2500 for Chantin as a 2 1/2 month old foal - shouldve been £8k but got her from my friend so she sold her me cheaper - eventing potential - young horse for me to bring on.
Then we paid £2000 for Flighty inc tack & rugs - just wanted a nice forward going pony to replace Sasha.
Then god knows how much Willow has cost me to breed but again a young horse for me to hopefully bring on to event.

not_with_it

Visit site
Paid £2500 for Gin. She was scraggy and naughty, unbalanced and weedy but she had a personality. She won her first ever dressage test and I just knew I had to have her. Bought her after a year of riding her and offered her owner every penny I had, she was up for a lot more.
I dont regret buying her at all, even when she is in 'boot camp' for being naughty. She has transformed so much. In my eyes she was a bargain.

Went from this
gin1.jpg

To this
Photo0025.jpg

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Rocks was waaaaay over priced but hes turned out to be a star
When i bought him as a rising 4year old, backed but no schooling, £5000. Way over priced but his grandsire is clover hill on the stallion side (sire pride of gloster) so his breeding probably made his price a bit high....when i got him he was thin, hadnt been shod in 12weeks (still same shoes on!) was covered in fly bites and looked like a cruelty case...but now hes a gorgeous 6yo, good weight good muscle and performing beyond what i could have predicted!

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
First one was a foal ten years ago and I paid £600

Arleta was £1000 when I first bought her and £2500 when I bought her back a couple of years later as she as properly schooled ect.

New horsey was only £850

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oshk cost my dad a bit over 3k as a naughty5/6yo that had TCed to Int level, SJed, hunted and done novice drs- but was strong in his mouth and guy that had him wanted a dressage hoss, didnt want to spoil his jumping talent.
Berth cost about 3k 14ish years ago- which back then wasnt cheap.
Herc was bought for 4k, mostly for his breed.
Speed was 2k, Mar was 5k and Gem was 1k, all sold within last 2 years and made a bit on them
smile.gif

charlie76

Visit site
I paid £1200 for my Hannovarian x TB, he was rising 5 yrs old. Well bred by Guardian and moves beautifully. He was advertised for £4500 but we knocked them down- bargain!

My Irish Sports Horse was £3200 inc. tack and equipment.He was a 4 yr old and is competeing at pre novice level.

The trakhener x tb was £2500 , she is 6 yrs old and had BD points. She is the easiest horse in the world to ride and do.

My horse that I recently lost was £150 as a 3 yr old. He went on to be a county level show hunter inc. a 2nd and 3rd placing in HOYS qualifiers.

So there are bargains to be had!

patchandloopy

Visit site
i paid just under £3K for N, and hes 'now'! worth every penny and more-we had trust issues for a year or so-and wasnt everything i was told on the tin!! We still have a couple left to get around (mainly jumping). I do BD on him now, was hoping when i brought him to be doing BSJA and RC/low level eventing-lol! maybe one day
crazy.gif
grin.gif
but i couldnt sell him to get another to do what a truely want now, i did think about it but couldnt do it to him.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im quite surprised at how little most have paid TBH! Especially down in England where Ive noticed prices are INSANE! You must have been really good searchers to find your bargain horses!
wink.gif
I thought when I started this post that Id find most people would be like spending over £8k etc! Im pleasantly surprised!

Ive spent:

£1000 on a 13.2hh native 5yo ride & drive. I think he was overpriced looking back as it was years ago now and he hadnt really done much. But he had an amazing temp so did suit me and I still have him
smile.gif

£100 for the 3yo shetland who accompanied the pony above!

£2000 for a 5yo highland who actually turned out to be a little superstar! Had many years of winning pretty much everything on him, he used to kick ass show jumping! I dont think he ever refused in all the years I had him and very very rarely knocked a pole.

£4000 This is the most Ive ever spent on a horse. He was very overpriced, he was an 8yo Warmblood who the owners said was "a brilliant all rounder" when actually he wasnt..... He had masses of potential but just not the attitude. We found out he'd been seen beaten up as a youngster in the show jump ring so no wonder he hated competing! He did however have the sweetest temperament and was actually surprisingly safe to ride!

£2800 for a 16hh 5yo. Was VERY green when I bought him and extremely thin (wormy as hell) and depressed. I must say I did buy him purely based on his temperament. He seemed really genuine and luckily he turned into a wonderful horse! I still have him and he's a brilliant competition horse who is so perfrectly mannered.

£2500 for a Welsh D 3yo. Again, he was overpriced but I did buy him unseen from Wales!! (well watched a DVD). He turned out to be very very stroppy, no manners, nappy etc. But he has improved greatly and he does have the most fascinating personality.

And spent £500 on 3 ponies as well, all who've been unbacked / green.

JaneMBE

Visit site
I tend not to spend a lot, which is difficult at times! But if you wait the right horse comes along.
Horses I have bought (and some have sold as not suitable or broken) ages as at the time I bought.
Harry, £500, inc. delivery from Portsmouth. 7 yr old Welsh A (no papers)
Coco 13hh, 8 yrs, £1200 reg'd riding pony, sold on for £1000 2 years later (not suitable for school or my daughter as he had bucking problem)
Star, 17yrs, 13.3 cob £1000 with all tack including driving harness. Absolute spunk of a cob, developed mild arthritis, sold for £1000 to retire gracefully.
Magic 13.1 £700 with tack, Newfie 11 yr old. Perfect first/LR/experienced kids, adults, jumping, hacking, fun pony!
Holly, 14.0 dun Newfie x Arab, bought as unbroken 5 yr old £900. Turned out she was badly broken and maybe 10. Sold for £300 as too wild and not suitable for us
frown.gif
Big loss
Bess, 13 yrs 14.3 dun and white irish cob £1500. Dream ride. Sold for £800 18 months later as tendon injury stopped work.
frown.gif

BigMac, 16.2 TB 7 yr old £1500. Sold a few months later for £1850 as totally not suited for us.
Lucky, 15 yrs 13.2 Newfie, £300 Excellent children's pony (and light adult) Was obese and unhealthy now is just right and the best gymkhana pony!
Phantom, bought as yearling, 3/4 Arab expected to get to 14.2, £800.
Harley, Arab (full) as yearling £1000 (half bro to Phantom) expected 15.2
Eric, 15 yrs, 16.3 TB £1850. Perfect gentleman for me. Lost him nearly a year ago
frown.gif

Spud, 8 yrs 16.0 Irish Draft £1500. Excellent hacker, bit there for novices. Loves jumping.
Jeddah, permanent loan.

I think that is it! All have been good reasonably priced neddies, some made a huge loss financially, but it's swings n roundabouts. I do prefer 1500 and under
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
7.5K for successful pre-novice, reasonable novice horse recommended by pro rider.
4.5K for green 14.2 with talent (sold for +8.5k)
6K for safe 14.2 who popped 1m happily and had been there done it and would take me up the ranks
6K again for another 14.2, with more points but not quite as wonderful (I think). been there done it.
1300 for safe 13hh
300 for sh!tland that bit kicked charged etc.
and 1.5K for ID/tb mare who had been broken by a 'jockey' and came witha mouth cut to pieces.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
too much for eddie, not enough for harry!!!

paid £4.5k for eddie, as a 5 year old that hadnt actually done an awful lot- we where desperate at the time for something safe and sensible, and he was the first horse that was!

paid £1.8k for Harry, 8 year old, £300 bsja, been a fab hunter but bucks like mad
laugh.gif

zizz

Visit site
well the mare we paid £1000 for, broke, put in foal, sold for £2500 then bought back agian for £1250, 11 years later!

My geldings homebred so I guess £1200 inc vets fees and stud charges

Then the NF geldings at £100 each, sold 4 months later broken in for £800 and £900 repsectively

Lastly my lovely 16.2 11yr ex racer bought for £1250 and sold a year later for £3500.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Freckles cost me £1500 as a 5 month old foal (8 years ago)
Ticky was also £1500 as a 2 1/2 year old (3 1/2) years ago
Funny cost £3500 last year shes now 9, but is a horse you can put anyone on and is a real star
Kimera was almost 4 when we got her last year, she was unbroken and cost £2500

nothing came with any tack or anything,
the foals, Harley 's dads stud fee was £600
Moonshine his dads stud fee was £400

polyphonic

Visit site
i paid £2000 for flint with all tack, 9 rugs, grooming kit, broom and a wheel barrow....bit of a problem horse and they just wanted rid. they sed they would keep in touch and after giving me the wheel barrow with him i thought i wudnt hear from them again...guess wat... i was right!

Emma123

Visit site
For Dexter i paid £1500 just broken and couldn't canter-sold 3 years later for £6200
blush.gif
!

Bailey i paid £3000 been backed and to a few shows and working nicely, but he windsucks so doubt he'll ever go for more than that even though he's perfect
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Paid £3000 for mine. I bought her cos she was a grey mare who looked like my last grey mare! I wanted a hunter and bought a 4 year old tbxid that had done NOTHING!!
She hunts now though, what a star! And jumping!! Woo hoo! Glad I'm not near the Cotswolds or Weezy would snaffler her!!

[/ QUOTE ]

mad.gif