Wanted In desperate need of a field for horse and pony near me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Visit site
That said, I would still be interested to know about the help and support for vets fees and emergencies to which you refer. I have a friend who is seriously having a hard time. I have tried to offer help, which she has refused. If there is a fund for this somewhere then, genuinely, I would like to know so I could pass it on.

There is no fund, the PDSA and Blue Cross have small animal practices and will help people on certain benefits. They wont treat large animals. The BHS doesnt hand out money for vets bills either. Some charities will take ownership of an animal and have it treated or PTS, but they wont then hand them back to the original owner who cant afford to care for them.

9tails

Visit site
Well well well, a simple post asking for a field has kicked off massively. These threads usually get half a dozen replies at best. The audacity to call people poorly educated then complain that farmers are fleecing him in a national hay shortage and £15 per week per horse is expensive! I have no suggestions for the OP, I wouldn't dare, though I can see why the OP doesn't like Facebook as abrasive know-it-all doesn't work well on any platform.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
There is no fund, the PDSA and Blue Cross have small animal practices and will help people on certain benefits. They wont treat large animals. The BHS doesnt hand out money for vets bills either. Some charities will take ownership of an animal and have it treated or PTS, but they wont then hand them back to the original owner who cant afford to care for them.

That was my understanding of the situation, PDSA and Blue Cross only doing small animals. RSPCA will only treat if they take them away. I was just asking as OP had said there was help available and I know someone whose job has been decimated through Covid and could do with a fall back position if one were to have an emergency or need the vet. I was hoping OP knew something I didn't. I can see that with Covid, there would be a need, if a load of horses are not going to be PTS.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That was my understanding of the situation, PDSA and Blue Cross only doing small animals. RSPCA will only treat if they take them away. I was just asking as OP had said there was help available and I know someone whose job has been decimated through Covid and could do with a fall back position if one were to have an emergency or need the vet. I was hoping OP knew something I didn't. I can see that with Covid, there would be a need, if a load of horses are not going to be PTS.

I am sure that there is a need but unfortunately there is no fund that I know of. Every responsible horse owner needs to at least have an untouchable £250 available for pts.

Having supported someone through a very long drawn out process to appeal a DLA decrease, despite a terminal diagnosis, I sympathise with OP's predicament but I am afraid that he is going back on my 'virtual ignore' list. I can't be bothered with the attitude and lack of knowledge in the face of some extremely experienced advice.

paddy555

Visit site
Well well well, a simple post asking for a field has kicked off massively. These threads usually get half a dozen replies at best. The audacity to call people poorly educated then complain that farmers are fleecing him in a national hay shortage and £15 per week per horse is expensive! I have no suggestions for the OP, I wouldn't dare, though I can see why the OP doesn't like Facebook as abrasive know-it-all doesn't work well on any platform.

I hadn't read this thread, came in at the end and thought Wow, your post is a bit off. Then I read the whole thread and thought Wow, your post is very moderate. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CD you have obviously never had the responsibility of making hay. Deciding when to cut grass, a terrible decision to have to make. The worry of the next few days turning it, hoping to goodness the forecast for fine weather continues. Then baling and the worrying of trying to get it in the barn before the rain comes. By that stage it is usually around 11pm and you are completely knackered.

If you have actually had experience of doing this then you may well have a little more sympathy for farmers. I quibble about the price of many things in life. I never ever challenge the price of hay. I know the amount of work that has gone into it. :D

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Exactly @paddy555 I would never grudge the cost of hay.
OP must have misread my post commenting on his cheap livery as being about hay.
We all know it's possible to end up in hard times, but we can't all blame others for our misfortune.

You must be pretty gullable if you believe others aren't to blame for our misfortune since most others tend to cause them. ie those being furloughed, I suppose that's their own fault then?

As relentant as I was to order hay bales at £5 each I've done just that. Infact I was happy to do so after finding their qualtiy to be pretty damn good so was worth the asking price. No surprise there I suppose, you get what you pay for as they say. Not to mention the horses really needed it so I had little choice in the matter. But, where there is a will there is a way as they say. Needless to say I found that way and even gained a new decent supplier inwhich I can rely on to deliver me 10.. yes 10 bales and not 30. This buys me a bit of time to shop around or failing that I will simply go back to them for more thereafter should I find a need to do so. But for now, 10 should last them around 20 days, plus the 2 I picked up today which makes 24, so I may not even need anymore anyway.. Which is exactly why I didn't want 30 but of course people are just too eager to jump down people's throats for not wanting to do what they think is right. Once again I remark the fact that alot of you seem pretty arrogant. And if that is hurtful? great! alot of things were said in this thread that were hurtful to me! and as for being defensive? Well since alot of you were clearly aiming to provoke me I was on the defensive myself so if you feel a reason to retaliate over that fact then you only have yourselves to blame for causing it. And if you're offended by what I said to others well that's really your problem, not mine.

Also this thread seems to have turned quite bitter and I will be hitting the report button on a few of the responses I have recieved. I won't be indulging this thread any further. I also won't warn any of you again that if you choose to proceed I will report you for stirring a ruse and harassing me. Needless to say I will simply just do it.

Last edited:

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
The irony of you calling people arrogant is priceless.

The irony that you keep responding with unnecessary provokative comments after being given a warning is even more so. Infact that is more ignorant than arrogant and having the two together is simply the recipe for a trouble maker, not a very good combination, certainly not a desired trait to have.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
CD please don't take this the wrong way, but you seem too sensitive to be on an unmoderated public forum. It just results in thread after thread where you threaten to report people and tell us how much we have upset you. Often in ways that are very insulting to well meaning and/or very experienced horse keepers.

None of the multitude of posts you've threatened to report since you've been on the forum breaks forum t&cs, so The Fat Controller simply won't be interested. If you continue to do it, you may even find its you that gets infraction points or a ban for being a nuisance to the admin team.

paddy555

Visit site
CD, your thread started so well. You asked for help re grazing. If you had kept it at that there would have been no problem.

Instead you move onto arguing and creating a bitter thread. Why do you do it? Pointless. Even if someone now knew of grazing or even had some they wouldn't be offering so it would be you losing out.

People just now see your posts 97 and 100 as a source of amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.