Hunting is in a spot of bother

Wishfilly

Visit site
any shooting people? is it permitted, accepted, OK or not for shot (pheasants/ducks) to land on neigbouring barns, houses, stables, people? is it something people have to accept and am I being unreasonable objecting?
shooting today, left 2 horses in as I thought they were safer, shot rained down onto the tin roof and horses went frantic. This has happened before. Got one horse out who was panicking and then shot rained down on both me and the horse as I was leading him out.

Stables are not in the middle of nowhere, they are 10 ft from my back door so shot would also have come on the house roof. Haven't said anything till now but spoke to the shoot today. Not sure if this will happen again. Is it normal for it to happen? AIBU? The horse (a rescue pony with problems) that I left inside had been under the loft floor (ie not under the tin part) but he was still terrified when he heard the shot on the tin. 4 hours later he was still heavy breathing, scared and wouldn't eat. Fortunately he was not a nervous horse or he could have had colic. :) any comments even if you think I am being silly.

I am not a shooting person, but that sounds incredibly dangerous! I am possibly making this up, but I thought shot was supposed to be contained on the shoot's own land, i.e. not raining down on you and the horse!

I don't know if I am misunderstanding, but it honestly sounds like a stray shot could hit you or the horses?

paddy555

Visit site
I am not a shooting person, but that sounds incredibly dangerous! I am possibly making this up, but I thought shot was supposed to be contained on the shoot's own land, i.e. not raining down on you and the horse!

I don't know if I am misunderstanding, but it honestly sounds like a stray shot could hit you or the horses?
no the stray shot hit me, my horse, my stable roofs and I would imagine my house roof as we were next to it. I'm not sure if it should be contained on the shoot's own land. I can't find out much about it on google or at least nothing that black and white.

Wishfilly

Visit site
no the stray shot hit me, my horse, my stable roofs and I would imagine my house roof as we were next to it. I'm not sure if it should be contained on the shoot's own land. I can't find out much about it on google or at least nothing that black and white.

I believe, and I'm not an expert, there is something called "airspace trespass", which means someone is not allowed to use the airspace above your land in a way that interferes with your reasonable enjoyment of the land- this would include shooting across your land.

It may be worth talking to a solicitor about your rights?

SEL

Visit site

Until you said it hit you I would say it was a civil matter but actually you could involve the police.

scats

Visit site
any shooting people? is it permitted, accepted, OK or not for shot (pheasants/ducks) to land on neigbouring barns, houses, stables, people? is it something people have to accept and am I being unreasonable objecting?
shooting today, left 2 horses in as I thought they were safer, shot rained down onto the tin roof and horses went frantic. This has happened before. Got one horse out who was panicking and then shot rained down on both me and the horse as I was leading him out.

Stables are not in the middle of nowhere, they are 10 ft from my back door so shot would also have come on the house roof. Haven't said anything till now but spoke to the shoot today. Not sure if this will happen again. Is it normal for it to happen? AIBU? The horse (a rescue pony with problems) that I left inside had been under the loft floor (ie not under the tin part) but he was still terrified when he heard the shot on the tin. 4 hours later he was still heavy breathing, scared and wouldn't eat. Fortunately he was not a nervous horse or he could have had colic. :) any comments even if you think I am being silly.

The same happened to me a couple of years ago. It rained down on the barn roof and my horses went crazy. The noise it made was unbelievable. If I’d have been in the stable with one of them I’d have been in serious danger. Ten minutes before, the farrier had been, who does the horses just outside the barn.
We are on private land and it turned out to be someone who had permission to shoot years ago who had decided to bring his grandson for a shooting lesson. He got a major telling off and we never saw him again.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Real numpty question: why is fox hunting more fun than trail hunting, from a riding point of view? Doesn't it tend to lead to more hanging around, and more trying to cross impassable country, and generally more frustration?
Quite loose the fox , stand around, then maybe see a poor defenceless fox ripped to sheds, not to mention they jump anything in their way, ditches with dangerous things in, in fact anything in their way making a poor horse risk his life. Where as fox and mock hunting much safer and kinder

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The stray shot, apart from being terrifying for both you and the animals, could cause a serious eye injury if there was a direct hit. I speak as an eye surgeon’s daughter - he had to deal with the aftermath of such incidents, which were messy.

I too would involve the police. They will ‘have a word’ with the organisers of the shoot and put the frighteners on them, so that it doesn’t happen again. The shoot should never have allowed this to happen, it is bordering on criminal negligence.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
The same happened to me a couple of years ago. It rained down on the barn roof and my horses went crazy. The noise it made was unbelievable. If I’d have been in the stable with one of them I’d have been in serious danger. Ten minutes before, the farrier had been, who does the horses just outside the barn.
We are on private land and it turned out to be someone who had permission to shoot years ago who had decided to bring his grandson for a shooting lesson. He got a major telling off and we never saw him again.

I left a yard where that kept happening. It used to make a heck of a noise and really rattled the horses

paddy555

Visit site
The stray shot, apart from being terrifying for both you and the animals, could cause a serious eye injury if there was a direct hit. I speak as an eye surgeon’s daughter - he had to deal with the aftermath of such incidents, which were messy.

I too would involve the police. They will ‘have a word’ with the organisers of the shoot and put the frighteners on them, so that it doesn’t happen again. The shoot should never have allowed this to happen, it is bordering on criminal negligence.

you're right. I hadn't thought of the shot hitting the horse in the face, or me. thanks

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
you're right. I hadn't thought of the shot hitting the horse in the face, or me. thanks

I'm confused now. Originally you said the shot fell on you, which would make sense if the guns were shooting at birds overhead, and that might be frightening for the horses but won't take your eye out. Now you're saying you were actually hit by the pellets? So the guns were aimed at low level? I'd be surprised at that tbh, unless they were after rabbits, but if so then you should obviously involve the police.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Is was under the impression that any shot travelling over a boundary onto other land becomes armed trespass?
OH was pretty high up in the air rifle community (I know, somewhat different to shotguns!) a few years ago and his default stance is that any pellet crossing a land boundary is huge police trouble.
Edit: ignore this - law was changed so this is the case for air rifles but not shotguns.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm confused now. Originally you said the shot fell on you, which would make sense if the guns were shooting at birds overhead, and that might be frightening for the horses but won't take your eye out. Now you're saying you were actually hit by the pellets? So the guns were aimed at low level? I'd be surprised at that tbh, unless they were after rabbits, but if so then you should obviously involve the police.

yes the shot fell on both me and the horse. It is when they shoot (at an angle) at the bird the shot then comes down as a hail storm (so to speak) hitting whatever gets in it's path. That was us. They were simply shooting too close and we and our buildings etc were in the area the shot came down into. They were not shooting directly AT me, I got covered by what came down.
I hadn't thought of eye injuries and if I had been looking upward that was a possibility. It did land on the horse's rug with a lot of force so human eyes would have little hope.
We will see what happens next Saturday and if they adjust their shooting.

DirectorFury

Visit site
yes the shot fell on both me and the horse. It is when they shoot (at an angle) at the bird the shot then comes down as a hail storm (so to speak) hitting whatever gets in it's path. That was us. They were simply shooting too close and we and our buildings etc were in the area the shot came down into. They were not shooting directly AT me, I got covered by what came down.
I hadn't thought of eye injuries and if I had been looking upward that was a possibility. It did land on the horse's rug with a lot of force so human eyes would have little hope.
We will see what happens next Saturday and if they adjust their shooting.
http://www.nwhsa.org.uk/Troubled by the shoot.pdf
Hopefully you have no other problems, but if you do that leaflet might be helpful.

Sandstone1

Visit site
When are they ever going to get stopped? It cant go on. Rural tradition? illegal and clearly filmed on camera! what more do you need to prove illegal hunting!
Waiting for the pro hunters to defend this? The huntsmen didnt even try to call the hounds off.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Kimblewick Hunt again, the pack of choice of the Head of Hunting for the Countryside Alliance :rolleyes:.

All caught caught on fixed cctv with audio, no antis to blame for this one. There is no attempt to call the hounds off, even though hounds are trespassing on private property, with the owners in situ. This was a deliberate kill by the Kimblewick, who are so up themselves that they will carry on the very end.

Trail hunting? What a joke.

A still from the video. It’s pretty darn clear what is happening - call them off! Nope.

DA1682EB-7E65-480C-89AE-3504641ED92D.jpeg

Last edited:

Marigold4

Visit site

This happened to me. Shot raining down on to stables tin roof. Farrier was trying to shoe horses at the time. He was very angry and threatened to go and punch farmer's son who was doing this. Spoke to farmer about it and he refused to believe it had happened. My horses were terrified too.

Another time farmer's son crossed over my field to go shooting in neighbouring woods. Dropped live cartridges where my horses were grazing. I picked them up and presented them to his dad who again refused to believe this. Thankfully they have now sold up and moved.

stormox

Visit site
Quite loose the fox , stand around, then maybe see a poor defenceless fox ripped to sheds, not to mention they jump anything in their way, ditches with dangerous things in, in fact anything in their way making a poor horse risk his life. Where as fox and mock hunting much safer and kinder

I think its the fact its not pre-planned, you dont know where you will end up, how long you will run for, what you will jump or how fast theyl go makes it exciting.
Otherwise its a glorified xc ride.
I used to enjoy hunting (when it was legal)... I didnt go to see a fox killed,I knew some did get killed of course, but if the hunt didnt kill them the farmer would shoot or trap them..... I went for the excitement of riding across unknown country.....usually at a fast pace.

Sandstone1

Visit site
The Kimblewick Hunt again, the pack of choice of the Head of Hunting for the Countryside Alliance :rolleyes:.

All caught caught on fixed cctv with audio, no antis to blame for this one. There is no attempt to call the hounds off, even though hounds are trespassing on private property, with the owners in situ. This was a deliberate kill by the Kimblewick, who are so up themselves that they will carry on the very end.

Trail hunting? What a joke.

A still from the video. It’s pretty darn clear what is happening - call them off! Nope.

View attachment 62069
What excuse will they make for that..... Another nail in the coffin of "Trail hunting"

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Towards the end of the video did that man in the woods grab the fox and pull it out the hole?

Surely given there is video footage, action should be taken against them?

Why are they even out with COVID?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I am amazed they are still allowed to hunt like this given they are in a tier 4 area I think?

Surely they should be cancelled? I know its outside but places like riding schools are mostly having individual lessons so how is this allowed to continue- there are way more than in a group rs lesson...

Yes it may be seen as outside but surely everyone should be doing what they can to prevent the spread- I believe in tier 4 you can only meet 1 person not in your household outside- so I could only meet 1 parent in a park, yet I could go off on a jolly to go hunting with way more people that I don't know....

I keep an eye on the local blood hounding pack's Facebook page so I can avoid hacking if they are nearby, and they have cancelled Xmas eve and boxing day meets due to tier 4.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Surely they should be cancelled? I know its outside but places like riding schools are mostly having individual lessons so how is this allowed to continue- there are way more than in a group rs lesson...

Yes it may be seen as outside but surely everyone should be doing what they can to prevent the spread- I believe in tier 4 you can only meet 1 person not in your household outside- so I could only meet 1 parent in a park, yet I could go off on a jolly to go hunting with way more people that I don't know....

I keep an eye on the local blood hounding pack's Facebook page so I can avoid hacking if they are nearby, and they have cancelled Xmas eve and boxing day meets due to tier 4.

Apparently, hunts are exempt from rules outside of tier 4. Not sure what makes them special compared to other horsey events which are not allowed, but there you go!

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...go-ahead-thanks-to-government-loophole/26/12/

But I am pretty sure the Kimblewick are in a tier 4 area? So the exemption should not apply?

Steerpike

Visit site
My local hunt did not meet on boxing day, thank goodness as they always upset my horses, we are in tier 4, don't the regulations for tier 4 say you can only meet 1 other person outside?