Hunt coming through yard

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Tiddly please see my reply below.

I'm not disputing people's experiences, however there appears to be an insinuation that ALL hunts behave in this manner. I quite agree with those that have tried to offer a balanced view, which is only natural when everyone seems to just want to condem us. I also find some of the assumptions made about people who hunt quite laughable, along with the general grumblings and whinges that personally are touching on pedantic ?
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned sabs trespassing or leaving gates open, blocking roads, crowding the pub etc. In my experience a bunch of loonies in balaclavas also has a tendency to wind horses up?
This is why I now try to avoid these threads as they always go the same way. The same individuals jump on their anti hunt soap boxes. Those who hunt legally try to offer some balance and are immediately shouted down.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I didn't choose to fox hunt before the ban but did go to Police it. Once it was changed to trail hunting I did go.... to find that the law was being made an ass, was being openly flouted.

I wasn't anti hunt before, despite not chasing to go (I went blood hounding instead), but I am now.

Before, I was told when the hunt would be in the area. Now they keep it a secret. They don't want anyone watching. The sabs are awful, but I have some sympathy with them as they can see the law being broken too.

The local hunt are responsible for a death of a pony and several injuries in the past few years, in our little village. They were, in all cases, on land they had no right to be on.

Of course I am anti that!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
You need to blame other hunts which are, or were until recently, still hunting fox for that. And lockdown podcasts giving advice how to do that. As long as there are hunts still hunting fox, sabs will quite understandably mistrust all trail hunts. I don't condone illegal behaviour by sabs, but drag packs have no history of being sabbed, other than one or two misguided incidents over decades.

Does your hunt invite monitors out with you? Perhaps if not you should get in touch with packs who do and see how they got rid of sabbing?

We have of course. We have invited them to watch the trail being laid and accompany our hounds. We don't have terriermen and haven't killed a fox for years. They are not interested.
I firmly believe sabs do not care about foxes whatsoever, but that is for another thread.
Again, I am only mentioning sabs because I feel if we want to discuss disruption caused by hunts to members of the public, then we also need to include the disruption caused by ALL hunt followers and that includes anti hunt to.

Reactions: L&M

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tiddly please see my reply below.
I did, and you weren't able to/chose not to point to any specific posts that you disbelieved.

In my area, the sabs backed off once the pack finally stopped hunting fox and switched to trail. The sabs still come out sometimes to keep everyone on their toes, and there is little love lost between the sides, but they are allowing legal trail hunting to continue without hindrance.

I do think think that legal and compliant trail packs suffer greatly because of the actions of all the packs who hunt illegally while pretending to hunt trail.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We have of course. We have invited them to watch the trail being laid and accompany our hounds. We don't have terriermen and haven't killed a fox for years. They are not interested.
I firmly believe sabs do not care about foxes whatsoever, but that is for another thread.
Again, I am only mentioning sabs because I feel if we want to discuss disruption caused by hunts to members of the public, then we also need to include the disruption caused by ALL hunt followers and that includes anti hunt to.

That's really bad, completely out of order, and the police should be onto that.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I did, and you weren't able to/chose not to point to any specific posts that you disbelieved.

In my area, the sabs backed off once the pack finally stopped hunting fox and switched to trail. The sabs still come out sometimes to keep everyone on their toes, and there is little love lost between the sides, but they are allowing legal trail hunting to continue without hindrance.

I chose not to point out specific posts because I do not wish to be drawn into yet another debate that just goes around and around again. I did however state what assumptions were untrue/unfair. Read the thread again and perhaps you may see where I am coming from (I realise this is asking a great deal with these types of discussions)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Thats you're opinion, which of course you are entitled to, as am I. I've not seen anyone who hunts dispute that some hunts are not behaving themselves. Only offer some balance to the views expressed on here, but as per usual my opinion on the matter must be "wrong" ...

Err..ok then ?‍♀

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. We've all had different experiences that can shape our opinions. Maybe you're wrong about some things, maybe not.

Fred66

Visit site
Fred, you wrote this. Can you see how arrogant this sounds to non hunters? What you have written is that you think it's perfectly OK for a group of car followers of your hunt to park illegally and block roads. Then if someone does want to get through, they have to be recalled to their cars and manoeuvre those cars out of the way.

This is where these threads break down. People call this unreasonable behaviour. Hunters then call writing that an insult.
I did not say it was ok for people to block the road
I did not say that cars were illegally parked, it’s perfectly legal to park on the side of the road (unless parking restrictions apply), as long as sufficient space is left for others to pass.
Regular followers will make every effort not to block roads, but you quite often get passerby who stop to watch and chat.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the thing about parking on the roads.. if you said people parked on the sides of the roads to the point where others couldn't get through, to have a picnic, or go for a walk, it sounds ridiculous. there's a view that because "sport" is going on, it's more important and therefore OK that non-participating members of the public get inconvenienced. that's what gets up my nose when it happens.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
the thing about parking on the roads.. if you said people parked on the sides of the roads to the point where others couldn't get through, to have a picnic, or go for a walk, it sounds ridiculous. there's a view that because "sport" is going on, it's more important and therefore OK that non-participating members of the public get inconvenienced. that's what gets up my nose when it happens.
And that happens with non horse activities.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Oh yeah, agreed, we also get lots of cycle races etc round here too which are hugely disruptive but I guess the difference is they are publicised here ahead of time incl the route so you know to either stay home or take a different route to avoid it.
We get no warning for most and the cars and their passengers are often rude and block roads. Also the soccer parents who drop off their children by double parking and getting gear out of the boot etc..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It may not have been about sabs but if we are discussing the disruption caused by hunts then it is relevant to also mention sabs, who also ime cause a great deal of disruption and upset.

Also the idea that sabs would not be there if hunts were hunting within the law, as someone who hunts with a legal, open, and honest trail pack, I can assure you this is definitely not the case. Ime sabs do not care I'm afraid.
I don't need assuring thanks, I've been out when sabs have been

Why come into a discussion to say people are lying and then not say which people or which statements?

Peglo

Visit site
This has been a very interesting thread to read having never hunted or even seen a hunt as live on a Scottish island. I like the idea of hunts and think they would be great fun but I’m fully against killing any animals for sport so was glad when laws made it illegal to kill the fox but that they carried on with the tradition with trails. Sad to here that people are still killing foxes though although not sure why I’m surprised.
On the other hand I never thought about the disruption to people in the area or that animals, wild and domesticated, are getting injured or killed. Sorry your post got derailed LG but it had been really good to hear both sides. It seems that those that hunt on the forum are all thoughtful and courteous and the behaviour described by some doesn’t apply. Unfortunately it’s the badly behaved ones that need to hear the stories (but likely would take no heed anyway.)
LG hope your horses are ok today and the hunt is a good one!
Every one hunting this season, hope you have a fun and safe hunting season.
Hope everyone else’s horses living near hunt routes are safe and happy

but then again, I don’t hunt so maybe I shouldn’t comment on this forum……… ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
And that happens with non horse activities.
Of course it does, and it is irritating and inconvenient when it happens, just like it is when it is the hunt travelling circus vehicles being irresponsibly and anti socially parked.

No one has said that it is only hunt traffic that causes occasional disruption?

palo1

Visit site
While we went off topic it definitely wasn't a post about sabs though, if it had been they might have come up.

I have hunted, and would again if I could afford it/have a mount. I don't feel shouted down just don't understand why people try and ignore other peoples less than great experiences.

As I stated before the biggest insinuation that all hunts behave in a particular way came from palo who is very clearly pro hunt too.

I don't think that is true @ester as I have repeatedly said that I am referencing my experience and I also agreed with you that I could only describe my experience which is probably far more current, albeit limited than some of the posters who are taking an opposing view. I haven't ignored anyone's less than great experiences and have quite happily agreed that some experiences are disgusting.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Edit - not much point is there.

Note to self stick to view that I continue to avoid all these types of threads in future

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Well that isn't how it came across to me, as stated in previous posts which I was referencing.

I accept that you didn't meant that when used most but I think ED's comments about people not seeing the other side go both ways and openly accusing people of lying with nothing to back that up is pretty poor.

I am confused...as far as I can see and know I have NOT accused anyone of lying - that isn't generally how I communicate on this forum (or in any other place). My experience is as valid and real as anyone else's and I haven't suggested anything other than that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You didn't, as I said in the post you quoted it was ED's comments. I did retype that to try and make it clear but obviously failed! Apologies.

and it remains a mystery which were apparently the 'bullpoo' comments.

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Ester just for the record I never accused anyone of lying, so please do not put words in my mouth. I invite you to please quote me otherwise?

I've already explained (several times) that I wasn't disputing people's experiences but there were certain points and assumptions made that I disagreed with and felt some things were unfair. I've stated what these are in my previous comments.

I've not quoted specific comments as I didn't wish to engage in yet another argument that just goes around in circles. Sadly it seems that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site

Yes BS being specifically.....

"there appears to be an insinuation that ALL hunts behave in this manner. I quite agree with those that have tried to offer a balanced view, which is only natural when everyone seems to just want to condem us. I also find some of the assumptions made about people who hunt quite laughable, along with the general grumblings and whinges that personally are touching on pedantic ?"

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site
There is nothing specific about you refusing to say which posters you are accusing of writing "complete and utter ??."

Read the thread again and I think it's pretty obvious which posts I'm referring to that are insinuating all hunts behave in the same manner and making incorrect assumptions about people who hunt ?‍♀️