Hunting is in a spot of bother

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This! I don't think it will go very far but I think what this comes down to is the message that you can not show such blatant disregard for the safety of others and not face some sort of repercussion.

Also, I think it may surprise you to know, I feel that the arrest and the threat of ending in court ihanging over his head is actually sufficient punishment, providing he has actually caused no injury.

paddy555

Visit site
That woman was in her 60s!
What on earth was she doing conducting guerrilla warfare in the countryside??
I'm sorry but age is indeed a big factor here. There are countless studies of the aging process showing that reaction times are slower, coordination is poorer, muscles are weaker, joints/tendons less flexible. Even down to less awareness of where their limbs actually are which of course reduces ability to make rapid adjustments when balance is lost. Hence high risk of falls, breakages.
She was very lucky not to have been seriously injured and should never have put herself in that position.
It's doubtful he would have been able to ascertain how old she was in that clothing let alone conduct a mobility assessment in that brief exchange. Clearly she was unable to move as quickly as she intended and it was a bloody big risk to take.
Also, in the footage I saw he had slowed to a trot and did indeed look back to check she was on her feet.

love this. Best post on the thread.

I, late 60's with OH nearly 10 years older, am just about to groom and saddle the horses for our daily ride.

Do you think it would be better if I got our zimmer frames ready instead? As you must be an expert on age your advice would be welcome.

After our ride OH will ride another horse and I will walk for an hour with a horse that needs in hand walking. That will be over quite rough countryside.

After that could be collapse on the sofa or , like yesterday, could be 15 miles on the bikes (which I admit are electric). Then a couple of nags to foot trim. Presuming I manage to stay on my feet for that long of course and the zimmer frame doesn't give out with all the work required of it.

BTW so far done 8 horses. Tonight will do them again.

Any tips or advice how to get out of this crazy daily routine of activity would be greatly appreciated.

PPS I expect there will be lots of likes, just not yours, as many of the rest of the "oldies" (who are gosh in their 60's :eek:) will not doubt be doing more or less the same as me.

Zimmers frames at the ready. :p

littleshetland

Visit site
love this. Best post on the thread.

I, late 60's with OH nearly 10 years older, am just about to groom and saddle the horses for our daily ride.

Do you think it would be better if I got our zimmer frames ready instead? As you must be an expert on age your advice would be welcome.

After our ride OH will ride another horse and I will walk for an hour with a horse that needs in hand walking. That will be over quite rough countryside.

After that could be collapse on the sofa or , like yesterday, could be 15 miles on the bikes (which I admit are electric). Then a couple of nags to foot trim. Presuming I manage to stay on my feet for that long of course and the zimmer frame doesn't give out with all the work required of it.

BTW so far done 8 horses. Tonight will do them again.

Any tips or advice how to get out of this crazy daily routine of activity would be greatly appreciated.

PPS I expect there will be lots of likes, just not yours, as many of the rest of the "oldies" (who are gosh in their 60's :eek:) will not doubt be doing more or less the same as me.

Zimmers frames at the ready. :p
Careful with those typing fingers Paddy.....you might strain your fingers.

Peglo

Visit site
I also blame the 60 year old woman. She had no right to take interest in anything other than knitting, hoovering, washing dishes and making a lovely meal for her husband to come home to. There is plenty of safe pass times she could be taking part in like baking, planting bulbs or steaming the curtains.

how dare she get in the way of a rich white male on his horse playing big balls. Do 60 year olds not know their place anymore??? Back to the stove woman where your slow reactions are wanted.

paddy555

Visit site
I also blame the 60 year old woman. She had no right to take interest in anything other than knitting, hoovering, washing dishes and making a lovely meal for her husband to come home to. There is plenty of safe pass times she could be taking part in like baking, planting bulbs or steaming the curtains.

quite right Peglo. We need to get back to the kitchen sink. We have forgotten our place. ;)

SilverLinings

Visit site
I'm rising 63 and to be honest I feel a bit knackered sometimes. (Usually after humping bales of hay or bags of feed around). How I would cope with standing next to a gate and then walking away from a gate I really don't know.

I wouldn't try it if I were you, you must be past that kind of vigorous activity. In fact I wouldn't stand up anywhere, just in case. It's probably quite selfish of you to leave the house TBH, think of all the other poor people who have to take extra care not to knock into you/run you over/let their horse jump on your head/etc.

(obviously this is heavy sarcasm 🤣)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's not long til the end of the season, I wonder if the Cottesmore huntsman will be out again before the finish or if he will be box rested?

No legal reason for him not to resume his usual duties. Let's hope that the hunt or its associates don't flatten any more sabs this season tbough, between them they've already bagged a brace of female sabs.

Annagain

Visit site
That woman was in her 60s!
What on earth was she doing conducting guerrilla warfare in the countryside??
I'm sorry but age is indeed a big factor here. There are countless studies of the aging process showing that reaction times are slower, coordination is poorer, muscles are weaker, joints/tendons less flexible. Even down to less awareness of where their limbs actually are which of course reduces ability to make rapid adjustments when balance is lost. Hence high risk of falls, breakages.
She was very lucky not to have been seriously injured and should never have put herself in that position.
It's doubtful he would have been able to ascertain how old she was in that clothing let alone conduct a mobility assessment in that brief exchange. Clearly she was unable to move as quickly as she intended and it was a bloody big risk to take.
Also, in the footage I saw he had slowed to a trot and did indeed look back to check she was on her feet.

Only one person was responsible for the decision to jump that gate and put 4 living beings at risk and it wasn't the woman. Even if your ridiculous argument that her reactions were slower etc holds water, it would make his decision all the more reckless, rather than justifying it.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
In all seriousness I do think we more mature folk benefitted from no day time TV, no computer games, no mobiles, no social media, proper PE at school and home cooked meals served at the table. We played out all day, riding our bikes or ponies, swimming, etc. I dont recall any of my childhood friends being overweight. When I was working a large percentage of my female colleagues in their twenties and thirties were overweight or obese, sedentary and frequently absent with sickness. My circle of friends here are predominately in their 60s and 70s and still very active and engaged.

Fred66

Visit site
So if I hit someone with my car, it's okay if I don't stop or report is as long as 1. they're over 60 and 2. I slow down and look back?

Just trying to keep up with your logic
No because there is a law about leaving the scene of an accident when driving a car, so you would be committing a road traffic offense if you left.

I think the most he will get is a caution. His likely defense will be that he informed them that he intended to jump, he assessed the gap which combined with his knowledge of his and his horse‘s capabilities he felt it was safe to jump. He aimed for and jumped at exactly the point he was aiming for which had the person on foot not walked into would have been safe for all concerned. Unfortunately she moved at the split second that he was already committed and his horse knocked her over.

The video stops shortly after the incident so other than him appearing to look back to check then we don’t know whether he circled back, asked someone else to check on her or just rode on having ascertained she was not too badly hurt.

sakura

Visit site
No because there is a law about leaving the scene of an accident when driving a car, so you would be committing a road traffic offense if you left.

Okay cool, so I just have to use my horse then? As per the poster I was quoting's logic anyway

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Miss_Millie

Visit site
If the antis have their facts straight (yes, I'm aware that they often don't) , the regular Cottesmore huntsman was not out at their meet earlier in the week after the gate jumping/sab flattening incident. Instead this delightful stand in carried the horn.

Not a wildlife crime, it was classed as theft, but it really was not a very nice thing to do.

'But there is nothing violent about hunting people, it isn't a violent sport, it isn't about blood lust!'

(According to several people on this thread)

That poor sheep, I can't even imagine how terrible that must of been for the owners.

SilverLinings

Visit site

Not a wildlife crime, it was classed as theft, but it really was not a very nice thing to do.

As he used his* gun in the commission of a crime I hope he had his license revoked, especially as presumably there was some anger involved in doing something like that. That was an incredibly cold-hearted thing to do.

*assuming it was his as the article doesn't say otherwise.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
As he used his* gun in the commission of a crime I hope he had his license revoked, especially as presumably there was some anger involved in doing something like that. That was an incredibly cold-hearted thing to do.

*assuming it was his as the article doesn't say otherwise.

Curious that in the article, it says the sheep belonged to another member of the hunt. Perhaps someone he had a falling out with :oops:

Clodagh

Visit site
how dare she get in the way of a rich white male on his horse playing big balls..
Much as thought Fellewell’s post was 😳🤣🤣🤣😂🤷‍♀️ you assuming he’s rich is a classic example of pre ordained assumptions about hunting people. And what on earth does colour have to do with anything?
(Disclaimer that he may be rich, personally I’ve no idea).

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site
Much as thought Fellewell’s post was 😳🤣🤣🤣😂🤷‍♀️ you assuming he’s rich is a classic example of pre ordained assumptions about hunting people. And what on earth does colour have to do with anything?
(Disclaimer that he may be, personally I’ve no idea).

not hunting people…. People with horses. Don’t think the homeless could afford a horse. I don’t think of myself as rich but compared to people deciding on food or heating I’m in a privileged situation to afford to keep horses. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m not going to apologise for taking the piss out of someone who will force their white privilege on others (or if they don’t think they are better than others they shouldn’t behave like it)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
not hunting people…. People with horses. Don’t think the homeless could afford a horse. I don’t think of myself as rich but compared to people deciding on food or heating I’m in a privileged situation to afford to keep horses. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m not going to apologise for taking the piss out of someone who will force their white privilege on others (or if they don’t think they are better than others they shouldn’t behave like it)

The horse is often not owned by the Huntsman, he is an employee and it is a tool provided for his job.

You are definitely showing your prejudices here, sorry.