Irresponsible Owners

Smitty

Visit site
Saw this and made me feel quite sick. Is this really what military dogs have to go through? Or is this just an owner taking it too far.

Is this USA or UK? not that it makes any difference, it's still hard to watch, and I only managed about 1 min, but surprised it's allowed, particularly if UK.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
The person who posted the video, who is not necessarily in the video, looks to be based in South Africa.
There's later footage of dog and handler in combat gear in training/at an airport so don't know if it's real or cosplay, there's a lot of spoofers about.
They don't look to be the strongest dogs in the world at a casual glance.

While it's not nice to watch/isn't great training, people need to be realistic about the terrains and situations that military working dogs are expected to survive in and what they have to deal with in the field. They may well have to shinny across an unstable surface in the dark/obstructed by debris etc etc.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
This is a words fail me one! Daughter has just got a lurcher puppy, gorgeous little thing but obviously still getting used to everything a new home entails. The breeder set up a puppy Whats App group and has just posted that one of the litter has been returned by her new owners because "she would not settle" , they'd had her 3 days :mad:
I wish I could say I was shocked, but saw the other day a dog returned to the charity after 48hours because it snored!

Jenko109

Visit site
I think people underestimate just how much work a puppy is.

I always get puppy blues. Even though I know exactly what to expect and have had plenty of puppies. I still struggle through that initial adjustment period where I have to make lifestyle changes and structure my whole life around a puppy.

I think most new puppy owners that have never had a puppy before will find it a bit overwhelming. But you knuckle down. You get on with it. You accept that you have taken stewardship over this puppy and you graft through the hard times.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Every time I get a puppy I am fearful .
Fearful that I won’t be good enough that I won’t be able to train him or her that it all be a big disaster .
It wakes me at night I lie and worry .
Getting a puppy is hard work producing the adult is hard work but it’s the best fun .
I think some people just fail to understand it .
Some get into it ,learn fast and muddle through others fail it’s best if they fail quickly and the dog gets another chance

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m cross. I took Goose to a different section of the woods, thinking he was bored yesterday, he didn’t venture far from me seemed subdued. Bored, or hot, maybe? He was back on form today but we unfortunately crossed 2 dog walkers with 6 or 7 dogs, one of who promptly jumped on his back and started humping. The dog walker uselessly called him but didn’t approach. I had to haul the effing lump off! It was twice the size of poor little Goose. I walked away saying ‘Useless! Get your bloody dog off mine’. So cross. It happens, I know, but at least do something about it 🤬 Fortunately Goose just cracked on with sniffing everything and didn’t seem bothered. Grr.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Just seen this on local fb page: 😥

A French Bulldog has collapsed and no doubt died today on the Sabrina boat. After being dragged around the Quarry in this blazing heat, he was then forced to endure an hour boat ride where he sadly collapsed and was fitting and foaming at the mouth.
The staff were crying and trying to save him, but he was unresponsive by the time the boat ride ended.
What an absolutely horrific way to die. Body starved of oxygen, gasping for breath, and organ failure. He must have been so desperate
😭
💔
The owner even snapped at the poor young waitress when she offered him water and said he'd 'had plenty'.
I don't know how many more times!! STOP WALKING YOUR DOGS IN THIS **** HEAT!!!!

It has been really hot today, my dogs have just been lying in the shade in the garden or back in the house .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Just seen this on local fb page: 😥

A French Bulldog has collapsed and no doubt died today on the Sabrina boat. After being dragged around the Quarry in this blazing heat, he was then forced to endure an hour boat ride where he sadly collapsed and was fitting and foaming at the mouth.
The staff were crying and trying to save him, but he was unresponsive by the time the boat ride ended.
What an absolutely horrific way to die. Body starved of oxygen, gasping for breath, and organ failure. He must have been so desperate
😭
💔
The owner even snapped at the poor young waitress when she offered him water and said he'd 'had plenty'.
I don't know how many more times!! STOP WALKING YOUR DOGS IN THIS **** HEAT!!!!

It has been really hot today, my dogs have just been lying in the shade in the garden or back in the house .
Which is why I’m getting up extra early so my dogs walk is finished before it gets hot. If for any reason I didn’t get up early enough they would either get 15mins in the shade or no walk at all

Caol Ila

Visit site
It’s blowing a hoolie today but hacking anyway. Spaniel appears out of nowhere under my horse’s feet. I jump more than she does (because she’s a star). Spaniel is more traumatised than I am and runs in the opposite direction. We carry on, thinking we’ll see the owner. We don’t, and dog disappears into the forest. From a distant trail, we hear shouting and whistling, like someone has lost a dog. This carries on for a while.

Hope the chap found his dog.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Not so much irresponsible as annoying but we fairly often see a dog on one of our routes which I don't think is an XL bully but also wouldn't surprise me if it measured in as one. The owners actually seem like nice people, they have it on a double-ended lead, but every single time we see it, it completely fixes on us and they just seem quite oblivious. They keep it on it's lead which is great but also don't seem to make much effort to make space between them and other dogs. This is a pet peeve of mine for owners of reactive dogs of any size (looking at you sausage dog people!) and is worse when it's large dogs.

Today we crossed the street and despite being the other side of parked cars on both sides of the street plus the double lane width between the parked cars, it still started barking at us. If I didn't have Ivy with me I wanted to go up and say 'you seem nice and like you love your dog but do you realise it's actually quite intimidating to be stared down and barked at by a dog of that size?!'

CorvusCorax

Visit site
The other day, guy with two obese, lame labs, one old, one young, batting a ball for them on the other side of a fence as I try to get mine past. This has happened before, one of the dogs ran up to their side of the fence barking and my dog went ballistic. I can remember him so he should theoretically remember me.
I prepare myself in the underpass, have food in my hand, start to heel her past, she is venting strongly but still eating out of my hand.
THWOCK off goes the ball, off go the fat labs past her.
Says me: THANKS SO MUCH, THAT'S SUPER HELPFUL!
She did keep her cool, just about, even though I didn't. I do think some men think it's funny when they see someone struggling/working on something with a dog to try and mess them up, must make them feel very macho or something, or they just weren't taught manners.

And for the local cat owners who let their pets roam in an urban area, especially at night, the only reason your cats are alive is because I keep my dog on a leash (including in her own garden). It's now a daily occurrence that we have a near miss either on my property or in the lane.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
If a cat comes in my garden it has to take its chance, there is no way I’m restricting my dogs in my own, well fenced garden. If the cat owner is worried about the safety of their cat then they need to cat proof their own garden so it can’t roam. Personally I think cats shouldn’t be allowed to roam freely and kill the birds and crap in other peoples ga4dens, apart from also roam8ng around at night and upsetting other peoples dogs. Can you tell I have a cat that comes in my garden at night and sets my dogs off barking. And if anyone says it’s not fair to stop cats roaming freely , it’s not fair that I can’t let my dogs go in other peoples gardens, I’m sure they would love to roam free ..

CorvusCorax

Visit site
My front wall is very low and my young dog can and has scaled 6ft fencing more than once. I've never been one to put a dog out in the garden without supervision anyway.

If I 'wasn't so accomodating' I'd either have someone's dead pet on my hands or a dead dog, either from chasing to the point of exhaustion or running blindly in front of a vehicle, etc etc. On leash is safer for everyone, but if others kept their pets under control, it would be MUCH less stressful.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I do check no cats in garden before I open back door. We have 6ft plus fencing all around back garden. Front garden, like you, just a low wall, but dogs aren’t allowed out there.

Dogs only have run of garden when one of us is home to keep an eye out.

We’ve also had cats in the past. All were kept in overnight.

CorvusCorax

Visit site
If your own garden can’t contain your own dogs then keeping them on the lead is the responsible action.

I’d be dog proofing the garden and letting any incoming non resident cats take their chances.

It's a rental property, can't really be doing that, especially as it would require fences over six foot high fronting onto a public footpath and preferably a roof.

I write out a long boring post about prey drive, but long story short, she would have the propensity to get fixated/obsessional if given free rein to chase small furry things so I'd rather just keep her on a line and vent 😂
I know a dog closely related that is obsessed with the rabbits at the bottom of the garden, it's head is addled, runs the fence all day and stares out the window looking for them.

Even at that, the cats that have had near misses (one on the back step, three times) don't seem to have been put off by being centimeters away from clacking teeth.

Last edited:

Titchy Pony

Visit site
It's a rental property, can't really be doing that, especially as it would require fences over six foot high fronting onto a public footpath and preferably a roof.

I write out a long boring post about prey drive, but long story short, she would have the propensity to get fixated/obsessional if given free rein to chase small furry things so I'd rather just keep her on a line and vent 😂
I know a dog closely related that is obsessed with the rabbits at the bottom of the garden, it's head is addled, runs the fence all day and stares out the window looking for them.

Even at that, the cats that have had near misses (one on the back step, three times) don't seem to have been put off by being centimeters away from clacking teeth.
The cats around you don't sound very bright.
When I first moved in here, it was cat central, the elderly neighbour with dementia was feeding around two dozen next door. Monster treed two cats and chased a few more out of the garden and since then the cats seem to have figured out when it's safe to be in my garden or not. One of them leaves me the occasional present but I never see her in the garden. Luckily any normally constituted cat can get out under the two gates into the orchard or over the wood pile to next door. Monster, though physically capable of scaling gate or wall, is not inclined to do so. The dogs aren't in the garden when I'm not home.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I am left wondering this morning on what planet is it a good idea to let your dog harearse the length of a cricket pitch up to an on-lead dog that the owner is very obviously and actively trying to keep engaged and away from you.

Yes the training is paying off and large dog was completely nonchalant about it but that’s still not a given and I refuse to have 12 months of bloody hard work undone by one idiot. I did shout. I hope I’ve ruined her morning by doing so, even if she thinks I’m an unreasonable cow. 😏

Unrelated but the footpaths immediately around town are completely littered with crap these last few weeks, more than I’ve ever known, to the point that some stretches stink on a hot day. Why suddenly so grim, do people walk more in the school holidays or something?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I spent yesterday's walk dodging a pair of annoying looking doodly dogs, who had bounded up on another dog that objected. Bit annoying but it's a fairly easy location to do the dodging!

On the other hand, we saw a very lively young Visla on lead getting excited about everything and although I don't like to see halters on dogs it was really nice to see this being paired with some actual training so well done that person!

Also thought we were going to get a big Lab bounding up as they came out of a gate before I had time to move away. Despite the close proximity, the Lab did a beautiful 'heel' on command, leaving Ivy to walk alongside us minding her own.

Esmae

Visit site
It would seriously piss me off if my dogs couldn't use 'their' garden because random cats were in it, and don't think I'd be as accommodating as @CorvusCorax
One met it's end in mine when I had greyhounds. I didn't see it or would have gone shoo before I let them out. Unfortunately they did see it and that was that. It was awful. The whippets would chase the one that used to come in but the cockerel put paid to it's little rambles. Chased it out good style! It hasn't been back since.