Irresponsible Owners

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
So I heard my young dog going biccies and heard a male voice outside, a man with a retriever bellowing SIT and NO and jabbing his finger in the dog's face, right outside my gate. He could hear fine rightly that my dog was barking and kept looking at the garage door (kennels are in garage). Soon moved off when he realised I was standing in my living room window staring at him. What a weirdo.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Just wanted to cheer up this thread a bit. Went for a beach hack this morning and every single dog walker was fantastic. They all got hold of their dogs and/or put them on leads as we approached. It was great to see folks sharing the space sensibly and considerately.

Some of the drivers on the way to the beach, however, were much less sensible and considerate!

Jenko109

Visit site
I've heard it all now.

So I'm at a hotel for a training day with work.

The trainer has just told us that she has a border collie who is obsessed with balls. Fine. Not usual.

She then proceeded to tell us that the dog is so obsessed with balls that it likes to watch football on the tv screen and will chase the ball around the screen. She said that the dog watches THREE FOOTBALL MATCHES A DAY!

So by my calculations, that dog is practicing obsessive compulsive behaviours for four and a half hours a day.

I am just so shocked that someone would think that's okay and to think it's a funny story to tell strangers.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
I've heard it all now.

The trainer has just told us that she has a border collie who is obsessed with balls. Fine. Not usual.

She then proceeded to tell us that the dog is so obsessed with balls that it likes to watch football on the tv screen and will chase the ball around the screen. She said that the dog watches THREE FOOTBALL MATCHES A DAY!

So by my calculations, that dog is practicing obsessive compulsive behaviours for four and a half hours a day.

I am just so shocked that someone would think that's okay and to think it's a funny story to tell strangers.

Like children plonked in front of the telly, I guess if gets him out of her hair for a while.

Also people falsely equate
'oh he loves it' = 'it's good for him'

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My little terrier could be ball obsessed and she is only allowed to chase the ball occasionally, she has to sit to start with otherwise she gets manic. It’s not good for their minds or their joints to continually chase anything. That collie can only watch the football if the human turns it on , I dread to think what that dogs brain is like …

ArklePig

Visit site
The collie watching football...wow.

A colleague told me recently her dog hates when they go out to work, so he hides upstairs because he knows - going into utility room = being left alone. She told me, while laughing, her husband got out the dogs collar and lead to get him excited enough to come downstairs and into the utility room. I just thought poor bastard, and also way to replace a happy association with a negative one. I wouldn't have been so shocked if she hadn't thought it was so funny.

Arzada

Visit site
I've heard it all now.

Let's hope that you have a feedback form to complete so you can put this in writing to her

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Got approached by my neighbour's Briard this morning while I was cycling back from feeding the horses. Got told "Oh, he's fine". Well he isn't really, I've had to stop peddling in case your massive dog sniffing my leg decides that movement equals chase and bite. I know the dog and owner in passing and that dog has no nerve, it's scared of everything and the day that comes out as aggression, I don't want to be on the receiving end of it. Dog's owner seems to be allergic to leads and never even carries one, the dog is often tens of meters in front of him in the village and he never even checks before opening the garden gate to let it out (met the dog that way before while cycling past) which seems like a great way to get the dog hit by a car/the school bus/a tractor/kill me by knocking me off my bike. The dog has scared the living daylights out of my sister before when she was pushing my baby nephew in a pram and it growled at her with no owner in sight. I wish the idiot would just put it on a lead in the village, it's not as if there aren't plenty of quiet lanes with good visibility a short walk away.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Same neighbour, same Briard, same issue.
This time, I actually said "please keep him away from me" to be told "he's all right". So I just repeated, "he's not all right. Please keep him away from me when I'm cycling". I don't want to get into an argument with my neighbour, who has been known to be very confrontational where his dog is concerned, but I'm cycling on a public road where I should be safe from massive dogs. I also don't think people are aware of how much it can cost them if their dog causes an accident. Here in France, if your dog causes someone to be totally signed of from work for over 3 months, the owner risks up to 3 years in prison and 45 000€ fine. That is on top of any compensation their insurance would have to pay out (most dogs are covered by house insurance in France and nearly everyone has house insurance).

Jenko109

Visit site
. Here in France, if your dog causes someone to be totally signed of from work for over 3 months, the owner risks up to 3 years in prison and 45 000€ fine. That is on top of any compensation their insurance would have to pay out (most dogs are covered by house insurance in France and nearly everyone has house insurance).

Wow. How good is that.

Be more France.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Wow. How good is that.

Be more France.
The rules are actually quite good. Luckily, I have never had the opportunity to find out how well they work in reality.
There are very few mitigating circumstances: shared responsibility of the victim or a "major unpredictable event" (maybe an earthquake?..)
And there are "aggravating factors" that make the penalties go up and even more so if there are two or more worsening factors. I love that one of the aggravating factors is that the dogs behaviour is the result of its mistreatment by the owner. So if you have been beating your dog and it bites someone badly, your are risking a longer sentence and a larger fine.
Of course sentences are higher if the dog actually kills someone, making it involuntary manslaughter. There you risk between 5 and 10 years in prison with a 75 000 to 150 000€ fine depending on the number of aggravating factors.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Braving the vet waiting room with the cat for annual jabs. It’s much less fraught taking the dog.

Cat is travelled in a covered robust vet approved metal travel cage.

I first go into reception without the cat to book her in and to ask if ok to leave cat in car til I’m called. Reception want me to bring her in now, but point out the quiet cat waiting area. Doberman appears from consulting room towing owner along and I get sniffed and slobbered over.

I go to my car to get cat as Doberman is put into travel cage in back of their car. Owner leaves tailgate open. Checking dog is restrained, I lift the cat cage out and cross to reception carrying cat cage. Doberman escapes from car and owner and bounces up behind me and all over me and cat as I try and swing cat cage high to protect cat.

I’m still recovering from Covid bout #4 and have intermittent balance issues, was lucky not to be taken out. Cat was ok. She’s used to dogs but who needs that.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Braving the vet waiting room with the cat for annual jabs. It’s much less fraught taking the dog.

I first go into reception without the cat to book her in and to ask if ok to leave cat in car til I’m called. Reception want me to bring her in now, but point out the quiet cat waiting area. Doberman appears from consulting room towing owner along and I get sniffed and slobbered over.

I go to my car to get cat as Doberman is put into travel cage in back of their car. Owner leaves tailgate open. Checking dog is retrained, I lift the cat out and cross to reception carrying cat cage. Doberman escapes from car and owner and bounces up behind me and all over me and cat as I try and swing cat cage high to protect cat.

I’m still recovering from Covid bout #4 and have intermittent balance issues, was lucky not to be taken out. Cat was ok. She’s used to dogs but who needs that.

My 17 year old cat has high blood pressure so has to have regular bp checks. I was at the vets (might be the same one) a couple of months ago with her and a man came in with a spaniel off lead. Damn thing proceeded to dash over and start sniffing round the cat carrier, so I'm afraid I wasn't too polite asking him to call it away. He couldn't so ended up with a nurse having to stand between dog and cat! Turns out he had only come in to collect a prescription so don't know why he even had the b****y dog with him. Cat's bp was ok but I suspect mine would have been high :)

CorvusCorax

Visit site
Bit raging, the owner of a red collie that has had beef with my old dog since an incident when we moved here almost ten years ago, was so busy on her phone that she allowed it (on leash!) to come around behind my (now elderly) dog and snap at him from the rear, I actually felt it brush my legs, shady little coward would never bite from the front. No word of apology, just 'Dog'sName Dog'sName Dog'sName'.

She got a very loud "REALLY??" from me.

Did it again just now. Right outside my house. She put the leash on it at the last minute and still allowed it to leap about a metre and come up behind him again and snap at his rear legs again. I actually shouted at her 'There's no need for this and the dog is far too old to put up with this'. Not a sorry or anything.

The next time I see her, I'll be telling her if she can't control the dog I'll do it for her.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site

I go to my car to get cat as Doberman is put into travel cage in back of their car. Owner leaves tailgate open. Checking dog is restrained, I lift the cat cage out and cross to reception carrying cat cage. Doberman escapes from car and owner and bounces up behind me and all over me and cat as I try and swing cat cage high to protect cat.

That sounds horrible! Sorry to hear it happened. I would find it quite scary having a big dog run and jump up at me like that.

Amymay Again

Visit site
Did it again just now. Right outside my house. She put the leash on it at the last minute and still allowed it to leap about a metre and come up behind him again and snap at his rear legs again. I actually shouted at her 'There's no need for this and the dog is far too old to put up with this'. Not a sorry or anything.

The next time I see her, I'll be telling her if she can't control the dog I'll do it for her.
Why so polite?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site

Think I might have 'accidently' kicked it.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
Always the way! I'm usually just pleased in these situations if I can get a coherent sentence out. It surprises me every time 😂

Yep I'm surprised I shouted what I did instead of turning into a jibbering mess. What complicates it is, as usual with all these people, she knows where I live, if I give her dog a boot in the head, and that her father and my best friend's father are best mates. I know who she is (because her Dad told me she lives on my street and has a dog of the same name and description) but I doubt she knows who I am.

Indy

Visit site

Lots of sweary words would have sprung forth if that would have been me. Rational always seems to catch up about 2 days later

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I was chilling in the car today in a small carpark , eating my sandwich with the door open. Suddenly a large, wet, hairy, over exuberant dog leapt into my lap. "Wrong car" shouted its owners and it bounced out again and into their boot.
Good job I had just come from the stables and didn't have my good clothes on.

skinnydipper

Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That’s the attitude from numptie owners I get all the time when I go out with the JRT on the lead 🙄.

It’s not the uncontrolled off lead dog’s fault that mine doesn’t like being bounced about over, apparently.

My language is much less polite than that from the woman with the two on leads dogs in that clip.