Hunting is in a spot of bother

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That is awful. :( I cannot imagine a huntsman worth the name allowing hounds anywhere near a railway line. The number of hounds suggested in the pack is huge which is very odd too. How awfully sad and utterly unnecessary.

Palo this is a problem in a lot of the discussions which I have with you about hunting. What you experience when you hunt bears no relation to hunting in Cheshire, where hounds are frequently near Intercity Railway lines, Airport Runways and very fast roads including motorways. Those hunts are also very popular and have large fields, something else I don't think you experience?

sakura

Visit site
The number of hounds suggested in the pack is huge which is very odd too.

Not to be too graphic, but the remains of the dogs hit by a train would make verifying the number quite difficult until facts are established. So I don’t think it’s odd.

Very, very sad but I’m also not surprised. Poor dogs, poor driver and poor passengers.

Burnttoast

Visit site
That is awful. :( I cannot imagine a huntsman worth the name allowing hounds anywhere near a railway line. The number of hounds suggested in the pack is huge which is very odd too. How awfully sad and utterly unnecessary.
The main London line runs right through the middle of their country and the kennels are pretty close to it. Though you would think all the more reason to take care...

Sandstone1

Visit site
It’s not taken long for the pro hunt to blame it on the antis.
The whole thing disgusts me. Hunting foxes with hounds is illegal. Has been for years and yet still this farce is allowed to go on with animals and people being killed or injured. When are people going to get that this has to stop. Its not pest control, its people wanting to have their jollies. Its about time that the people that do it are honest with themselves. Its cruel and barbaric. This is 2022 not 1922. Times change. Its not a nice ride across country, its not pest control its a barbaric and out dated ritual that needs to be consigned to history like bear baiting, badger baiting, cock fighting and all the other disgusting activities.
Come on, be honest with yourselves. The world has changed the countryside has changed, There is no place for this barbaric pass time. You can blame sabs for this and that until the cows come home. If you want to trail hunt thats all well and good but if you do its about time you stood up against all the hunts that are breaking the law because other wise ALL hunting will go and you only have yourselves to blame.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Poor dogs, they have such miserably short lives under normal circumstances anyway

Short maybe, but miserable I can't agree with. They have, in packs I've seen, lived in same sex groups in big airy kennels, behaving like the dogs they are. They have free roaming exercise in the pack, not on a lead, and they absolutely adore chasing a scent.

Yes they are shot when no longer useful. There is no cruelty in a quick death without a lingering old age.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Dunston Harriers kennels are situated in the village of Wacton, which is sandwiched between a railway line and an A road. So 100% control of these hounds at all times when on exercise is a must.

5B60FFC4-64D5-4341-8090-420A8CE7C1D5.jpeg
If I let my off leads dogs with suspect recall loose in such an area and they took off and got run over, I'd rightly be vilified for being a rubbish dog owner. Accident, my @rse. Negligence, more like.

Poor hounds. A couple of the more sensible remarks on the above mentioned pro hunt FB page.

A6400C9E-7B7A-4CFC-99CF-00E4BA0CFDC8.jpeg
42AE212A-D4C3-4D16-A68D-2BC065376B39.jpeg

CrunchieBoi

Visit site
Short maybe, but miserable I can't agree with. They have, in packs I've seen, lived in same sex groups in big airy kennels, behaving like the dogs they are. They have free roaming exercise in the pack, not on a lead, and they absolutely adore chasing a scent.

Yes they are shot when no longer useful. There is no cruelty in a quick death without a lingering old age.

I was referring to their expected lifespan rather than quality of life. A bullet in the head before you've even reached half your expected lifespan is a miserable fate to my mind.[/QUOTE]

Koweyka

Visit site
I’ve read the most relevant comments, so not all, and no blame of sabs in this instance. They do blow hounds onto roads out hunting , which was said. Sabs were accused of misrepresentation, which was true.

I have the screenshots of them, I also have many a videos of a huntsman stood on an A road blowing his horn calling hounds in front of cars causing chaos, cars slamming brakes on and swerving. There are many incidents of hounds being killed on roads when Sabs aren’t even there and I have seen a report of a harrier hound near this incident still loose and lost today on an A road.

CrunchieBoi

Visit site
The Dunston Harriers kennels are situated in the village of Wacton, which is sandwiched between a railway line and an A road. So 100% control of these hounds at all times when on exercise is a must.

View attachment 101645
If I let my off leads dogs with suspect recall loose in such an area and they took off and got run over, I'd rightly be vilified for being a rubbish dog owner. Accident, my @rse. Negligence, more like.

Poor hounds. A couple of the more sensible remarks on the above mentioned pro hunt FB page.

View attachment 101646
View attachment 101647

Considering the huntsman responsible for the pack that mauled the wee cat was prosecuted under the dangerous dog act for allowing dogs to be dangerously out of control on public/private land, surely the same applies in this case?

palo1

Visit site
Taken from fb - from a pub toward a group of saboteurs. (not in reply to posts immediately above but in relation to the wider discussion).

I’m from The Bear Inn, it seems you’ve blocked our business page from being able to comment!
Last year when we took over the bear, the previous owner had already agreed for the trail hound group to park in the car park, we didn’t know what was happening nor what to expect - we explained this at the time but that didn’t seem to matter! The events that followed shocked me…
We found we have 2 very different groups of people;
1. The followers of the trail hounds who supported us by coming in for food and/or drinks, recommending us etc
2. Saboteurs who without ever stepping foot in the pub left bad reviews, booking then cancelling tables etc- having looked at their profiles most lived outside our area and as far as we could tell none were customers.
So when it came to the discussion on what to do this year, we considered the actions of both groups of people and decided that actually we should support our supporters not our haters. But I wanted to check we were doing the right thing so I also sat down with one of the members of the trail group and asked many relevant questions- at the end I was confident that nothing illegal takes place, I also spoke to as many of our regulars as I could - all of whom say “yes have them back”. So clearly no one in this group is a regular customer.
So, I extend my offer - if your group would like to come and have a meal with us, I will happily sit and listen to your views and consider any evidence you have of wrongdoing, if you also support our business by not leaving fake negative reviews, but instead by sharing our business information in a positive way then things could be different next year. However, if (as I suspect) you don’t take me up on this offer, then next year I’m sure our decision making process will be similar.
We are a business, it’s not for us to get involved with politics, but we will always be open minded and listen to all reasonable opinions. we will always do what we feel is right for our business and will always support the people who support us.

Millionwords

Visit site
Taken from fb - from a pub toward a group of saboteurs. (not in reply to posts immediately above but in relation to the wider discussion).

I’m from The Bear Inn, it seems you’ve blocked our business page from being able to comment!
Last year when we took over the bear, the previous owner had already agreed for the trail hound group to park in the car park, we didn’t know what was happening nor what to expect - we explained this at the time but that didn’t seem to matter! The events that followed shocked me…
We found we have 2 very different groups of people;
1. The followers of the trail hounds who supported us by coming in for food and/or drinks, recommending us etc
2. Saboteurs who without ever stepping foot in the pub left bad reviews, booking then cancelling tables etc- having looked at their profiles most lived outside our area and as far as we could tell none were customers.
So when it came to the discussion on what to do this year, we considered the actions of both groups of people and decided that actually we should support our supporters not our haters. But I wanted to check we were doing the right thing so I also sat down with one of the members of the trail group and asked many relevant questions- at the end I was confident that nothing illegal takes place, I also spoke to as many of our regulars as I could - all of whom say “yes have them back”. So clearly no one in this group is a regular customer.
So, I extend my offer - if your group would like to come and have a meal with us, I will happily sit and listen to your views and consider any evidence you have of wrongdoing, if you also support our business by not leaving fake negative reviews, but instead by sharing our business information in a positive way then things could be different next year. However, if (as I suspect) you don’t take me up on this offer, then next year I’m sure our decision making process will be similar.
We are a business, it’s not for us to get involved with politics, but we will always be open minded and listen to all reasonable opinions. we will always do what we feel is right for our business and will always support the people who support us.

I may be giving myself away here. But I asked that manager specifically whether they would be hosting the hunt with their new management, not aggressively, not accusatory, but because I was hopeful to return there as its a nice pub. They can do as they please, however I like to decide where I spend my money based upon that. They told me they would not host meets, so I returned to the pub spending money there regularly over summer, yet have continued to do so.
Lying to customers in order to make money (both the hunts and mine/other patrons) is a crap thing to do as a business.
Do what you like, but be transparent when asked.

Millionwords

Visit site
I can't access the edit function so just to clarify that I meant to type giving away my location, however the site seems to go through phases of being really difficult to type into on a mobile...(as is now and it keeps overwriting the text...5his took forever)

Clodagh

Visit site
I can't access the edit function so just to clarify that I meant to type giving away my location, however the site seems to go through phases of being really difficult to type into on a mobile...(as is now and it keeps overwriting the text...5his took forever)
I really doubt any pro hunters will seek you out to proffer death threats. DW!
You are of course entitled to choose where you spend your money and the pub should not lie.
Nor should they be bullied and people try to destroy their business because they don’t like a once or twice a year event that takes place there.

palo1

Visit site

I understand your feelings about making your location known - it is sad that both pro and anti hunters feel this way. The vast majority of folk on either side of the debate have no interest in causing any individuals harm or offence thankfully. I don't think you have posted anything that would cause you any risk; I certainly think pro hunting people on here would understand your caution and will not make you feel vulnerable. I hope so in any case.

sunleychops

Visit site
Shooting also generally involves the release of staggering numbers of non-native birds into the countryside at the expense of native wildlife in the case of pheasant shooting.

Most of the birds don't actually make it into the human foodchain with many of them dying on roads where I am. Destructive and wasteful.

Dont get me started on the driven grouse shoots. Plenty of them where I am, and nothing good to say about them.

Without grouse moor shooting, there would be no moorland and they would rapidly become omnispecies, desolate wastelands