How much is a 'sensible offer' and when does it become unreasonable?

SpringArising

Visit site
I paid 3500 for mine, he was advertised at 4000. I think she could see how much I cared for him and knew he would be well looked after, which helped.

I personally wouldn't say anything about not being able to afford it - if someone said that to me I'd be less inclined than if they just said 'I really love him but I need to budget for a new saddle/transport etc. also' because I'd start worrying if they could afford the horse in general.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Great thanks :)

Just out of curiosity, was your Spanish horse a private sale or dealer? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Yes, I bought from a dealer. I wouldn't hesitate to go through him again.

I used John Parker International for transport and I think it was roughly 800-850 GBP From Spain (Extremadura region) Germany. This was almost 3 years ago though. They were great.

dixie

Visit site
Ha ha! You Englishers are so funny :) Why on earth would you think a seller would take offence at an offer? That's how horse trading works. They ask, you offer. The very worst that could happen is that they'll say "no".

The average cost of transport from Spain to the UK is €900=£765: you can also try to haggle there...

PS. I once offered €500 for a horse advertised at €5,000, and the offer was accepted. I've also been given horses that were priced at more than the one you're looking at.

I think you need to ask Cortez to offer for you !

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
There are worse things in life than wasting a seller's time! But you say you dont want to be one so just some feedback : to me viewing horses that are so far over budget that you can't make a sensible offer even when invited to do so is wasting everyone's time. Especially yours. Not saying that to be horrible as im sure you are not deliberately time wasting but maybe you need to be more honest with yourself before you arrange to view. Viewings are time consuming for sellers and theres no point in them if a buyer is not going to make any kind of offer no matter how much they like the horse.

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

__am.elia

Visit site
There are worse things in life than wasting a seller's time! But you say you dont want to be one so just some feedback : to me viewing horses that are so far over budget that you can't make a sensible offer even when invited to do so is wasting everyone's time. Especially yours. Not saying that to be horrible as im sure you are not deliberately time wasting but maybe you need to be more honest with yourself before you arrange to view. Viewings are time consuming for sellers and theres no point in them if a buyer is not going to make any kind of offer no matter how much they like the horse.

Good luck with the search.

Thanks, I completely agree :)

I think that I was just so in love with the horse that I was desperate to make it work, but have realised now that it just wasn’t going to.

I’m obviously very disappointed but have accepted now that it just won’t happen sadly, and that I will strictly look for horses at a lower price range (which I was doing anyway but then that horse came up ;)).

Thank you for your advice! (and everyone else of course)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Yes definitely. And some posters enjoy virtual pony shopping so you can post a list of criteria and we can go searching for you.....?

__am.elia

Visit site
Are you looking for a Spanish horse in particular? I know of a few for sale in the UK that aren't too expensive, but they are very green.

Breed isn’t massively important to me, but if I could choose I would ideally like a baroque type horse (Spanish or Friesian) :)

I also would like a project so don’t mind anything green. Could you tell me more about the horses please/do they have an advert I could look at?

Thank you!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I was a bit cheeky when I was buying my weanling from Germany and basically made an offer in euros rather than GBP. Due to the exchange rate at the time it didn't look like I was asking for a huge amount off on paper even though in reality it equated to about £1500 or around 30% off. I couldn't quite believe it when they agreed, although it helped I knew they were rapidly downsizing and wanted an easy sale.