Hunting is in a spot of bother

luluphoto63

Visit site
The illegal cruel hunting and killing of Foxes and other animals by hunts is ongoing. If you are Anti hunting, why are you defending hunts?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
The illegal cruel hunting and killing of Foxes and other animals by hunts is ongoing. If you are Anti hunting, why are you defending hunts?
I'm not defending them but I want them to be monitored correctly and within the law. You lose the support if you break the law as much as they do.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Just to be clear I don't think anyone on this thread has defended illegal hunting. I certainly am not in favour of illegal hunting and as I've previously said, I am very divided on the subject of fox hunting. Do I agree with it? I'd go as far as to say no, I certainly wouldn't attend my hunt if I thought they were actually hunting foxes. That being said, I have seen the damage foxes can do, regardless of how "careful" farmers are. Foxes have no natural predators and numbers can and do escalate beyond what a single area can sustain. I can understand why numbers need to be controlled and why farmers feel the need to protect their livestock. What exactly is the best means of controlling numbers I'm not so sure.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Also speaking from our hunts perspective, we take no issue with hunt monitors, the ones who actually JUST monitor hunts. We have nothing to hide and would not care at all if monitors observed peacefully. What we take issue with, is the local sabs interfering, trespassing, and going out of their way to intimidate and upset riders and horses alike.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Also speaking from our hunts perspective, we take no issue with hunt monitors, the ones who actually JUST monitor hunts. We have nothing to hide and would not care at all if monitors observed peacefully. What we take issue with, is the local sabs interfering, trespassing, and going out of their way to intimate and upset riders and horses alike.

Well said. The last time I experienced sabs was beyond belief. They targeted the children’s meet and threw bags of ball bearings under the horses feet at the meet. I had a two children on lead rein, one each side of my totally bombproof hunter who thankfully coped and was able to take us safely out of the carnage.

That incident took place in front of hundreds of people watching the meet in a high profile Warwickshire town. Sabs are nothing more than rent a mob and were very quickly dealt with by the police.

Clodagh

Visit site

This isn’t actually the post I want to reply to but to save me looking for the right one..
I am interested as to why you don’t support LACS? Surely they have the funding and political knowledge that all anti hunt people people should encourage?

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t suppose many people on here read Shooting Times but there is a very interesting article in this weeks about the Easton Harriers disbandment and the setting up of a new Hunt to hunt the clean boot.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
To somewhat counterbalance the opinion that all Hunt sabs are violent thugs, that is not so in my very limited experience. I have witnessed sabs in action.

Displaying a hostile stance and verbal aggression to the hunt and hunt support, yes. But no fisticuffs and no deliberate hands on harming of horses or hounds.

I do not condone their active disruption of a day’s hunting by use of horn calls and gizmos which lead to hounds straying and getting onto roads or other places where they should not be. This can lead to hounds being hurt or killed by traffic. Apart from anything, this disruption gives the Hunt a cop out if a fox gets killed, as the sabs can be blamed for interfering with the huntsman’s control of hounds.

Local sabs are still out, but are now just observing (so effectively ‘monitoring’) the hunt. I imagine they would ramp up their response right back up if they saw illegal activity. So they have adjusted their behaviour after the Hunt adjusted theirs.

luluphoto63

Visit site
Also speaking from our hunts perspective, we take no issue with hunt monitors, the ones who actually JUST monitor hunts. We have nothing to hide and would not care at all if monitors observed peacefully. What we take issue with, is the local sabs interfering, trespassing, and going out of their way to intimidate and upset riders and horses alike.
I take issue with hunt killing, trespass, intimidation towards landowners, Badger Sett blocking, steward thuggery, etc. Hunt sabs do an amazing job of saving wildlife in the face of real violence.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I take issue with hunt killing, trespass, intimidation towards landowners, Badger Sett blocking, steward thuggery, etc. Hunt sabs do an amazing job of saving wildlife in the face of real violence.
You are just randomly replying to posts with your own agenda without reading the post you are replying to.

This has been an interesting and informative thread, but you are not making a positive contribution to it.

luluphoto63

Visit site
To somewhat counterbalance the opinion that all Hunt sabs are violent thugs, that is not so in my very limited experience. I have witnessed sabs in action.

Displaying a hostile stance and verbal aggression to the hunt and hunt support, yes. But no fisticuffs and no deliberate hands on harming of horses or hounds.

I do not condone their active disruption of a day’s hunting by use of horn calls and gizmos which lead to hounds straying and getting onto roads or other places where they should not be. This can lead to hounds being hurt or killed by traffic. Apart from anything, this disruption gives the Hunt a cop out if a fox gets killed, as the sabs can be blamed for interfering with the huntsman’s control of hounds.

Local sabs are still out, but are now just observing (so effectively ‘monitoring’) the hunt. I imagine they would ramp up their response right back up if they saw illegal activity. So they have adjusted their behaviour after the Hunt adjusted theirs.
Hunts are out today, no "trail laying" has been observed. Hunts taking their dogs on the highways and on railway tracks is hugely irresponsible and a very real danger.

Equine_Dream

Visit site

Which I've stated clearly OUR hunt doesn't do. OUR hunt, as I can not speak for all hunts, would have no issue with monitors attending the day as we've nothing to hide. True monitors ime do really care about animal welfare. What a shame the majority of sabs let them down with their behaviour.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Interesting post today on the This is Hunting UK FB page. TIHUK is one of the more measured mainstream pro hunt FB pages.

It seems like they are getting very frustrated at the lack of leadership and guidance from those at the top at this time of crisis for hunting.

Indeed.

A Clear and Simple Message from Hunting's Grass Roots.

"Whatever has happened or is happening in the Hunting World, the time has well and truly come, either through Social Media or in any other way you wish, to reverse the rot, drivel and the bile that is being spouted forth about us.

If we are going to achieve any of this, we need a lead now more than ever! We cannot and should not be expected to just sit back and let those in charge argue amongst themselves about who did what, where and when. Carry on if you wish and that's us finished. The lunatics and we all know who they are, will then well and truly have the keys to the asylum!

paddy555

Visit site
any shooting people? is it permitted, accepted, OK or not for shot (pheasants/ducks) to land on neigbouring barns, houses, stables, people? is it something people have to accept and am I being unreasonable objecting?
shooting today, left 2 horses in as I thought they were safer, shot rained down onto the tin roof and horses went frantic. This has happened before. Got one horse out who was panicking and then shot rained down on both me and the horse as I was leading him out.

Stables are not in the middle of nowhere, they are 10 ft from my back door so shot would also have come on the house roof. Haven't said anything till now but spoke to the shoot today. Not sure if this will happen again. Is it normal for it to happen? AIBU? The horse (a rescue pony with problems) that I left inside had been under the loft floor (ie not under the tin part) but he was still terrified when he heard the shot on the tin. 4 hours later he was still heavy breathing, scared and wouldn't eat. Fortunately he was not a nervous horse or he could have had colic. :) any comments even if you think I am being silly.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
any shooting people? is it permitted, accepted, OK or not for shot (pheasants/ducks) to land on neigbouring barns, houses, stables, people? is it something people have to accept and am I being unreasonable objecting?
shooting today, left 2 horses in as I thought they were safer, shot rained down onto the tin roof and horses went frantic. This has happened before. Got one horse out who was panicking and then shot rained down on both me and the horse as I was leading him out.

Stables are not in the middle of nowhere, they are 10 ft from my back door so shot would also have come on the house roof. Haven't said anything till now but spoke to the shoot today. Not sure if this will happen again. Is it normal for it to happen? AIBU? The horse (a rescue pony with problems) that I left inside had been under the loft floor (ie not under the tin part) but he was still terrified when he heard the shot on the tin. 4 hours later he was still heavy breathing, scared and wouldn't eat. Fortunately he was not a nervous horse or he could have had colic. :) any comments even if you think I am being silly.

Definitely not being unreasonable, there are strict guidelines they should be following regarding highways and residential areas. What was their response?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

Definitely not unreasonable! How awful for you and the horses! I had a shoot next to mine today and they terrified my new horse, didn't even know they were coming (my older ones are used to it now).

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Paddy555, that is terrible, and completely unacceptable :mad:.

A bit of info on here.

https://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/a...law-on-shooting-shotguns-near-roads-1-6777966

Shooting a shotgun within 50 feet of a highway is not prohibited in England and Wales, but an offence is committed if, as the result of firing a shotgun, someone is injured or placed in danger. This could easily be the result of a shot charge over the head of a walker or cyclist, pellets dropping on a vehicle or striking it, a horse and rider alarmed by the sound of a shot or, in the worst scenario, a passer-by hit by pellets.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Definitely not being unreasonable, there are strict guidelines they should be following regarding highways and residential areas. What was their response?

one told me it couldn't have come that far but it did. Not sure if he believed me but he said he would ask them to shoot differently. The other told me they were not shooting at me and I was in no danger. If I thought I was he would have been in police custody by now :D:D that the shot was like hail coming down.
They are my neighbours so it is difficult in a country area where we all have to get on. Have to see what happens. I have to put up with the shooting which is basically in the next field separated by a single track road and it upsets the horses in the fields but they cope after charging around. It is the rescue pony I am worried about. This has been going on for 3 years and he is still no better. He is 14 (3 when he came) and I am beginning to think his terror is another thing that happened to him as a youngster. He is no better out than in.
The problem is that these are not hundreds of acres of grouse moors miles from anywhere, they are small farms in an inhabited valley with too many shooters for the size of the area.

paddy555

Visit site
Paddy555, that is terrible, and completely unacceptable :mad:.

A bit of info on here.

https://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/a...law-on-shooting-shotguns-near-roads-1-6777966

Shooting a shotgun within 50 feet of a highway is not prohibited in England and Wales, but an offence is committed if, as the result of firing a shotgun, someone is injured or placed in danger. This could easily be the result of a shot charge over the head of a walker or cyclist, pellets dropping on a vehicle or striking it, a horse and rider alarmed by the sound of a shot or, in the worst scenario, a passer-by hit by pellets.

we did have that but could do very little. You, from your hunting, have a good idea of the sort of area I live in. Last year OH took his horse out with strict instructions to get home by 10 when they started shooting. They started early. I knew he would be in trouble so went out to find him, He was less than 1/4 mile from home. They were all in a line shooting in the field next to the road but not over the road. He was stuck. I asked one of them to try and stop everyone shooting for 5 minutes to get the horse (who by now was frantic) home. I even asked him what we should do. He said he didn't know. They stopped for about 2 minutes, horse got to the bottom of the road, WW3 started again and horse charged off up the road. Fortunately OH is the sort who can ride anything and they did get home.
I hate to say it TP but they make the hunt look like saints!!! :D