Hunting is in a spot of bother

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The MP in whose constituency the Warwickshire Hunt operates has written again to the Home Secretary re the secret protocol between Warwickshire Police and the Warwickshire Hunt.

His first letter about the matter was referred to Defra 🙄. Defra, who have absolutely nothing to do with law and order, and who sidelined it.

IMG_0727.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
The MP in whose constituency the Warwickshire Hunt operates has written again to the Home Secretary re the secret protocol between Warwickshire Police and the Warwickshire Hunt.

His first letter about the matter was referred to Defra 🙄. Defra, who have absolutely nothing to do with law and order, and who sidelined it.

View attachment 135272
It really makes you wonder about what else is being ignored. I assumed police corruption was a thing of the past. Naive much!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The hunts sabs are publishing details of an internal meeting involving named senior Warwickshire Police officers and their own Rural Police Crime Team.

The Warwickshire Police Rural Crime Team had plenty of evidence of anti social behaviour instances against the hunt and wanted another CPN to be placed on them. The senior officers’ response was allegedly to remove the Warwickshire Police Crime Team from policing the Warwickshire Hunt, and instead to farm it out to other sections.

Additionally, Warwickshire Police will allegedly refuse to accept any further video footage of the Warwickshire Hunt committing anti social offences from sab sources, and instead will only accept it from members of the public. Apparently ‘the public’ don’t complain about the hunt, it’s just the sabs.

Warwickshire Hunt to continue on their merry illegal way unbothered by the lower ranks in the police who were on to them.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
The woman might as well have got a hammer and nailed the coffin shut herself. No wonder public perception is as it is.

The police officer sounded like he just wants the whole thing banned and be done with it. Well done the interviewer for persisting for straight answers
I did think at least she turned up and was interviewed, even if she said nothing, it would have been easier to issue a no comment.
And hunting, even when it was legal, was always reliant on the opinion of the county big man. If he was pro the antis got arrested, if he was anti they got ignored. Not right but the way it was. So the Plymouth guy is anti and Warks is pro. And extremely dodgy by the sound of things.

Indy

Visit site
I did think at least she turned up and was interviewed, even if she said nothing, it would have been easier to issue a no comment.
And hunting, even when it was legal, was always reliant on the opinion of the county big man. If he was pro the antis got arrested, if he was anti they got ignored. Not right but the way it was. So the Plymouth guy is anti and Warks is pro. And extremely dodgy by the sound of things.
The way she came across, no comment would have been the better option, I think anyway

YourValentine

Visit site
True!! Its evil to chase and kill for pleasure. Its sick! Fox control can be done humanely
Humane fox control is actually very hard.

Poison and trapping are not humane by any means.

It takes an incredibly good marksman to kill a fox (instantly) with one shot. Many are just severely injured and die later.

This is why for the badger cull marksmen have to be licensed, there are conditions on distance they can shoot from, with the ideal being point blank to a trapped badger, the calibre used, and carcasses are meant to be checked regularly for accuracy of shot and therefore speed of death (aka humane-ness).

Not saying it always happens but at least there are guidelines and standards. There is none of that for shooting foxes.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
At least the Warwickshire Hunt master did turn up and face the cameras, though it was indeed a car crash interview.

That the Warwickshire Police Chief Constable refused to be interviewed on the matter was 😳😳😳.

I suspect that a number of ‘useful idiots’ are going to take the rap for this, but I hope that those who are orchestrating it behind the scenes get brought to account, too.

This is much more sinister than a simple case of illegal hunting.

Fransurrey

Visit site
This is why for the badger cull marksmen have to be licensed, there are conditions on distance they can shoot from, with the ideal being point blank to a trapped badger, the calibre used, and carcasses are meant to be checked regularly for accuracy of shot and therefore speed of death (aka humane-ness).

Not saying it always happens but at least there are guidelines and standards. There is none of that for shooting foxes.
Culled badgers are sent for TB screening as part of the process, so are seen by a resident pathologist, as well as members of the PM team. If there were multiple incidences of poor shooting I think it would be in the public domain, by now.

Landcruiser

Visit site
At least the Warwickshire Hunt master did turn up and face the cameras, though it was indeed a car crash interview.

That the Warwickshire Police Chief Constable refused to be interviewed on the matter was 😳😳😳.

I suspect that a number of ‘useful idiots’ are going to take the rap for this, but I hope that those who are orchestrating it behind the scenes get brought to account, too.

This is much more sinister than a simple case of illegal hunting.
She presented like a parody Tory toff - strong echoes of Rosie Holt ( A comedian, for anyone unable to tell the difference between parody and reality - which is totally forgivable these days!)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm not sure about the "Fox control is hard" argument. Here, for example, you can trap them if they're a nuisance and then shoot them point blank. You are required to check your traps at certain hourly intervals, and nowadays you can just set up a camera too.

Sometimes you also don't catch a fox and might catch a racoon that you have to release, for example. So it can be more time consuming to some extent, but if you're actually interested in things being a bit more humane and less damaging, then I'd think that this could be an attractive option.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm not sure about the "Fox control is hard" argument. Here, for example, you can trap them if they're a nuisance and then shoot them point blank. You are required to check your traps at certain hourly intervals, and nowadays you can just set up a camera too.

Sometimes you also don't catch a fox and might catch a racoon that you have to release, for example. So it can be more time consuming to some extent, but if you're actually interested in things being a bit more humane and less damaging, then I'd think that this could be an attractive option.
Some foxes are too clever to be trapped. Saying that though, I don’t think shooting them is a welfare issue, with modern guns and night vision. I’ve been on many a nights lamping and they’ve all been instantly dead.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Some foxes are too clever to be trapped. Saying that though, I don’t think shooting them is a welfare issue, with modern guns and night vision. I’ve been on many a nights lamping and they’ve all been instantly dead.

I'm not saying that shooting them is a welfare issue. It's all of the asshattery that takes place with the hunts that's the welfare issue. I mean, how on earth do other places control the fox population without hunts on horseback? It surely is not impossible. That's my point; there are other ways that cause less destruction to the land and less stress/interference to/with the public and still control the fox population.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm not saying that shooting them is a welfare issue. It's all of the asshattery that takes place with the hunts that's the welfare issue. I mean, how on earth do other places control the fox population without hunts on horseback? It surely is not impossible. That's my point; there are other ways that cause less destruction to the land and less stress/interference to/with the public and still control the fox population.

If you listen to the hunters justify fox hunting you could easily come to the conclusion that the entire country is hunted by hounds. In fact vast swathes of countryside haven't been hunted with a pack of hounds for a very long time, if ever. Those areas are controlled by shooting the foxes which are known to be taking livestock and poultry, not by chasing whichever one you come across with a pack of hounds. Like Clodagh, I know some night shooters and they would be very embarrassed to ever miss.

Some people do use snares, and I do not understand why snares are still legal. They are utterly vile.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Fox hunting is not about pest control. If it were, then hunts would not actively encourage foxes by feeding them and making environments to encourage them to breed.
why do you think they do that? To give them something to chase so they can have their sport. If it were really about pest control they would be riding down your local high street. There are far more urban foxes around.
They should just be honest with themselves and the public. They go hunting for the thrill of the chase and the ride across country. They enjoy watching hounds work and they enjoy the actual kill.
It is a simple as that.

Clodagh

Visit site
If you listen to the hunters justify fox hunting you could easily come to the conclusion that the entire country is hunted by hounds. In fact vast swathes of countryside haven't been hunted with a pack of hounds for a very long time, if ever. Those areas are controlled by shooting the foxes which are known to be taking livestock and poultry, not by chasing whichever one you come across with a pack of hounds. Like Clodagh, I know some night shooters and they would be very embarrassed to ever miss.

Some people do use snares, and I do not understand why snares are still legal. They are utterly vile.
The threat of snares is very handy for getting dog walkers to keep their furbaby on the footpath. 😁

meleeka

Visit site
That's what foxes do , I came home one day and all my chickens had been killed by a fox in broad daylight , he only took one.
That fox killed for fun.

I don’t believe it’s for fun. I think it’s adrenaline that causes them to kill more than they need. I had a JRT that would kill every small furry she came across, given the chance. If she found a load of mice in one place, she would kill them all, and not actually eat any of them. She was doing what came naturally to her, her instinct and what she was bred for. She never got the chance, but I’m pretty sure she’d have been the same with chickens. I think a fox is less likely to kill if the birds stopped flapping, but of course they aren’t going to do that. My dog was perfectly calm and lovely with humans and anything bigger than her, so not aggressive in the slightest.

Juniper Jack

Visit site
I think i have read that cats have the same instinct. Maybe it is done for practice; I don't know. But I've just now Googled it and apparently there are lots of creatures who do this.