Hunting is in a spot of bother

[153312]

Visit site
Live animal abuse was also filmed (not been shown yet), I am a minority I do understand that but I believe animals deserve respect in death as well as life and I can’t find any justification for using a dead cow as a trampoline.

The terrier boys filmed are well known and most in the anti hunt movement aren’t surprised.
No one is saying it's not distasteful though, what we're saying is yes it's not great but there is a lot worse that goes on. Much as I dislike what was filmed (I could not/did not watch it all) I think the suffering of live animals ought to take priority.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do remember age 15 on work experience with the local council environment section being taken to one of the local kennels on an inspection. I was prewarned it might be a grim, I wasn't bothered then either (had also done plenty of farm and vet time by that point). They used to do a lot more of their own processing then though, rather than bin for collection.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Wasn't somebody warbling on about how much the hunts think of the hounds. Well I don't buy it.

The casual way those dogs are shot and discarded stinks and quite literally too, I would imagine.

I've never been able to get my head around killing for fun but this was even worse, this was taking lives without thought.

Life is cheap, it seems.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the programme. My opinion is based on the video clips shared above.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think if you feel strongly about how carcasses are treated you probably don’t use the hunt for disposal.
I’ve been in a lot of flesh houses and they’ve all been pretty neat and clean, although yes they do smell.
The use of waste carcasses to make electricity seems sensible and if vegans prefer that not to happen is it different to rabbits being shot so they don’t eat vegetable crops?
Hounds being shot is not nice to watch but they were, possibly, hounds that had rioted and needed culling? (Just supposition there). Yes it was done quickly. Shooting is a quick death, many of us choose it for our horses.
It wasn’t nice viewing and I suspect that anyone that culls animals for a living gets casual about it.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's so easy to say "but it's dead" and for the most part I agree. Still would just bug me if I saw my horse's dead body being treated in such a way and I know some of you all would come on here making the same complaints if you lost a horse near and dear to you. I can talk like it wouldn't bother me, and maybe it wouldn't. I can act like the rational side of me would prevail, but you know, I don't actually know this until I am in the situation. I might be a bit bothered, I might not be. Certainly not hysterical though.

So it's possible that I could overlook that. The health and safety stuff, no.

The thing is, life IS cheap, and animals are just commodities to some. A tool, a thing...just livestock. Killing and also creating waste is alarmingly easy for some. For some it has to be, depending on your occupation, or if you want to eat animals, for example.

When it comes to a quick death, I think their are far worse things that can happen to animals. Still though, it's worth taking a moment to think about it sometimes.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Would people honestly not care if they saw a much loved horse being treated like that?

Well I wouldn't stand and watch because I'd want my last memories to be good ones, but no, it doesn't bother me what is done to the body that remains, it's got no feelings. It's not my horse, it's just the shell it used to walk around in.

I think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to train people to kill farm livestock all day long and shovel them up with dumper trucks because of the size and volume and not expect them to be unemotional/uncaring about it.

And as I said above, any person who eats mass produced meat who is upset by that video needs to give their meat consumption a very hard rethink.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I have been in the unfortunate position of having to have three animals shot in three months. The two horses I stood and watched the whole proceedings and chatted to the knackerman the whole time they were winched onto the wagon. The donkey was a different matter, I had to walk away until the ramp went up.

This does not mean that the horses meant any less to me, I cannot really rationalise it myself. The biggest difference is that both horses were late teens and had problems when they arrived here, although one had been here for nearly 5 years. The donkey was only four years old and only here for nine months, and I had expected him to be here for many years more.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
As I already said, no honestly not. TBH I find it a bit baffling why people worry what happens to bodies.

Because people, in general, are obsessed. Look how elaborate some funerals are and the amount of money we spend on tombstones, embalming, and fancy boxes...that just get buried. I know, it's humans, paying respect, celebrating life, and all that, but we're a bit over the top about it all, as a society. So we've just got this idea or mindset ingrained in us, I think. I mean, not all of us think or view it in the same way, but I think it's just something to note.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I was just sat here thinking maybe I should say I don't 'get' funerals either and am working on not attending any more but tricky when there is such a massive social expectation regarding them.
I am with you on this. My family had two funerals for my father, one for just the immediate family where he was interred and another at the weekend for everyone, then straight onto the bun fight. Everyone was horrified that I would only attend one and it was the second event.

One blessing of covid is that there is now a lot less social stigma about small private send offs. The brother in laws cremation was only attended by his partner and that is the way we would like to go.

meleeka

Visit site
I was just sat here thinking maybe I should say I don't 'get' funerals either and am working on not attending any more but tricky when there is such a massive social expectation regarding them.
We didn’t have a funeral for MIL. It would only have been us there so we decided that we didn’t need to do it. I agree with ycbm, funerals are for the people grieving and I respect anyones right to do that however they see fit.

I think the way dead bodies are treated is about respect. I get that they’re dead and they don’t care but I think you should still be as kind as you can. Bodies need to be processed and disposed of, but that should be done with some degree of respect. Remember the outcry of the racing trainer photographed sitting on a dead horse? Again, it was about respect. Repeatedly driving over a cow because you can’t be bothered to do it the correct way isn’t respectful either imo.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As I already said, no honestly not. TBH I find it a bit baffling why people worry what happens to bodies.

TBF, whilst the video in itself did not particularly offend me, you’d have to be pretty hard nosed to say you’d feel nothing if it was your beloved animal whose body was treated with such little respect.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to train people to kill farm livestock all day long and shovel them up with dumper trucks because of the size and volume and not expect them to be unemotional/uncaring about it.

this is a part that sticks out for me.
I wouldn't like the body of my pet horse to be stood on or driven over, but then I am also not having to deal with a reality where i'm moving dead animals around for my job.it's a bit like the reports about how people who work in slaughterhouses get massively desensitised to it - of course they do, it's a god awful job and kind of no wonder things go off the rails as a result.

FWIW We had no funeral for my uncle, the whole situation was already crap enough as he died alone and wasn't found for ages, no one really needed anything in terms of a service after dealing with that and I wouldn't particularly choose to attend others in the future.

so i guess i am sentimental/sensitive in some ways and not in others! With this incident it's the lax treatment of potentially hazardous waste that is the biggest concern to me.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Regardless of how we feel about death, handling of bodies etc, I think most of us can agree that the above situation (didn’t watch the videos, can’t bring myself to) does nothing to enhance the image of hunts, particularly given how hazardous and dangerous it is to have contamination like that. If public perception is that hunts don’t care about animals, both their own and other peoples, then treating dead bodies like that is yet another nail in the coffin.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Regardless of how we feel about death, handling of bodies etc, I think most of us can agree that the above situation (didn’t watch the videos, can’t bring myself to) does nothing to enhance the image of hunts, particularly given how hazardous and dangerous it is to have contamination like that. If public perception is that hunts don’t care about animals, both their own and other peoples, then treating dead bodies like that is yet another nail in the coffin.

Yes, ultimately. Once again the hunts do themselves no favors re their public image, but that's their choice. ?‍♀️

suestowford

Visit site
Cantering Carrot, absolutely. These hunts shown are choosing to carry on like this when they know they are under scrutiny. Now this may not be a true perception but to an outsider they appear to be arrogant and unfeeling, because of what they do and how they behave.
Those hunts who continue to behave like this, will be the ones who engineer the downfall of all hunts.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Completely agree with this.

Steerpike

Visit site
I am not sensitive, having worked in a mortuary for many years, but watching that video showed me that a lot of hunts have absolutely no respect for deceased animals yes they may only be dead carcasses but that doesn't mean they get to be run over with a quad or jumped on, they have no respect for laws/health and safety and looks like they have no dignity working in such dumps, yet another nail they themselves have nailed into their coffin.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm reminded of the outcry from that trainer who was sat on a dead horse whilst taking a phone call.
That’s a point, and I was disgusted by that. But the trainer was disrespectful to an animal that died working for him, the kennel staff had no connection to the cow.

When your pony goes to the kennels you know it will be eaten by hounds and the bones disposed of. Unless it’s inedible for any reason in which case it’s straight in the waste.
Do you think when your pony gets to the crematorium they don’t unload it using a digger or forklift? (I don’t actually know but I’m assuming it’s not ceremonious).

My OH who has worked in kennels said you should always, but always, act as though you are being filmed in any action and behave accordingly. Hunts have let themselves down again.