Introducing Lindeza (lin-day-za)

Shady

Visit site
She has come in every morning shaking like a leaf, poor girlie. I don't think she's cold, it seems to be nerves, and she calms down after she has been handled.

I rode her again and she is taking less each time to stand still for the mounting block. It was training and she was a bit 'up' and I was in two minds but I told myself just to get on with it and she was fine. She wanted to trot but accepted being told to walk, and when we did trot her legs were going everywhere! She hasn't got any idea of staying on a track or even on a straight line, she really is just backed.

I love her. I think she is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't see it when I bought her on Saturday, I just saw a nervous horse who could throw me a bunch of problems, but I can now. She's wonderful, a dream come true.

'' I told you so '' about how much you would love her and how quickly it would happen. :) xxx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I feel that you are succumbing to the Spanish magic :) Once you've found the key, they learn like lightning, turn themselves inside out to please, get upset if they can't figure out what you want, and always try, try, try. And of course they are astoundingly beautiful, made in the likeness of angels.......

I've got it. I understand why people say they are different, They are. She has a depth of soul, for want of a better expression, that I have never experienced in a horse before.

Shady

Visit site
Smartass ?
Hehe.
Rob always says Preferido has layers like an onion ! obviously I have made all the Shrek Ogre comparison jokes just to annoy .

I meant to add earlier that all the ones I have met over here ( including ours) like a routine and it's important to them. Preferido loves his stable and absolutely won't stay out at night. I would imagine that Deeza is the same and after 7 years in a certain routine is probably a little thrown by her new one.
I really am so happy for you Ycbm. Listen to you with the soul talk too:D !!!! xxxxx

ycbm

Visit site
Oh don’t do it! I can’t bear the oh she’s lame comments. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Clodagh, it happens every time. Whilst it's possible that I only ride lame horses, I think it's unlikely. I will stick with frame grabs and share video with friends only. Thanks for the reminder!

Roxylola

Visit site
I agree with you Clodagh, it happens every time. Whilst it's possible that I only ride lame horses, I think it's unlikely. I will stick with frame grabs and share video with friends only. Thanks for the reminder!

I actually think that almost any horse unless it's super forward looks lame on film, and I've come to the conclusion that it must be something to do with shutter speed and playback speeds. I honestly think it's at least partially a tech issue.

ycbm

Visit site
She's gorgeous! How wonderful that you have found each other.

Now in your OP you mentioned that there were two...….dare I ask?

If I want another? Definitely not, got my hands full ?

She's eaten up her bucket food for the first time today, with about 1/3 of her minerals in, so I can start increasing those to get her to full dose. It's a terrible cold and wet day so I've put a rug on her, and I tried to do it without a headcollar on. (I've done it in a stable, but this was in the barn), and she's stamped on my foot when I was wearing light shoes. So that's two firsts, eating up and an injury ?

I have a policy of getting on her at least every other day, so I don't let silly fears build up. This is the fourth time of riding, the third time on my own, and this time she only moved away from the step once, then stood like a rock while I got on and waited until I told her to move off. Soon I will be taking her to the steps instead of taking the steps to her.

There was another first today, being touched with a whip to back up my leg. She is very stop-start, the moment anything confuses or unbalances her she slams on the brakes. I'm not even going to start nagging her with my legs, so I touched her bottom about as lightly as it's possible to do it, and she was fine with it, and once I'd done it once, she took the point, and carried on walking at just a small leg aid. Talk about quick learner.

Horses do make you laugh, don't they?

It was freezing, pelting with rain with hail in it and they were on the barn at 6.30 this morning ignoring a trug of straw chop. I went out at nine, gave them some bucket food, tacked her up and took her back into the barn. I walked her about past the various objects I leave in there for them to play with, including an old rug. No reaction, of course, she's seen it for hours every day for the last five days.

But when I got on board and tried to ride past it, it was a different story altogether! Eyes on stalks, backing away as if it was suddenly terrifying just because I was on her. Silly girl :) It didn't take more than a few seconds to persuade her to walk past it, which gives me confidence for when we start to hack.

It couldn't really being going much better with a newly backed horse right now ?

ycbm

Visit site
On the stop-start thing, that'll be your weight shifting - they are incredibly sensitive to the seat. She will learn to ignore it, or you can learn to sit still :) (meant very kindly BTW, not throwing any aspidistras).

I've worked out how to stop her deliberately with my seat, which the OH couldn't even see I was doing. A minute reduction in movement of my pelvis. But I'm doing something so incredibly tiny to make her stop without me meaning her to that I am going to need to desensitise her a tiny bit, but not too much. She did it with their rider too, it's her go-to of she is remotely insecure about anything.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh, and BTW the biggest problem I've encountered with UK riders & Spanish horses is spooking (and that's how I ended up with the horse in my avatar, who was unrideable): if they are feeling any kind of fear from the rider, if they are not confidant in you, they will spook. I have ridden countless hot-as-tabasco fiery horses in Spain, in mad ferias, up the main street of towns; never had one spook, or even seen one do so there. So, all you need is an iron seat, the machismo of a young, hot Spanish man out to impress his mates and nerves/self belief of steel and you're good to go :)

P.S. The horses are brave enough to fight a bull off of, but they have to believe you are too....

ycbm

Visit site
I'm good with that Cortez, she's getting firmly but kindly told that nothing is in any way frightening. We ride on past and forget it, she doesn't get reassured by me because all that does is tell them they are right to be worried. She gets told she's a good girl after she's walked on, not before.

She's a real sweetheart, everything is well ahead of schedule so far. We have walk, stop, trot on, back to walk, basic steering left and right, basic leg yield (essential for road work) and I'm looking forward to the weather being good enough to get back out on the arena to let her go forwards more, because she's very keen to move and the barn is too small.