Irresponsible Owners

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Didn’t have much time to meet other dogs on our v short holiday (!) but we did meet 2 cockers and a yorkie in the recreational grounds I linked for Lév in the photo thread. One of the cockers should be doing fly ball, straight up on my thigh and away again, leaving lovely red clay paw prints on my clean jeans.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Didn’t have much time to meet other dogs on our v short holiday (!) but we did meet 2 cockers and a yorkie in the recreational grounds I linked for Lév in the photo thread. One of the cockers should be doing fly all, straight up on my thigh and away aga8n, leaving lovely red clay paw prints on my clean jeans.
I met a boxer this morning that ran at me from 100 yards away and ran up me to try to lick my face then twisted and launched away. No scratches but plenty of mud. It was all over the four I had with me, who were sitting up at the side of the path. I got them to heel to walk past and Ffee told it to sod off, one owner said ‘oh don’t let them fight, I’m frightened of dogs’. 😳.
Seeing as when it launched at me they couldn’t see if I had any or not just 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I met a boxer this morning that ran at me from 100 yards away and ran up me to try to lick my face then twisted and launched away. No scratches but plenty of mud. It was all over the four I had with me, who were sitting up at the side of the path. I got them to heel to walk past and Ffee told it to sod off, one owner said ‘oh don’t let them fight, I’m frightened of dogs’. 😳.
Seeing as when it launched at me they couldn’t see if I had any or not just 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Yet has a boxer?! Quite a large dog for someone who’s scared of dogs!

Clodagh

Visit site
Some Boxers don't get so large, but it depends. In my experience they're total goofballs and friendly creatures. Not sure why one would have one if they're afraid of dogs or afraid of training their dog.
It wasn’t that big, I will say, large springer spaniel sized? 11 months old.

ArklePig

Visit site
someone left an unleashed jrt outside the shop today and when I got out of my car it hopped in 😂 I just kind of stared at it for a few mins in disbelief until her owner came out. I don't tie my dog up outside shops but surely that's just negligent? People are wild, I could have easily driven away with her, very friendly little thing.

Clodagh

Visit site
someone left an unleashed jrt outside the shop today and when I got out of my car it hopped in 😂 I just kind of stared at it for a few mins in disbelief until her owner came out. I don't tie my dog up outside shops but surely that's just negligent? People are wild, I could have easily driven away with her, very friendly little thing.
Fodhla would like a terrier to play with.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Guess I'm overdue for one of these, grateful at least not to have had cause to post an incident like this for a good while.

Took Ivy to one of our favourite spots. Into first field and saw a couple with two large dogs. At first thought was XL bully or very fat labs, couldn't work it out. On closer view I'm still not sure but my guess would be some kind of mastiff/bull something but not XL bully. They were like chunky Boxers.

Kicking myself now but opted not to take RoW across the field instead of around it but saw the man pull off the path into a gateway with the on lead dog. I had Ivy on short lead, on side away from them. Didn't realise until too late that the other dog was off lead, stood in middle of path looking at us with the woman not really making any effort to get it on a lead.

Gave them a wide berth, dog on lead is lunging and pulling with all it's might to get to us. Man starts going on about 'he's fine but just had an operation, that's why he's doing it'. Sure... sure it is...

Successfully get past the off lead one thinking we're okay when the bloody thing comes up from behind and then growls and lunges at Ivy! I don't know if this is accurate, but I find that behaviour aggressive. We were past them and on our way, nowhere near their space, there was absolutely no need for that kind of reaction. Then it came up again (I wish OH had stopped it) and then Ivy turned and growled, which I sort of don't blame her given the previous interaction. I just kept her going and thankfully things did not go further.

The stupid woman then started rabbiting on about how her dog 'hasn't done that for 18-months, what a grumpy girl she is sometimes'. No apology, no effort to put a lead on. Then started going on about we might want to be careful as there were 'lots of off lead dogs' in the next fields. As if it was our fault/problem!

We kept on walking, ignoring them because 1 - I can't be arsed with the absolute tripe coming out of both their mouths, and 2 - when she said about us needing to be careful it gave me the rage and getting away from the situation, and their horrid dogs, was priority. Then she was going 'err... hello... excuse me...' Like lady, take the hint, leave us alone and be glad I'm not calling you out on your BS!

We didn't see a single soul in the next three fields 😏

Last edited:

oldandgold

Visit site
Guess I'm overdue for one of these, grateful at least not to have had cause to post an incident like this for a good while.

Took Ivy to one of our favourite spots. Into first field and saw a couple with two large dogs. At first thought was XL bully or very fat labs, couldn't work it out. On closer view I'm still not sure but my guess would be some kind of mastiff/bull something but not XL bully. They were like chunky Boxers.

Kicking myself now but opted not to take RoW across the field instead of around it but saw the man pull off the path into a gateway with the on lead dog. I had Ivy on short lead, on side away from them. Didn't realise until too late that the other dog was off lead, stood in middle of path looking at us with the woman not really making any effort to get it on a lead.

Gave them a wide berth, dog on lead is lunging and pulling with all it's might to get to us. Man starts going on about 'he's fine but just had an operation, that's why he's doing it'. Sure... sure it is...

Successfully get past the off lead one thinking we're okay when the bloody thing comes up from behind and then growls and lunges at Ivy! I don't know if this is accurate, but I find that behaviour aggressive. We were past them and on our way, nowhere near their space, there was absolutely no need for that kind of reaction. Then it came up again (I wish OH had stopped it) and then Ivy turned and growled, which I sort of don't blame her given the previous interaction. I just kept her going and thankfully things did not go further.

The stupid woman then started rabbiting on about how her dog 'hasn't done that for 18-months, what a grumpy girl she is sometimes'. No apology, no effort to put a lead on. Then started going on about we might want to be careful as there were 'lots of off lead dogs' in the next fields. As if it was our fault/problem!

We kept on walking, ignoring them because 1 - I can't be arsed with the absolute tripe coming out of both their mouths, and 2 - when she said about us needing to be careful it gave me the rage and getting away from the situation, and their horrid dogs, was priority. Then she was going 'err... hello... excuse me...' Like lady, take the hint, leave us alone and be glad I'm not calling you out on your BS!

I do get very annoyed when people spout a load of BS excuses as to why their dogs are either downright rude, untrained or just complete PITA's. What the heck has the dog having an operation got to do with anything - maybe the dog shouldn't have been out yet.

Caol Ila

Visit site
One of the park regulars is now called "Mr. I Didn't See Yous."

He regularly walks his two Golden Retrievers in the park. Like, regularly enough that I know who he is, and he probably knows who I am. Or at least he knows that there are often horses.

But every. time. his damn dogs are ahead of him. One is fine, but the other sees the horses and goes ballistic, running at them and barking its head off. Our horses are resigned but not every horse will be. He can eventually recall it, but it takes longer than you'd like. And he's always very apologetic. "Oh, I didn't see yous coming round the corner. If I had, I would have got them." He always says that. He then went on to explain how his younger dog is very anxious. Fine, but unless he has a plan for developing x-ray vision or teaching his bloody dogs to heel, he's not going to see through heavily vegetated corners, is he? If it's anxious and going to do things like run at horses, barking like an idiot, God forbid you keep it on a lead if you can't keep it in sight. FFS.

My hacking buddy was very pleasant and chatty, but I gave him the stone cold silent glare.

Fin also got chased by a 3-legged lab yesterday. Owners were miles behind it and had no clue what it was up to, but if a horse could roll its eyes and say, "Are you f*(7ckin kidding me," he would have done just that. It tailed us for maybe 50m, then ran back to its owners.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I do get very annoyed when people spout a load of BS excuses as to why their dogs are either downright rude, untrained or just complete PITA's. What the heck has the dog having an operation got to do with anything - maybe the dog shouldn't have been out yet.
It was ridiculous. Maybe what he said was true but either way I don't want it to be made my problem.

I'm just grateful we didn't bump into them on the narrow footpath to the fields. If we'd arrived just a few mins later that's probably what would have happened, I think I would have turned round but what a horrible feeling to have a dog behaving like that and turn your back on it!

I love that walk so much as it's just out of town and often very quiet, plus open so you can see in advance where others are and plan accordingly if needed. I don't think I would feel able to go there without my OH now.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

YOU need to be careful when her dogs are the issue? What?!I'm happy to talk to other walkers, but I run away from onlead dogs, don't want my two interacting in case it's recovering/nervous/aggressive. Mitch decided recently that he would take detours to avoid other dogs and has turned into a bit of a wuss, which I'm really happy about, I much prefer it. He took a wide circuit round a path the other day in order to avoid a dog walker with a large doodle thing, it's fine, but he feels intimidated so I'm very happy for him to give it a wide berth. Sensible dog.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
YOU need to be careful when her dogs are the issue? What?!
Yup, hence the rage! I'd understand if Ivy had started it but she was just trundling along minding her own business so that made me especially cross. The only time Ivy perks up and really wants to greet another dog is with other sighthounds. Most others she's either a bit 'meh' about it or totally uninterested.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't know if this is irresponsible or not.

Our yard has a cafe on site that shuts at 5pm.

I was schooling my horse in the outdoor at about 6:30, and a woman drove into the (empty) cafe carpark, took a German shepherd out of car, and wandered off. I didn't recognise her, the dog, or the car. It wasn't a livery. Anyway, I was concentrating on what I was doing so didn't think much of it.

About half hour later, I was cooling my horse out on the gallop track. It goes around the perimeter of a few of our fields. I saw this woman and dog. There's fence on one side and a ditch on the other here, so no way to pass anyone without being at close quarters. I saw that the dog looked spicy. Bouncing around at the horses in fields and me, and the woman with an unconvincing death grip on the lead. I did not want to squeeze past them, so turned and rode out on the road for a short ways. When I came back on the gallop track, they ended up behind me but the woman was giving me lots of space and dragging her dog off another way as soon as we were on the same track.

The good: she was clearly being responsible and trying to avoid us. Dog was on a lead.

The questionable: She's at a bloody livery yard. It seemed as if she was using our track to walk a big, spicy dog, thinking she'd be less likely to run into people/other dogs than in the country park. A kid on a pony or a not-switched-on adult could have come round that corner obliviously and met them on the narrow part of the track. Most people who ride on the gallops aren't on the lookout for random dog walkers, since they're on the yard's property. For that reason, I don't think it's the most sensible place in the world to walk a tricky dog, even if she's allowed to be there as per Scottish Outdoor Access Code, and I don't know if our gallop track is included in that. It's a very grey area.

If you had a dog who could be tricky around livestock, would you walk it on the tracks at a livery yard, even on lead?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If you had a dog who could be tricky around livestock, would you walk it on the tracks at a livery yard, even on lead?
Definitely not, no. I have no idea what Zak and Bear would have been like with horses, they came to the yard once or twice as puppies, got a bit loud and silly no never went again. We took them to one of the far flung fields that had no horses anywhere near one day, just to train, but they were very focused, as ever and we'd checked that the yard dog malxgsd was not out and about-she was very da!

Chippers1

Visit site
Similar to a dog I saw the other day... would you take a muzzled, obviously reactive dog (barking, lunging and snarling at any dog within its vicinity) to a busy wildlife park that allows dogs so there is likely to be a lot of dogs walking around?!

Arzada

Visit site
This one annoyed me a bit.

Having trouble getting your dog in the car is not an excuse to never bother micro chipping them.
And his once hard life being a reason not to put a collar on him (and presumably a harness etc) and therefore no lead so he goes in the road and gets hit by a car and runs off scared and so his hard life continues

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I've heard some shite excuses but that takes the biscuit.

Tonight, a guy, running, with two offleash retrievers about 50 metres behind him, then every so often realising he had vanished and running after him. No doubt these are at least two of the dogs that are contributing to the huge increase in shit along the path, unless he has eyes on his arse and I doubt he'd let a little thing like picking up poo interfere with his PB, but I'm sure he thinks he's a great owner letting his dogs get so much exercise.
This also drove my old dog mad for some reason and he also decided he had to run down the lane too, and then roar at every other dog he saw, despite being 13 and decidedly wobbly. He was the canine Begbie, now he's the canine Father Jack.

Clodagh

Visit site
I've heard some shite excuses but that takes the biscuit.

Tonight, a guy, running, with two offleash retrievers about 50 metres behind him, then every so often realising he had vanished and running after him. No doubt these are at least two of the dogs that are contributing to the huge increase in shit along the path, unless he has eyes on his arse and I doubt he'd let a little thing like picking up poo interfere with his PB, but I'm sure he thinks he's a great owner letting his dogs get so much exercise.
This also drove my old dog mad for some reason and he also decided he had to run down the lane too, and then roar at every other dog he saw, despite being 13 and decidedly wobbly. He was the canine Begbie, now he's the canine Father Jack.
Not really funny but the end bit made me laugh.