How to report a company - Thunderbrook?

HBB

Visit site
But if, as your source suggests, they are leaving some listed ingredients out then anyone buying TB feeds will not be sure what they are feeding to their horses.

TB poor practice and conduct needs bumping any time something new comes to light, so thanks for the heads up.

The only product that I have ever considered buying from them is organic oats, as I couldn't source them elsewhere. I would need to trust TB that the oats are, indeed, organic and not regular oats.

You can get lovely organic oats and organic oat bran from this company, they are a bit more expensive than TB as they are human grade quality food.

https://www.honest-oats.co.uk/shop

PurBee

Visit site
But if, as your source suggests, they are leaving some listed ingredients out then anyone buying TB feeds will not be sure what they are feeding to their horses.

TB poor practice and conduct needs bumping any time something new comes to light, so thanks for the heads up.

The only product that I have ever considered buying from them is organic oats, as I couldn't source them elsewhere. I would need to trust TB that the oats are, indeed, organic and not regular oats.

You can check out the validity of the ‘organic’ status of any product by cross-checking with the organic symbol accreditation agency. If it’s not stated on the bag, ask Thunderbrook where the oats are sourced from. That source farm will have an ‘organic farm number’ registered with said agency, if genuine.

Might be worth your while googling ‘uk organic association‘ - or ‘organic oat for sale tonne’ as there are many more farms in the uk than ireland - and the irish organic reg. bodies have online website where accredited farm members can advertise their organic crops for sale. Oftentimes i see ‘organic barley 180 per tonne’ listings - so you may be able to find a genuine organic farm, buy in bulk direct from them, as the price per tonne from farmer is vastly cheaper than going through middle-men packaging feed companies who hike the price 10-fold.
You could then buy thick builders plastic rubble sacks and make up 40 bags of oats, well-sealed to keep fresh and last the year.

Lidl even do organic oats 1kg for €1!

holeymoley

Visit site
I just bought a bag of the healthy herbal chaff yesterday and it looked a lot more yellow than the last. It may just have been the dregs of the bag though v new bag.

GrassChop

Visit site
I honestly can't trust them at all now.
His behaviour was one things but now that our horses are potentially at risk is a whole different story.

I can only imagine them allowing a field full of ergot infected grass to be cut and put into his feeds still instead of losing out on money. God knows what else they do. :(

Ali27

Visit site
Oh great! I’ve just bought a bag of TB herbal chaff after using Dengie herbal chaff for last year as think the rapeseed oil in it might be causing skin issues! I flipping opened the bag tonight too so can’t take it back! Might need to source something else tomorrow!

Winters100

Visit site
Chaff does vary, but if it seems very different a reliable company should be happy to look into it for you.

I can really recommend Dengie in this regard. I have been feeding their chaff for a long time, but recently had a bag that for some reason none of the horses would touch. I contacted them and they immediately tested samples, so they could confirm that there was nothing harmful, and without being asked contacted my feed supplier to arrange a replacement bag. Nothing was found wrong with it, and the horses are happily eating the new bag, so I assume there was just some natural discrepancy. I was really happy with how they dealt with the issue and would definitely recommend them as a very professional company.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't use TB but have used various other grass chaff over the year, I think some variation in colour etc is normal as will depend on the season etc.

I'm on Dengie too at the mo, some bags are really bright green and others are darker but it all seems good quality.

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve only been using them since the start of the year, this is my third bag so I possibly don’t have a lot to go on but it is definitely more like chopped straw. Another livery uses it and it looks the same as her bag. Which is fine for me but then there we are with not stating the correct ingredients if true. I chose TB as I have an ems laminitic and I want the basic of feeds with absolutely no fillers.
I’ll check out the batch number tonight, would be interesting to see if we have the same batches or close to as I’m the other side of the country to most users here.

GrassChop

Visit site
The Dengie Meadow Grass is chopped grass, grass pellets, rapeseed oil, herbs (liquorice root, ground fennel, chamomile, aniseed and mint). I've fed it previously and it was always really nice quality, smelt lovely. They do have Pure Grass too which is just 100% grass (Fescue, Rye and Meadow Grass) and nothing else.

I've ditched the Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs and gone to Graze On Grass Pellets. I know they are slightly higher in sugar but they are easy to get hold of and a trusted supplier (as far as I know so far!).

jnb

Visit site
My cob hated the Agrobs version of Hay Cobs (I feed them soaked as he can choke) so I gave up on them. He doesn't like the grass nuts either, anyone suggest an alternative that is fed soaked?

GrassChop

Visit site
Interestingly, I noticed that my mare starting burning again really easily since I'd started the newest bag of TB Hay Cobs despite the milk thistle working so well previously. Stopped them a few days a go and already there is an improvement. Previous bags were okay and no reactions but just makes you wonder.

Po Knee

Visit site
So, I've just bought a bag of Lite & Healthy which I'll mix with the remaining TB chaff over the next couple of weeks then transition to 100%. Fingers crossed the pony will like it. He's still enjoying the rather straw-like TB but I have such doubts about the company now I'm keen to switch.

black and brown

Visit site
Just wanted to add my thoughts and question to this thread. I've just started a new bag of Healthy Herbal Chaff and was hoping that everyone would be wrong and that nothing had changed with the chaff. Unfortunately, the chaff does look very different to normal (I've been feeding it for years and never seen a batch like this) and importantly horse isn't really interested in eating it whereas he used to love his bucket feed.

So, I'm now looking for an alternative as I don't want to waste my supplements if he won't eat the chaff. What alternatives are there which don't contain alfalfa (not Dengie please)?

[153312]

Visit site
Just wanted to add my thoughts and question to this thread. I've just started a new bag of Healthy Herbal Chaff and was hoping that everyone would be wrong and that nothing had changed with the chaff. Unfortunately, the chaff does look very different to normal (I've been feeding it for years and never seen a batch like this) and importantly horse isn't really interested in eating it whereas he used to love his bucket feed.

So, I'm now looking for an alternative as I don't want to waste my supplements if he won't eat the chaff. What alternatives are there which don't contain alfalfa (not Dengie please)?
Emerald grass chop?
Simple systems Timothy chaff
I think there's a company called pure feeds/the pure feed company or something along those lines who do similar stuff too.