I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Indy

Visit site
I've got two of mine in Renegades. I really wanted the Scoots but the size that fitted looked unforgiving around the heel and I felt they could rub. I also tried Evo fit kits and the Renegades were the best fit which surprised me becaus my horses have less than perfect feet. I used Hoof Bootique who were very good to deal with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Noooo, I was looking at the Renegades, it looks like the articulated heel would be less likely to rub?

Or, Flex Horse Hoof boots?

Or, Explora Magic?

Something will suit, I hope!

I have some Renegades and I don't see why they would only fit a low heel, the heel is completely independent of the main body of the boot.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rigsby is still going great guns. To my mind anyway, I guess many people would think we are doing not a lot of anything!

I have had 2 more schooling sessions, with a walk out on the 1 mile block, in-hand, in-between. He is getting better and better on the school!

Last time we had a canter. Just the one, but it was on the sticky right rein, that I struggled to get more than 6 strides on last time, and he did 2 1/2 sides, not deep in the corners. I was happy! Before that, he had 'allowed' me into his back to do a sitting trot. I always think it is a special moment, when the soften and lift and allow you to sit softly. Big celery celebration for that!

Today, I was going to do just one canter on the right rein, but Rigsby had pleased me so much before even even got to that stage, we had an almighty celery celebration and dismounted to do it! What was his success?

Ah, the last time I wrote, the celebration was that Rigsby held the contact through an upwards transition... This shows me that he is starting to understand what the bit is all about, to help and guide, not something to shrink away from. It also showed me that he was learning to use his furry ass to push. Today, I wanted to build on that, and have him seek the contact in walk and trot. He could already do this at walk, but trot has been a bit more effortful so he has needed more support not to stick his head up and go with his back dropped. But the chink was there last time through the transition.

I worked in with a long rein, but with a contact, he seeked down and found me. I then rode some movements in walk, handing him from one hand to the other down there, feeling him, whilst having the walk a very definite 4 time, so you could hear the deliberate footfall. I love the sound of feet as a guide when schooling. In fact, that was worth a celery celebration all on its own.

The first time I asked for trot, it was not successful, he dropped me and sucked back, so we abruptly went back to walk, re-established the feel and asked again, with me having a touch more alive feel down the (long) rein. Success! He kept with me, we did maybe 1/4 of a circle, lost it, got it back...

So, today we had a play with working in a long fame. I like that as I can't cheat, as if I do too much he will resist and I can't stop that with long reins. Keeps me honest.

Our old nemesis, the not keeping on the track, reared its head. Hmmm, how to stop that.

Rigsby is generally a very fair horse. Such as, he was awful to clip his legs, but then he also hated them brushing, or towling, or simply touching. Being a cob, he has mallenders. When it is not soft and under control, it hurts. Nothing will convince him to behave when they hurt. He is stronger and me, and he knows it. I like to think I am smarter than him, but I am not so sure. What I do have it a ton of try. When his legs are comfortable, he is initially wary, but then eats hay while I do his legs. He is fair. If I get it right, he will do his best to be a good boy.

For Rigsby not to go on the outer track, it must be for a reason. He is old, unfit, unschooled. Last schooling session, I started to do trot on the outer track, but walk for the corners. I wanted him to know I wasn't going to make him do a sharp turn, in case it hurt. That could be muscular (unfit) of arthritis, or a number of other things. That exercise improved out transitions, but he still was not wanting the outside track.

Today, I decided to explain better, and even offer an aversive (as opposed to always positive). I am not against an aversive, as long is it is neutral in emotion, no anger. It just allows the horse to realise what the easy route is. If he was in pain in the corners, I know that Rigsby will tell me and we can change what we are doing. He is not shy at coming forwards (like with clipping).

So, we did some trot, if he comes off the track it is by dumping his inside shoulder. I tried to correct by leg yielding out, but ended up being far too forceful, as in gripping and kicking. I am not against an aversive, but don't want to do it like that. My signals should be just that, signals, not physically moving or bullying.

So, I changed tack. Not actual tack (plain egbutt snaffle and cavesson), I mean changed my approach. I trotted the outer track, still on a longer rein, but with contact, and realised that the issue wasn't really with where he was trotting, it was that he was coming off the aids in the first place. So, I needed to get him back on the aids.

So, I rode neutrally, when he dumped the shoulder off the track, I asked for a bend, so I could get the shoulder back out, the ribs back to the outside. At present this means a circle, as lateral work is beyond him at the moment, so we came round on a 15m circle. Circle, that would be a slight aversive too, in that a circle is harder than trotting large.

We did this 3 times, the last time we actually also changed rein, so today Rigsby managed a half figure of 8, with 2 15m half circles.

This would not be world beating for most, but it is the most we have ever done. It was probably also the most trotting we have ever done on a session. It was the softest feel, with him experimenting with the contact on a long rein.

So, we stopped, all thoughts of having a canter forgotten, had a celery celebration and called it a success!

ETA a photo. Rigsby last night, stuffing his face. Nom, nom, nom.

He is weird. Some days looks too skinny. The very next day looks fat. Last night was a fat moment!View attachment 66415

He's a schooling baby isn't he Red? I've always found the babies struggle to get the idea of staying on the track (then they hug the damned thing and won't leave it! ?).

He looks fab! I can see the shadow of three ribs below the saddle area, perfect :)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Equine fusion jogging boots. Nice, soft material around the heels, easy to get on and off.

I have two lami ponies in these sometimes 24/7 (I know but farrier and vet both very very ok with this) and even when turned out and zooming about dont come off or rub :)

ETA I got both pairs from Atlantic Equine who were very helpful

mavandkaz

Visit site
Noooo, I was looking at the Renegades, it looks like the articulated heel would be less likely to rub?

Or, Flex Horse Hoof boots?

Or, Explora Magic?

Something will suit, I hope!

Give them a go, I could easily be wrong. Did they recommend renegades as an option?
The articulated heel is one reason I went for them. Having seen them in the flesh, the heel section is not very big, but then I am looking at TB sized boots! You can also buy different sized heel captivators, so may well work.

What others did they recommend other then the scoots and cavellos?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Give them a go, I could easily be wrong. Did they recommend renegades as an option?
The articulated heel is one reason I went for them. Having seen them in the flesh, the heel section is not very big, but then I am looking at TB sized boots! You can also buy different sized heel captivators, so may well work.

What others did they recommend other then the scoots and cavellos?

Urban Horse really only gave those options, as he has feet as wide as they are long. Said that his heels were too big really for Scoots, but worth a go. The Cavallos were their best shot, but are just unfortunate for sizing, I think.

His skin is less than ideal, especially on the legs. He had awful scabby coronets for a while, so would be easy to rub terribly. This is a horse who is brushed and massaged every day, and never gets muddy! He produces far too much keratin :rolleyes:

I will re-contact Urban Horse tomorrow, other than that, I will give Hoof Boutique another try.

Red-1

Visit site
He's a schooling baby isn't he Red? I've always found the babies struggle to get the idea of staying on the track (then they hug the damned thing and won't leave it! ?).

He looks fab! I can see the shadow of three ribs below the saddle area, perfect :)

Yes, the previous owner said she never had him in a school, just hacked. He has more than three ribs showing, some days he looks a bit too skinny, then next too fat. I do weigh tape him weekly and he is pretty stable. It is the mystery of the appearing and disappearing ribs!

Red-1

Visit site
I've got two of mine in Renegades. I really wanted the Scoots but the size that fitted looked unforgiving around the heel and I felt they could rub. I also tried Evo fit kits and the Renegades were the best fit which surprised me becaus my horses have less than perfect feet. I used Hoof Bootique who were very good to deal with.

Yes, the heels on the Scoots would have rubbed, they were harsh.

Julia0803

Visit site
I think my boy has similar sized feet to Rigsby, maybe a a touch smaller.

Cavallo simples in a 5 were ok for short trips but rubbed his heels for longer distances.

scoots seemed either too big or too tight at the back, digging in.

Technically renegades shouldn’t fit. I Facebooked renegade and they said he was a touch too wide.

Anyway, I saw a pair come up second hand on Facebook so bought them knowing I could always sell them on.
They aren’t technically perfect, but they don’t rub him and they stay put.
It might be worth a shot if you can pick some up second hand? Ours are 150x150 classics.

I hope you find something that works

Indy

Visit site

Cavallo simples in a 5 were ok for short trips but rubbed his heels for longer distances.

Technically renegades shouldn’t fit. I Facebooked renegade and they said he was a touch too wide.

Anyway, I saw a pair come up second hand on Facebook so bought them knowing I could always sell them on.
It might be worth a shot if you can pick some up second hand? Ours are 150x150 classics.

That's what I found with the Renegades, they shouldn't fit and they don't look like they do fit but they haven't rubbed or budged and we hack over and through all sorts of ground, they're definitely worth giving the fit kits a go

Red-1

Visit site
I think I will try a Renegade fit kit then, I think they look a more sensibly engineered boot.

If that doesn't work I will try Equine Fusions.

If only there was a shoe shop for horses!

mavandkaz

Visit site
I think I will try a Renegade fit kit then, I think they look a more sensibly engineered boot.

Just be aware that the Renegade (viper) fit kit I got sent was only the bottom part of the boot, it did not come with the heel captivator. May be worth confirming with urban horse whether that is the case for them as well, and if so maybe see if you can somehow try a whole boot rather then the fit kit.

Indy

Visit site
Just be aware that the Renegade (viper) fit kit I got sent was only the bottom part of the boot, it did not come with the heel captivator. May be worth confirming with urban horse whether that is the case for them as well, and if so maybe see if you can somehow try a whole boot rather then the fit kit.

That's right, the fit kits I tried were just the shell to see if it fitted the hoof, I then hired the boot to make sure they fitted otherwise it's a lot of money for something that doesn't fit. IMy biggest boots are 140x140 so would be too small otherwise you could have borrowed them to try.

paddy555

Visit site

I don't want to dash your hopes but I think renegades may be too small, both the vipers and the classics.
Renegades come from HB. If you decided to try them it may be just as cost effective to get one of each on the basis there is less to send back than a pair of each. It is far easier to fit a complete boot than a fit kit.
my feet were 140 x 140 (fronts) and the 4WW in renegade classics fitted nicely.

Red-1

Visit site

As they are similar, would I need Max Cutback or standards?

Julia0803

Visit site
I’ve just had a look on Facebook from when I messaged renegade.

His feet were slightly uneven. But the widest was 151 wide and 147 long. (The other 147 x144)

Renegade said 4ww are 152 x 152 so won’t fit as you need a bit of wiggle room.

I don’t think they are modified/cut back. But they were second hand so not 100% sure.

His feet are probably a few mm narrower now as he’s still growing out flare. I used to have to keep on top of bevelling the edges in between trims. I’ve never had an issue with them coming off or rubbing, going through water, popping logs and gallop. The only issue I ever had was little bits of river grit getting in after doing multiple river crossings, but whether that was related to fit I don’t know.

I don’t know if it’s worth keeping an eye out for a second hand pair that you can sell without a loss if they don’t fit?

GinaGeo

Visit site
The Equine Fusions are a super boot for rehabbing, forgiving fit and don’t rub even when they live in them.

The Renegade Classics 4WW might fit - but I suspect they will be a smidgen small. Echoing as above the Classics do pop up second hand from time to time so it might be worth taking a punt.

Like others have said the Renegades are well engineered and do a good job.

Red-1

Visit site
Urban Horse says only the Scoots or Cavallo would work with the shape his foot is. Butnthey don't so I have sent the fit kits back.

Hoof Boutique were still not contactable.

I have found some Renegade 4WW cutback, on sale on The Saddlery Shop, their advisor said they are worth a try. I bought them. Fingers crossed!

Red-1

Visit site
Ups and downs today. It was awfully windy and I thought that he may be bright and jolly, yay, but in fact he seemed a bit fed up.

He was good and did everything that I asked, but just didn't have the joy. We still did some work and had a BIG plus today. Today... we managed a trot right around the school, on the right rein, including the corners!

It didn't start like that, it started with the old shoulder dumping, and yes, I could get the bend back, but yes, that still meant leaving the track, so today I attended to the WHERE we were as opposed to HOW we were.

I actually rode him right into the corner and halted. Every time we approached the corner, I kept him straight, halted in the corner, did a little reverse and trotted round it.

By heck, he got it. On the right rein first time he managed to stay into the track but didn't bend the correct way. Then the same on the left. The next time we did it, on the right, he managed the whole thing. I am talking active trot, staying on the track on the straight, trotting into the corners, keeping a true bend, trotting the next long side... everything!

Celery celebration!

There I *should* have left it!

But no, I wanted to see if the left rein had also magically got it.

No.

I 'chased it' a bit and he started to lean on the left rein again :rolleyes:

So, again he had done a full day's work, he is old and may be arthritic, so I decided to do a rein back so we had done something good and call it a day. Not push it.

He did a good rein back.

We finished.

So, I am sad that I didn't finish the day at our peak, but happy that we did achieve something new. Improvement is always worth celebrating.

There is a little dressage coming up. I wonder if we could do the intro test???

Last edited: