Hunting is in a spot of bother

Clodagh

Visit site
Greg Baker, huntsman of the Carmarthenshire-based Llandeilo Farmers Hunt, was today sentenced to 20 weeks prison, suspended for 2 years, 150 hours of unpaid work plus a £150 surcharge after being found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a number of animals. He did not receive a disqualification.

When the RSPCA raided Baker’s squalid property, they found five horses suffering from extreme neglect. All were severely underweight and suffering from lice infestations and rain scald - a painful condition caused by prolonged exposure to the elements. One of the horses - a Shetland pony - weighed just 60 kg when rescued. She put on 20 kg when provided with basic care and nutrition by the RSPCA.

Additionally, a foxhound was found to have a prolapsed penis and had to be treated with methadone - the highest level of pain relief licensed for dogs - despite Baker’s protestation that no such anaesthetic was needed. In September 2023, the HSA broke the news that the Llandeilo Farmers Hunt had folded. Since then, there have been persistent rumours that the hunt would reform if Baker was acquitted. Fortunately, his barrister, fellow hunter and long-serving master of the Emlyn Beagles Matthew Paul, failed in this endeavour.
How can he not be disqualified from keeping animals? That’s terrible.

saalsk

Visit site
I thought that pack had folded a couple of years ago. I am in Carmarthenshire, and not encountered them, but have done other packs, although for the last 2 years - nothing. What I am finding now is a few blokes (not saying it is just men, just what I have seen) with a dozen dogs, no horses, no bikes etc that I have seen. Just dogs and men with guns. Men spread out over a few fields, moving around, dogs in a pack but quartering and tracking. On my fields, in my garden, in field with my sheep (not chasing, but the sheep were not happy) and the blokes a good 3 fields away - hardly what you would call *control*. They saw me videoing a few months ago, not seen them since. The hounds were chasing a fox, the men knew this, the fox went across my fields and away, and I am sure the only reason the men called hounds away was because I was there with a camera. And shouting at them. Loud voice, rude words, and making it very clear they were not welcome.

If they trailed/clean booted I'd happily let them on my land if they told me when, so I could move various animals inside. They do not do themselves any favours, nor the view of people towards horse riders in general. I shake my head. Madness.

teapot

Visit site
Having just read it for work, as I was scrolling down to the relevant section, I noticed Labour has included ‘we will ban trail hunting’ in their manifesto.

P.59 for anyone interested

lizziebell

Visit site
Having just read it for work, as I was scrolling down to the relevant section, I noticed Labour has included ‘we will ban trail hunting’ in their manifesto.

I confess to not having read it thoroughly, but from the odd snippet I’ve heard, the ban will include drag hunting. I am rather disappointing that drag hunting has been tarnished by trail huntings indiscretions, and that it shows labour doesn’t actually understand “hunting” nor countryside issues.

(I would be quite happy for trail hunting in its current format to be banned)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I confess to not having read it thoroughly, but from the odd snippet I’ve heard, the ban will include drag hunting. I am rather disappointing that drag hunting has been tarnished by trail huntings indiscretions, and that it shows labour doesn’t actually understand “hunting” nor countryside issues.

It does appear to be a misunderstanding of what they each entail. It would have to be discussed in parliament/HoL, though, so no doubt a distinction will be made there (I can't imagine drag hunters not fighting for their cause).

Juniper Jack

Visit site

Similar was said of Labour 20 years ago. Why would they have changed?

HopOnTrot

Visit site

I don’t follow the hunt, but I’ve enjoyed the odd day over the years and I think it would be a crying shame.

My main concern with Labour is the VAT on school fees, both of my children are likely to go to private school due to (different) SEN needs and the extra 20% VAT on education is terrifying.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I think it will be a real shame when trail hunting is banned; it could have been a good way (the only way?) to keep the sport and most of the associated traditions alive. The fact that a ban is now likely is entirely the fault of all of the hunts, hunt staff and followers who have continued to hunt illegally since the banning of foxhunting. by behaving as though they are above the law they have shot themselves in the foot. Their appalling behaviour means that unfortunately I can understand why trail hunting (and other similar types of clean boot hunting) will now be banned.

All those who claimed that by continuing to hunt fox they were keeping hound skills alive for the day the foxhunting ban would be repealed were fools; the banning of clean boot hunting will make a return to legal foxhunting even less likely. There behaviour has also spoilt the fun for a much wider group than the selfish few who kept breaking the law.

GSD Woman

Visit site
For the people who want to chase foxes, doesn't Ireland still allow live hunting? Second question, how hard would it be for people to go Ireland to hunt on occasion?

Questions from a non-hunting American, where in her area foxes are very rarely killed.

Old school

Visit site
For the people who want to chase foxes, doesn't Ireland still allow live hunting? Second question, how hard would it be for people to go Ireland to hunt on occasion?

Questions from a non-hunting American, where in her area foxes are very rarely killed.
It is still legal here. Insurance is the big issue. Easiest way is to become a member of an Irish pack with a signed up waiver. Day members are accepted. But it is risk for a hunt taking someone out for a day and not knowing their riding competency. Plus pricey if you are from overseas.

gunnergundog

Visit site

This is precisely what I did two seasons ago - shipped my two hunters across! It costs an arm and a leg financially and physically - upends your entire life in this country, creates all sorts of problems, but if you love the ancient art of venery then it is worth every penny of it. Just not sure how much more my body/pension can endure now being in my 70s. Fox hunting is not my only love; grouse shooting with my hprs is my other and trying to run the two in different geographies is taxing to say the least.

PS Horses familiar with the shires don't necessarily adapt to carrying their ancient cargo over unfamiliar terrain! :)

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Personally, It will be a big incentive for me to vote for whichever party promise to ban hunting with hounds completely.
I find it interesting that works both ways, it’s astounding to me that hunting is more important than anything else that is wrong with this country. And that is as someone who would be really upset not to have hounds doing their thing any more.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I find it interesting that works both ways, it’s astounding to me that hunting is more important than anything else that is wrong with this country. And that is as someone who would be really upset not to have hounds doing their thing any more.
Its certainly not the only thing that would sway the way I vote, but living in a area that has a hunt that thinks they are above the law and police that allow blatant law breaking by said hunt something drastic needs to be done.
This Government has no intention of doing anything to stop the farce that is trail hunting so lets hope the next one has the guts to do it.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I'm in an area with a hunt like Sandstone1 and detest them and their behaviour but hunting is not really of any importance to me in deciding who I will vote for. Yes it's a pain and so wrong what so many hunts are doing but it pales into insignificance, to me, compared with other issues.

I do slso feel for the hunts and supporters that are hunting within the law.

neddy man

Visit site

I've looked at their 2024 manifesto and page 59 but cant find it though it has 3 pages and I can get 1 and 3 up but for page 2 it says this page is password protected so I cant read it, am I looking in the wrong place? Could you quote the page/ section please? Thanks

teapot

Visit site
I've looked at their 2024 manifesto and page 59 but cant find it though it has 3 pages and I can get 1 and 3 up but for page 2 it says this page is password protected so I cant read it, am I looking in the wrong place? Could you quote the page/ section please? Thanks

Tis here:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
People have always chosen which political party to vote for on based on single issues which might not be important to others, but which are very important to them.

It’s not at all surprising that to many banning hunting is a very important issue. Both from those who want it retained in full (as repeal), and those who want all hunting banned altogether.

ETA You should see what the Countryside Alliance says about who to vote for 🤣.

Pedantic

Visit site

They will say anything to get votes, just like the Muppets trying to cling onto power at the moment.

equinerebel

Visit site
People have always chosen which political party to vote for on based on single issues which might not be important to others, but which are very important to them.
Indeed, and doing something about the blatant cruelty that goes on within illegal hunting is an important one to me. It’s fine if that doesn’t factor into other people’s decision making process, and it doesn’t mean that I don’t also care equally, or more, about other issues affecting the UK.