How much is a 'sensible offer' and when does it become unreasonable?

twiggy2

Visit site
That's true. Would you suggest sticking to the £4000 offer or going lower? Only as £4000 is still a bit of a stretch for me realistically.
When I was selling someone offering less than my asking price (which was fair) just told me they could not afford keep the horse.
4k is not a lot of money especially when including transporting a horse from abroad, offer what you can afford, if you can stretch to 4k offer it, if you can afford more offer it.
If not have the honesty to say 'i am prepared to offer' not 'i can only afford' your finances are not the sellers concern.
Don't get me wrong I like a bargain and will offer a lower amount but am straight up and say 'i can give you x amount on x day and collect on x day' then they say yes or no bit I don't involve the seller in my personal finances.

__am.elia

Visit site
When I was selling someone offering less than my asking price (which was fair) just told me they could not afford keep the horse.
4k is not a lot of money especially when including transporting a horse from abroad, offer what you can afford, if you can stretch to 4k offer it, if you can afford more offer it.
If not have the honesty to say 'i am prepared to offer' not 'i can only afford' your finances are not the sellers concern.
Don't get me wrong I like a bargain and will offer a lower amount but am straight up and say 'i can give you x amount on x day and collect on x day' then they say yes or no bit I don't involve the seller in my personal finances.

I totally agree - I understand 4k is usually not a lot of money for a horse, but it is to a uni student like me haha!

That's good advice thank you :) probably best not to mention that I'd be making the offer because I can't afford to go much higher.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
When I bought my last horse from Spain I made an offer that was immediately accepted...which made me wish I had made a lower offer. :p Fab horse nonetheless so it is whatever now.

I understand not wanting to upset or insult a seller, but I'd just be truthful. Say this is what I have, therefore this is what I can pay, can you accept this offer? If they say no, think if you can come up a bit and meet somewhere, if not, continue in your search. Sometimes if a horse has been on the market for awhile and its a good match, the seller may take a little less.

I can understand a sellers frustration with tire kickers, but I'd still make the offer and see what happens...otherwise, if you're like me, you'll wonder "what if"

__am.elia

Visit site
When I bought my last horse from Spain I made an offer that was immediately accepted...which made me wish I had made a lower offer. :p Fab horse nonetheless so it is whatever now.

I understand not wanting to upset or insult a seller, but I'd just be truthful. Say this is what I have, therefore this is what I can pay, can you accept this offer? If they say no, think if you can come up a bit and meet somewhere, if not, continue in your search. Sometimes if a horse has been on the market for awhile and its a good match, the seller may take a little less.

I can understand a sellers frustration with tire kickers, but I'd still make the offer and see what happens...otherwise, if you're like me, you'll wonder "what if"

Great thanks :)

Just out of curiosity, was your Spanish horse a private sale or dealer? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
As others have said you have nothing to lose and you have no idea what a seller's lowest acceptable price may be. I once refused an offer that was lower than what I felt was a fair reflection of the horse, but and I have also accepted a very low offer on another horse. The difference was due to what was going on for me at the time and not really on the value of the horses.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
ETA personally I disagree with saying 'this is what I am willing to offer' instead of 'this is what I can afford'. The former sounds like that is what you think the horse is worth. Also it depends on whether the type of home matters to the seller - this is more likely to be in a private sale than a dealer - but I would say that I love the horse and can offer a long term quality home (assuming that is true) but am only able to afford 4k total.

irishdraft

Visit site
On the transport front, I think you can get it done cheaper with a decent transporter. John Parker International runs to Spain very regularly.

I was also thinking this have you checked out transport costs a shared load can be fairly reasonable

__am.elia

Visit site
ETA personally I disagree with saying 'this is what I am willing to offer' instead of 'this is what I can afford'. The former sounds like that is what you think the horse is worth. Also it depends on whether the type of home matters to the seller - this is more likely to be in a private sale than a dealer - but I would say that I love the horse and can offer a long term quality home (assuming that is true) but am only able to afford 4k total.

Yes this is true actually, good point..

It seems that the seller definitely cares about what home the horse goes to :) I spoke to her a few months ago when he was first advertised, but didn't commit to anything as it just wasn't the right time for me to buy a horse with my upcoming uni and exams etc (which I expressed to the seller and they were fine with it).

They now seem to be quite happy that I've re-enquired about the horse, because they were very willing to sell him to me beforehand (even though I couldn't commit to anything) as they thought we would be well suited. This is why I am unsure whether to stretch to an offer of £4000 or to go slightly lower and risk being denied the sale of the horse.

Can you tell I overthink everything haha? I just want to do right by the seller and the horse, and not be a time-waster.

Roxylola

Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't mess I'd just say this is the most I can afford now. Otherwise, if they say no and you say Oh well I could do another £xxx I would think you were just a messer personally.
It's like going to a carboot, haggling something from £5 to £3 then handing over a fiver and expecting change - clearly you could afford more you just didn't want to pay it!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Thank you :)

Do you know roughly how much they charge?

I can't remember, but they do shared loads which really lowers the cost. You could also ask EHB International - Steve Airey he is now doing runs down to Spain and back and his horse care if top notch. Most companies will give you a ball park quote and organise the paperwork.

__am.elia

Visit site
Just give them a ring and ask, they are back and forth all the time and will be able to tell you straight off. I'd be surprised if it's as much as £900 but I suppose it depends where in Spain and where in the UK.

Ok thank you.

It's Andalusia (so southern Spain) to the West Midlands :)

__am.elia

Visit site
I can't remember, but they do shared loads which really lowers the cost. You could also ask EHB International - Steve Airey he is now doing runs down to Spain and back and his horse care if top notch. Most companies will give you a ball park quote and organise the paperwork.

Thank you!

Leo Walker

Visit site

That's clearly not true though. As it happens I paid asking price for both of mine as they were both bargains. I think they are the only ones I've not haggled on though. Neither of them were anywhere near 4k, not even the combined price of both is 4k. I happily afford to keep them.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ha ha! You Englishers are so funny :) Why on earth would you think a seller would take offence at an offer? That's how horse trading works. They ask, you offer. The very worst that could happen is that they'll say "no".

The average cost of transport from Spain to the UK is €900=£765: you can also try to haggle there...

PS. I once offered €500 for a horse advertised at €5,000, and the offer was accepted. I've also been given horses that were priced at more than the one you're looking at.

__am.elia

Visit site
Ha ha! You Englishers are so funny :) Why on earth would you think a seller would take offence at an offer? That's how horse trading works. They ask, you offer. The very worst that could happen is that they'll say "no".

The average cost of transport from Spain to the UK is €900=£765: you can also try to haggle there...

Haha we are just too polite I think!

sportsmansB

Visit site
There is a lot of jumping in Spain at the moment so chances of transporters going out and back with shared loads is high
I would only caution you against over stretching yourself on the horse, as the costs of keep are never what we tell ourselves they could be (always more!!) and with a new horse, especially from far away, you will be wanting (hopefully!) lots of lessons to start you off on the right path

__am.elia

Visit site
PS. I once offered €500 for a horse advertised at €5 said:
given[/B] horses that were priced at more than the one you're looking at.

WOW. That's crazy, and very lucky! Although I highly doubt that my offer would be accepted if I offered that big of a reduction regarding the potential new horse haha :) I wish!

Winters100

Visit site
Don't be afraid to make an offer. 18 months ago I accepted a low offer for a horse and also allowed the seller to pay only a deposit for the first months, and this was despite having an offer for full price on the table. The reason was that I was not convinced that he would suit the other buyer (or I should probably say I was convinced that he would NOT suit the other buyer) and I did not think they would take good care of him. He has gone to the perfect home and I have not regretted it for a second. If the seller cares about the horse and feel that you are a good fit they may try to accommodate you.

__am.elia

Visit site
have you been to try this horse? and is it going to be vetted? that is another cost to be added as well.. it sounds as though you may not be able to afford to manage so why not save a bit more before you jump in....

I’m just being conscious about budgeting for upkeep of the horse, whilst not wanting to go too low on the offer.

It’s not that I can’t afford it as I’ve been saving for a while now (realistically can’t afford full price but could afford it with a price reduction), but I just want to have lots of extra money left over for maintenance :)

shortstuff99

Visit site
Is it an ANCCE registered horse? The importation to the UK fee and subsequent registration in your name costs about £400 (with BAPSH), you will also have to pay for a vet to check it is the correct horse in the UK for your import to the british passporting agency.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s not always what you offer, it’s how you go about making that offer.

I’m quite cheeky and will happily offer significantly lower BUT I rarely haggle, I offer what I’m prepared to pay (nicely) and leave that offer on the table.

I also never view a horse unless I have the full asking price available should I love the horse OR I’ve had the conversation with buyer the horse is over budget before I travel.

Last horse I bought I got nearly half price ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I frequently have paid much less than 25% less than the asked price .
so go for it .
and it is a lot how you position it and the most I can go is 4K delivered because that’s all I have got is a fair argument be polite be clear and see what happens .
I have a good hit rate with saying I like him I want him but I wont pay more than x because of y and z and explain how I get to that value .
It really depends on the market there how many are moving atm I have done some great deals here with dealers in December by now here you are moving into the selling season and it’s late for getting a great deal but in Spain I don’t know .

Last edited: