I've booked my horse in with the vets to be PTS

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Thank you. She went with the sun on her back and grass in her mouth. We'd spent hours with her on the days before hand grazing and pooh picking her paddock whilst she was there and just sitting with her. The sun was always out and it was lovely to have extra time with her.

We went up at 7am on Tuesday, got her in from the field, brought her back to the stable and gave her some brekkie (with bute), then she lay down for a nap. Whilst she was sleeping we took down the paddock electric strip grazing fence.

Then we got her up, groomed her, took her for a hand graze and then at 8.30am took her into her paddock. She thought all her birthdays had come at once, all that lovely rich grass she'd always been denied so she loved it. Plenty of lovely photos (the ones below taken that morning) and cuddles and she walked around interacting with us like she always did. Gradually all the horses came in so by 9.30am we had to take her out of her field as she hated being 'on her own' and had cantered down to the gate where we were stood - she never helped herself!. So we hand grazed her until the vet arrived.

We took her into another field round the back, it was awful to watch her walk even on 3.5 bute in 24hrs she was hurting - every day we saw she'd got a little worse and her back end had got worse too but it helped me see that we'd undoubtedly done the right thing.

We walked away whilst the vet injected her and stood behind the trailers, heard a snort and a thump as she fell and she was gone.

I've had my phone switched off most of this week as i keep tormenting myself looking at videos and photos.

Thank you for all your love and wishes, its helped me a lot.

Oh and I got the job so start on the 14th. That will help distract me. And I've been off all week from work at the gym and going for long walks with my partner and dog.

Attachments

• 20210604_132609.jpg
    20210604_132609.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210604_132811.jpg
    20210604_132811.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210604_132837.jpg
    20210604_132837.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210604_133349.jpg
    20210604_133349.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210604_135530.jpg
    20210604_135530.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 73

PurBee

Visit site
Sorry for your loss HB. Those photos are gorgeous, im glad you got beautiful sunny last days to enjoy with her. I love the pic of you both with her....her mouth is grinning alongside you too...i can see her goofy teeth...so adorable!
Big hugs...i hope you’re coping ok.
The new job news is such a blessing , congrats!
X

Goldenstar

Visit site
I glad that bit over for you the run up to day is horrible .
Everyday you will feel better you may have some blips but it does pass .
Its great you got the job .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm glad that the day went as well as it could and that you are not left 2nd guessing yourself. Lovely photos!

And congratulations on your new job! You did extremely well to interview well at such a difficult time.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

We are visiting the yard later- it's something I'm dreading but we will get through it.

I'm holding my stable for the time being, but I don't think I can contemplate not having a horse in my life again. It's much to early to be thinking about it, I need sometime out.

I feel mentally drained by it all, all the weeks and months getting up at 5am and going before work to the yard, hoping and praying she would be sounder, all the hope that the Arthramid would work, the constant up and downs, as she see sawed between sound and lame and watching the gradual decline.

Feel a sense of relief about it all but feel sad we didn't realise the navicular was so compromised before having the arthramid for the coffin joint done as we'd not have put her through it.

But you can always be wise after the event.