Irresponsible Owners

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Got a phone call from my very upset Granddad this morning saying an overexcited labradoodle ran over, jumped on and knocked over his nearly 16 year old arthritic Labrador! He had to grab it and hold it until owners made an appearance, he’s in his eighties so not easy for him to keep hold of a large bouncy dog. Poor old lab was completely flattened and struggled to get back up. Owners eventually walked over, said “oops” and gave their dog a treat!
Your poor Granddad, that could have ended so badly with him being knocked over, broken hip etc and his dog being old could be badly damaged. These sort of inconsiderate people make me see red.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
1 big goal ticked this morning.
The 3 badly trained lab x dunno breed black dogs came through the only fence from the common and bounded into the yard, P dog was luckily rootling in the hay store so kicked door shut on her.
Raced over and with happy 'come on guys' noises, I got all 3 into an empty stable and shut them in, called next but 1 YO and she raced over in her work vehicle - as she has had trouble too from them but none of us has caught them yet.... they chase anything, been seen worrying horses in fields.

We waited all of 10 mins before we heard owner in the distance bellowing (never seen him, often heard him). Waited till he came close and enquired as to what he was looking for.
He was very shocked and angry when I told him they were with the dog warden as not only were they out of control in a public area, but had also been worrying livestock. (I have caution livestock sign on my gate). YO next but 1 was in her work uniform.....and she walked round out of my yard.
She read him the legal riot act, then when she found he didnt even possess a lead on him, told him dogs were impounded, it was going to cost him to redeem them! Over £100 for each dog, plus cost of microchipping as none were done. All 3 dogs were in her work vehicle...... separate travel cage each.....
I then skedaddled off. Apparently he paid up by card for each one, she chipped each one and noted numbers on system, plus sold him 3 leads at £1 each. He's been warned never to let them loose again in a public area and she would put this on file , nice one!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The 3 badly trained lab x dunno breed black dogs came through the only fence from the common and bounded into the yard, P dog was luckily rootling in the hay store so kicked door shut on her.
Raced over and with happy 'come on guys' noises, I got all 3 into an empty stable and shut them in, called next but 1 YO and she raced over in her work vehicle - as she has had trouble too from them but none of us has caught them yet.... they chase anything, been seen worrying horses in fields.

We waited all of 10 mins before we heard owner in the distance bellowing (never seen him, often heard him). Waited till he came close and enquired as to what he was looking for.
He was very shocked and angry when I told him they were with the dog warden as not only were they out of control in a public area, but had also been worrying livestock. (I have caution livestock sign on my gate). YO next but 1 was in her work uniform.....and she walked round out of my yard.
She read him the legal riot act, then when she found he didnt even possess a lead on him, told him dogs were impounded, it was going to cost him to redeem them! Over £100 for each dog, plus cost of microchipping as none were done. All 3 dogs were in her work vehicle...... separate travel cage each.....
I then skedaddled off. Apparently he paid up by card for each one, she chipped each one and noted numbers on system, plus sold him 3 leads at £1 each. He's been warned never to let them loose again in a public area and she would put this on file , nice one!

Result ! This is what more people need to do with repeat offenders. There was a labrador up the road who was always wandering. I suggested to one person who was always returning it that next time she kept it and contacted dog warden , sadly the dog was run over and killed before this could happen.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Result ! This is what more people need to do with repeat offenders. There was a labrador up the road who was always wandering. I suggested to one person who was always returning it that next time she kept it and contacted dog warden , sadly the dog was run over and killed before this could happen.
Yes, YO next but 1 advises people catch the dog if safe to do and call dog warden.
Paying over £100 in this area per dog does make some think.
Apparently tho, most of her dog catching over the past 18 months is dogs under 2 and foreign rescues, some of the latter which dont even have a UK chip or any chip in them. She's v angry about that.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
What a result FF!!
It was! I'm pretty sure it was those 3 that pulled down a fallow hind at the end of last week, but couldn't prove it. I've previously used the lunge whip on them to get them out the yard a fortnight ago. Poor little P dog doesn't stand a chance, so I keep her even more close in the mornings to me.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Got a phone call from my very upset Granddad this morning saying an overexcited labradoodle ran over, jumped on and knocked over his nearly 16 year old arthritic Labrador! He had to grab it and hold it until owners made an appearance, he’s in his eighties so not easy for him to keep hold of a large bouncy dog. Poor old lab was completely flattened and struggled to get back up. Owners eventually walked over, said “oops” and gave their dog a treat!

Aw nooo! Poor them, that's so out of order. Glad no harm done but still.

Great result TFF! Unbelievable that people are so unfussed about their dogs repeatedly running riot like that. I hope lesson learned by the owner and less to worry about for little P dog.

I actually had a more positive experience today, just for a bit of balance I guess (I try to notice those too). Someone training their spaniel, had it close to heel but Ivy was clearly too interesting so he lost them for a bit but called and had spaniel back on track straight away.

Although yesterday I found the end of a nice footpath through a stubble field but from one end to the other could hear the frantic calls of someone whose dog is very not listening to them so thought sod that and left that route for another day!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I really fear my oldies being knocked about like that, how awful.

Sharing a positive experience, I sat down with a map a few months ago to see if there were any footpaths I didn't know about to try and make up some new walking routes. Most of the stressful encounters we were having were on a couple of circular routes that started and finished in town, both being about 45 minutes, partially fenced and having no livestock, i.e safe easy walk of choice for the 'my dog needs to run' brigade.

As much as it annoys me to be almost driven out of a place it was not worth the stress, so I started looking for alternatives. I've come up with half a dozen new routes, many of which have incredible views (one passes through acres and acres of orchard I never knew existed) and on which I rarely see a soul. I mean, one of them is 2.5 hours long to make it circular to get back home, but it's doing wonders for my step count ?

scats

Visit site

This has infuriated me! I hope the dog and your grandad are ok xx
My old girl was taken out by a big boisterous dog a few weeks ago when it attempted to jump over her but misjudged. It took out her back end. Fortunately my dog was ok, just a bit stiff.

On the Hoof

Visit site

RESULT!!!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I took my Dog on a long walk in Epping Forest a few weeks back. Mine was off lead and we came across a Lab (also off lead) Couldn't see the owners but luckily Lab seemed fine. Then saw the owners way back so we kept walking and figured the owners would call their Lab back. The Lab then decided he wanted to hump my Dog (who is neutered) and I mean he really went for it. My Dog then bolted with this Dog chasing him. Both went out of sight. I called and my Dog did come back still being chased by the Lab. If my Dog stopped the Lab was on him in seconds. The Lab's owners came running to me at this point as I had managed to grab the Lab's collar and hold him still. They just said "oh sorry, he hasn't done that in a while" I asked which way they were planning to walk and it was the same route as mine. I did tell them they should put theirs on lead and to be fair they did and kept him on his lead the entire route and were very apologetic.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Dunno whether it's this thread or I'm just bad at reading Labs that made me notice them more on our walk today. I was so glad to have OH with me and definitely noticed our new route as an example @blackcob described in terms of where's popular. We gave the stubble fields a go that I spotted the other day but didn't do because I could see/hear dogs out of control and couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

We had a classic "don't worry he's friendly!" with a big lab. We'd stopped at the top of the field with Ivy short on her lead, took ages for owner to clock that it might be time to recall their dog and when they did there was absolutely no response from the dog, it was just fixed on Ivy - initially stood frozen and then slowly wandering up, I find it so unsettling. OH stood a way in front of us and it ducked/rushed around him to get to Ivy and we shoo'd it away so we could move in the opposite direction. Owner was apologetic but I can't help but feel that it wasn't just a one off "he's not listening". I missed the opportunity to point out that they had no way of knowing our dog was friendly (she's mostly indifferent, occasionally interested, sometimes timid/worried, but still).

Another lab grumbled at her on the way past even though we moved over to give space, the owner made no attempt to reciprocate. For balance she was also charged and growled at by a terrier (again shoo'd off by OH before it could get too close) so I guess not just the Labs!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's not that you're bad at reading labs, it's that labs are crap at reading everyone else. Even (especially) the friendly ones, don't get the PISS OFF, DO ONE vibes being given off by other dogs and humans, who don't want a big lab face in their face or up their bum :p
I think we can all realise our breeds' failings. Even my best behaved, nicest, politest boy plays like an absolute thug, bodyslams, uses his paw to splat smaller dogs, there is no grace with him whatsoever, it's just a GSD thing, even when other people say 'they can play', I usually say 'no it's OK, he's too big/plays to rough' to be on the safe side. Best not to take a chance with someone else's dog.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We took our two labs and a friends 7 month old lab, today to a local country park. We saw a number of out of control spaniels and a couple of retrievers, which were running about out of control. The worst aspect though, was the owners who walked directly towards us! Our path must have looked odd, as we took evasive action! We have worked with ours to ensure their focus returns to us, rather than them "playing" with random dogs.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
When I was walking yesterday a spaniel suddenly arrived , couldn’t see an owner anywhere and as I was about to leave the fields to go down the road I couldnt leave because he decided he had found some new friends. I caught him easily and he had a collar and a harness on with a tracker but nothing else so I was stuck with another dog. Luckily I was close to a friends house so I used my lead on him and left one of mine off while I collected a lead from her. I was on way back when the dog walker ran up puffing as the owner told her where the dog was. The dog owner said to let him off lead as he was fine, well he isn’t!!!! I did tell the dog walker to make sure the owner gets a disc so other people won’t have to waste their time

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When I was walking yesterday a spaniel suddenly arrived , couldn’t see an owner anywhere and as I was about to leave the fields to go down the road I couldnt leave because he decided he had found some new friends. I caught him easily and he had a collar and a harness on with a tracker but nothing else so I was stuck with another dog. Luckily I was close to a friends house so I used my lead on him and left one of mine off while I collected a lead from her. I was on way back when the dog walker ran up puffing as the owner told her where the dog was. The dog owner said to let him off lead as he was fine, well he isn’t!!!! I did tell the dog walker to make sure the owner gets a disc so other people won’t have to waste their time

I would have rung the dog warden!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's not nearly as wild over here with dogs. We've had the occasional loose dog with delayed or no recall, but one of them is a dog we know atleast, and he plays well with mine. With my Lab she doesn't give some dogs a second look, or even the time of day, other dogs she's a bit excited/interested, and once in a blue moon she will growl at one. She's still under control though.

The moment she sees another dog she stops, waits for my recall, comes, and gets back on the lead. Sometimes I recall her before she sees them. I think it's odd to have your dog off the lead when others are around. Everyone is quite good about putting their dog on the lead when they see another (as they're supposed to here). I feel quite lucky. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's not nearly as wild over here with dogs. We've had the occasional loose dog with delayed or no recall, but one of them is a dog we know atleast, and he plays well with mine. With my Lab she doesn't give some dogs a second look, or even the time of day, other dogs she's a bit excited/interested, and once in a blue moon she will growl at one. She's still under control though.

The moment she sees another dog she stops, waits for my recall, comes, and gets back on the lead. Sometimes I recall her before she sees them. I think it's odd to have your dog off the lead when others are around. Everyone is quite good about putting their dog on the lead when they see another (as they're supposed to here). I feel quite lucky. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself ?

I agree it's a much more pleasant experience walking dogs over there, between a sense of civic duty and an overall emphasis on better breeding and training, but the ticks the size of zeppelins, I have the issue with ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Absolutely fantastic, what a great result!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Gah! Ivy had her first grumble at another dog today. It was justified and a proportionate warning but I was so cross with the other owner, who reassured me it was fine as his dog deserved it. I think he thought I was telling Ivy off when I said "that's enough" but actually it came out at the exact same time she growled, he just hadn't clocked we were both telling it do bog off. I wish I'd had words to be honest and I'm usually one for avoiding confrontation. I just think it's crap to let your own dog get in situations it could get bitten for being ott, and I don't appreciate my dog being used to tell other people's dogs off! What a knobchops. ?

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I just think it's crap to let your own dog get in situations it could get bitten...

Well this was trumped today by Mrs "oh well then he'll just have to get kicked then" (in reference to her own dog) when my hacking companion pointed out for her to be careful letting her dog get around the horse's legs.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had three, one the 7 month old pup, sitting on their picnic rug, outside a popular dog walking cafe. An idiot woman allowed her lab x greyhound to come up right into their faces!!!!! We'd already seen it running out of control, also had a poox of some description twice leave its owner and refuse to return to her, when it did get to her the first time she gave it a treat,presumably because it did eventually remember who it belonged to, but then it turned round and raced back into the middle of our three, to try and steal one of their balls.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh no! Do you mean didn't end well for him or the dog/s? I hope not the latter :(

Nah it was fine, mine was being contained (straddled, me stroking her chest) he with hairy terrier said LET THEM SAY HELLO, I said, "they are saying hello, this is close enough", he let terrier come forward/in her space, mine barked a warning, his barked back, I corrected mine then moved on quickly and gave her food for checking back in, I said 'I told you it was too close' over my shoulder and his continued to bark as he tried to drag it away, muttering 'he was only saying hello'.