How Much????

Ballerina

Visit site
I've got a mare on loan and would like to know your views how much she's worth as been asked if I'd like to buy her.
16.1hh
Mare
13 years old
Ex show jumper 1.40 can't jump this no more
Sweet natured
Quirky to ride
Has had colic surgery
Has slight twisted pelvis
Nut job on a hack
Quite spooky
Defo not a novice ride
Does dish unite in canter
Can be naughty being lead in/ out of field.
Weaves in stable/ trailer/ when tied up.
I love his mare to bits and has come on leaps and bounds.

They have said £2000 but I think a lot less as I've spent a fortune on a saddle that fits, pysio teeth ect .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Meat money. Unsellable. Won't pass a vet. Only worth what someone will pay. Frankly I'd expect her to be gifted to you for a token pound.

Tash88

Visit site
Definitely less than that as it sounds like you have put a lot of work into her, plus it doesn't sound like many people would get on with her as you do. It's difficult though, what do you think the owners would be like to negotiate with? Do you think they'd threaten to take her back if you don't buy her at the price they set?

Given her medical history and her quirks I would say £1k at the very maximum. If I were the owners I would be giving her to you for a token amount, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like they are like that.

Good luck.

Ballerina

Visit site
They asked some one else so haven't asked me directly YET, don't think they would take her off me as its not the money with them , just don't think they want her back . If they ask me directly then I'd put an offer in but wanted a round about mark from u lovely people

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
They should be glad you are willing to take her, they'd struggle to find a home otherwise. Token price so you can say you bought her but no more.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Meat money. Unsellable. Won't pass a vet. Only worth what someone will pay. Frankly I'd expect her to be gifted to you for a token pound.

I'd possibly be a little less blunt but do agree with this ;)

£2k sound much much too high and I very much doubt they'd raise that from anyone if she is as you describe... If you were feeling generous then I'd be looking at a figure in the hundreds, not thousands, personally.

ycbm

Visit site
I'd possibly be a little less blunt but do agree with this ;)

£2k sound much much too high and I very much doubt they'd raise that from anyone if she is as you describe... If you were feeling generous then I'd be looking at a figure in the hundreds, not thousands, personally.

Why use 40 words when 26 did the job :D ?

Frumpoon

Visit site
I bought a 19 year old jumping horse 3 years ago, she's quirky too, not perfect but gets me out of trouble and has been literally the best and soundest horse I've ever had in 30 years

I paid £2k and I'd pay it all over again

If I were in your shoes I'd pay the £2k and count my lucky stars I'd got such a good quality horse

Goldenstar

Visit site
TBH they should sell you the horse for a pound be thankful she has found someone to love her .
However how low can you go without being insulting and causing a fuss that's the question .
Are really sure you want to buy her ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I bought a 19 year old jumping horse 3 years ago, she's quirky too, not perfect but gets me out of trouble and has been literally the best and soundest horse I've ever had in 30 years

I paid £2k and I'd pay it all over again

If I were in your shoes I'd pay the £2k and count my lucky stars I'd got such a good quality horse

Yours is sound though, this one isn't.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The work & maintenance you've put into her don't count I'm afraid, and your assessment of her is yours alone, so that doesn't count either. On the open market a 13 year old, 16.1h sports horse with quirks is probably reasonably fairly priced at £2,000. Make an offer if you want her, or be prepared let someone else buy her. Also, I didn't see the part where she's not sound?

ycbm

Visit site
The work & maintenance you've put into her don't count I'm afraid, and your assessment of her is yours alone, so that doesn't count either. On the open market a 13 year old, 16.1h sports horse with quirks is probably reasonably fairly priced at £2,000. Make an offer if you want her, or be prepared let someone else buy her. Also, I didn't see the part where she's not sound?

Twisted pelvis Cortez? Disunites in canter. Most vets I know wouldn't pass that for doing anything than light work, especially after a career jumping
1m 40 when it won't/can't now jump that height and is only 13. And the horse is a 'nut job' to hack and bad to even lead in hand.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
And while you say no longer a 1m 40m horse, does this mean she would take round a 1m 20? Because that would impact her pricing

Ballerina

Visit site
She was a jumper no proper schooling and she was good at it until her pelvis problem, the owners love her to bits and think she's worth her weight in gold which in a way she is as she loves to work but has crap conforMtion due to old injuries but is old. She's mad and I love it not dangerous, I do think she's worth a grand and I'm going to do the wobbleberry challenge on her this year . She will jump anything and never refuse but schooling wise is shocking and I'll have to just hope and prey she doesn't get problems with her back when in the long run. The deal was for me to loan.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Twisted pelvis is questionable, could be worked on by a decent vet physio

The handling and hacking issues would not even feature as a concern to the jumping people I know, if it jumps it has a decent value. If it isn't a 1.40 horse anymore but clears 90-1m, she's still worth a good £5-10k

ihatework

Visit site
With a slight twist to the pelvis and goes disunited in canter I would very much suspect this horse is unsound. OP i would have a vet check on this horse before you proceed

Out of interest what level is the horse currently competing at?

Ballerina

Visit site
If u watch her trotting she looks stiff . Well I only jump 90cm courses and since her colic surgery 2years ago I don't think she's jumped bigs tracks. My pysio has said she will be ok jumping tracks of 1m but not any bigger .

ycbm

Visit site
She was a jumper no proper schooling and she was good at it until her pelvis problem, the owners love her to bits and think she's worth her weight in gold which in a way she is as she loves to work but has crap conforMtion due to old injuries but is old. She's mad and I love it not dangerous, I do think she's worth a grand and I'm going to do the wobbleberry challenge on her this year . She will jump anything and never refuse but schooling wise is shocking and I'll have to just hope and prey she doesn't get problems with her back when in the long run. The deal was for me to loan.

She's disunited in canter with a twisted pelvis. Sounds like she's already got back problems to me, sorry. If you buy her, she could be a walking vet bill. If you were a friend of mine I'd be trying vet hard to dissuade you.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Twisted pelvis Cortez? Disunites in canter. Most vets I know wouldn't pass that for doing anything than light work, especially after a career jumping
1m 40 when it won't/can't now jump that height and is only 13. And the horse is a 'nut job' to hack and bad to even lead in hand.

Diagnosed? Disuniting in canter can be anything from a weak rider to an unfit, unbalanced horse. And what's a "twisted" pelvis?

ycbm

Visit site
Twisted pelvis is questionable, could be worked on by a decent vet physio

The handling and hacking issues would not even feature as a concern to the jumping people I know, if it jumps it has a decent value. If it isn't a 1.40 horse anymore but clears 90-1m, she's still worth a good £5-10k

Stiff in trot with a twisted pelvis and cantering disunited? Surely you are joking? Practically any horse can jump 90cm.

Ballerina

Visit site
All the issues isn't a problem for me, I think she's funny and got a personality. All I was asking was roughly the value of that type of horse on the market .

ycbm

Visit site
Diagnosed? Disuniting in canter can be anything from a weak rider to an unfit, unbalanced horse. And what's a "twisted" pelvis?

I'm surprised that you haven't seen any?

A twisted pelvis has one hip point routinely carried further forward and/or higher than the other. A friend of mine paid a lot of money for a well bred two year old filly with it, on the assurance that it would come right with training. It didn't, and the mare broke down and was retired at eight.

I had one fail a vet on it. Quite coincidentally it later turned up as a livery at the same stables as me and it never looked right behind. I rode it and it felt wrong and was very unsteady in the head, which I felt was connected.

Last edited:

Flyermc

Visit site
i personally think this horse is worth 2k.

Any horse can break and one who will jump anything, even upto 1m has got to be worth 2k. We paid over 1k for a lame unschooled cob after having him on trail for 2 weeks, it was the best thing we ever did :)

If you love her, she'll be worth every penny!

ycbm

Visit site
All the issues isn't a problem for me, I think she's funny and got a personality. All I was asking was roughly the value of that type of horse on the market .

On the open market she would be hard to sell at all, in my opinion.

She is, however, worth whatever you personally are prepared to pay for her.

ycbm

Visit site
i personally think this horse is worth 2k.

Any horse can break and one who will jump anything, even upto 1m has got to be worth 2k. We paid over 1k for a lame unschooled cob after having him on trail for 2 weeks, it was the best thing we ever did :)

If you love her, she'll be worth every penny!

Most horses can jump anything up to a metre, it's the riders that can't ! (Including me now I'm old!)

Ballerina

Visit site
She was jumping 1.40 courses. Until her colic surgery (not with me) I'm a leisure rider so she's happy and content with me .