Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of interesting posts

Widgeon

Visit site
Seriously (because how else should one reply to this thread?) how many of the posters of the type described in the thread "Roll up, roll up..." do you reckon are actually real? I've only been on the forum for a few months but there do seem to have been so many of these that I've stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt - I can see why some of the long timers tend to shout "troll" early on.

Also with my serious hat on (in answer to the original question), I am more of a lurker than a poster because a) I'm not very interesting; I don't have my own horse and can usually find the horse related answers I need in ways other than on a forum, and b) I agree that things can seem to escalate quickly (so to speak) and I would rather not be shot down for being an idiot/troll/terrible pet owner by someone who doesn't actually know me.

But I really enjoy this forum - I love seeing people's success stories and picking up bits of information about things I'd never considered before. Personally I'm grateful to the people who post regularly, it helps make up for my current lack of horsey community *weeps*

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fairly sure everyone is welcome to find somewhere else to go, or contribute more than a few posts in 4 years if they wish to help make it more interesting, some of us do our best *puts head in sand about own post count :p*

And yes maybe not as tactfully as you could have been for those of us who do post and try and keep it going :p. I might forgive you had you offered to share the wine :p[/QUOTE

Hi Ester if you have a look at my earier post I explained about the lack of contributions - if I'm ever drinking & posting again (highly unlikely) I'll save a glass for you ;)

I read all your posts ;) people not reading all the posts before responding then missing something important is a huge bug bear of mine :D. I'm still unconvinced that by saying you just read it to chill out means you can comment that those of us that do put a bit more effort in to keeping the forum going should be trying harder to make more interesting posts for those who just like to read :p whatever their reasons for doing so. I actually think it has been pretty good of late for the summer, Paddy&Montys recent escapade with Wimbles being a recent highlight though I actually prefer the people struggling and getting help that works ones, that is where this forum comes into its own.

The troll thing is both and issue and a shame IMO, people are cautious when they have been burned and also take a certain responsibility for other posters, I have made no secret of the fact that I am more emotionally invested in this forum than healthy- my immediate reaction for anyone dissing it is to get quite cross and point out all the good bits. However I am also rubbish at spotting trolls and feel horribly cheated about them and as such I do have an arrangement with another user to give me the heads up, fairly sure she has missed one at the moment though :p.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I read all your posts ;) people not reading all the posts before responding then missing something important is a huge bug bear of mine :D. I'm still unconvinced that by saying you just read it to chill out means you can comment that those of us that do put a bit more effort in to keeping the forum going should be trying harder to make more interesting posts for those who just like to read :p whatever their reasons for doing so. I actually think it has been pretty good of late for the summer, Paddy&Montys recent escapade with Wimbles being a recent highlight though I actually prefer the people struggling and getting help that works ones, that is where this forum comes into its own.

The troll thing is both and issue and a shame IMO, people are cautious when they have been burned and also take a certain responsibility for other posters, I have made no secret of the fact that I am more emotionally invested in this forum than healthy- my immediate reaction for anyone dissing it is to get quite cross and point out all the good bits. However I am also rubbish at spotting trolls and feel horribly cheated about them and as such I do have an arrangement with another user to give me the heads up, fairly sure she has missed one at the moment though :p.[/QUOTEI

I really don't feel I need to justify myself any more tbh.

I have far more important things to be giving head space to (which you will have read about in my previous post).

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
no one asked you to, I certainly haven't. But that doesn't mean they can't have and state their own opinions on what you have said and how it made them feel as regular posters.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

The troll thing is both and issue and a shame IMO, people are cautious when they have been burned and also take a certain responsibility for other posters, I have made no secret of the fact that I am more emotionally invested in this forum than healthy- my immediate reaction for anyone dissing it is to get quite cross and point out all the good bits. However I am also rubbish at spotting trolls and feel horribly cheated about them and as such I do have an arrangement with another user to give me the heads up, fairly sure she has missed one at the moment though :p.[/QUOTEI

I really don't feel I need to justify myself any more tbh.

Well I don't know what you want really? You lurk, then you complain there's nothing interesting happening, then you don't like the discussion you have generated? Why not just post a few replies and join in a bit, and you might enjoy it a bit more? I'm not the most prolific poster gawd knows, but I've enjoyed the forum for what it is for quite a few years.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Well I don't know what you want really? You lurk, then you complain there's nothing interesting happening, then you don't like the discussion you have generated? Why not just post a few replies and join in a bit, and you might enjoy it a bit more? I'm not the most prolific poster gawd knows, but I've enjoyed the forum for what it is for quite a few years.

I posted a very personal reply in which I explained my lack of contributions maybe you missed or maybe you have no empathy or maybe you just want to keep on harping on about the same thing - as I said to Ester enough please

Last edited:

Irish gal

Visit site
And all Tihama was doing was also passing comment. She asked where have all the interesting or contentious threads gone - that's a very simple and innocent observation yet people have got their backs up.

No wonder many prefer to remain lurkers when they're met with so much criticism for a simple comment on the state of the forum. She has explained her very difficult family situation i.e. She has enough stress in her life already. Where is the empathy that many say exists on this forum?

She has enough to cope with in her life at the moment especially on a weekend when she's getting a much needed break from a fairly horrendous situation. Can we please extend the hand of friendship here to someone who may genuinely be in need of it.

ester

Visit site
And all Tihama was doing was also passing comment. She asked where have all the interesting or contentious threads gone - that's a very simple and innocent observation yet people have got their backs up.

No wonder many prefer to remain lurkers when they're met with so much criticism for a simple comment on the state of the forum. She has explained her very difficult family situation i.e. She has enough stress in her life already. Where is the empathy that many say exists on this forum?

She has enough to cope with in her life at the moment especially on a weekend when she's getting a much needed break from a fairly horrendous situation. Can we please extend the hand of friendship here to someone who may genuinely be in need of it.

All I was doing was passing comment too. Struggling to see the issue with that and don't appreciate being told I cannot make a point or say that perhaps some people might have been upset by a statement and why. Plenty of us have lots to cope with too.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Oh come on if you've lurked long enough you should no that you do not get to tell people what they can or cannot post! Frankly if you didn't want to be told that some people found your post upsetting and somewhat offensive maybe you should have given that a little more thought before posting.

And please sort your quotes out as I did not say what I am now quoted as saying in your post above, that was rowreach.

Go away and stop hounding me or I will report you - is that clear enough??

ester

Visit site
I posted a very personal reply in which I explained my lack of contributions maybe you missed or maybe you have no empathy or maybe you just want to keep on harping on about the same thing - as I said to Ester enough please

I already said I have seen it, why do you suggest I was lieing? I don't think it really matters why you chose not post, I come here to chill too but I choose to post with it.
I also have plenty of empathy, thanks. If you did truely lurk here you might know that given the circumstanes described I have plenty of experience there that would make it hard not to.
I don't appreciate being told what and when I should or should not post, or that I cannot say what I feel in response to someone's post.

Report me for what exactly? I am no rule breaker!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Go away and stop hounding me or I will report you - is that clear enough??

I think you may be reading more into ester's replies than is there? I also found it strange that someone would lurk for so long on the forum and then complain that those of us who actively participate on a regular basis weren't delivering on the entertainment factor.
I'm sorry for your personal circumstances, there are many HHOers that are having hard times and we are a supportive bunch but it wasn't the best introduction for you as a relatively new poster, that's all.

Let the dust settle and then join in, if you wish to... or just return to being a dissatisfied lurker if you prefer. We won't mind which you choose, but new blood is always welcome if positive contributions are made :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
So. You don't like the boring forum which lacks contentious posts so post a thread moaning about the boring regular posters and then threaten to report one of the regular posters for expressing their opinion on your now rather boring yet also contentious post. You better drink a bit more of that wine OP.

Disclaimer: I've got a lot of worries too aonthat makes it ok for me to be rude to you. Mine are like my daughter's father might take her away one weekend and decide to do them both in. Good eh?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Where is Enfys? We need her and her goat... although I have a horrible feeling that she doesn't have him anymore. :( Maybe she has a new goat or even several? *hopes for goats*

Leo Walker

Visit site

Quite a few of us live day in day out with pretty horrendous situations. Some of us chose to post about those situations, some of us dont. Pretty much all of us living those situations come here as a form of distraction from the horrors of the real world. Not all of us get drunk, post a hypocritical thread then start telling people to stop before they are reported!

Not quite sure what the OP expected to happen. That she could criticise but that no one would respond in kind? Then she could say stop when she got what she wanted and that would be the end of it?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

It's hard to extend the hand of friendship to someone who has just insulted everybody by saying they don't post interesting threads :eek3: It's no different to if she'd walked into a party, eavesdropped on a few conversations, then stood in the middle of the room and announced loudly that there's nobody interesting to talk to. Honestly, who is really going to feel empathy/sympathy for someone who has just done that? I did my best but she just jumped on me again.

This isn't tv, it's not generated by the government or something for peoples entertainment. It's a community.

ester

Visit site
Can I say it Ester??

what time do you call this?

For some reason I want to come up with some catchphrase like 'it's chico time' at this point....

I'm going back in my over invested unappreciated hole now. or paper bag as that is the best I can find
e020.gif

ah no maybe
e060.gif

Irish gal

Visit site
Quite a few of us live day in day out with pretty horrendous situations. Some of us chose to post about those situations, some of us dont. Pretty much all of us living those situations come here as a form of distraction from the horrors of the real world. Not all of us get drunk, post a hypocritical thread then start telling people to stop before they are reported!

Not quite sure what the OP expected to happen. That she could criticise but that no one would respond in kind? Then she could say stop when she got what she wanted and that would be the end of it?

How is she criticising, shes making a simple observation that the threads are 'samey'. It's nothing that hasn't been said plenty of times before yet individuals are taking it personally.

So people here have problems and you're right we all do. But none of us knows just who might be on a cliff edge tonight, needing very little to tip them over the side. Especially someone who has told us they're in a state. Just a shove from a hostile bunch of of strangers could be enough to do it.

But doubtless that won't bother people here much...