Irresponsible Owners

SilverLinings

Visit site
I clump or kick dogs that jump up at me. I’ve said it before but one put my mum in hospital by ripping her arm open with its claws.
That's what really annoys me about owners like that, they have no idea what impairments or weaknesses strangers may have, and also appear to have no idea of the potential strength of their dog. I am not elderly but I had a hip replacement at 30 and it is now coming loose so I fall over easily if knocked (and it will either dislocate or I can't get back up without significant help). They can also injure healthy people even if 'only being friendly'; I have known a healthy middle aged lady get knocked over and break her leg so badly it needed multiple surgeries, and she (quite rightly IMO) sued the dog owner for thousands for lost earnings as she couldn't drive to work for months.

At the very least, who is going to enjoy being made unnecessarily dirty by a stranger's dog?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
People are just really bloody weird sometimes. From how you describe it your dogs were right next to you, so he basically launched a ball at you?
I had this all the time with puss cat! People constantly chucking balls right at us in the park, it was weird! Couple of acres, we just wanted a teeny area to ourselves whilst very obviously training our dogs, game bag, dummies, the lot.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Turn your back on it with your arms folded up out of the way, if you cant manage or don't want to give it a shove.
Call me provocative, but I'd give it a bloody shove! Saying that, in the woods, the vast majority of owners are polite and try to stop their dog jumping up or call them off. Also, I'm dressed for dog walks. Still, Mitch nearly had me over today! I hate to think what would happen if a biggun jumped on me.

skinnydipper

Visit site
no, putting it in the garden but there's no fence unfortunately.

Would something like this be any good?

Last edited:

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Just back from the van with the girls. Go to a dog friendly beach every day. Youngster has decided that chasing seagulls that are flying is marvellous fun 🙄😀 she is so funny. Recall pretty good but am always scanning the beach and try to keep to out of the way of others.

This time on 2 separate occasions we came across people who ride their mobility scooter to the end of the prom, then let dogs off to do their own thing on the beach! 1 tbf was good, it was a Cockerpoo and went to the sea had a splash about and then came straight back. However,the other one a Patterdale cross type kept trying to hump mine and despite her calling it off it just came back trying for more! She seemed to find it funny! Unusually for me I just put mine on leads and walked away!

One day we'd paddled in the sea and all 3 of us sat on blanket drying off. 2 Frenchies decided to join us despite the best attempts of their owning to get them back. Poor things struggled to breathe as was so hot. I actually lifted one up by its harness and gently threw it off my rug in her direction! At least the owner apologised.

With bigger dogs I knee them in the chest if they jump up.

Another random lady had a go at me because I was telling the girls to be quiet, and kept saying oh they are just dogs being dogs it's what they do you know. She then said that a man in the sand dunes had asked her if she wanted sex!! I couldn't find him 😂😂

I don't know what's worse, people, children or dogs, hence why we go away in June!

The stress of agility will be much easier 😁

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That's what really annoys me about owners like that, they have no idea what impairments or weaknesses strangers may have, and also appear to have no idea of the potential strength of their dog. I am not elderly but I had a hip replacement at 30 and it is now coming loose so I fall over easily if knocked (and it will either dislocate or I can't get back up without significant help). They can also injure healthy people even if 'only being friendly'; I have known a healthy middle aged lady get knocked over and break her leg so badly it needed multiple surgeries, and she (quite rightly IMO) sued the dog owner for thousands for lost earnings as she couldn't drive to work for months.

At the very least, who is going to enjoy being made unnecessarily dirty by a stranger's dog?
My balance is crap, my knee doesn’t do well if it’s knocked. Not elderly either but couldn’t fancy being knocked down by a big dog.

SilverLinings

Visit site
My balance is crap, my knee doesn’t do well if it’s knocked. Not elderly either but couldn’t fancy being knocked down by a big dog.
I had a 'friend' whose fat labrador would always leap at me and knock me off balance so that I had to grab hold of something. The owner would then tell me that it was my fault as I just had to 'wallop' the dog with my knee and she would stop*, this is despite the fact that I had explained to her multiple times that I would loose my balance if I took a foot off the floor and tried to make contact with a body nearly as heavy as mine and moving at speed. Funnily enough they aren't a friend anymore, I became too busy to ever see them again.

*the dog did this to everyone, not just me, and I'd seen other people trying to stop it with their knee and it made no difference.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hacking alone (of course!), I saw a couple with a big Rhodesian Ridgeback looking thing headed my way and stopped the horse. I stayed put and glared at them, which I find is the most effective way to get people to put dogs on leads.

The chap said, "Do you want me to put him on a lead?"

"Yes, please," I said. "That would be very nice."

The couple attempted to leash the dog, but it wove and dodged away from their attempts to catch it. Meanwhile, they were getting closer and closer to us, and I wasn't really liking the look of this damn animal. I can read a dog pretty well.

The chap, looking flustered and fed up after his failed attempts to catch his dog, said, "I guess we can send him off."

What? I thought.

A second later, they used their ball flinger to lob a ball past the horse, and the dog went firing after it. I mean, yeah, it worked. The dog was now in front of me, much more interested in his ball than the horse, and the owners scurrying after it.

Luckily for me, my horse did not spook or react to the flying ball and the dog flying after it. But still.

I kept the horse in a 'stand' until they'd all buggered off. Then we continued on our way.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Hacking alone (of course!), I saw a couple with a big Rhodesian Ridgeback looking thing headed my way and stopped the horse. I stayed put and glared at them, which I find is the most effective way to get people to put dogs on leads.

The chap said, "Do you want me to put him on a lead?"

"Yes, please," I said. "That would be very nice."

The couple attempted to leash the dog, but it wove and dodged away from their attempts to catch it. Meanwhile, they were getting closer and closer to us, and I wasn't really liking the look of this damn animal. I can read a dog pretty well.

The chap, looking flustered and fed up after his failed attempts to catch his dog, said, "I guess we can send him off."

What? I thought.

A second later, they used their ball flinger to lob a ball past the horse, and the dog went firing after it. I mean, yeah, it worked. The dog was now in front of me, much more interested in his ball than the horse, and the owners scurrying after it.

Luckily for me, my horse did not spook or react to the flying ball and the dog flying after it. But still.

I kept the horse in a 'stand' until they'd all buggered off. Then we continued on our way.

I had similar when I was man trailing with my GSD, a couple with a working cocker they couldn't catch decided the best thing to do was to lob a ball straight past us so my poor dog had a ball and a dog flying past her, amazingly she ignored them and carried on working.

Smitty

Visit site
GSD owners. It is not a personal attack on you when I am scared of your dog. If your dog runs at me barking, I will be absolutely terrified. I don't know how I will react, I may even scream. No, I can't pull myself together, I am petrified.

So, to the absolute tool in St Ives yesterday who got irritated when I said shit! because his large hairy GSD brushed up against me, have some empathy. And yes, I know I have a dog, he's mine, small and I'm comfortable with him. If someone were scared of him, I would be mortified I had allowed him to make them feel that way.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
GSD owners. It is not a personal attack on you when I am scared of your dog. If your dog runs at me barking, I will be absolutely terrified. I don't know how I will react, I may even scream. No, I can't pull myself together, I am petrified.

So, to the absolute tool in St Ives yesterday who got irritated when I said shit! because his large hairy GSD brushed up against me, have some empathy. And yes, I know I have a dog, he's mine, small and I'm comfortable with him. If someone were scared of him, I would be mortified I had allowed him to make them feel that way.

I'm sorry someone made you feel like that. As a GSD owner I certainly don't take it personally if someone is wary of my dog, and I wouldn't be happy if a dog ran at me barking. With some of my more gentle dogs I have often helped people get over their fear of the breed, my current girl probably wouldn't be much good as she is far too exuberant about life! 😳

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
How the f*ck?!

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WDAF) — The Savannah (Missouri) Police Department confirmed on Monday that one of its K-9 officers died last Thursday after being left in a hot car overnight.

According to Savannah Chief of Police David Vincent, K-9 Officer Horus died after completing his overnight patrol shift in the small town where he had served for over three years."

Edit: this is somewhat local to me. So not just random from the internet.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It happened here too, iirc there were 2 of them in the van (albeit during the day)

Christ. I get mad when regular citizens do this, but even moreso when it's the police. I don't know all of the details behind this one, but such a thing should get you banned as a canine handler at minimum, IMO.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Would something like this be any good?

I'm making some adjustments to the boat, so the dogs can be outside on the deck with railings round them and then water between them and everyone else. I have just about had it with other peoples psychotic dogs. I very, very, very nearly got bitten a couple of days ago, so close I felt its jaws clack on my shoulder and the only reason it didn't get me, is my younger dog leapt up and barreled into its side and knocked it enough out of the way it missed. I was walking past the damn thing on the tow path, my dogs behind me as I'd seen it coming, didn't like its body language and stepped in front of them. It really rattled me. Its not a big space, esp now its very overgrown, so don't bring your damn dog here if you cant control it. It was on a lead as well, but so big and powerful it nearly had its woman owner over. apparently it doesn't like other dogs, but that doesn't excuse it trying to bite me when mine are behind me minding their own business. But I am glad she did at least have a lead on it, as Im certain its next move would have been to attack my dogs, esp after Cooper had launched into its side. I'm not sure what she would have done if mine were bigger or had decided to properly go after hers. There would have been carnage. As it was she dragged it away on its back legs and I sent mine down the path out of harms way.

And this was another black lab with an enormous head. Apparently there's a breeder locally churning out these huge labs, big block heads and awful temperaments. I don't know if they have something else in the mix, but I have genuinely never seen a lab with a head that big till I came here, and never know them be so actively nasty.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I had similar when I was man trailing with my GSD, a couple with a working cocker they couldn't catch decided the best thing to do was to lob a ball straight past us so my poor dog had a ball and a dog flying past her, amazingly she ignored them and carried on working.

The ball lobbing thing was a...creative...solution to the problem. :rolleyes:

I always know when I'm going to have a bit of an issue when I see a dodgy-looking off-lead dog, stop the horse (with the view that if you're not moving, you look less like prey, plus standing and scowling in the middle of the trail works wonders on the owners), and then see an "Oh... shit" look in the owner's eyes. They know their dog is a pain to catch quickly and put on a lead, and they were really hoping to not see anything/anyone who would require them to do that.

Conversely, other dog owners see you, and they are calm and confident when they recall their dogs. Even before the dog has responded, I'm reasonably sure that they'll catch it, and it won't be a problem.

In good news, Mugdock Park has put wee signs everywhere saying it's a multi-use park, and the signs have graphics of a horse, as well as a cyclist, a person with a kid, and a dog walker. You would not think a wee sign would do anything, but I've had fewer incidents with dogs since they appeared. Not none, of course, because there are always idiots, but I think it's made a difference and cut down on the "sorry, but I didn't expect to see a horse" crowd, which has been a bit of a nuisance. I mean, if you have half a brain, you can see hoofprints and poo suggesting that horses use the park, but most people don't have half a brain. But they notice a wee sign.

Now if only the Stirling Council can be a*rsed puttng up signs on the roads.......