it's that time again... weekend plans?

GinaGeo

Visit site
Podrick went happy hacking yesterday. We went somewhere new. It was raining. There were lots of dogs, children on bikes, and umbrellas.

He was accompanied by mum’s pony, instead of Solo or Mickey and therefore he had to be the brave lead horse. It wasn’t a situation I’d have put him in a month ago. He’s really starting to be brave and take his confidence from me. Instead of leaving. Fast. ?

B7B0D369-E584-4E06-AD49-16738A24D193.jpeg

Solo was Side Saddling again today. A pre-season tune up with the Ladies of Area 12. It’s why I love it. Everyone is so supportive. We’ve come away with a Saddle, which he is much happier in. Lots to work on, it really highlights any holes in your training, and makes you really aware of any crookedness.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Friend didn't want to ride in the end as was worried about the weather with her youngster so pony and I hacked on our own ... about the double the distance planned as I took the wrong route ? Pony was a star for the whole 22kms though.

I've been building his fitness up slowly and I was a bit concerned I might have overdone it yesterday but he was certainly none the worse for wear when I bought him in so we went for a quiet and short hack sploshing through some very large puddles today. Or as I like to call it, DIY hydrotherapy ?

This does mean I really, really, really need to go in the school at least once this week.

dorsetladette

Visit site
We nearly didn't go to the show today. Yesterday Robin commando crawled through all the mud he could find after his bath. The morning the raon was lashing down and he was filthy. But we cleaned him up as best we could and set off. He climbed on the tack locker twice getting tangled in his lead rope and partition. We got him down and crossed tied and got to our destination as quick as possible.
At the show, once out he calmed a little. And we won the youngstock and the m&m class. Hung around for the championship and came home with the in hand championship too. Picture of our menace to society.

Attachments

• IMG-20210523-WA0000_compress48.jpg
    IMG-20210523-WA0000_compress48.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 14

racebuddy

Visit site
Obviously no plans for us now sick note is on box rest for at least the next 6-8wks. But honestly I’m just relieved that it’s hopefully not anything too catastrophic or career-ending ?? Frustrating, and bad timing. But could have been so much worse. Slightly sulky he’s not allowed out with his mates, but clearly not too bothered ?View attachment 72365
View attachment 72366
??????

nikkimariet

Visit site
This was regionals week for Rooni and myself. His first and mine since 2017!

Thursday was a complete write off. He was WIRED. And I mean to the point even I considered getting off and going home!

I retired from both tests, they were just a complete shambles. Couldn’t trot couldn’t walk had no halts in either test… Everything from 8’s to 0’s!!!! The judges actually liked him and in his freestyle one judge was 7’s except 0 for halt and 0 for walk lol.

Thankfully, today was much improved (he had Friday off and hacked as usual Saturday). He was still hot but he always is. Breeding is Twat x Twat!

Rode carefully in the first class for a safely marked 65% and unplaced. Sonnar helped me warm him up for the second and kicked me into touch. Thrilled with 3rd for the second class and 69%. Fingers crossed for a wildcard!

D704641D-4261-49E5-9092-F0D5304D032B.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
I do wish I resorted to comfort eating to cheer me up when my weekend was cancelled.
I went to the hope valley outlet sample sale and over spent ?. Normally if I shop I have someone with me who I instruct to tell me I don't need a new coat. Today flying solo I bought 4

Goldenstar

Visit site
Never got round to posting what we where planning so here’s what we did .
Blue ( the cob ) went out to unaffiliated dressage again we where doing a intro and a prelim it was prelim 7 which is a good one for a horse who struggles with the canter .
Cantering is why we are out and about doing this with him as we needed an aim to make get on and sort the issue .
Blue is ridden by the free lancer who helps me , she has not competed for sometime as she has been having her children .
I offered the chance to take Blue as she has a very green youngster and it was a chance get back into the swing of it all .
It was a busy day as her baby was doing two intros her first trip out .
We had a short work-in with Blue as the young horse finished her second test twenty minutes before Blues time .I got Blue off the lorry and led him round the lorry park so the rider could pop on and go.
It was busy in the warm up so we did very little .
The first test was the intro Blue went well except for a few Whinnies which is a bit his thing when he’s in the arena I except it will wear off with mileage .
Short break rider got a canter strike off on each leg this has been a big issue hes never learnt to canter from the aids so we quit while we where ahead .
Cantering in public is a big deal with Blue so I was delighted he got through the test error free .Loads to work on the rider was working hard in the canter but he managed it and it’s a big improvement.
Won the intro on 70.65% won the prelim on 76.36 % the Baby horse was second to Blue in the intro and won the other intro .
So well pleased .
Onwards and upwards .
Planning some more trips out unaffliated and then we will do a prelim unaffiliated at a BD and see how he does against the horses at that level .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I do wish I resorted to comfort eating to cheer me up when my weekend was cancelled.
I went to the hope valley outlet sample sale and over spent ?. Normally if I shop I have someone with me who I instruct to tell me I don't need a new coat. Today flying solo I bought 4
4?! ??
You need a few horses, that'll put a stop to it ?

Kira was a good student in the school yesterday after her Attitude Adjustment hack on Friday. No riding today as thoroughly exhausted after very late night (husband demanded a social life) so just horse-cuddling today.

Foal features well and truly gone now ?
20210523_161353_compress39.jpg

Asha

Visit site
4?! ??
You need a few horses, that'll put a stop to it ?

Kira was a good student in the school yesterday after her Attitude Adjustment hack on Friday. No riding today as thoroughly exhausted after very late night (husband demanded a social life) so just horse-cuddling today.

Foal features well and truly gone now ?
View attachment 72383

gorgeous photo ! She’s looking fabulous ?

Wheels

Visit site
This was regionals week for Rooni and myself. His first and mine since 2017!

Thursday was a complete write off. He was WIRED. And I mean to the point even I considered getting off and going home!

I retired from both tests, they were just a complete shambles. Couldn’t trot couldn’t walk had no halts in either test… Everything from 8’s to 0’s!!!! The judges actually liked him and in his freestyle one judge was 7’s except 0 for halt and 0 for walk lol.

Thankfully, today was much improved (he had Friday off and hacked as usual Saturday). He was still hot but he always is. Breeding is Twat x Twat!

Rode carefully in the first class for a safely marked 65% and unplaced. Sonnar helped me warm him up for the second and kicked me into touch. Thrilled with 3rd for the second class and 69%. Fingers crossed for a wildcard!

View attachment 72382
That's fantastic, congratulations

Reacher

Visit site
I always seem to end up writing a retrospective.....!
Had a mid week flatwork and poles lesson - we have been working on our trot and canter - the trot has really turned a corner after a lightbulb moment in a previous lesson - round and springy. The canter is improving too. Over poles I am meant to focus on the quality of the canter and not worry about how I meet the first pole, which is easier said than done. This is supposed to translate to jumping and not worrying about strides, just have the quality of the canter, though easier said than done.

On saturday had a xc lesson, again more focused on the bit between the jumps, keeping his mind on me and not bogging off! It is hard work!

Yesterday had entered an unaff sj comp, I think it's the first outing we have made it to this year. Its a large outdoor arena which he enjoys. Entered the 70cm and 80 cm. Am obviously out of practice as the 70cm jumps looked big :p, 14 jumps and fences 9-14 were timed as a "jump off". Went clear in the 70cm, did our best to take short cuts and came 4th. Mr H was on fire and really enjoying himself. In the 80 cm he was maybe a bit too razzed up and I made things worse by being in 2 point seat instead of sitting and he was doing a bit of a xc canter :p. We rolled the pole on 8th so I didn't bother taking the short cuts in the timed section (possibly a mistake as the turns would have got his speed under control ) - still came 6th.

He was fabulous changing his canter leads - doing a flying change on request in a lesson is work in progress but when he is lit up in a comp he is fab.

I love that horse!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Tired after driving back from York last night and the M1 being a pain as per usual. But was a successful weekend. We stood outside our new house, went into the city for a browse and then went to new yard to suss out storage (yay I have lots so don't need to have a declutter) and also walked round the hacking which is amaaaazing.

We have on site hacking which is very quiet and nothing spooky (except cows) so will be a nice route to get me "back in the saddle" after baby. There are also a few canter tracks. Then there is a short road hack (on a nice wide, straight and unobstructed view, road to the common. Everyone seemed really nice so I'm really looking forward to moving there.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
sounds good OBAC :) must be a weight off your mind to know it's all in hand.

Back to work for k today, had a good session in the school this morning and have identified some things to work on this week.. on target for our challenge to ride a mistake- free Inter 1 by the end of June. I highly doubt we will go to any shows but just having that as a thing we have to achieve has really made us both sit up and pay attention :p

After her horrendous behaviour in our last lesson she's back on the regumate and has got back in line, haha. Normally I'd have stopped it by now. perhaps the weird weather has messed up her hormonal routine. She gets so involved with things that don't affect her, and then gets outraged when you ask her to ignore stuff and go back to work. Don't really want to keep her on it all year but if we have to, then so be it.

188439765_4358489570829186_6017629363840392696_n.jpg

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Didn't die out XC schooling. Even managed no stops and no falls!

Had an SJ lesson with David Gatherer las week and he spent some time with me on the very basics - my job vs. her job. My job is to get her in a suitable canter and point her at the correct jump, her job is to jump said jump. That's the simple equation. No overthinking, no pulling or correcting last minute, no micromanaging or shutting the canter down - just let the mare jump. So that was the goal of the XC session - even if I didn't jump I was to canter round nice and open.

But we did jump- probably only the dizzying height of 65/70 max? But I had a great time and left wishing I'd jumped bigger rather than regretting trying something and knocking my own confidence on the first time out. Skye was her typical spicy self coming off the trailer - wired, a pain to tack up and then jogged and bounced her way down to the XC field. Took a while to settle her and there was some notable bursts of twit, but once she'd had a tiny jump and I had her moving forward she was an absolute star. She's just excited to get on with a job and I can't be annoyed at that.

I've owned her 4 years and 3 months now and this was the first time we've been brave enough to go XC schooling.

If you watch the video you may want to mute it - friend's spaniel was very vocal!

C4-F9084-A-40-F9-40-F8-B65-D-409-E9986-B148.jpg

4-A59203-D-9482-4-F08-A226-EAF8-BB8-DD420.jpg

523-F24-CC-0-CC1-4903-A5-ED-8533-F15-F41-AE.jpg

53-C65-D19-EB1-A-44-E7-91-FA-EF8-B008-FA7-EA.jpg

20371175-FE7-B-492-F-AE4-B-300-B5323-C7-FE.png

489-EAC8-C-45-B1-4250-9688-EC267-CBB53-DC.jpg

E698-D56-B-1550-48-F8-A85-C-C3925-F79-DD71.png

5-C4-C6631-8011-43-EE-BCDE-273770717-D47.jpg

40-C39493-F897-41-A3-ABF9-5-EB77-C67-E44-B.jpg

439-BF486-7-D00-42-E2-B17-C-AE9-F1890-A8-DB.jpg

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I tried to wear the legs off Skylla, she is apparently v. fit :oops:o_O. Just short of 10 miles hacking on Saturday exploring new routes, some were very overgrown so hard going in places but so pretty!

188509628_10159961189679925_4004962036322203555_n.jpg

188439920_10159961189474925_4155365508223910380_n.jpg

Then we went round Kelsall farm ride Sunday, I totally thought she would be tired and calm so left her snaffle in and planned to take it super easy... Skylla has decided that after the fun ride with the unruly cobs that charging everywhere is super fun :p, she bounced the whole way round and actually bogged off twice, might have been because I was laughing at her ridiculousness but still, naughty Skylla!

189686838_10159964370859925_755436760823443522_n.jpg

We're facing the wrong way as she'd bogged off with me down the hill :eek:.

Bernster

Visit site
Well done Jenni, that sounds fab. I prefer to come away thinking that we could have done more, but pleased with what we achieved if we have a good session, particularly for those first few sessions.

Love the blue bell pics.

We used to do motorway bridges. They are odd with traffic going under you then out the other side. Noisy too. Sounds like your boy did it well as I do think they’re pretty testing for most horses.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Great photos @HufflyPuffly - am jealous as Kelsall would be an over night job for me - it looks fab.

Skye looks super @Jenni_ she looks like she’s enjoying herself

To be honest if you were doing an overnight job the farm ride at Somerford is probably better in terms of all weather ground and jumps. However, Kelsall is right next to Delamere forest so you could make a riding holiday of it, as there are places to come and stay with your horse in the area!

DressageCob

Visit site
Nothing too exciting here.

the big lad and I had a couple of lessons to run through our test ahead of PetPlan AFs this week. First day I rode like a wet lettuce because someone else happened to be in the school ? Doesn't bode well for the working in!

On Sunday I gave myself a shake and rode much better and he did some lovely work. I still don't ride the walk piris well enough, so that's a weak spot.

we have a warm up class at Aintree on Wednesday and then the real thing on Thursday. Eek ?

FourLeafClover

Visit site
We used to do motorway bridges. They are odd with traffic going under you then out the other side. Noisy too. Sounds like your boy did it well as I do think they’re pretty testing for most horses.

He was such a good boy, I put acoustic ears on which I was very pleased about, particularly as it was raining on the way back and the rain made the traffic noise a lot louder!

He was a total pillock for most of the ride, was rearing and going backwards because he couldn't cope with the fact we had to turn and go back on ourselves. It's always been a bit of a thing for him, but once settled and hacking regularly he can just about cope with it. But on a new ride from a new yard, it's a behaviour/anxiety that reared its ugly head again :rolleyes:

BUT we survived the bridge, so I'm taking it as a win!

Loving reading all the busy weekend reports again :D

Reacher

Visit site
To be honest if you were doing an overnight job the farm ride at Somerford is probably better in terms of all weather ground and jumps. However, Kelsall is right next to Delamere forest so you could make a riding holiday of it, as there are places to come and stay with your horse in the area!

I have been to somerford once (as an overnighter) several years ago (maybe 10??) and we did the farm ride and the Xc schooling area - it was fab - I need someone who will go back with me again for an overnighter / horse holiday!

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm a bit late catching up on all the posts but have just been through! Sorry to hear of all the sicknotes, I hope they improve soon ? And lovely to see some great updates of people getting out and about!

I got back on Danny on Friday, who promptly told me I had nothing to worry about and demonstrated as much with a hoof perfect hack. He really is fab - it was incredibly windy (though we avoided the showers) and it was the local primary school pick-up time so loads of children, stressed mums and various bikes / scooters / push-chairs / revving cars / a dog running up to a gate from behind a hedge. He didn't bat an eyelid at any of it and rolled his eyes when Pocholo spooked at the dog. Waited patiently while cars went passed and generally dealt with the chaos - I really should wear a Go-Pro so we can add a video when he's advertised in a month or two!

Saturday I schooled him and he was a good boy, despite not being in the school for over two weeks. A new SJ course had been put up with little room to squeeze in by the fence so we had to do some fairly random school figures and steep lateral work, and he was great. I was still a bit tense but began to relax and he responded with some nice trot work and the best canter half-passes to date.

I didn't manage to do anything with Chilli as he's out without a rug and too wet to put a saddle on! We've agreed a timeline for selling Danny now so I'll just keep doing bits and pieces with him until I'm back to being a one-horse rider again as work is mad at the moment.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have had a learning weekend.

I get Caroline Moore to come down for clinics every so often. I put on 9 hours (and the resultant hours of work involved in organising) so I can get a group lesson for myself for 1 hour. Oh I also ran dressage training as well so people could mix and match.

I have been in the doldrums lately as want to move the horse to novice but it’s not been quite going right jumping bigger tracks. Caroline sorted me out but now the hours of practice need to go in to make it unconscious. I pull back around 5 strides out from a bigger jump and then I tend to drive, sometimes I don't even realise I do it. So have been told to click, remove spurs and keep a soft arm. Sounds easy right? The soft arm thing I find virtually impossible around this magic concept of the right contact. I think the issue has come from the driving. I make a decision and go. Except the combination of a slight pull then driving those 5 strides out has been ruining the stride pattern.

The young horse went eventing yesterday. Did a super dr test for a 24 with lots more to come. Realistically I can see her being in the teens on the right day. Then Sjed well for a pole and then xc just overwhelmed her. Just green and this course was not really suitable for a young green horse doing its first 90 with only 1 x 80 under its belt. So I am not too despondent as she got further than her sister who had a horse fall at the first Sj at the same event at the same stage years ago. There were only 6 clear xc in my section which tells you everything. The fences themselves were overall just about fair enough for the level but I think for a young green horse there was a real cumulative effect of it not being a flowing course and question after question. I popped her over the warm up fences again and she wasn't fazed and hadn't knocked her confidence so just strung it up to one of those things. Will take her XC schooling this week and she goes off for another 90cm at the weekend. She is a lovely horse for the future and is very level headed unlike her big dumb grey sister.

Finally, I am breeding from my lovely little Novice horse - well attempting. I am waiting for a negative WFFS from one stallion and the other I had selected to replace it had a foot abscess so that ended my chances this week with chilled and I had already had the mare scanned twice. Bit fed up. I want a world class jumping stallion with impeccable bloodlines, which is with very good jockeys to get it to the top as choosing a young stallion so slightly cheaper than if older and had more competition record. It also needs to add what the mare doesn't have. Even more frustratingly I have paid for stallion no2....... so now waiting for the next cycle and hoping one of them will be fit!

Last edited:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I have had a learning weekend.

I get Caroline Moore to come down for clinics every so often. I put on 9 hours (and the resultant hours of work involved in organising) so I can get a group lesson for myself for 1 hour. Oh I also ran dressage training as well so people could mix and match.

Really interesting video from the Caroline Moore lesson - clearly some really super moments. I've got a weekend camp booked with Caroline and Ros and can't wait!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Really interesting video from the Caroline Moore lesson - clearly some really super moments. I've got a weekend camp booked with Caroline and Ros and can't wait!

I will go to Vale View in next few months to have a 2 day intensive. Its a big commitment as a long way but I think the benefits will be worth it. The grey has so much potential so I worry about screwing her up a lot!

I looked at the camps but I am not bothered about the other fripperies which go with it - I just want the training with CM.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I will go to Vale View in next few months to have a 2 day intensive. Its a big commitment as a long way but I think the benefits will be worth it. The grey has so much potential so I worry about screwing her up a lot!

I looked at the camps but I am not bothered about the other fripperies which go with it - I just want the training with CM.

The timing landed on my birthday, so it just seemed appropriate to book (and i'm taking the 4yo too)!! Depending on how we get on I may well try and do some more intensive during the winter. It is only about 90 miles away, so too far for just one lesson but not unreasonable for two or more.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I’m in rainy York seeing in laws so no plans with my own pony but I am going to visit the yard I have decided on for when we move here to have another look around, work out the storage to make sure all my crap fits and if I need to do some de cluttering! Also going to take Mabel for a walk from there so I can have a nosey at the hacking. going to have a look at local tack/feed shops too (any recommendations from HHOers of North Yorkshire?!).

R&R near Selby isn't too much of a drive from york! Takes about an hour from my bf's house in pickering. Huge variety of feed and brands. I will say they seem to be stocking more and more of the premium stuff recently (£1500 for a helmet anyone?!?!?!) but there's still a good amount of more reasonably priced stuff.