Hunting is in a spot of bother

Sandstone1

Visit site
I just can not get my head around why people still go hunting.People who are supposed to be animal lovers. Forget the pretence of trail hunting most of us know its proper fox hunting in most cases. The chaos on roads, the upset caused to other animals let alone the the act of killing foxes. What sort of mindset do you have to have to want to do it?

Clodagh

Visit site
I think people that have done it all their lives, whose families have always done it, are understandably struggling to imagine a future without it. It’s hard to explain but if you are passionate about something and it’s your raison d’etre and you disagree with some others perception of it then it must be a very difficult thing to abandon.

bluehorse

Visit site
I think people that have done it all their lives, whose families have always done it, are understandably struggling to imagine a future without it. It’s hard to explain but if you are passionate about something and it’s your raison d’etre and you disagree with some others perception of it then it must be a very difficult thing to abandon.
Well said, I hate hunting but I agree with that. I’m not sure what the answer is for the future of those whose livelihood depends on it or for whom it’s their only reason for owning horses.

SEL

Visit site
And it's a fabulous ride over country most of us don't get to ride on. I can absolutely see why some of my local riders are out weekly or more if they can afford it

Sandstone1

Visit site
And it's a fabulous ride over country most of us don't get to ride on. I can absolutely see why some of my local riders are out weekly or more if they can afford it
Maybe if more hunts stuck to the law and did actually trail hunt they would have more chance of surviving. Instead of doing what many hunts are doing and continuing to hunt fox as well as causing chaos on roads, upsetting other animals etc etc....

paddy555

Visit site
but not quite so fabulous if you are the local residents having to put up with what can be considerable disruption just so people can hunt foxes and get their fabulous ride.

SEL

Visit site
but not quite so fabulous if you are the local residents having to put up with what can be considerable disruption just so people can hunt foxes and get their fabulous ride.
Absolutely - I am one of the local residents who regularly has my life disrupted and has complaints ignored.

But post #6061 asked why they still did it and I know why because I have friends who hunt...

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Agreed, I have to find time to get all my horses in if the hunt is coming near us. They do give us prior warning but because of antis, they only give 24 hrs warning which is not always very convenient.

lizziebell

Visit site
There’s been some awareness posts from local police forces on Facebook recently, advising people to keep their dogs under control and on lead around livestock - not just because they may attack livestock, but that their presence may also stress livestock. No one seems to ever mention the stress out of control hunt hounds have on livestock. Last time the hunt was near us, there were hounds running riot in a field of two old ponies. Absolutely No reason for the hounds to be in there at all. A concerned local did post about it on facebook as they said they saw the ponies running around and thought the owner might need to check on them, but got very complacent replies from local hunt supporters that the ponies will be fine and are used to it. Errrrr, no - it’s not ok. Whether the ponies were fine or not, that is private land and someone else’s livestock - the hounds should not have been in there !

The other thing that gets my goat (while I’m on a roll about the out of control hounds), is as a responsible dog owner, I pick up after my dogs. Who picks up after the hounds?

Sandstone1

Visit site
There’s been some awareness posts from local police forces on Facebook recently, advising people to keep their dogs under control and on lead around livestock - not just because they may attack livestock, but that their presence may also stress livestock. No one seems to ever mention the stress out of control hunt hounds have on livestock. Last time the hunt was near us, there were hounds running riot in a field of two old ponies. Absolutely No reason for the hounds to be in there at all. A concerned local did post about it on facebook as they said they saw the ponies running around and thought the owner might need to check on them, but got very complacent replies from local hunt supporters that the ponies will be fine and are used to it. Errrrr, no - it’s not ok. Whether the ponies were fine or not, that is private land and someone else’s livestock - the hounds should not have been in there !

The other thing that gets my goat (while I’m on a roll about the out of control hounds), is as a responsible dog owner, I pick up after my dogs. Who picks up after the hounds?
It seems its one rule for one regarding the hunt. Normal rules and manners do not apply to them for some reason. Even though in a lot of cases they are in fact carrying out a illegal activity. The police in my area turn a blind eye to it. Makes one wonder why......

Millionwords

Visit site

I've witnessed hounds in a field full of sheep riot on a lamb. The hunt didn't give a šhîťë.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hard hitting coverage by Channel 4 7pm news tonight of the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale hunt being caught red handed by drone footage of illegally hunting and killing a fox a few weeks ago. Much comment from the police about the widespread issue of illegal hunting.

ETA It's been almost two decades since fox hunting was banned in the UK. But footage shared exclusively with this programme shows how it continues across our countryside. What we are about to show you has led to the sports' governing body suspending those involved from further hunts.

And a warning: this report contains distressing images from the start.

The BHSA has finally taken belated action against what has long been well known to be a naughty hunt. Interestingly not just against the masters and hunt staff, but it appears that also all the field who are members of the BHSA have been suspended from all hunting activities.

Mind you, the BHSA have known about this footage since early Dec and did feck all until it became clear that Channel 4 News was going to run the news item.

IMG_0567.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

ETA There is clear drone footage of the minutes before the kill showing the fox fleeing and the hunt following it. C4 have circled the fox in red and people from the hunt in blue showing what was happening. The hunt were clearly unaware of the spy in the sky and carried on fox hunting as per pre ban. The fox had tried to find refuge in a farm building but was moved on, and hounds got it shortly afterwards when it made a fatal error of doubling back towards the hounds. It’s all there on film, showing the very close proximity of the hunt and terrier men.

This still is of the kill.

IMG_0569.jpeg

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Hard hitting coverage by Channel 4 7pm news tonight of the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale hunt being caught red handed by drone footage of illegally hunting and killing a fox a few weeks ago. Much comment from the police about the widespread issue of illegal hunting.

ETA It's been almost two decades since fox hunting was banned in the UK. But footage shared exclusively with this programme shows how it continues across our countryside. What we are about to show you has led to the sports' governing body suspending those involved from further hunts.

And a warning: this report contains distressing images from the start.

The BHSA has finally taken belated action against what has long been well known to be a naughty hunt. Interestingly not just against the masters and hunt staff, but it appears that also all the field who are members of the BHSA have been suspended from all hunting activities.

Mind you, the BHSA have known about this footage since early Dec and did feck all until it became clear that Channel 4 News was going to run the news item.

View attachment 132922

View attachment 132923

ETA There is clear drone footage of the minutes before the kill showing the fox fleeing and the hunt following it. C4 have circled the fox in red and people from the hunt in blue showing what was happening. The hunt were clearly unaware of the spy in the sky and carried on fox hunting as per pre ban. The fox had tried to find refuge in a farm building but was moved on, and hounds got it shortly afterwards when it made a fatal error of doubling back towards the hounds. It’s all there on film, showing the very close proximity of the hunt and terrier men.

This still is of the kill.

View attachment 132932
No doubt there will be excuses for whats going on. I think if followers were held accountable and prosecuted for illegal hunting it would be a big deterrent to hunts breaking the law. After all if you participate in illegal activity you should pay the price.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I’ve never been pro but was pretty ambivalent until my local hunt - Cotswold Vale - rioted last year crossing a livery yard they had been refused permission to hunt over and the hounds attacked a muntjac deer. They didn’t kill it, a police marksman had to be called to despatch it. The Ledbury (also local) are renowned for hunting illegally all the time. Totally agree it should be banned outright to stop this from happening.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The only way forward now is to ban hunting with hounds completely. No ifs or buts. R it’ll be another twenty years of this nonsense.

Sadly I think I now agree. I'm not sure if it will be possible to exempt the drag packs, now, either, for fear they simply rebrand as drag packs and carry on.

There was time until recently to put their house in order but the successful appeal over the coaching webinars seems to have given them a renewed sense of impunity

I heard a reliable report the other day of a teenage child blooded and given the brush as a trophy this season.

Wishfilly

Visit site
The only way forward now is to ban hunting with hounds completely. No ifs or buts. R it’ll be another twenty years of this nonsense.
I think bloodhounds could still exist for the people who genuinely do just enjoy the ride cross country- my understanding is there's no real risk of them killing a fox, so they're not useful cover for anything.

But I agree, there are so many hunts using trail hunting as a smokescreen (including some I really thought were legit)- if they can rebrand as drag packs and continue to hunt, they will.

Wishfilly

Visit site
After seeing rude and obnoxious behaviour from our local hunt even my OH now says they should be banned. He's not actually that fussed by them acting as fox pest control but he is fussed by the lack of manners and carnage they leave in their wake.
Yes, there's a few hunts around here who've allowed hounds to do everything from riot on A roads to chase and kill pets, and between them, they've definitely changed a lot of opinions in a rural area which might be arguably sympathetic to the hunt.

It undermines the rule of law to a concerning extent. I teach, and I've actually had a student bring it up to me before when I was talking to him about his behaviour.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not a squeak yet on the British Hound Sports Association Facebook page about Thursday’s Channel 4 news report on hunting, or even a mention of anything to do with the BSV hunt or anything about illegal hunting. A few other inconsequential posts including pretty pictures of hounds, so someone there appears to be still awake, but nothing on matters of much greater importance to the future of hunting.

Furthermore, the MP whose constituency covers the Warwickshire Hunt country has written to both the Warwickshire chief constable and to the Home Secretary to try and discover just what the current protocol is between Warwickshire Police and the Warwickshire Hunt following the withdrawal of the CPN which was placed on the hunt. Good for him.

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
After seeing rude and obnoxious behaviour from our local hunt even my OH now says they should be banned. He's not actually that fussed by them acting as fox pest control but he is fussed by the lack of manners and carnage they leave in their wake.
I agree with your OH. I’m all for proper hunting and fox control but I stopped after the ban as all the numpties came out of the woodwork.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I think bloodhounds could still exist for the people who genuinely do just enjoy the ride cross country- my understanding is there's no real risk of them killing a fox, so they're not useful cover for anything.

But I agree, there are so many hunts using trail hunting as a smokescreen (including some I really thought were legit)- if they can rebrand as drag packs and continue to hunt, they will.
I didn’t include drag hounds in my conclusion as they have never hunted foxes and therefore aren’t traditional fox hunts.

cauda equina

Visit site
Why ban dragging, though?
That makes it feel as if Steve Reed doesn't really understand the problem
Or perhaps there have been instances of draghounds rioting onto live quarry? I've never heard of that happening but perhaps it does