Is there a breed of horse you really hate?!

Umbongo

Visit site
I don't hate any breed of horse, due to personal preference though I would never buy an appaloosa, a warmblood (or dumblood as I used to call my old loan one), hairy gypsy type cobs, TB's that look like they will snap or blow over in the wind, bug eyed welshies.

Don't like the show arabs they breed now, I do like part bred arabs and have loaned a couple of those. Would rather have a nice well built Heinz 57/ISH type horse any day. Have always liked the smaller breeds such as haflingers, dales, highlands etc if only I was small enough to ride them and not look stupid!

Blaise

Visit site
I dont hate any particular breed either, but i certainly dislike some more than others.
I'd never even think about having a Fjord, the only one i've ever rode was the most stubborn, pig headed beast going who bucked me off & legged it more than once! I'm not a huge fan of Haflingers but can tolerate them as long as they are relativley fit and a decent weight, i cant stand seeing fat, overweight haffies (but that would go for most breeds tbh). I'm just not a fan of cobby types in general really. Oh, and Welshies of any section :p

I love TB's, Quarter Horses, Appaloosa's and Akhal Tekes. It is my ambition to own an Akhal Teke one day :) I never used to be a fan of Arabs either but since my girls have been sharing a field with one i really like them now. She's one of the most beautiful creatures i've ever seen. I also like s**tlands, they make me laugh! Their 'little man complex' and attitudes amuse me :D

comet&joe

Visit site
There are an awful lot of horses that aren't big chunky cob types that aren't Arabs. Don't you hate them as well?

For me, no, horses are horses, some do better at one job than another and I value them for those differences. Some I don't find especially attractive and wouldn't own one unless I had a specific job that only that breed would do but I don't hate horses just because of their breed.

so true!

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
Hate is a strong word, I would personally never own a TB or an Arab, not my cup of tea at all but don't hate them.

I agree, hate is the wrong word to use I wouldnever hate any horse because of its breeding. I would say my preference is for the chunky riding types, like IDs, middleweight cobs, Cleveland bays, Friesians and heavier dressage types like Lippizanas.

I would never buy an Ardennes ( unless I had fields to plough) or any of the true sort of bull - like heavy draught purebreds as cannot imagine many are pleasant to ride.(exclude Clydies of course and perhaps the modern Percheron).
I do not go for the Arab or Arab x, purely on looks, but they are darn good horses and I ve ridden some fabulous ones - they are also very sound horses.

Fiords and Haflingers and mostly Highlands too are really not my type either as they are just too stocky and pony- like for my tastes.

I guess, though - I would NEVER touch a purebred TB - (well maybe at a push, a NH type!!!) TBs just do nothing for me.
The ones I have owned have been difficult in some way, generally ugly or boring looking, dull to ride or just plain scary, and never sound for long.

Sorry TB lovers!

Marciamac

Visit site
A true horseman/woman can appreciate any good horse, whatever its size, shape or breeding. However, I don't like anything that's very fine or, especially, narrow in front. I like to feel I'm sitting on something solid. My preference is for cobs and natives, but I've known really good TBs, Arabs, warmbloods etc. What I don't like is people who try to change breeds (and too often succeed) to achieve a goal - e.g. make Quarter Horses more Thoroughbredy - when they can easily go out and find what they want in another breed or a cross-bred. The old-fashioned Quarter Horse is great: big bum, stocky, small-ish head, short striding. The modern example has got way too much TB in it and, to me, doesn't look like a QH at all. Same with Morgans. (I was born and brought up in US.) The old-fashioned Morgan is more like a Welsh Cob - small, stocky, versatile, good temperament, etc. Today they breed them neurotic and flashy with exagerrated paces.

And Katikins, if you think riding a cob is boring, I'll introduce you to a couple I know - and would have loved to show you mine, but he is now long gone to pastures in the sky.

RandR

Visit site
Nope - there's no breed I hate.

I would say greys though because of the amount of time and effort required to keep them clean. So how come I have 2 of them, both of which are trying to be skewbald!

Brenda Marsh

New User
Visit site
I have been involved with horses for over fifty years, experiencing many breeds and disciplines. I absolutely hate topics like this that show peoples biased thoughts with no clear concept on the subject or "BREED" they are knocking for the supposed fun of it. ARAB BASHINGappears to be one of the most highlighted on this thread. In my experience most people who knock the Arabian has no experience of the breed in the first place, which is more than obvious from the comments posted on here. If you can't appreciate a breed which is recognised worldwide as superior in intelligence, versatility and quality then you can't obviously recognise ALL BREEDS have their qualities and individual traits which we as horselovers give up our time and devotion to whatever breed we are involved with and yes for all those who haven't realised it I after many years of involvement choose the Arabian first and foremost although I have had some wonderful horses over the years from Welsh, Connemara's, Warmbloods, Hunters, SHP, WHP, Show-Jumpers, Dressage horses & ponies, Eventers many that have given me serious pleasure over the years. I loved them all! Don't be narrow minded or biased by a few poor examples see them at their best and most vibrant.

Cedars

Visit site
I have been involved with horses for over fifty years, experiencing many breeds and disciplines. I absolutely hate topics like this that show peoples biased thoughts with no clear concept on the subject or "BREED" they are knocking for the supposed fun of it. ARAB BASHINGappears to be one of the most highlighted on this thread. In my experience most people who knock the Arabian has no experience of the breed in the first place, which is more than obvious from the comments posted on here. If you can't appreciate a breed which is recognised worldwide as superior in intelligence, versatility and quality then you can't obviously recognise ALL BREEDS have their qualities and individual traits which we as horselovers give up our time and devotion to whatever breed we are involved with and yes for all those who haven't realised it I after many years of involvement choose the Arabian first and foremost although I have had some wonderful horses over the years from Welsh, Connemara's, Warmbloods, Hunters, SHP, WHP, Show-Jumpers, Dressage horses & ponies, Eventers many that have given me serious pleasure over the years. I loved them all! Don't be narrow minded or biased by a few poor examples see them at their best and most vibrant.

And there is always some stuck up little idiot who ruins what was a calm and fun post. Go back to your hole.

I think Arabs are ugly. End of. I couldnt give a **** whether they jump 8ft high or can cook dinner and do the washing up at the same time. I genuinely couldn't care less, it doesn't affect my opinion of them, I still think they're ugly. Clearly, I can appreciate the sport aspect of it and I'm fascinated by the althetic ability in any animal, be it a horse or the baby deer jumping in our fields atm, but I still think they're ugly!

Likewise, its obvious on here that my stocky coloured cob would make other people feel the same way! But I couldnt care less because I love her and thats what mattered! I was just INTERESTED in what people think about other breeds. And so far nobody but you has gone "wwaaaahhh my horse is the prettiest". Jog on please, seeing as you hate posts like this so much!

Carry on in the same, happy vane as we all were before, thank you. x

JoannaC

Visit site
As a horse lover I could never hate any horse even the ugliest have some appeal. But for me the Arabian is the only horse I could ever be owned by. They are intelligent, sensitive, people loving, versatile and will try their huge hearts out for the right person. They will also stick two fingers up at anyone who tries to tell them what to do rather than ask nicely hence I guess why some people don't get on with them. Hate is a very strong word, we all have our personal preference but to knock certain breeds especially when we may not have had any personal dealings with them is rather sad.

Pasha

Visit site

Was going to post the same thing but you beat me too it! Most people I come accross are "surprised" by my Arabs - not sure why as they are nothing remarkable for Arabs - not sure where the stereotypes come from to be honest!

baymareb

Visit site
There's no breed I'd say I hate but there are some that I probably wouldn't own. I'm not fond of the big clunky draft types or heavy cobs - I've never had a desire to ride something so big and wide. Ditto on warmbloods. I've never cared for the look of most Appys or paints - I tend to prefer basic colors like bays. And I'm not crazy about Quarter Horses - don't really like their build. And I think Minis are freaks of nature (or rather human engineering).

My breeds of choice include Morgans, Arabs as long as they have a rump (some of them have none - I don't mind the dished face but I do object to the lack of hindquarters), TB's, Standardbreds and lots of pony breeds. I also like some of the crosses like Morabs, Anglo-Arabs and Appendix QH's.

Pasha

Visit site
And there is always some stuck up little idiot who ruins what was a calm and fun post. Go back to your hole.

I think Arabs are ugly. End of. I couldnt give a **** whether they jump 8ft high or can cook dinner and do the washing up at the same time. I genuinely couldn't care less, it doesn't affect my opinion of them, I still think they're ugly. Clearly, I can appreciate the sport aspect of it and I'm fascinated by the althetic ability in any animal, be it a horse or the baby deer jumping in our fields atm, but I still think they're ugly!

Likewise, its obvious on here that my stocky coloured cob would make other people feel the same way! But I couldnt care less because I love her and thats what mattered! I was just INTERESTED in what people think about other breeds. And so far nobody but you has gone "wwaaaahhh my horse is the prettiest". Jog on please, seeing as you hate posts like this so much!

Carry on in the same, happy vane as we all were before, thank you. x

OMG!

(Edited my post as I just can't be bothered)

Last edited:

JoannaC

Visit site
Oh my good god. I was asking what people liked of the APPEARANCE of them, not anything else.

Actually you didn't perhaps you should read your original post. Anyway I wasn't looking to get into a row, you have your opinion as you are entitled to and I have mine I was just giving it. We'll agree to differ :)

xloopylozzax

Visit site
ok back on topic.

i dislike *whispers*cougharabscough but purely because they are either one end or the other of the spectrum (boring old farts, or stroppy highly strung prats)
fresians- sorry but its a cart horse. i dont see the appeal in something so upright, gangly, narrow etc etc i appreciate a nice one in harness, but apart from that...
higlands, fells, dales- flat fat and boring nothing really interests me in them??
cleveland bays or similar- big, numb, lazy cant connect their legs to their head tend to go whaaat alot of the time
show cobs- just no for 90%, great fat heffalumps- weight is no substitute for TYPE
anything with a wall eye- yuck
wishy washy colours
traditional coloureds who arent cobby but have really really long mane tail and feather to make up for it. not.
icelandic, fjords, hafflingers- no explanation needed
*****lands- the arsiest, nastiest creatures i have ever had the misfortune of dealing with

yeah i have a lot of preferences, give me a welsh cob, decent TB or warmblood anyday!

traceyann

Visit site
I hate any breed thats caused me touble at the time which has been various from shire to shetland or maybe just horses at the time

dreamcometrue

Visit site
LOL, where do I start? I'm a bit picky. I like my TBs and TBxs but don't HATE any breeds, however there are a few I dislike:

Poncy arabs... urgh!! However the older style egyptian ones I quite like (my friend has a really nice one that you'd think was an anglo rather that full egyptian lines). And I also LOVE anglo arabs, just can't stand the piggy faces of the show arabs
Anything with a wall eye - just creepy
Cobs - too boring
KWPN - I 'did' quite like them, till I owned one. Who tried to kill me on numerous occassions!! At least with a TB they tend to go loony in a straight line and have some sense of self preservation... WBs are just crackers! I will not be buying another one
Welsh ponies - think they are quite cute but couldn't be bothered with that level of stubbornness
Haflingers - bargy meat ponies, nuff said
Shetlands - or *****lands as we call them, evil little buggers
Fresians - they are just barge horses, when will people realise this!
Gelderlanders - what's with the stupidly straigh bum! Again... barge horses, not riding horses.

Wow, that's quite a list. I've probably just managed to insult 75% of the readers on here... oops :)

Give me a good heinz 57 anyday. I've only ever had 1 horse I've known the full breeding of (the KWPN - lunatic!) and all my crosses have been awesome horses.

Just for you Katikins. My "bargy meat pony" Funny because everyone who knows him loves him.

3hrhack19thAug2010005.jpg

3hrhack19thAug2010041.jpg

NorfolkEnchants

Visit site
Just for you Katikins. My "bargy meat pony" Funny because everyone who knows him loves him.

3hrhack19thAug2010005.jpg

QUOTE]

He is gorgeous! :D (sorry - had to say something) :p

i dont particularly dislike any breed tbh, i usually base it on personal experiance, in the past i've not got on with welsh sec d's, but im pretty sure it was just a matter of us not being able to bond, but i wouldnt rule out other welsh sec d's

each to their own :D

natalia

Visit site
I can see that all breeds must have some good examples but I have never met an example of the arab race that has redeemed itself suficiantly useful to make me warm to them at all. I.e jumping a 1.20 course or doing a decent level dressage test, and sadly here we don't have many deserts so I render them useless to my needs. Saying this I do think that some part bred arabs can be useful horses, if a bit of stamina is needed but wouldn't really want something with 50% arab blood (the less the better). I also can see the merits of some full TB's but would also NEVER buy one unless I was p2p it as they just don't do anything for me. Haflingers, Welsh cobs and Highlands are taken on individual basis, as they seem to be either complete pigs or little angels. For me the ideal horse would be a nice ISH or ISH X KWPN type about 15.3hh, MW with a kind outlook and an honest nature.

fizzer

Visit site
I would of thought any horse/animal lover would not HATE any breed!! they would have a preference of type/colour.

Very sad to read some people's horrid comments.

Enfys

Visit site
For me its Part Bred Arabs.

Any particular cross, simply out of curiosity? :)

So many breeds have arab blood in them, look at welsh A's for example, they didn't get those little heads off a mountain that's for sure!

Last edited:

The_snoopster

Visit site
I also dont have a breed that I personally hate but I would never own a section D again, I have owned several because I do like the look of them but have not got on with any I have owned so stear clear of them.

gadetra

Visit site
I love RID's, TB's and Connie's and any crosses between them. Was never sure of Arabs but bred 2 half breds and they're amazingly hardy and intellegent-even *whispers* as intellegent as a regular Irish horse and just as good in the brain!!
I do not like warmbloods, German nad Dutch cos I think personally they are very upright looking and have a piggly little eye in their empty hreads :D but I do like the Selle Francais although they are pretty similar types to the ISH.
I'm not a pony fan, except for Connie's as I think they're cute hoors to use an Irish expression.
Welsh ponies I have met have been ***seholes and they look weird.
Finally I'm not a fan of big/small chunky hairy things cobs included. Or roman noses. ID is as far as i get into draught and even then I can't stand to see roman nosed 'commom'y types.
I am however willing to be proved wrong. Just not about the ponies. I don't like their brains but my 6ft sister wishes she could shrink and not ride anything else!!!!

Arabelle

Visit site
I can see that all breeds must have some good examples but I have never met an example of the arab race that has redeemed itself suficiantly useful to make me warm to them at all. I.e jumping a 1.20 course or doing a decent level dressage test, and sadly here we don't have many deserts so I render them useless to my needs.

See, I am an endurance rider, so the arab is the ultimate performer for my discipline :D Beauty, loyalty and stamina - the perfect horse. However, I will concede that modern inhand showing has done the breed no favours, however the ridden arab is still a useful animal.

I can see the value of most breeds, they all perform different jobs. However, I do struggle to understand why coloured cobs are so wildly popular - as another poster said, they look like cows:p