Introducing the spotty sprog!

Jinx94

Visit site
He's very cute.

The headcollar seems pretty tight on his nose, though. They need adjusting very frequently at this age, and a leather one would be safer.

I know of several adult horses with a permanent 'dint' left by a too tight headcollar when young.

I didn't have his leather headcollar with me unfortunately, otherwise he'd be in that one instead!!

That blue one can't be adjusted anymore, so he will have his new one put on ASAP. I hate the fact that it's nylon, but as yesterday was the first time I've been able to catch him since he arrived, I haven't had a whole lot of choice :/

He looks lovely, how is he bred?

His sire is a lightweight spotted cob called Cornish Jayson, and his dam is Welsh D x cob :)

Ah he is just lovely :) bet that face makes everything worthwhile!

When things go right, it makes everything worthwhile! When he spooks and throws his hind legs at me, it doesn't help so much :L but tbf a few minutes later I forgive him :)

QueenMoo

Visit site
Thank you :)

So proud of him this morning!! I went into the field, called him and clicked my tongue a couple of times which got everyones attention, and he was the first to start walking over! I decided that it would be better to encourage him to approach me rather than approaching him myself.

I was soon swarmed by Yo's 8 month old future eventers, Tristan moved more cautiously and paused a little bit further away before joining the group.

IMG_0109_zpsd49e19ec.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsbf238da7.jpg

I walked away from where I was at that point and stood a bit further away, just wondering if he would come over again or if the first time was a bit of a fluke, and he came and stood within about four feet of me!! This was after carefully considering whether he would be safe leaving the side of the boss filly :p

IMG_0113_zpsbcd4889c.jpg

IMG_0124_zps165da808.jpg

Very very very happy with my little sprog! I'm hoping that he'll feel comfortable standing next to me by the end of the week, not necessarily touching, just standing comfortably :)

Fingers crossed I can pop his leather slip on soon!

My God he's growing quickly!

Jinx94

Visit site
I looked through the photos since he's arrived last night!! I can't believe it - he must have grown a couple of inches in height! He definitely went bum high at one point, then levelled out, then went a little bum high again but seems to have levelled out again :') He's definitely not quite that small in comparison to the others now though!!

Rory's grown tonnes!! I'm looking forwards to the summer pictures that'll be filling facebook soon!!! :D :D

QueenMoo

Visit site
I looked through the photos since he's arrived last night!! I can't believe it - he must have grown a couple of inches in height! He definitely went bum high at one point, then levelled out, then went a little bum high again but seems to have levelled out again :') He's definitely not quite that small in comparison to the others now though!!

Rory's grown tonnes!! I'm looking forwards to the summer pictures that'll be filling facebook soon!!! :D :D

I can't wait to see him in summer, he's so bum high at the moment and super fluffy. He's now bigger than Missy and getting chunky!! Not many photos as the moment as he's just a muddy mess :)

Jinx94

Visit site
I can't wait to see him in summer, he's so bum high at the moment and super fluffy. He's now bigger than Missy and getting chunky!! Not many photos as the moment as he's just a muddy mess :)

That's fantastic! If he's already taller than Missy and not quite a year old yet (?) then he should be a rideable size for you :) He's such a little dude!!

Dr_Horse

Visit site
I did exactly the same with my boy! Looked at his ad time and time again! Decided I didn't like him went to the breeder to look at everything she has, fell in love with him and he arrived 4 days later!!!

Jinx94

Visit site
So, little one is now in a stable! Money has been taken out of savings to top up current livery cost, and I'm already seeing a huge improvement!!

We spent an hour and a half in the field this morning catching him, which might sound like a ridiculously long time to some people, but I was convinced that it was going to take much much longer! He lead up to the barn with very few hiccups and was good as gold walking in and through each section, though going in the stable took some persuasion. He settled really really quickly and has had his face buried in his hay bar for the majority of the day.

The vet was coming out to take bloods from some of his fieldmates and gave him his second lot of vaccinations which went a lot more easily than I expected!! And we also managed to change his head collar!! Unfortunately his head was bigger than I had realised and his leather headcollar was not going to fit. Luckily I had a headcollar that was intended to be used as practise for catching him which was bigger, so he's now looking really smart in that!

IMG_0572_zpss4qyo7pv.jpg

We even have a video! Though I haven't figured out how to imbed it yet!

http://s873.photobucket.com/user/Mo...stan/IMG_0570_zpsg3ozr9ur.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

catroo

Visit site
We'll done, I know it's not what you initially planned but it will make things much easier and doesn't have to be for long.

They grow out of head collars really quick at that age, I always have to take a selection with me when I go and catch mine when they are that age, a couple of weeks between fittings makes a lot of difference.

Jinx94

Visit site
That's great to see. It's so much easier with access to a stable, isn't it.

Thanks for the update.

Apologies for how stressy I got on my other thread - at the time I was just so frustrated and it really was a completely awful day. Even though everyone was trying to help and offer the advice I had asked for, I felt pretty attacked at times but rereading it has proven that I was just reacting badly!

It has already made such a difference!

We'll done, I know it's not what you initially planned but it will make things much easier and doesn't have to be for long.

They grow out of head collars really quick at that age, I always have to take a selection with me when I go and catch mine when they are that age, a couple of weeks between fittings makes a lot of difference.

I don't think I had appreciated just how much he would grow in a month! Luckily the red and black headcollar is pretty roomy for him, so I should just be able to adjust it as he grows over the next couple of months unless it falls apart! If I'm not strict with myself, there'll be more unnecessary headcollars, rugs and other things that he really doesn't need taking over my room!

He's definitely staying in until the farrier has visited, other than that I'll just play it by ear.

catroo

Visit site
Don't turn him out in the nylon one, if leaving a head collar on please only use leather. Youngsters are great at getting in to mischief and he could really hurt himself before the nylon breaks

Jinx94

Visit site
So, remember that near-feral pony I had? Well...

IMG_0574_zpsgcjcbmm7.jpg

IMG_0579_zpsqychjugc.jpg

I am so so proud of my little sprog! He's such a dude!

As well as that, he's been wormed, had some cough medicine, all four feet are picked up with only a little bit of hesitation AND he's leading pretty nicely too!! I feel like I've made almost unbelievable progress as he's only been in fo four days!!

He's having bloods taken next week as three foals at the yard have been diagnosed with Lawsonia. I'm concerned that he may have brought it with him, but he doesn't appear to be affected at all. In fact, it's only the thoroughbred foals that seem to be affected. They have really good appetites but have lost a lot of weight in a fairly short space of time.

We can't think of any other way that it would have been brought to the yard.

The week after next, he has his first farrier visit!

hihosilver

Visit site
So, remember that near-feral pony I had? Well...

IMG_0574_zpsgcjcbmm7.jpg

IMG_0579_zpsqychjugc.jpg

I am so so proud of my little sprog! He's such a dude!

As well as that, he's been wormed, had some cough medicine, all four feet are picked up with only a little bit of hesitation AND he's leading pretty nicely too!! I feel like I've made almost unbelievable progress as he's only been in fo four days!!

He's having bloods taken next week as three foals at the yard have been diagnosed with Lawsonia. I'm concerned that he may have brought it with him, but he doesn't appear to be affected at all. In fact, it's only the thoroughbred foals that seem to be affected. They have really good appetites but have lost a lot of weight in a fairly short space of time.

We can't think of any other way that it would have been brought to the yard.

The week after next, he has his first farrier visit!

wow he is so lovely. He has such a genuine face xxx

Jinx94

Visit site
I have so much love for this little one! I know I keep saying it, but this is the only place that I can properly gush and not get told to shut up!!

Had some issues with turning him back out - was able to get near him for a bit and it was all rather stressful and I had to completely alter my perspective of the situation (thank you so much to everyone who responded to my thread about it! You were a major help and I really appreciate it!) and all the stress/tension etc just melted away. I went back to just enjoying his company and the company of the other horses, and rather than getting stressed or upset when things didn't go as planned, I just laughed! And it's definitely a technique that I will be continuing to use and could recommend it to anyone :p me staying stress free has made everything so much easier

Yesterday I caught him within ten minutes with a bit of "no, don't want to be caught, you can't make me" on Tristan's part. Today, I walked into the field, he was focussed on me and so I stopped about five feet away and just waited to see what happened. He walked straight over, wasn't interested in treats (just snuffling at me!) and I caught him! So proud of my little sprog! He did test me a little once I had caught him, but the half-rears definitely weren't in earnest - if he had wanted to get away from me he could have done so!

Did a bit more walking than usual today too. We walked further away from the herd, he was good as gold. Had hardly any stopping and he was completely relaxed about the whole thing. He walked at my pace, turned when asked, stopped when I stopped - what a dude!! I then did my best to get a bit more fluff out of his coat, and even picked up a hoof! He didn't try to walk away, just moved a little to find his balance, but had had enough so I left it witha scratch on his withers rather than pushing to pick up any of his other hooves too.

I really love my spotty fluff bum baby!!

Jinx94

Visit site
Thought I'd just post a quick update and some pictures :) Tristan is being an absolute star - I can't believe that he's the same pony that arrived tbh!! So many spots are appearing!!

image_zpsgztrwfso.jpg

image_zpsbt4aoood.jpg

image_zpsxipnpfxc.jpg

I know nylon headcollars in the field is not good, but he's fairly close to needing a new headcollar soon and would rather get one that'll last him for a little while

Bernster

Visit site
Cutie. Nice to get updates on people's horses and glad to hear he's making progress. I was interested in your post above about not getting stressed and smiling instead. Had a bit of a stress head this weekend as new horse was v fidgety at dressage clinic, I might need some stress busting tips myself!

Jinx94

Visit site
It sounds daft, and you feel daft when you're doing it, but smiling really does work! Plus I decided to cut out the things that were stressing us out which really really helped. He's now gone from planting and not wanting to go anywhere on the end of a rope to being (almost) a total gent :)

Hopefully you'll find a stress buster that helps you out! And fingers crossed that the fidgeting doesn't continue, or at least not fidgeting to the point that you get stressed! X