Hunting is in a spot of bother

sakura

Visit site
Yes I am very aware of what else sabs have in their sights, as well as the concerns many people have about minority interest activists. Have you read the Hunting Act's legislator's views on the Act; what is your response to Daniel Greenbergs concerns about that? If you are not familiar with what he has said about it you can read it in it's entirety here:-

https://www.danielgreenberg.co.uk/legal-lectures/.

Particularly pertinent bits of his lecture include his statements (as the person who was required to draft this legislation amongst other really significant laws).

I was the drafter not only of the Hunting Act 2004 but of all the Government Bills that preceded it over a period of some years, and I well remember being struck by the fact that of all the legislation in which I had been involved since joining the Parliamentary Counsel Office, including Bills on matters medical, constitutional, social, fiscal and criminal, the first project in relation to which I felt seriously troubled from a moral perspective was over such an outwardly trivial matter in some respects as hunting. Let me be clear: the prohibition of hunting did not trouble me from a personal moral perspective: I do not hunt myself, and I would even go so far as to doubt whether I would personally be ethically justified in doing so, as I do not belong to a community in which it forms either a necessary part of pest control or a cherished cultural tradition. What troubled me was the fact that for the first time in my immediate professional experience the mechanism of the law was being deployed not to further some public policy objective – whether well-founded or not – but to inflict on the whole country the personal moral perspective of the 600 or so citizens who happened to find themselves in the House of Commons at the time....

From its earliest antecedents it was always clear that the Hunting Bill was not a measure aimed at advancing the public policy of animal welfare; at its best it was about morality (and of course to some it was not even that, but simply a piece of thinly disguised class warfare). The clearest proof that this was never a measure aimed at improving animal welfare is that nothing in the construction of the legislation tends towards its effective enforceability as a matter of animal welfare. Apart from the fact that the list of exemptions was deliberately, and on express instructions, framed in a way that would make circumvention obvious and easy, if one were devising an effective mechanism for advancing the welfare of the fox (and none of us will ever forget how the Burns Commission so convincingly justified the public money spent on it by its unutterably brilliant conclusion that on balance, and taking one thing with another, hunting seriously compromises the welfare of the fox being hunted) – if, as I say, one were devising a measure for safeguarding the welfare of the fox one would do it not through a few blunt criminal offences which are easy to circumvent and virtually impossible to prove (even if the Association of Chief Constables hadn’t written to the Government in advance to warn them that they had better things to do on a weekend morning than to hang around in bushes to see if people were following a fox or a drag).

If this had really been an animal welfare measure we would most likely have opted for a regulatory approach, possibly based around a licensing system: doubtless Of-fox would have been very popular, and the Chief Commissioner for Feral Foxes – or Foxcom – would have been a much sought-after sinecure. Joking aside, I suspect that most if not all organised hunts would actively have welcomed a properly founded licensing system as a way of showing their respect for the law, and for the welfare of all the animals and humans involved in the hunting tradition, which irrespective of whether the observer herself or himself chooses to hunt is clearly recognisable as being as respectable as any other community or cultural tradition, and a good deal more respectable than many.

Instead of an effective measure, therefore, the Act and the Bills for it were largely an exercise in what it has now become fashionable to describe as “virtue signalling” by persons who happened to draw their line in the sand of morality in one place in connection with animals, and many of whom would doubtless be incensed if a fortuitous majority of vegetarians in the House of Commons on another occasion sought to outlaw all those whose personal line in the sand stopped short of refraining from eating meat.

An exercise in intolerance, at a time when diversity and cultural sensitivity are meant to be more socially cherished and legally protected than at any other time in the history of the United Kingdom, indeed possibly in the history of the world. But diversity is a difficult ideal, that requires to be nurtured with great care.

I note in passing that it is interesting that it was on this moral or ethical issue of hunting that the House of Commons chose to dispense with the House of Lords and pass the Hunting Act 2004 under the Parliament Act 1911...

So how does this age of unparalleled wealth of equality law come to be known also as a social media age in which bullying, harassment and other forms and expressions of intolerance have flourished as never before? Of course, the availability and anonymity of technology has something to do with this, but I think there is a more fundamental and troubling connection...

As a lawyer, I have often been struck with how little politicians and policymakers recognise the fact that a new law dealing with a particular matter is a sign of failure and not a sign of success. Take the case of racial discrimination, one of the earliest forms of discrimination to be made unlawful, back in the 1960s. Nobody would argue that as a society we have succeeded in conquering or even taming racial discrimination; it is as powerful a poison today as it was in 1965 if not more so, despite the law having had more than half a century to counter it. And that of course is the whole point: law does not and cannot change attitudes, and if anything it entrenches unpleasant attitudes by setting their parameters in the stone of law which by aiming to coerce both creates the temptation, and sets the curriculum, for circumvention and avoidance. Attitudes and ethics can be changed by discussion and by informative education; but they cannot in general be changed by law; and having recourse to legal enforcement by way of declaring certain attitudes unlawful is in general no more than a recognition of failure to change those attitudes by other and more effective methods...

The law of hunting is in my opinion a significant example of an issue where an ephemeral majority in the House of Commons sought to enforce and perpetuate its own opinion on a moral issue without caring whether or not the balance struck by the legislation corresponded to the consensual morality of the country as a whole. It was an attempt by one side of a moral argument to coerce the other into submission. On that basis it was unlikely to be a success on any level, and it has not proved so. Sadly, it leaves unresolved some genuinely important practical issues of animal welfare, and it has widened the gulf between opposing views rather than creating a mechanism for them to explore and refine common ground.

On this forum, anti hunters have never once made a response to me asking about Daniel Greenberg's views. I would very much like to know how posters respond to this lecture - how they feel they stand in relation to his authority as a legislator and legal expert and why they think someone in his position would make such clear statements about this one piece of legislation.

I stopped reading when the writer started whinging about classism. I’m anti hunt cos I don’t want to see foxes chased and killed for sport, as is the majority of the population.

I’m getting bored of debating this now. Have fun, but remember, hunting is a dying pastime :)

palo1

Visit site
I stopped reading when the writer started whinging about classism. I’m anti hunt cos I don’t want to see foxes chased and killed for sport, as is the majority of the population.

I’m getting bored of debating this now. Have fun, but remember, hunting is a dying pastime :)

Is it not remotely relevant or important to you that the writer was the person charged with creating the Hunting Act? Do you know who Daniel Greenberg is and what other laws he has drawn up? If you cannot be interested and engaged with the facts then your opinion is worth nothing.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Is it not remotely relevant or important to you that the writer was the person charged with creating the Hunting Act? Do you know who Daniel Greenberg is and what other laws he has drawn up? If you cannot be interested and engaged with the facts then your opinion is worth nothing.

You can't just tell someone that their opinion is worth nothing, simply because you don't agree with them.

Clodagh

Visit site
Palo, I admire your dedication to all these threads, I really do. You win the longest post contest every time!
Some people though are against hunting, just because of what it is. You really have to accept that.

palo1

Visit site
You can't just tell someone that their opinion is worth nothing, simply because you don't agree with them.

I accept that it may sound insulting and I apologise for that. But when a discussion includes opinions that are not based on facts or take account of really significant information then they are 'just' opinions. I do not want to see laws and policies based on opinions which are not informed.

palo1

Visit site
Palo, I admire your dedication to all these threads, I really do. You win the longest post contest every time!
Some people though are against hunting, just because of what it is. You really have to accept that.

I totally understand and respect that; I have friends who are against any form of hunting but I like to challenge some of the opinions and attitudes expressed about a subject that is important to me. I know I will be very unlikely to change anyone's mind but I am still interested in why people hold those views in light of alternative information. I must say, I am not thrilled to get any accolade at all in relation to a hunting debate. Life is short and all...

Fred66

Visit site

You have every right to object to fox hunting and I don’t think anyone on here would disagree.

Please remember that fox hunting is now illegal, trail hunting is not. This is where a scent is laid for hounds to follow and where the riders follow on behind.

If we are talking about how the law changed in the first place then that is different, killing of foxes is not banned there are different methods still available to land owners to kill foxes. The only one banned was hunting the fox with a pack of hounds. Despite evidence showing that from an animal welfare pov this was no more cruel (and frequently less cruel) than other methods.

So why was it banned if not on animal welfare grounds, because a bunch of MPs decided that the people they believed it impacted needed taking down a peg or two.

If the Burns report that they commissioned had shown it to be more cruel I could have accepted the decision but as it stands it’s a bad law in every sense.

I am unsure on how you differentiate between killing a fox for sport, if the farmer shoots the fox is this not sport ? The majority of the field back in the day would not have witnessed the kill, many would be probably have been quite pleased to see the fox get away. The field by and large could be split into those who enjoyed the social aspect and getting to ride out in areas of the country normally not available and those who did actually enjoy watching the hounds work to pick up and follow a scent.

I watch the wildlife programmes on tv where lions give chase to their prey, I simultaneously want the prey to escape and the lion to make the kill, not because of blood lust but because that is the nature of things, without a kill then the lions will die, they show teamwork and skill. I appreciate that the hounds would not have been killing for food, however the admiration of watching them work using skills bred into them through hundreds of years is similar.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I accept that it may sound insulting and I apologise for that. But when a discussion includes opinions that are not based on facts or take account of really significant information then they are 'just' opinions. I do not want to see laws and policies based on opinions which are not informed.

Indiangel already said that she does not like the idea of foxes being chased to exhaustion and mauled by dogs. That is a perfectly valid reason for her to not like hunting.

GSD Woman

Visit site
If foxhunting is banned in Great Britain how much trouble would it be to go to Ireland or Northern Ireland to hunt foxes? Then all the trail hunts wouldn't have to worry and the people who insist on hunting foxes could do it elsewhere.

Clodagh

Visit site
I totally understand and respect that; I have friends who are against any form of hunting but I like to challenge some of the opinions and attitudes expressed about a subject that is important to me. I know I will be very unlikely to change anyone's mind but I am still interested in why people hold those views in light of alternative information. I must say, I am not thrilled to get any accolade at all in relation to a hunting debate. Life is short and all...
Because people are anti hunting because it involves animals being killed. I’m pretty pro on the whole but accept it doesn’t matter to most people if it’s a better way to die than some alternatives, it’s still directly killing. Nicely or not. I suspect that’s what most antis are against.

moosea

Visit site
What people generally saw was a grainy picture of a fox which had been flushed and shot and was being dismembered by hounds. It was already dead.

Was it dead like the racehorse was dead when the trainer sat on it?

I think the general public have been bombarded with so much anti-hunt rhetoric that it has become absorbed into the nations consciousness. Social media is awash with unsubstantiated, anecdotal 'evidence' of hunting's 'wrongdoings' and people are primed and ready to be fed a constant diet of anti-hunt propaganda.

Why are you ( pro hunt, not just you personally) unable to understand that the majority of people do not think it is ok to chase an animal then let dogs tear it to bits? Even if it is dead before this act can you not understand that allowing dogs to dismember an animal you have killed is in very bad taste to most people?

This would have put animal welfare and control at the forefront but for whatever reason animal welfare was not as important as one upping the landed gentry. So we have a law that suits noone.

Hunts have never been concerned with animal welfare. If they were they would not be encouraging foxes to an area - they did / do that so they have a good days 'sport.
I think most people would have been happy to see a complete ban.

No it means that "peaceful hunt monitors" is a misnomer. And that the hunt has got fed up of the tirade of screaming abuse etc that they're subjected to every time they go out. There are definitely antis who are not peaceful caring animal lovers. There are those who have spent time inside for violence of various kinds and who are paid to go out and intimidate hunts.

I wonder how many antis have been videoed ...I don't know, say... stabbing a fox to death with a garden fork??

I am unsure on how you differentiate between killing a fox for sport, if the farmer shoots the fox is this not sport ?

I differentiate it by the fact that there are not a group of people paying money to be involved / spectating the farmer shooting the fox.

I appreciate that the hounds would not have been killing for food, however the admiration of watching them work using skills bred into them through hundreds of years is similar.

But the hounds would still use those skills on a trail??

Hunting has tied it's own noose and put it around it's own neck and seems way to willing to jump off the chair.
I just wish they would hurry up and ban it all together.... if only to end this thread!

millikins

Visit site
I wonder how many antis have been videoed ...I don't know, say... stabbing a fox to death with a garden fork??

But Jolyon Maughan can beat one to death with a baseball bat and remain a darling of the Left.

littleshetland

Visit site
Animals get killed everyday, millions and millions of them at the hands of human beings. Sometimes it's necessary and sometimes its not, but what really galls is when there is so much obvious pleasure displayed at the hunting to death of an animal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

But Jolyon Maughan can beat one to death with a baseball bat and remain a darling of the Left.

Jolyon Maughan killed a fox caught in fencing in his garden with a single blow of a baseball bat which was deemed after investigation an appropriate, humane and legal response to the situation.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site

You assume, i think, when you made this comment, that people who are anti fox hunting are against killing foxes. I'm not remotely against killing foxes when they are causing issues and neither are a lot of people like me who are against hunting fox with hounds.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The hunt saboteurs who follow the hunts don’t give two hoots about either the law or animal welfare as is frequently shown by their actions.
As I have previously posted many times, I do not approve of the way that sabs as opposed to monitors operate (and the two are very different).

However, you can't dismiss all sabs as being indifferent to animal welfare, it's just not true.

I was left in the weird situation here a season or so ago when the hunt had moved off leaving some lost hounds milling around on and near the road. The car hunt followers had also moved off abandoning the hounds. The only people left looking out for the hounds were me and a sab, who were both worried that they were going to get run over. He was keen to drive off and follow the hunt, but he wouldn't go til he was sure that the hounds were safe. I ended up reassuring him that I'd make sure that they were safe so that he could leave. So I ended up (again) flagging down traffic until the hounds moved off.

That was also one of the days when although the sabs were present (he was a sab, as I asked him which group he was from) they were just monitoring the hunt, which was indeed trail hunting.

millikins

Visit site
Jolyon Maughan killed a fox caught in fencing in his garden with a single blow of a baseball bat which was deemed after investigation an appropriate, humane and legal response to the situation.

From the BBC and Guardian, most other sources are behind a paywall, they say the fox was killed "swiftly", no mention of a single blow. And in a similar mood of cynicism as your response to Mr Hankinson's reasoning for his webinar advice, why would a man who clearly didn't think his actions would raise the furore it did, or he wouldn't have posted on Twitter, then keep the body of the fox so it was available for an autopsy? All in the middle of the Christmas holidays.

ycbm

Visit site
I apologise. "Swiftly" to me, with the absence of a prosecuion after an investigation, and the knowledge of what a baseball bat wielded at close range by a big man will do, meant that the fox was either killed with the first blow or rendered unconscious by the first blow. I completely accept it may not have been killed with one blow and I'm glad you don't dispute that it was killed humanely. And therefore has no bearing whatsoever on fox hunting with hounds.

He's a lawyer. Once a Twitter storm was raised he knew the only thing that made sense was to keep the fox carcass to prove he killed it humanely. Presumably he didn't want to leave it decomposing until Christmas was over. Why on earth would you question him doing that?

millikins

Visit site
You assume, i think, when you made this comment, that people who are anti fox hunting are against killing foxes. I'm not remotely against killing foxes when they are causing issues and neither are a lot of people like me who are against hunting fox with hounds.
No I don't assume that at all. But many of those opposed to hunting foxes with hounds show little appreciation of the alternatives. I am obviously pro hunt on the whole but I accept the most humane way to kill a fox is a marksman with a rifle, however this option is expensive and not readily available, most gun licenses are for shotguns which often wound or maim. And as others have said at least hunting gives foxes a closed season unlike the free for all they are now subject to.

millikins

Visit site
I apologise. "Swiftly" to me, with the absence of a prosecuion after an investigation, and the knowledge of what a baseball bat wielded at close range by a big man will do, meant that the fox was either killed with the first blow or rendered unconscious by the first blow. I completely accept it may not have been killed with one blow and I'm glad you don't dispute that it was killed humanely. And therefore has no bearing whatsoever on fox hunting with hounds.
Well except that a fox caught in chicken netting which was likely electrified then clubbed with a baseball bat probably suffered as much or as little as one chased by hounds then killed with a bite to the neck.

ycbm

Visit site
Well except that a fox caught in chicken netting which was likely electrified then clubbed with a baseball bat probably suffered as much or as little as one chased by hounds then killed with a bite to the neck.

He didn't have a bunch of people having a party in his garden to watch and paying him for the privilege, or set out deliberately to chase a fox with a pack of hounds and it, though, did he? The comparison, as a defence of hunting, is ridiculous.

ycbm

Visit site
{shooting with a rifle} is not readily available,

it's readily available in the countryside I have just moved from.

And as others have said at least hunting gives foxes a closed season unlike the free for all they are now subject to.

No it doesn't. Problem foxes are shot in summer when there's no hunting and always have been.

teacups

Visit site
This article is also quite appropriate
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tim-bonner/hunting-act_b_6704010.html

The hunt saboteurs who follow the hunts don’t give two hoots about either the law or animal welfare as is frequently shown by their actions. They hide behind this to intimidate (where else would masked individuals flagrantly harassing others be allowed to get away with the actions they take)

Trespass might be a civil matter until you are asked to leave at which point a refusal (along with continued harassment by those seeking to hide their identity to avoid prosecution) becomes a criminal matter.

Breaking the law deliberately (even if you believe that doing so might prevent another crime occurring) is a form of vigilantism and needs to be stopped. Follow from public rights of way, collate evidence and phone the police if you believe a crime is occurring.

That would apply to the hunt, too, then?

You mean I should forward any first hand evidence I might have of the hunt trespassing on my land, which they full well knew they had no permission to be on, and chasing a fox with hounds, to the police?

They also knew there were pregnant ewes on the land, and a horse. It was easy to avoid the land. They could not care less about animal welfare that day.

Appalling attitude, and I’m not surprised to hear that many farmers and landowners are getting fed up.

Fred66

Visit site
That would apply to the hunt, too, then?

You mean I should forward any first hand evidence I might have of the hunt trespassing on my land, which they full well knew they had no permission to be on, and chasing a fox with hounds, to the police?

They also knew there were pregnant ewes on the land, and a horse. It was easy to avoid the land. They could not care less about animal welfare that day.

Appalling attitude, and I’m not surprised to hear that many farmers and landowners are getting fed up.
If you ask them to leave and they refuse, then yes report them

spacefaer

Visit site
In terms of fox welfare, the number of foxes in our area is in serious decline. They are lamped and shot all year round, including pregnant vixens.

On the hillside behind our house, there are always been a litter or two every spring in living memory (and some of the local farmers are very old, with very long memories!)
Last spring, we found a pile of 7 dead adult foxes pushed under some brambles. With night vision goggles, night scopes and high powered rifles, badgers and foxes don't stand a chance.
Not sure the ban has helped the species much.

meleeka

Visit site
Last spring, we found a pile of 7 dead adult foxes pushed under some brambles. With night vision goggles, night scopes and high powered rifles, badgers and foxes don't stand a chance.
Not sure the ban has helped the species much.
How do you think fox hunting would have prevented this?

Last edited: